• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
A delegation from Bahrain has reportedly arrived in Israel on a four-day visit for talks with Israeli officials, days after US President Donald Trump officially recognized Jerusalem as Israel's capital, according to Israeli media.

The delegation, which was sent upon orders from Bahraini King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, includes religious figures and met with Israeli officials in Tel Aviv, Israeli Channel Two said.

According to the channel, the Bahraini delegation accompanied by an Israeli foreign ministry delegation visited Jerusalem's Old City, where the flashpoint Al-Aqsa Mosque compound is located.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20171210-reports-bahraini-delegation-visits-israel/

People are not happy of course, using the hashtag #البحرين_تقاوم_التطبيع (It translates to #Bahrain_Resists_Normalization) to tell Palestinians that nobody co-signed this. It's the #1 trending hashtag in Bahrain now.

The above tweets are from select anti-government figures, they roughly translate to some form of "We reject normalization with Israel and we stand with Palestinians".

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
Damn Trump for forcing this situation to happen. From a quick Googling, I imagine that's all Bahraini people can do, considering their system of government is a constitutional monarchy?

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
The current Gulf monarchy strategy of throwing the Palestinians under the bus to form a broad front with Israel against Iran seems like a particularly risky play in Bahrain, where there's a Shiite majority. But I guess they figure they can keep on keeping that under control with Saudi arms?

(Note, usually I'd think normalization is a positive, better to push for Palestinian rights directly with the Israelis from a point of mutual recognition, rather than putting them on the defensive by making their existence a negotiating point, but starting that process this particular week is a baaaad look)

OP
OP

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
The current Gulf monarchy strategy of throwing the Palestinians under the bus to form a broad front with Israel against Iran seems like a particularly risky play in Bahrain, where there's a Shiite majority. But I guess they figure they can keep on keeping that under control with Saudi arms?

(Note, usually I'd think normalization is a positive, better to push for Palestinian rights directly with the Israelis from a point of mutual recognition, rather than putting them on the defensive by making their existence a negotiating point, but starting that process this particular week is a baaaad look)

The Bahraini government has America and the Saudi tanks to protect it, I don't think they're scared anymore, especially after Trump gave them the greenlight to crush dissent.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
I feel terrible most for the poor folk that live on either side of that dividing line. US intervention always leads to situations like this one. Always. I can't think of one positive outcome to any of the foreign meddling that this country has done. The ONLY time a country has turned out for the better is Japan, and we had nothing to do with their technological boom.

OP
OP

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
It's interesting, the religious conservatives that riled people up against Jews (they always used the word "Jews", never "Zionists") in mosques are suddenly all for "religious co-existence" in support of this delegation, while the leftist groups and non-affiliated people are against this.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Most of the gulf has been assholes about it. A huge channel called MBC didn't even mention the jerusalem situation, 5hey even fired a reporter for mentioning Palestine and Jerusalem.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I almost feel like this could be what brings down the Gulf monarchies. The monarchies don't give a shit about Palestine and want to ally with Israel to fight against Iran. The average citizens in their countries very much do not want this (along with many of the other problems boiling under the surface in these countries that have been papered over by oil largesse).

Israel needs diplomatic relations with fewer countries right now. More friendship just validates their slow genocide of the Palestinians.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
I almost feel like this could be what brings down the Gulf monarchies. The monarchies don't give a shit about Palestine and want to ally with Israel to fight against Iran. The average citizens in their countries very much do not want this (along with many of the other problems boiling under the surface in these countries that have been papered over by oil largesse).

Israel needs diplomatic relations with fewer countries right now. More friendship just validates their slow genocide of the Palestinians.

I don't believe you understand that word genocide.

The West Bank and Gaza Strip have both seen steep increases in population.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe you understand that word genocide.

The West Bank and Gaza Strip have both seen steep increases in population.
genocide
ˈdʒɛnəsʌɪd/
noun
  1. the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group.
I don't believe you yourself understand the meaning of genocide.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Saudia and Bahrain crush dissent brutally and stifle free expression, and much of their populace has been trained to hate Iran. The Israeli-Saudi alliance will continue regardless of the plight of Palestinians, and Bahrain will follow whatever Saudi does.

