• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Just posted on their Twitter account. Unreal Engine is mentioned in the thread.

More info: http://bit.ly/2VElaJR

Epic Games will receive the award on Wednesday 12 June in Los Angeles
The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) has today announced that Epic games will be honoured with a Special Award at an event at The London West Hollywood hotel on 12 June 2019.

Tim Sweeney, founder and CEO of Epic Games, will accept the award on the company's behalf. The event will take place during the E3 games convention in Los Angeles, as BAFTA continues to grow its global games activity.

Founded in 1991, Epic Games has become a world-renowned industry leader and innovator. Developing some of the most trailblazing titles of the last 30 years, from its first application ZZT to the Gears of War series and Fortnite.

Its pioneering Unreal Engine, founded twenty years ago, has underpinned some of the most successful and critically acclaimed games, including BAFTA-winning titles Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, What Remains of Edith Finch, Rocket League, Mass Effect, BioShock and the Arkham series.

Today, the company continues to innovate on established industry practice and champion the game development community.

Last edited by a moderator:

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
this thread will go well

i mean the award seems to be for UE which makes sense but still lol

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Why... why now? The ceremony wasn't long ago (and at the time I remember posting that I was surprised that they hadn't done a Fellowship award this year, then looked it up and found that it's not every year anyway). But this isn't a Fellowship anyway, so... wuh?

I do think it's hard to argue against the idea that Unreal Engine does merit some acknowledgement (although again, why now? Surely coinciding it with a year of a major UE update would make more sense), so I'm not hugely against the award itself... it's just... strange.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This is how the award looks.

s-l300.jpg

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I think he is an ass, he deserves it. I mean, Unreal Engine is pretty good after all.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Epic has done a lot over the past 15 years to bridge the gap between systems and allow game developers to share a single dev pipeline for their games among the HD-twins/pc in the mid 00s and with PC-PS4-Xbone in the 10s.

So it was kind of a long time coming

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The guy has made a giant impact in the industry. He founded Epic, a company that had a huge impact on the shareware scene, on the shooter scene, and then their engine(s) has been the hottest one for like two generations now. Fortnite is a cultural phenomenon because he and his company knew which buttons to push despite not having a particularly strong gameplay loop at first. It's undeniable he's one of the most important people in the past few decades of gaming.

It's likewise undeniable that the company he founded is putting workers through 100-hour crunch times constantly. His company's biggest game features gambling-like hooks to addict people and make them spend a lot of hours and money on the game, locking the only good unlocks behind insane grinds or paywalls, even to the detriment of the core gameplay loop - that this is aimed at kids, in particular, makes it even more slimy. Then there's the fact they are happy to screw over paying gamers by forcing them to use their limited store for games where Epic had 0 involvement with to begin with.

If you want to give out an award to a person who had a huge importance in gaming, even in positive aspects alone the guy totally deserves it. It would be nice, however, if such awards were not given out to people based on impact alone, but also based on whether they are trying to make the gaming world a better place or not, whether they are pushing messages of inclusion and honesty or if they're just pushing for maximum profit regardless of consequences. Unfortunately, awards don't work like that.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of Unreal Engine the dude deserves it, but I really hate seeing awards given out to massive dickheads. Feel like people should take ethical considerations into the recipients as well.

Edit:

The guy has made a giant impact in the industry. He founded Epic, a company that had a huge impact on the shareware scene, on the shooter scene, and then their engine(s) has been the hottest one for like two generations now. Fortnite is a cultural phenomenon because he and his company knew which buttons to push despite not having a particularly strong gameplay loop at first. It's undeniable he's one of the most important people in the past few decades of gaming.

It's likewise undeniable that the company he founded is putting workers through 100-hour crunch times constantly. His company's biggest game features gambling-like hooks to addict people and make them spend a lot of hours and money on the game, locking the only good unlocks behind insane grinds or paywalls, even to the detriment of the core gameplay loop - that this is aimed at kids, in particular, makes it even more slimy. Then there's the fact they are happy to screw over paying gamers by forcing them to use their limited store for games where Epic had 0 involvement with to begin with.

If you want to give out an award to a person who had a huge importance in gaming, even in positive aspects alone the guy totally deserves it. It would be nice, however, if such awards were not given out to people based on impact alone, but also based on whether they are trying to make the gaming world a better place or not, whether they are pushing messages of inclusion and honesty or if they're just pushing for maximum profit regardless of consequences. Unfortunately, awards don't work like that.

My thoughts more eloquently.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's a deserved award, even if some people aren't happy with how the EGS has went. Epic, both with the engine and now Fortnite have made a huge impact. It'd be nice if employees weren't crunching there perpetually though.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I think it's a "We probably should acknowledge this achievement somehow" award, rather than one strictly in a category. Think of it like Walt Disney's Oscar for Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

Cant believe I missed that. Makes much more sense now.
oh they've given the award to notch and riot games in the past. interesting.
I know that Notch is a fucking asshat now, but wouldnt you say he deserved to get some recognizion from MC?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The Unreal engine still the GOAT. I still remember playing Unreal for the first time. And I don't think any other engine powered so much awesome games as the UE3.

