• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Is this made by the people who made Divinity? Seems very similar.
yes

Yup, just what I expected. Very excited for this. I hope D&D has roughly the same ethnic diversity of Divinity 2. Don't want to play a boring white humans, dwarfs and elves fantasy game.

I mean, you can play as an antropomorphic cat, a birdperson who can only imitate other peoples' speech, or a talking reptile in a D&D game if you want to. It's up to you! :D

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I mean, you can play as an antropomorphic cat, a birdperson who can only imitate other peoples' speech, or a talking reptile in a D&D game if you want to. It's up to you! :D
You can be whoever you want in D&D, I don't see why a game based on D&D wouldn't let you do the same thing. Especially Larian game.
That's really good, so the same thing will apply to the NPCs then. I just have never played anything D&D related.

Oct 31, 2017
For all the people commenting on how the UI is too close to Original Sin 2: you should probably consider that the UI is most likely the MOST PLACEHOLDER thing and the part that's going to change the most of everything they are going to show today.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yes

While this is true, I don't know if implementing all those races is in the means for Larian. They've indicated that this is their biggest game yet, and I hope they've got a good collection of interesting races to choose from.

Bethell

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully its not too similar to Divinity, not that it's a bad game its just i've overplayed it to death.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
For all the people commenting on how the UI is too close to Original Sin 2: you should probably consider that the UI is most likely the MOST PLACEHOLDER thing and the part that's going to change the most of everything they are going to show today.

Reskin the UI to look like BG style and hand-paint the character portraits and I'm ready to slap a 10/10 on this baby

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
That's really good, so the same thing will apply to the NPCs then. I just have never played anything D&D related.

yeah, it's gonna be up to Larian, though...

While this is true, I don't know if implementing all those races is in the means for Larian. They've indicated that this is their biggest game yet, and I hope they've got a good collection of interesting races to choose from.

...because of this. I hope we can see some Tabaxi, Kenku, Goliaths and all those "not-standard" races.

Feb 12, 2019
I'm very excited to see what this looks like in action. They're going to have to make some tweaks and expansions to D&D 5e to make it work for a CRPG, but if anyone can do it I think Larian can. I'd love it if this resembled The Temple of Elemental Evil, which is still probably the gold standard for combat in a Dungeons and Dragons game.

As for those bemoaning the lack of RTwP, if you haven't checked out Siege of Dragonspear it's way better than a midquel expansion made 16 years after the fact had any right to be. It's not perfect, but it's a pity that Wizards cancelled all of Beamdog's other Infinity Engine products after shithead-related backlash.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Larian is one of those devs just get keeps getting better and better. Divinity 2 blew me away, will jump into this one day 1.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I'm so fucking hyped. Can't wait for the actual gameplay reveal later.

As for the people who haven't played D&D 5E, I'll summarize some basic things about 5E (the pen-and-paper, not this game's probable adaptation of it) combat:
  • It's obviously turn-based
  • There's a number of things you can do in each of your turns: action, bonus action and movement are the basic ones, the crux of the "turn (or action) economy" of the game.
  • You can use (unless explicitly stated otherwise) your action once per turn. Same with your bonus action - only once per turn.
  • One of the most common actions you can take is the Attack action. Some classes allow your character to start attacking more than once per turn once you reach certain levels - but, make no mistake, this "Extra Attack" is still one Attack action. This means that if your character has the "Extra Attack" feature it has to use one action (Attack) to hit the enemy twice - your character cannot use a physical attack followed by casting a spell under the "Extra Attack" feature, because casting a spell is a different action than Attacking.
  • Spells have casting times: some take one action, others take a bonus action and others take a reaction. That means that, if you have spells slots available, you can cast two spells on the same turn: one that has a casting time of one action and one with a casting time of one bonus action. There's a pretty big limitation, however: if you use a bonus action spell, the action spell has to be a cantrip (which are "minor" spells, so to speak. I won't go into detail about it here.)
  • As mentioned before, there's also reactions, which are "special actions" that can occur on your turn or someone else's, and essentially they are instant responses to a certain trigger. For example, the Shield spell has the casting time of one reaction, and you must cast it when your character is hit by an attack and lasts until the start of your next turn.
  • Movement is always available to your character unless explicitly stated otherwise (for example: your character is paralyzed, or restrained). Your character can move up until your speed (as it appears on your character sheet, and might be affected by spells or certain equipment) in a single turn, and you can break up that movement however you see fit within your turn. If your character has a speed of 30ft, for example, you can move 10ft, use the Attack action and then move the remaining 20ft away, if you want to.
  • Apart from the Attack and Cast a Spell actions, some other actions you can take in your turn are: Dash, Disengage, Help, Hide and Ready.
  • The Dash action means you gain extra movement in your turn, equalling your speed (so if your character has 30ft speed and you choose the Dash action, it now has 60ft for that turn), but -considering it's an an Action- you cannot attack during that turn (unless the attack uses a bonus action as explicitly stated)
  • The Disengage action means your movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks during that turn. Opportunity attacks are triggered when a hostile creature moves out of another creature's reach - so, for example, you are melee attacking a goblin and then you want to flee 10ft away from it, then that movement triggers an opportunity attack against you (which is like any normal attack in terms of dice for that creature) before you actually can move. Also, opportunity attacks use a reaction. So, anyway, using Disengage can stop that from happening.
  • The Ready action gives you the chance to "hold" the action you want to use until a certain trigger happens (for example, "I'll hold my melee attack until this enemy gets within 30 feet of me"), and thus it'll use your reaction if it happens before the start of your next turn. If the trigger doesn't come to pass, then it's wasted :P
That's a very basic primer on turn/action economy on 5E. Hope it's clear enough, and we'll see how that is implemented in BG3!

