• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
The young prince is returning to the forest.

In the latest move to turn its animated classics into live-action features, Disney has set its sights on one of its most storied: Bambi.

The studio has hired Geneva Robertson-Dworet (Captain Marvel, Tomb Raider) and Lindsey Beer (Sierra Burgess Is a Loser, Chaos Walking) to pen the screenplay for the live-action remake.

Insiders say the studio views Bambi as a type of companion piece to its remakes The Jungle Book and The Lion King, which were not live-action per se but certainly made to look that way. The two, both hits (Lion King generated $1.65 billion when it was released last year), were made using envelope-pushing CG technology to create ground-breaking photo-realistic and immersive worlds of nature. The studio is cognizant that Bambi is less epic in scope and story and is not aiming to shoehorn a larger narrative onto the classic tale.

THR

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The studio is cognizant that Bambi is less epic in scope and story and is not aiming to shoehorn a larger narrative onto the classic tale.

I wonder what they're going to do then since there's really not much to Bambi.

Dumbo was only 45 minutes originally and they way overbloated and misfired on that reimagining. Bambi is not much longer.

Edit: Oops, I got Dumbo's runtime (60 minutes) mixed up with Saludos Amigos. It's been years.

Last edited:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The studio has hired Geneva Robertson-Dworet (Captain Marvel, Tomb Raider) and Lindsey Beer (Sierra Burgess Is a Loser, Chaos Walking) to pen the screenplay for the live-action remake.
That sounds like a killer job. Take the original, change some minor stuff here and there and then cash your check

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
c4b25acced507763948dbbe7aa1a5722.jpg

Now listen to me young man. I am talking directly into your ear now. You are going to go to your local movie theater and you are going to ask the bastard working the counter for a ticket to Bambi 2. If you do not do this you will be erased from existence in a manner so painful you will never

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe they can just put it on disney plus since i doubt many will be wanting to pay to see it.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I can hear the trailer music now. A bombastic version of some song from the original soundtrack.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Dumbo was only 45 minutes originally and they way overbloated and misfired on that reimagining. Bambi is not much longer.
I'm very curious to see who they get to direct this. Dumbo was awful because it was just Tim Burton rolling wild with the circus theme, lacking a strong source to keep him grounded. But The Jungle Book is pretty good, namely because it uses the original story as a framework & builds new content ontop of it.

I don't know if you can do the same for Bambi, but I'm interested to see who wants to try.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I know, it makes me sad.
The hardest one for me was Beauty & The Beast. Beauty & The Beast (1991) brought so much prestige and dignity to American animation and proved the viability of the medium as a respectable art form after decades of languishing creatively. That movie was sensational for its time and holds up tremendously - better than lots of Renaissance movies that followed, even - and to see it remade in live action and worse just gives me such a bad feeling.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As long as they don't do what they did with The Lion King then I suppose it at least has a chance of being good.

But The Lion King made all of the money so they will of course do exactly the same things again so I don't think that it will be good.

Dec 2, 2017
The hardest one for me was Beauty & The Beast. Beauty & The Beast (1991) brought so much prestige and dignity to American animation and proved the viability of the medium as a respectable art form. That movie was sensational for its time and holds up tremendously - better than lots of Renaissance movies that followed, even - and to see it remade in live action and worse just gives me such a bad feeling.
[/QUOTE
I think the worst for me was the jungle book. Maybe not as bad as Beauty and the beast, but it felt a lot worse for a movie I love so much.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Get the FUCK outta here with your remakes, Disney.

Good lord, they're literally remaking their entire catalogue.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they will reorient this to focus on climate change instead of just hunting.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the badly crowbarred, Disney corporation approved©️™️ brand of progressive values.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

Looking at Disney+ on my phone and Dumbo is 63 minutes. Unless there's some original ORIGINAL version. Or is there a short that shows before Dumbo on Disney+ or something?