OP
OP

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain

The Gulf monarchies always used religious institutions to legitimize their political decisions/views, it always worked with a sizable portion of the population because conservatives are sheep, and Saudi/UAE have a huge conservative population.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The Gulf monarchies always used religious institutions to legitimize their political decisions/views, it always worked with a sizable portion of the population because conservatives are sheep, and Saudi/UAE have a huge conservative population.

But will the people really follow the religious leaders if the religious leaders start saying "Israel is good."

You play with fire when you stoke religion and nationalism to mold public opinion, because when those extreme views you've cultivated become inconvenient, you can't just make them go away. Granted, y'all live there so you have a closer view of the situation, but something you learn as you study political science is that the peoples of repressive countries are always viewed as sheep until one day, quite suddenly, they're not, and the old regime is swept away.

"Israel never did that. Its been done to the Jewish people before, but they have not done that ever to the Palestinians."

The perpetual siege of West Bank and Gaza doesn't bear any resemblance to the ghettoes of Nazi Europe, albeit on a grander scale? Just because the Palestinian population has been growing doesn't mean they aren't being squeezed to a tipping point.

OP
OP

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
But will the people really follow the religious leaders if the religious leaders start saying "Israel is good."

You play with fire when you stoke religion and nationalism to mold public opinion, because when those extreme views you've cultivated become inconvenient, you can't just make them go away. Granted, y'all live there so you have a closer view of the situation, but something you learn as you study political science is that the peoples of repressive countries are always viewed as sheep until one day, quite suddenly, they're not, and the old regime is swept away.

"Israel never did that. Its been done to the Jewish people before, but they have not done that ever to the Palestinians."

The perpetual siege of West Bank and Gaza doesn't bear any resemblance to the ghettoes of Nazi Europe, albeit on a grander scale? Just because the Palestinian population has been growing doesn't mean they aren't being squeezed to a tipping point.

I don't think they'll package it as "Israel is good", the rhetoric so far seems to be "having a normal relationship with Israel will help Palestinians". They know how to do propaganda through religious institutions, they made Saudi conservatives accept Saudi women's right to drive within days, they previously claimed allowing women to drive will let them go on dates with men, or for women to cheat on their husband. Mosque propaganda is very efficient in places that don't have free media to counter that narrative.

Bahrain is different from the rest of the Gulf because it has a Shia majority and a very large liberal population. Anti-government activism is very niche in the Gulf outside of Bahrain, which is why I'm cynical about this.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I may dislike Israel's policy, but normalizing relations with it seems like a very practical thing and something every Middle-East country should be doing. Failing to recognize Israel as a State is just nonsense.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Trump for forcing this situation to happen. From a quick Googling, I imagine that's all Bahraini people can do, considering their system of government is a constitutional monarchy?
The majority of the people in Bahrain are Shiites, and they have tried to do something about their government, but were then crushed by the Saudi led Gulf Cooperation Forces.

Other Arabs telling Palestinians that this wasn't something all Arabs agreed in is hilarious to me. Jordanian Arabs slaughtered Palestinians during Black September; Christian Arabs slaughtered them at Sabra and Shatila; Gulf Arabs kicked them out in mass during the Gulf War; Egyptian Arabs maintain a land blockade on Gaza; in 2001 Lebnanon voted to eliminate the right of Palestinians to buy new property, and those who already had property couldn't give that property to their own children to inherit; in Syria Palestinians weren't allowed to vote or hold Syrian passports; so tell me again how much you care about these people you god damn hypocrites.

It's a fact, that outside of perhaps Jordan, Palestinians are routinely treated worse by their so called Arab friends, than how Israel treats its Israeli Arab population. For example, there is no place in Israel proper where Israeli Arabs are treated worse than how the Palestinians are treated in Lebanon. So don't give me this bullshit fake tears the Arab (and larger Muslim) world collectively sheds to feign support for Palestinians. You support them? Then how come you allow your countries to do to them what they do? Liars.

OP
OP

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
The majority of the people in Bahrain are Shiites, and they have tried to do something about their government, but were then crushed by the Saudi led Gulf Cooperation Forces.

