• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I just looked at some spells offered in 5th Edition Dnd since the 3rd edition was the last one I played and man do most of the spells seem like a lamer version of the ones in the 2nd Edition. Can't say I'm surprised.

broad appeal is a blessing and a curse

I'm an old that still plays 2E just for the kind of absurdity that it allows

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a huge BG2 fan I am really sad about no RTwP, but I was prepared for it being a Larian game after all, so I will learn to deal with it. I also hope the game will get more of its own identity instead of just looking like a D:OS 2 clone with so many similar assets and an interface that is almost identical with copied icons straight from OS. I want it a tad more darker, grim and gothic. Hopefully they will improve on that as they develop the game.

I really love that the dialogue is more cinematic and zoomed in. This was previously in my opinion one of the biggest flaws with an isometric game, and now we're getting the best of two worlds!

Intro cinematic is amazing. Loved the fight between the Illithid and Githyanki riding on red dragons which have a lot of interesting history and lore behind them as previous enslaved people who broke free and almost exterminated their previous overlords. You learn a lot of this from Dak'kon which is in my opinion one of the the most interesting companions in Planescape: Torment.

Overall super hyped for this game. I have waited decades for BG3 and now we're finally.. finally.. finally getting it!!!
I mean, there's not even a save system implemented so yeah im expected a complete overall of the UI/icons/fonts

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That was a great live demo, even when it went totally pear-shaped.

Really looking forward to launch, and I'm happy to wait for it to get out of early access.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Kingmaker and it's sequel's kickstarter would strongly disprove that theory. Deadfire didn't sell poorly because it's RTwP, it sold poorly for myriad other reasons including the first game having extremely poor player retention, being a direct sequel to a game no one finished, and having terrible marketing.

Either way, anyone who wants Larian to have made a RTwP game is crazy. Better that they stick to their strengths.

You realize the Divinity series started with Real-time combat, right?

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to quote again, but why do you think I was joking?
Because
A. Comparing Bioware to Larian is not really a fair comparison and I was mostly talking about games in the same sub-genre (which wasn't made clear in my post, I'll admit that)
B. Mass Effect only rarely has more than 3 choices most of the time. You get the 2-3 "Tell me more about this thing" choices at best and the "Let's move the plot forward" choice. And that's also ignoring that Mass Effect has way less (and much shorter) conversations than Divinity OS 2 had.

You realize the Divinity series started with Real-time combat, right?
Before Original Sin the Divinity series was an extremely niche series at best.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
The fact that Swen wasn't even going to say a broad estimate for a release date, the fact that the demo shown pretty much spontaneously combusted right at the end for no apparent reason and the fact they didn't even have a save system makes me believe this is still veeeery far away from release.

Which means UI isn't even CLOSE to final

Dec 4, 2017
Intro cinematic is amazing. Loved the fight between the Illithid and Githyanki riding on red dragons which have a lot of interesting history and lore behind them as previous enslaved people who broke free and almost exterminated their previous overlords. You learn a lot of this from Dak'kon which is in my opinion one of the the most interesting companions in Planescape: Torment.
If there's a race in the Forgotten Realms to deserve extermination, the Illithids are it. Their so-called "civilization" brought nothing but misery, pain and death to countless people.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The fact that Swen wasn't even going to say a broad estimate for a release date, the fact that the demo shown pretty much spontaneously combusted right at the end for no apparent reason and the fact they didn't even have a save system makes me believe this is still veeeery far away from release.

Which means UI isn't even CLOSE to final

They had save system, it was bugged. A lot of shit was bugged.

Early access is planned for release in "next few months" according Swen, once they iron out most horrendous bugs.

Release is most likely H2 2021.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
So let me get this straight, it's called bloody Baldur's Gate 3, so for me, it should play similar to previous games just with modern graphics. They wanted do something similar to D&D only? Sure, why the hell not, but don't call it BG3 for crying out loud.

After the stream, it's an insta NO buy for me. Maybe on sale for like 20Eur. Oh, well.

this balders gate for 2020 to emulate the way d&d plays now not 20 years ago.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game looks fine. These pithy retorts reek of the people who hate new Star Trek because it's not made like it was in the 60s or 80s

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Looks waaay too much like Divinity OS 2 for my taste, I mean certain elements of the UI feel like they were copy pasted. Hope they update them later on development.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Swen talked about it in Q&A at the end. Alignment is in the game in some form, but Wizards asked them to tone it down as they don't want deal in absolute black and white anymore. Grayscaling it, basically.

Which I personally like. Absolute black and white morality systems are trash.
Lol WotC asking someone to tone down the (shitty) alignment system. Maybe just ditch it in the first place, geniuses.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Looks waaay too much like Divinity OS 2 for my taste, I mean certain elements of the UI feel like they were copy pasted. Hope they update them later on development.

If you didn't notice 99% of item icons were directly from DOS 2. Elements of UI were directly from DOS 2.