gonna quote myself if anyone unfamiliar with 5E (or D&D altogether) wanders by and is interested because of Larian/D:OS o any other reason.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
I'm so fucking hyped. Can't wait for the actual gameplay reveal later.

As for the people who haven't played D&D 5E, I'll summarize some basic things about 5E (the pen-and-paper, not this game's probable adaptation of it) combat:
  • It's obviously turn-based
  • There's a number of things you can do in each of your turns: action, bonus action and movement are the basic ones, the crux of the "turn (or action) economy" of the game.
  • You can use (unless explicitly stated otherwise) your action once per turn. Same with your bonus action - only once per turn.
  • One of the most common actions you can take is the Attack action. Some classes allow your character to start attacking more than once per turn once you reach certain levels - but, make no mistake, this "Extra Attack" is still one Attack action. This means that if your character has the "Extra Attack" feature it has to use one action (Attack) to hit the enemy twice - your character cannot use a physical attack followed by casting a spell under the "Extra Attack" feature, because casting a spell is a different action than Attacking.
  • Spells have casting times: some take one action, others take a bonus action and others take a reaction. That means that, if you have spells slots available, you can cast two spells on the same turn: one that has a casting time of one action and one with a casting time of one bonus action. There's a pretty big limitation, however: if you use a bonus action spell, the action spell has to be a cantrip (which are "minor" spells, so to speak. I won't go into detail about it here.)
  • As mentioned before, there's also reactions, which are "special actions" that can occur on your turn or someone else's, and essentially they are instant responses to a certain trigger. For example, the Shield spell has the casting time of one reaction, and you must cast it when your character is hit by an attack and lasts until the start of your next turn.
  • Movement is always available to your character unless explicitly stated otherwise (for example: your character is paralyzed, or restrained). Your character can move up until your speed (as it appears on your character sheet, and might be affected by spells or certain equipment) in a single turn, and you can break up that movement however you see fit within your turn. If your character has a speed of 30ft, for example, you can move 10ft, use the Attack action and then move the remaining 20ft away, if you want to.
  • Apart from the Attack and Cast a Spell actions, some other actions you can take in your turn are: Dash, Disengage, Help, Hide and Ready.
  • The Dash action means you gain extra movement in your turn, equalling your speed (so if your character has 30ft speed and you choose the Dash action, it now has 60ft for that turn), but -considering it's an an Action- you cannot attack during that turn (unless the attack uses a bonus action as explicitly stated)
  • The Disengage action means your movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks during that turn. Opportunity attacks are triggered when a hostile creature moves out of another creature's reach - so, for example, you are melee attacking a goblin and then you want to flee 10ft away from it, then that movement triggers an opportunity attack against you (which is like any normal attack in terms of dice for that creature) before you actually can move. Also, opportunity attacks use a reaction. So, anyway, using Disengage can stop that from happening.
  • The Ready action gives you the chance to "hold" the action you want to use until a certain trigger happens (for example, "I'll hold my melee attack until this enemy gets within 30 feet of me"), and thus it'll use your reaction if it happens before the start of your next turn. If the trigger doesn't come to pass, then it's wasted :P
That's a very basic primer on turn/action economy on 5E. Hope it's clear enough, and we'll see how that is implemented in BG3!
Thanks a lot for this. What a great summary. I'm actually liking this at least on the paper. Let's see how it turns out in couple of hours!

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Thanks a lot for this. What a great summary. I'm actually liking this at least on the paper. Let's see how it turns out in couple of hours!

I know this exceeds the scope of the thread and the BG3 announcement itself, but if you have the chance to play D&D 5E, then it's absolutely recommended! I was a complete D&D noob up until a few years ago and tried 5E... no regrets whatsoever! It's a more streamlined and accesible version of D&D without sacrificing customizing your characters.

