• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NOT Zelda
NOT Mario
NOT Horizon
NOT Ass Creed Origins
NOT even hometown hero Hellblade

it went to

What Remains of Edith Finch

Congrats to Giant Sparrow

All winners:

Best Game What Remains of Edith Finch
Original Property Horizon Zero Dawn
Music Cuphead
Game Design Super Mario Odyssey
Evolving Game Overwatch
Narrative Night In The Woods
Game Beyond Entertainment Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Debut Game Gorogoa
Family Super Mario Odyssey
Mobile Game Golf Clash
Artistic Achievement Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Multiplayer Divinity: Original Sin 2
Audio Achievement Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Game Innovation The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
British Game Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Performer Melina Juergens as Senua in Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
How do people feel about Game Beyond Entertainment going to Hellblade and not Nier? I haven't played the former, because the gameplay didn't appeal to me.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
Always so weird when one game runs away with all the awards except GOTY.

Hellblade and Edith Finch are both fantastic so I'm very happy that each are getting a moment to shine.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Loved Edith Finch, not my personal GOTY but absolutely well deserved but I can easily see how this won't go well with some people.

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't be my choice, but congrats to the team. The masterfully executed Lewis Finch part of the game is worth the price of admission in my opinion.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Hm, about how long is gorogoa? I just googled it and apparently it's a puzzle game. What's the difference between Switch and Android?

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deserved. Not my GOTY but man that game was incredible. I don't even like walking simulators but the way they blended the gameplay into the story was incredible.

Also Milton's theme is amazing. Love that song. So simple and very soothing. Congrats

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
As I said in the other thread I'm not sure how it can lose best new IP but win best game? Great game but I don't understand the thinking.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Glad to see Hellblade do so well. It might not have been last year's best game and I've got my gripes with it, but what is does well made it the most memorable.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Ha, I stopped watching the show so I had no idea. This is great. It was an amazing experience, expertly crafted. It's in my top 5 so far.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats Giant Sparrow. While Edith didn't really click with me, I recognize how innovative it is. Parts of that game will definitely stick with me.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game, i would probably take Hellblade or Assassins Creed over it overall, but i can totally get behind this award since that game needs more love.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Divinity: Original Sin 2 winning Best Multiplayer is the most surprising thing on this list, especially considering it was up against Fortnite, PUBG, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Gang Beasts and Splatoon 2.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eurogamer number 2 game of 2017. What a shout

Really have to play it. Bought it ages ago

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Nier is very good in a lot of areas and does aalot right, but none of them except the music really stands out as phenomenal. So it isn't ever really a suprise to me they don't win much. Edith Finch was fantastic from beginning to end and the game was short enough that there wasn't any padding or slow parts and the story was absolutely brilliant.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I consider it one of my GOTY contenders of last year so I approve of this win.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Nier is very good in a lot of areas and does aalot right, but none of them except the music really stands out as phenomenal. So it isn't ever really a suprise to me they don't win much. Edith Finch was fantastic from beginning to end and the game was short enough that there wasn't any padding or slow parts and the story was absolutely brilliant.

It has the fourth most GOTY for 2017.

Most Best Music Awards

And Most best Story Awards

Nier won a lot.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I approve this GOTY. What Remains of Edith Finch was an absolutely amazing experience.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do people feel about Game Beyond Entertainment going to Hellblade and not Nier? I haven't played the former, because the gameplay didn't appeal to me.

Why would Nier deserve it, or even be in the category? That's a category for like social issues and real life things, with Hellblade being nominated for it's efforts with mental illness.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Origins got snubbed, and I think that sucks given the drastic change in direction the series has taken. Still, a nomination for the franchise is very good and I hope Ashraf continues working as a lead at AC.

Horizon got Best Original Property so I'm VERY happy with that.

Hellblade just decimated the awards frankly, and I'm not sure how I actually feel about it. I need to play this game already since it clearly deserves my attention.

Was BOTW really that innovative? Can someone inform me on this? I've not got a Switch or Wii U so I know little about Zelda.

Audio could've went to anyone really.

Artistic Achievement should've gone to Cuphead.

I originally said Ashly Burch should've gotten the Performer award, but I realised it says "Performer", not voice acting so Melina deserves the Performer award. If it was voice acting I'd say Ashly for sure.

Dara as a host was great and I want to see him do more.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Not my personal GOTY but I'm happy to see it. Giant Sparrow made a really unique and interesting mix of stories and gameplay types and tied it all together superbly. One of the few games that genuinely moved me last year. Well deserved.