Other Arabs telling Palestinians that this wasn't something all Arabs agreed in is hilarious to me. Jordanian Arabs slaughtered Palestinians during Black September; Christian Arabs slaughtered them at Sabra and Shatila; Gulf Arabs kicked them out in mass during the Gulf War; Egyptian Arabs maintain a land blockade on Gaza; in 2001 Lebnanon voted to eliminate the right of Palestinians to buy new property, and those who already had property couldn't give that property to their own children to inherit; in Syria Palestinians weren't allowed to vote or hold Syrian passports; so tell me again how much you care about these people you god damn hypocrites.

It's a fact, that outside of perhaps Jordan, Palestinians are routinely treated worse by their so called Arab friends, than how Israel treats its Israeli Arab population. For example, there is no place in Israel proper where Israeli Arabs are treated worse than how the Palestinians are treated in Lebanon. So don't give me this bullshit fake tears the Arab (and larger Muslim) world collectively sheds to feign support for Palestinians. You support them? Then how come you allow your countries to do to them what they do? Liars.

Word. Support is in rhetoric only, and even then it's very muted. This normalization movement in the Gulf is just showing their true face, they never cared about Palestinians.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's very sad to see this amount of support for a criminal state in this forum. It's fucking eerie.

Brera

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand what's going on in the middle East.

Do they really hates Iran that much that would cosey up to a much more aggressive and dangerous partner in Israel?

Why are Persians that hated!

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand what's going on in the middle East.

Do they really hates Iran that much that would cosey up to a much more aggressive and dangerous partner in Israel?

Why are Persians that hated!
Something something Sunni and Shia. You would think that being Muslims would bring them together but no.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I may dislike Israel's policy, but normalizing relations with it seems like a very practical thing and something every Middle-East country should be doing. Failing to recognize Israel as a State is just nonsense.

Well said.

The Arabs fucked up back in the day. They shouldn't have tried to annhilate Israel in the wars of the 20th century. Israel won and has done what it has done to this day.

My lack of side taking with the whole thing (which people will interpret as siding with Israel) is that the nation-states formed out of the Palestine Province of the Ottoman Empire. It wasn't Palestinean land before Israel, it was British land and before that it was Ottoman land and before that it was Mamluk Turkic land and before that I don't know.

The Arabs should have organised themselves better in that era to get what they want, or been better at the wars and defeat Israel.

Jews did organised themselves well in the era of nation-state formation, other Muslims in other places did like Turks (What makes up Turkey today was to be split between multiple European countries and Armenia, but Turks organised themsleves in such a way as to tear that plan up and redraw the map how they wanted it, still it was a compromise and large numbers of Turks remain in Greece, Bulgaria and Macedonia to this day).

One of my questions is, what is the Western Asian and Gulf Arab identity? Is it really distinct and divided into Syrian, Lebanese, Jordanian and Lebanese etc. which are more or less nation-states formed out of Ottoman provinces. Or should logically all these Arabs be united as one supra-group the way neighbouring ethnic groups like Turks and Persians are?

And if it is the latter, then why the stress over Palestine in the grand scheme of things? Balkan Turks remain outside of Turkish borders to this day, and you could say "settlements" of Greeks, Bulgarians etc. were made in their historic homelands. But Balkan Turks are ok and aren't in a fight where they live. They either stay and obey the rules of the new rulers or leave for the ethnic majority state. When I look at it from this perspective I just don't get why this conflict didn't end a long time ago.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

I once heard the saying that the Palestinians were the most exploited people in the world, because everyone wants to use them for their own political agendas, but no one wants to actually take care of them or find a reasonable political solution.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would you mind elaborating?
She blamed the Saudi government and accused the Saudi population of not giving a shit. She posted a tweet and then deleted it immediately to post another version of it. Of course people saw the first one.

Some poeple are blaming Saudi Arabia for some reason. Qatar and the Muslim brotherhood backed media are riding it like no tomorrow. It made a diversion between the Arab nations and her comment is just another fuel added to the fire.

Poeple in her position should do the opposite. But I am not surprised to be honest.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She blamed the Saudi government and accused the Saudi population of not giving a shit. She posted a tweet and then deleted it immediately to post another version of it. Of course people saw the first one.

Some poeple are blaming Saudi Arabia for some reason. Qatar and the Muslim brotherhood backed media are riding it like no tomorrow. It made a diversion between the Arab nations and her comment is just another fuel added to the fire.