They just took some ready assets and slapped them in to have something presentable this early on.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
So because one game underperformed, an entire gameplay style that was massively popular with games like Kotor and Dragon Age, its "suicidal"?
Absurd.
Freespace 2, arguably the best space sim, performed so badly it single-handedly killed that kind of space sims for years.

Hell, even now space sims aren't really mission based.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I'm glad that Larian kept one of the defining features of old school CRPG: Being able to publicly denounce the game for deviating too much from the predecessors, thus unworthy of its title.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
It is like I am taking crazy pills.

You are not taking crazy pills. It's the truth, RTwP is neither full action, nor full tactical and that pause in between actions that you want to call tactical just interrupts the flow of battle, it feels jarring and sluggish.

RTwP wants to be a jack of all trades, but is master at none.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Swen talked about it in Q&A at the end. Alignment is in the game in some form, but Wizards asked them to tone it down as they don't want deal in absolute black and white anymore. Grayscaling it, basically.

Which I personally like. Absolute black and white morality systems are trash.
mmmh
let's see how this goes

I hope i can turn off the fucking percentages too, awful awful awful

Oct 31, 2017
How could you tell this from what they've shown?

Also, I'm not sure I understand the difference between D:OS2 style loot and Baldur's Gate style. In both games, you find piles and piles of the same iron swords and leather armor with occasionally interesting enchanted stuff.
There's a big fucking difference, which is why BG2 has the best itemization in any RPG to date while DOS 1 and 2 had a trash tier one.

In BG2:
- items have a very narrow range of stat scaling between early game and top tier, meaning you go from basic weapons to +2/3 at most, then you adventure into +4/5 when you go in the insane top levels where you are basically a demigod.
- Consequently you have a limited amount of tiers for weapons. A common sword will always be the same wherever you'll find it, a +1 magic weapon or armor will be relatively common but expensive, +2 will be a luxury, +3 a family artifact or so, etc. Every time a bandit will drop a iron sword you won't have any need to check it and compare it with the inventory, it will just be the same iron sword. And they are worth so little at one point you can even stop picking them up as vendor trash.
- Most of the difference between magic items in the same tier comes from special skills and properties enchanted on them ("attack twice in a turn", "does double damage against enemies of this group", allow you to self-cast celerity once a day", "negates this sort of debuff", "raise this stat to value X", etc, etc.).
- items are designed one by one, the valuable ones are unique, hand-placed in the game world ad when you find them you can confide on the fact you'll carry them for a long time, if not for the entire adventure.
- Merchants also have a defined set of more or less valuable possessions in their inventory and they can occasionally add one or two more unique items after some specific circumstance.

Conversely, in D: OS1 and 2:
- items range is insane. You start from weapons doing 3-4 damage to end game shit dealing 600 or so. That's a more than 100X scaling factor.
- You drop them constantly, they are randomly generated and stats are ever-changing. This means every time you kill some shit it will be time for a busywork in your already crowded inventory.
- The above mentioned item range also implies that every time you are finding something cool, it will INEVITABLY be obsolete barely a couple of levels later. While I'm not a fan of this sort of system even in games like Diablo, it can work there because you pay attention to a single character. When you are managing a full party of four characters or more, on the other hand, the frequency at which you need to compare items and the one at which you are forced to replace them become WAY too much busywork to keep up with in an enjoyable manner.
- The randomized nature of item stats and their placement works actively to damage the reward system in the game, especially when you have god tier stuff dropping out of a random crate you inspect or popping up in a merchant inventory, while bosses drop useless garbage with stats misaligned for your needs.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
you know what I hope they include?

fucking MORDENKAINEN'S MAGNIFICENT MANSION

Even if it's a free update down the line, I hope we can create and customize our own mansion <3

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
mmmh
let's see how this goes

I hope i can turn off the fucking percentages too, awful awful awful

You still are getting your every single dice roll and you get to see how they were executed, so..?

Making game more accessible while giving all those nerdy numbers and charts to those who want them is only good thing.

Anecdotally, the last biggest RtwP CRPG from a totally unknown developer (Pathfinder: Kingmaker) has 2x the steam reviews than Deadfire and 10% more reviews than Pillars I.

One of the most demanded features for it was turn based combat.

Which will be built in to sequel from day one.

Feb 12, 2019
Lol WotC asking someone to tone down the (shitty) alignment system. Maybe just ditch it in the first place, geniuses.
Like a lot of changes they made in 4th edition, they tried to rework alignment. And, like a lot of changes they made in 4th edition, people hated it and pushed back on it, so they went back to classic 3x3 grid for 5e. For whatever it's worth, they definitely lean heavily on "Alignment is descriptive, not prescriptive" stuff when talking about it in their rulebooks these days.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
There's a big fucking difference, which is why BG2 has the best itemization in any RPG to date while DOS 1 and 2 had a trash tier one.

