• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I know, and I think it's way better with the turn-based mod. People were happy to play it without it as well though. It's possible to have both if you put some work into it.

Nah, pass. It's mediocrity of both worlds and neither excels at their best they could be.

Personally I take turn based combat over Pause with RealTime anytime. Game is more tactical and engaging to me as turn based, for e.g. Pillars of Eternity 2's combat was some boring ass shit to me as after relatively early point combat required no input from me.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Really impressed with the demo today, rawness, mistakes and everything.

One thing I haven't seen discussed much is how much more fully-developed stealth as option seems to be, especially with going to turn-based mode outside of combat. That solo sneak through the dungeon really intrigued me, it makes roleplaying as a thief seem much more like a viable option compared to the original Baldur's Gate games or even the Divinity games because sneaking could be so finicky.

But having stealth not only be line-of-sight but based on darkness, obstruction, and terrain seems really compelling. Especially in conjunction with things like sneak attacks, shoves, and being able to completely ghost things.

God, just hook it to my fucking veins.

yeah, stealth in the IE games was fucking terrible. I could barely get it to work most of the time.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Game looks really good. A lot of the UI elements and icons seems to be placeholder. The game looks really good for a alpha, can't wait to see what the final product looks like. Also, I am glad that they simplified display of dice rolls into percentage, makes it a lot easier for those of us who are not used to it.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I'm excited. Divinity: Original Sin 2 was an amazing game and I'm looking forward to the 5e setting. I'm playing through Hoard of the Dragon Queen with people from work but we only play once a month because everyone is busy.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
yeah, stealth in the IE games was fucking terrible. I could barely get it to work most of the time.

Yep, going back through BG1 now and loving my time with it, but playing as a rogue seems like a fucking waste because the stealth is so bad. It feels more like fulfilling the role of an MMO rogue and not really roleplaying one.

With this though, it looks as though I could try a solo sneaky run and have a solid time with it.

vastick

Banned
May 4, 2019
They should have made a new ip in the Forgotten Realms if they were just going to apply the Original Sin formula to Baldur's Gate. This doesn't feel like a BG3 to me.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
There is a pretty major difference between DOS's combat and the combat they showed here: in DOS, each character takes a turn in a specific order, and in BG3, it's phase based. So when it's your side's turn, you can command any or all of your characters in any order. I just wanted to point that out for anyone who missed it.

Oct 31, 2017
There is a pretty major difference between DOS's combat and the combat they showed here: in DOS, each character takes a turn in a specific order, and in BG3, it's phase based. So when it's your side's turn, you can command any or all of your characters in any order. I just wanted to point that out for anyone who missed it.
I noticed, but I'm wondering if it's something they plan to keep.
Isn't D&D an initiative-based system when it comes to taking turns?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Gotcha

sounds good

Fact sheets about the game (story and mechanics)

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You still are getting your every single dice roll and you get to see how they were executed, so..?

Making game more accessible while giving all those nerdy numbers and charts to those who want them is only good thing.
that's why i hope i can turn them off, not remove them entirely

But... that's what dice rolls are
i just don't want the synthetic probability calculation right in front of my face 🤷‍♂️

anyway

some FACTS

LLH1BPJ.png

wDhL6kh.png

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of that looked like D&D, turn-based makes me glad as that real time shit was too much hassle in older BG games and NWN.
Noticed a few strange differences from PHB in the races part of character creation and now every weapon type having a special action is interesting. Some of the action economy seemed weird to me.

where are the alignments?

Probably aren't any. Alignment is mostly just a vestigial feature for RP in 5e which is what the game is largely based on.

For example this is the description of the spell 'Protection from Evil and Good' in 5e.

Until the spell ends, one willing creature you touch is protected against certain types of creatures: aberrations, celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead.
The protection grants several benefits. Creatures of those types have disadvantage on attack rolls against the target. The target also can't be charmed, frightened, or possessed by them. If the target is already charmed, frightened, or possessed by such a creature, the target has advantage on any new saving throw against the relevant effect.