Jun 17, 2018
I know this exceeds the scope of the thread and the BG3 announcement itself, but if you have the chance to play D&D 5E, then it's absolutely recommended! I was a complete D&D noob up until a few years ago and tried 5E... no regrets whatsoever! It's a more streamlined and accesible version of D&D without sacrificing customizing your characters.

Agreed, D&D with a good group is better than any video game I've ever played.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
For folks coming into the D&D 5e world blind, here's an idea of what (should) be available for players - hopefully:

Base 5e races: Dragonborn, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-Elf, Halfling, Half-Orc, Human, Tiefling.
(Then there are a bunch of subraces under those.)

Base classes: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard.
(Then there are a bunch of specializations under those.)

Anything else you could possibly want to look up is easily found online.

Like, I fully expect to be able to make my half-elf warlock.... but my Eladrin spore druid is probably gonna be a no.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Agreed, D&D with a good group is better than any video game I've ever played.
...and also slightly ruins every RPG video game in comparison.

Like, I fully expect to be able to make my half-elf warlock.... but my Eladrin spore druid is probably gonna be a no.

I hope they add extra races / classes down the road, especially from Xanathar's considering their popularity.

I'd love to remake the Hexblade Warlock I ran for Strahd but may have to settle for a Fighter/Warlock multiclass.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
...and also slightly ruins every RPG video game in comparison.

I hope they add extra races / classes down the road, especially from Xanathar's considering their popularity.

I'd love to remake the Hexblade Warlock I ran for Strahd but may have to settle for a Fighter/Warlock multiclass.

I think Hexblade is a pretty safe bet. I could see some Volos and Mordenkainens stuff getting in too, though Eladrin may be a bit too separated.

Real question is, can we be a tortle?

May 26, 2018
Why does the last guy look like Emhyr?

EMHYR-VAR-EMREIS.jpg

I thought it was! Like they'd accidentally uploaded a Witcher 3 screen.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Don't like the close-ups for the dialogues :(. Oh, well. Will have to live with this as the isometric view looks dope as hell
This pretty much. It's like a reversal of Dragon Age Inquisition where they had it full 3D and then used free 3D spinning camera for conversation, probably thinking "But we could do this back on BG!" but it's a problem of modes I find.

Bringing the camera down brings new limitations. Now you're paying attention to lip-sync and gestures. This means, probably as implied by your choices that you're gonna see similar-ish choices, because they have to sync up stuff which costs a lot to do well, across a whole game of these dialogue trees.

I'm not completely bummed. I love cinematic RPGs. I'm a bit bummed on behalf of certain classic players that just wanted "Divinity, but it's Baldur's Gate and realtime combat".

obeast

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This pretty much. It's like a reversal of Dragon Age Inquisition where they had it full 3D and then used free 3D spinning camera for conversation, probably thinking "But we could do this back on BG!" but it's a problem of modes I find.

Bringing the camera down brings new limitations. Now you're paying attention to lip-sync and gestures. This means, probably as implied by your choices that you're gonna see similar-ish choices, because they have to sync up stuff which costs a lot to do well, across a whole game of these dialogue trees.

I'm not completely bummed. I love cinematic RPGs. I'm a bit bummed on behalf of certain classic players that just wanted "Divinity, but it's Baldur's Gate and realtime combat".

Yeah, I too am a bit skeptical. It's a huge bump to immersion if lip syncing and character animation are done well throughout the game (like the Witcher 3, say), but I have seen very few developers pull that off properly in large RPGs, because it's just a ton of work for the animators. Mass Effect Andromeda's sidequests (hell, much of its main quest too) were basically dead on arrival from a storytelling standpoint because of a lack of care and detail in the associated animations, for example.

And this is arguably more difficult to integrate, because it's presumably a different camera mode from the one you use for navigation and combat.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I'm curious how - or if - the game models resting. I think it either just shouldn't at all or needs to go all-in and make it a necessary system to engage with, but I also don't really know a good way to do that well.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how - or if - the game models resting. I think it either just shouldn't at all or needs to go all-in and make it a necessary system to engage with, but I also don't really know a good way to do that well.

I'd prefer it to be dropped entirely,. I absolutely love Baldur's Gate and the Pillars games but I don't think the "x uses per rest" mechanic suits video games very well in general.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Looks great. I better be able to play Arcane Trickster or head's will roll.

I got bored with my current character (which is also the first char I rolled in 5E, so I tried doing the most vanilla and accessible char for a complete noob like me), a Fighter/Eldritch Knight, and I've got a completely different one already built, an Arcane Trickster with a backstory I really liked writing, waiting for the chance for me to organically appear in the narrative and replace my current one (already talked to the DM about it!)

Shame about the fact we haven't been able to play in about 3 months. FFS. I'm frustrated about that.