Poeple in her position should do the opposite. But I am not surprised to be honest.
But Saudi Arabia (the government) is involved, they created the plan of giving Jerusalem to Israel together with the US and Israel. She also didn't accuse the Saudi population but the whole world and its true, If people really gave a shit they would do something against Israel but yet that doesn't happen.

ironcreed

Oct 27, 2017
It's very sad to see this amount of support for a criminal state in this forum. It's fucking eerie.

Never underestimate the potency of religion and ideologies that promote being superior to everyone else. Thinking that you are "God's chosen people" certainly falls under this category when it comes to Israeli policy makers. It's literally no different than thinking that you are 'the master race.' Eerie indeed.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man. Like what the hell are you talking about?

Also she did target Saudi poeple. The slang she used is mostly known as a Saudi slang.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I once heard the saying that the Palestinians were the most exploited people in the world, because everyone wants to use them for their own political agendas, but no one wants to actually take care of them or find a reasonable political solution.
No one actually cares about the Palestinians, what they care about is the Israel v Palestinian situation as a political tool. Peace between the two groups is counteractive to their political agendas.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
Disgusting, and to think the jackass monarch sent a Shia cleric instead of a Sunni one. Trying to paint the Shias as the sect trying to normalize relations while he himself is the one oppressing the majority of Bahrainis.

The zionist regime and the Wahabbis regimes are a match made in hell. How ironic that the only Arab support the zionist regime could muster are from the most backward and repressive regimes available, and as if their normalization of relations is actually sincere and not a aimed at Iran and their regional allies.

Whatever the Saudis have planned by betraying the Palestinian cause, it will fail like all their plans failed, from Syria, Yemen to Iraq.

Israel never did that. Its been done to the Jewish people before, but they have not done that ever to the Palestinians.

Israel did that, it also did it in Lebanon and I'm a witness to their genocidal brutality first hand so you take your hasbarist propaganda and flush it down the toilet.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia

Absolutely heartbreaking.

Cyrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Permanently Banned: Series of warnings and bans for attacking other users.
Again people spew hateful antisemitic lies and Nazi talking points in an Israel thread, disgusting lies about "genocide" and no one bats an eye. Shameful and disgusting.

Israel did that, it also did it in Lebanon and I'm a witness to their genocidal brutality first hand so you take your hasbarist propaganda and flush it down the toilet.

You are a liar and would go to prison in Germany and a few other countries. Get the fuck OUT here with your insane hate and lying anti-jewish propaganda.

Brera

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Israel isn't carrying out ethnic cleansing?

The process may be slower and many of the bloodiest moments forgotten to history but it's still ethnic cleansing.

Sorry if the truth hurts.

WonderBoyd89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again people spew hateful antisemitic lies and Nazi talking points in an Israel thread, disgusting lies about "genocide" and no one bats an eye. Shameful and disgusting.

You are a liar and would go to prison in Germany and a few other countries. Get the fuck OUT here with your insane hate and lying anti-jewish propaganda.

Point the anti-semitism out to me? Calling people anti-Semitic for disagreeing with the State of Israel is one of the most tired points going.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Stereotyping and attacking an entire group of people wholesale.

You are hopelessly self deluded.

Israel is a genocidal state that has massacred Palestinians and Lebanese alike wholesale, go back to living under a rock for all I care. Fact is I've lived through the Israeli occupation of Lebanon while you were probably living in the comfort and safety of a house thousands of miles away, maybe you weren't even born and I know what the IDF did and does and I've seen it first hand and I care little at this point if an Israeli apologist believes me or not, I mean at the end of the day it's a hasbarists' job to deny the truth and lie for the sake of Israel.

To reiterate, Israel is a genocidal country, the IDF murders civilians indiscriminately, the Israeli state forcibly expel Palestinians from their lands and confiscate their houses to build illegal settlements and no IDF soldier or commander was ever held accountable for war crimes, these are objective truths and no German court would ever indict me, and like fuck if I care if they did.

And last but not least, fuck the Israeli state, the IDF and every IDF soldier, especially the son of a bitch that bombed my shop in 2006.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The only insane person is you here. Open a fucking book before calling people liars, and stop blending Jewish people with your disgusting state.

Status
Not open for further replies.