Feb 12, 2019
The had the balls to kill a lot of holy cows with 5e, they could have made the alignment system optional from the start. The only things that need to be "evil" or "good" are outsiders literally infused with the belief in them. Everyone else should figure out a character rather than an just pick a totally arbitrary alignment, it's a shitty crutch that has been replaced with better alternatives many times over in other systems.
D&D is a system that, for better and worse, is tied to more than 40 years worth of legacy and history. Alignment is definitely one of those things that they can't fully get rid of because it's "iconic" in the same way that vancian magic is "iconic" and a lot of official 5e modules play off various "iconic" adventures from the 80s.

It seems like they hit gold with 5e in terms of appealing to new and old fans, but I don't envy the designers trying to figure out what to do with the property next.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
The Production values alone are really doing a lot of work for me here. You can definitely see how a lot of the bones of D:OS2 are being used for this but it's a very shiny package and looks to be really improved upon.

The biggest criticism I can see here is the UI needs some big work. But I'm sure that's something they will address at some point. Just recreating the kind of stonework UI that the original BGs had would do a lot of heavy lifting in terms of making it feel like a true successor

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Swen had me questioning the way I've been pronouncing "drow" (rhymes with cow) all of these decades. Also, the Illithid ship is this:

silverhawks-1986_L09.jpg

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
that's why i hope i can turn them off, not remove them entirely

i just don't want the synthetic probability calculation right in front of my face 🤷‍♂️

anyway

some FACTS

LLH1BPJ.png

wDhL6kh.png
interesting that it seems like being able to see and speak to ghosts will be returning from original sin 2. honestly didn't expect that

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Did they mention how this group initiative is calculated? You're either making investing in initiative boosts very strong or very weak I would think.

It would be somewhat nice to have a setting that hides enemy saves and ac, or shows a calculation based on past rolls. "well I hit with a 15 so i have at least a 30% chance to hit"

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
A few things I noticed through the video;
- Not sure how they will fit that in a Switch screen unless they do some UI rework
- Jump is essentially the teleport button from D:OS2

As I said this morning after seeing the screenshots, I was expecting D:OS2 with a DnD coat of paint and that's pretty much it. But I didn't expect that much of D:OS2 getting ported in BG3, I don't think we'll see that much UI changes within 6 months.

Now, this isn't really a bad thing since D:OS2 is pretty much the best isometric RPG right now, but I was hoping for more changes than that. That's really great for those who haven't played D:OS2 yet, though I guess a modder could transform the teleport action to a jump icon and you would get BG3 early. Sorry, I'm a bit bitter, I was expecting too much it seems. I'm still curious about the story but not sure it will be day 1, I'll wait for the obvious definitive edition one year later with a few patchs.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not really feeling the character designs we have seen so far tbh. The graphics are fine, just not sold on the designs.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Have they revealed the maximum size of your party?

I want Big Party energy.

There were 4 sleeping bags around the camp fire ... so i guess they settled to a party of 4 for now. (it' was funny that by creating a new camp while having only one companion you still think ahead and prepare 4 beds xD )

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There were 4 sleeping bags around the camp fire ... so i guess they settled to a party of 4 for now. (it' was funny that by creating a new camp while having only one companion you still think ahead and prepare 4 beds xD )

Leaked screenshots from yesterday showed at least 5 in one party, but maybe the 5th is temporary or something. We'll see.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I´m loving this, the art style is on point, character models look pretty detailed and the dialogue system its great. Needs more work of course, but its on the right path.

Also im glad its turn based.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leaked screenshots from yesterday showed at least 5 in one party, but maybe the 5th is temporary or something. We'll see.
5 I can live with. 4 just seems to small for what is hopefully an epic and challenging game.

I hope they force you to really utilize your party and think strategically.