• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard from multiple people that this gets the 2097/Wip3out feel closer than any of the other modern futuristic racers.

Comes with good Linux support too.

Turrican

Oct 27, 2017
I am playing it for a while and it is a dream for Wipeout lovers like myself. Besides the main game there are many awesome Steam Workshop tracks.

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I've heard from multiple people that this gets the 2097/Wip3out feel closer than any of the other modern futuristic racers.

Comes with good Linux support too.

Yeah, I just browsed the steam feedback page, people are very satisfied with the whole package, the DLC with more music will be free as well.
I just played it, very well balanced and true to the WipEout formula.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I played it for a bit just now.

Yeah, this feels exactly the same as what I remember the old Wipeout games feeling like. It's perfect.

Workshop support is great too, and there's already plenty of tracks and ships there. Plenty of included content too, this is a bargain for £5.79

nded

Nov 14, 2017
There's a Steam Workshop modder named Enai Siaion that makes killer tracks that are also consistent with the game's aesthetic. Almost all of them are worth downloading.

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
This looks fantastic! Any word on the hopefully inevitable console port(s)? Can't find anything about it but the website says releases in plural so hopefully it wont be too long. Damn, I really want to play this!

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know something about it? Otherwise I can't see why not, they even mention ps1 on their facebook;
"BallisticNG - Free anti-gravity-love-letter to WipEout and the Playstation One. "

I'm not going to claim it's not going to release on consoles, but there is a pretty huge difference between listing their inspirations vs their intended release platforms.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, like 3 hours ago for some reason I decided to listen to Cold Comfort from WipEout 1's OST and I suddenly remembered this project's existence, thinking that I should look it up later today (I played it for like 30 minutes a long, long time ago).

I'll definitely check it out, and I'm sure even without mod support it deserves a console release, these types of games are rare enough as it is!

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Did they ever release that tool that would let you import tracks from the original Wipeout CDs?
I guess they decided not to do it. I've seen some different explanations ranging from wanting to avoid copyright issues to not stepping on some other Wipeout fan project's toes. Modders seem to be uploading Wipeout tracks and ships to the workshop though.

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to claim it's not going to release on consoles, but there is a pretty huge difference between listing their inspirations vs their intended release platforms.
Yes ofcourse lol, I was just pointing out that they even mention the playstation 1 as part of the "love letter" which to me suggest that atleast they aren't opposed to a console port. Or maybe thats just wishful thinking, idk..

But you made a good point about mod support being a big part of the game.

Maybe I should just get this version but my pc setup is less than ideal for racing games.

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
You can also use FLAC and OGG as well. I tried it with the WipEout XL and 3 OST. Feels great. If you downloaded it prior when it was free, you still have the final for free.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BallisticNG is being sold for money now tho.
Yes? BallisticNG is not a source port of Wipeout, it's not using any of it's code. it's a very similar clone.

I, as a user, am free to use data for personal use in any way I want. They're not distributing anything illegal.

To put this to a more extreme end -- there are (were) commercial playstation emulators. They were completely legal.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Played this quite a lot two years ago (or so). Went back in some time back, and much had changed, but it was great. If you're into Wipeout, this shouldn't be missed. It's also not very demanding on PC, so it's a fun one to pop open on the laptop, when you're in between stuff.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Yes? BallisticNG is not a source port of Wipeout, it's not using any of it's code. it's a very similar clone.

I, as a user, am free to use data for personal use in any way I want. They're not distributing anything illegal.

To put this to a more extreme end -- there are (were) commercial playstation emulators. They were completely legal.

Sony caused legal issues for Bleem regardless. They could destroy the makers of this game.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I decided to listen to Cold Comfort from WipEout 1's OST
ISeeYouAreAManOfCultureAsWell.gif
This looks very good for those of us that are fans of the PS1 WipEout aesthetics and physics.
Glad that there doesn't seem to be a barrel roll in sight.
The only thing I didn't like is that it seemed a bit lenient on skipping part of a corner by getting air. I know there's a part of the fandom that loves this but for me when there's not a single point of your ship that can be projected down onto the track, you should be picked up by the wuss-wagon.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
And thankfully now there is precedent to help such cases get instantly dismissed.

So then this isn't a legal issue at all, unless you think anything is a legal issue, because you can be sued for absolutely anything.

It'd be fanatastic if we could all legally ignore lawsuits. A bit hyperbolic and dismissive of my point. Sony might ignore them but I wouldn't take that risk personally.