In BG2:
- items have a very narrow range of stat scaling between early game and top tier, meaning you go from basic weapons to +2/3 at most, then you adventure into +4/5 when you go in the insane top levels where you are basically a demigod.
- Consequently you have a limited amount of tiers for weapons. A common sword will always be the same wherever you'll find it, a +1 magic weapon or armor will be relatively common but expensive, +2 will be a luxury, +3 a family artifact or so, etc. Every time a bandit will drop a iron sword you won't have any need to check it and compare it with the inventory, it will just be the same iron sword. And they are worth so little at one point you can even stop picking them up as vendor trash.
- Most of the difference between magic items in the same tier comes from special skills and properties enchanted on them ("attack twice in a turn", "does double damage against enemies of this group", allow you to self-cast celerity once a day", "negates this sort of debuff", "raise this stat to value X", etc, etc.).
- items are designed one by one, the valuable ones are unique, hand-placed in the game world ad when you find them you can confide on the fact you'll carry them for a long time, if not for the entire adventure.
- Merchants also have a defined set of more or less valuable possessions in their inventory and they can occasionally add one or two more unique items after some specific circumstance.

Conversely, in D: OS1 and 2:
- items range is insane. You start from weapons doing 3-4 damage to end game shit dealing 600 or so. That's a more than 100X scaling factor.
- You drop them constantly, they are randomly generated and stats are ever-changing. This means every time you kill some shit it will be time for a busywork in your already crowded inventory.
- The above mentioned item range also implies that every time you are finding something cool, it will INEVITABLY be obsolete barely a couple of levels later. While I'm not a fan of this sort of system even in games like Diablo, it can work there because you pay attention to a single character. When you are managing a full party of four characters or more, on the other hand, the frequency at which you need to compare items and the one at which you are forced to replace them become WAY too much busywork to keep up with in an enjoyable manner.
- The randomized nature of item stats and their placement works actively to damage the reward system in the game, especially when you have god tier stuff dropping out of a random crate you inspect or popping up in a merchant inventory, while bosses drop useless garbage with stats misaligned for your needs.
So since this is dnd 5e, why would you expect BG3 to have D:OS1 and 2 style loot? It doesn't make sense. +1, +2 weapons are what everyone should expect at this point.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
You are not taking crazy pills. It's the truth, RTwP is neither full action, nor full tactical and that pause in between actions that you want to call tactical just interrupts the flow of battle, it feels jarring and sluggish.

RTwP wants to be a jack of all trades, but is master at none.

Hard disagree with it being "sluggish". I like being able to have all of my party attack at once, getting casting times synced up to where a plan can be successfully executed within a few seconds instead of individual board pieces taking turns moving and acting sequentially. A new big budget version of that system could be something special but I guess if Baldurs Gate isn't doing that I don't know what will.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
That... felt way more like D:OS3 than BG3.
I'm not sure what I was expecting... but it certainly wasn't that much of a clone.

Let's see where this goes I guess.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Like a lot of changes they made in 4th edition, they tried to rework alignment. And, like a lot of changes they made in 4th edition, people hated it and pushed back on it, so they went back to classic 3x3 grid for 5e. For whatever it's worth, they definitely lean heavily on "Alignment is descriptive, not prescriptive" stuff when talking about it in their rulebooks these days.
Mostly to (futilely) combat "I am chaotic evil so I attack and kill literally everything at all times, it's what my character would do" players.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
If there's a race in the Forgotten Realms to deserve extermination, the Illithids are it. Their so-called "civilization" brought nothing but misery, pain and death to countless people.
It was a good idea to introduce them as the main antagonists of BG3. They are in my opinion one of the most terrible and terrifying villains
in the Forgotten Realms, and one of my most hated enemies in the games. It's just something very unnerving about their eldritch nature and them being able to just snap their fingers using psionic abilities to just crush your brain or take over your mind. Also plane-shifting tentacle spaceships is pretty fucking awesome.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Really impressed with the demo today, rawness, mistakes and everything.

One thing I haven't seen discussed much is how much more fully-developed stealth as option seems to be, especially with going to turn-based mode outside of combat. That solo sneak through the dungeon really intrigued me, it makes roleplaying as a thief seem much more like a viable option compared to the original Baldur's Gate games or even the Divinity games because sneaking could be so finicky.

But having stealth not only be line-of-sight but based on darkness, obstruction, and terrain seems really compelling. Especially in conjunction with things like sneak attacks, shoves, and being able to completely ghost things.

God, just hook it to my fucking veins.

Oct 31, 2017
So since this is dnd 5e, why would you expect BG3 to have D:OS1 and 2 style loot? It doesn't make sense. +1, +2 weapons are what everyone should expect at this point.
...Who said I am?
If anything it's one of these things that make me absolutely confident this game could be better than Original Sin.

I just backed Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Kickstarter
Nice for you.

Oct 31, 2017
This looked so cool! Larian games look really good in general, I really want play this and D:OS2... But I absolutely cannot stand Turn-Based combat, like, at all. Such a bummer 😭

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The had the balls to kill a lot of holy cows with 5e, they could have made the alignment system optional from the start. The only things that need to be "evil" or "good" are outsiders literally infused with the belief in them. Everyone else should figure out a character rather than an just pick a totally arbitrary alignment, it's a shitty crutch that has been replaced with better alternatives many times over in other systems.