Gods, I wish Andromeda used UE4, or even a modified version of UE3.

Jun 26, 2018
Okay... one, Why would an American CEO get an award from the *British* Academy For Television And Film?

Two, why not dedicate the award to the entire development team of unreal instead of their CEO who works them to the bone?

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland

Fortnite seriously won a BAFTA? Wtf...

EDIT* Yea for 'Evolving Game' category over Overwatch, Rainbow Six, Elite Dangerous, Sea of Thieves and...uh Destiny 2 Forsaken (isn't that dead now with the Bungie split?).

Seems like a pretty lame category and I've only played a bit of Fortnite but isn't it 'Evolving' pretty much just new skins and dances?

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
Okay... one, Why would an American CEO get an award from the *British* Academy For Television And Film?

Because they give it to people from any country, not just from the UK.

Two, why not dedicate the award to the entire development team of unreal instead of their CEO who works them to the bone?
Technically, he started the development of the engine in 1995 all by himself.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018

Why wouldn't it? It's one of the most successful games of all time, and the underlying tech driving it across literally any platform you can think of and mobile is incredibly impressive.

It's well deserving of any award it gets, in my opinion, and I've never even played it.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Why wouldn't it? It's one of the most successful games of all time, and the underlying tech driving it across literally any platform you can think of and mobile is incredibly impressive.

It's well deserving of any award it gets, in my opinion, and I've never even played it.
Because it not a game the self appointed hardcore gatekeepers approve of.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I mean... in a vacuum I'd just nod and move on. UE is pretty solid and has done wonders for game devs as a whole, after all.

Outside of the vacuum, UE is still amazing but the timing is just all kinds of eyebrow-raising.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

The award is for Epic Games. Tim Sweeney is attending to pick up the award on Epic's behalf.

The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) has today announced that Epic games will be honoured with a Special Award at an event at The London West Hollywood hotel on 12 June 2019.

Tim Sweeney, founder and CEO of Epic Games, will accept the award on the company's behalf. The event will take place during the E3 games convention in Los Angeles, as BAFTA continues to grow its global games activity.

Founded in 1991, Epic Games has become a world-renowned industry leader and innovator. Developing some of the most trailblazing titles of the last 30 years, from its first application ZZT to the Gears of War series and Fortnite.

Its pioneering Unreal Engine, founded twenty years ago, has underpinned some of the most successful and critically acclaimed games, including BAFTA-winning titles Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, What Remains of Edith Finch, Rocket League, Mass Effect, BioShock and the Arkham series.

Today, the company continues to innovate on established industry practice and champion the game development community.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland

Just because it's has a large fanbase doesn't mean it's award worthy! BAFTA's are supposed to be about prestige and Fortnite just doesn't really seem like an award winner for anything for me just like Marvel at the Oscars.

When I posted I didn't know what the award was specifically for, Best Game or whatever which I don't think I'd be alone in disputing except against Fortnite diehards. Evolving Game I can see but even then I'm not sure how deep the 'Evolving' part of Fortnite is. I'm not sure how much they update the gameplay except for skins, dances and maybe weapons. I would have probably tipped my hat to Rainbow Six tbh but the category itself sounds half baked.

MoonDesigner

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

EDIT* Yea for 'Evolving Game' category over Overwatch, Rainbow Six, Elite Dangerous, Sea of Thieves and...uh Destiny 2 Forsaken (isn't that dead now with the Bungie split?).

Seems like a pretty lame category and I've only played a bit of Fortnite but isn't it 'Evolving' pretty much just new skins and dances?
no, its new features, radical changes on the map, new modes and other stuff on top of cosmetics

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Actually despite the tweet, the award is for Epic Games rather than Mr Sweeney, he's receiving it on their behalf though.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
no, its new features, radical changes on the map, new modes and other stuff on top of cosmetics
Gotcha, think it having the same map all the time (I think it does) kinda slanted my viewpoint towards smaller changes.

you clearly only played a bit of fortnite yeah
Huh? Literally like up to 5 hours on Switch and maybe a hour on PS4. Uninstalled now. Not sure what you are getting at.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Gotcha, think it having the same map all the time (I think it does) kinda slanted my viewpoint towards smaller changes.

Huh? Literally like up to 5 hours on Switch and maybe a hour on PS4. Uninstalled now. Not sure what you are getting at.
How can you seriously argue against Fortnite getting an award when you admit yourself you've only played it a bit?

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
exactly what company could they give this award to that doesn't come with associated problems regarding their business or treatment of their workforce, exactly?