• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
320.jpg

According to a new patent published recently, Bandai Namco Entertainment wants its upcoming fighting games such as Tekken 8 to observe how (and when) players are inputting their attacks before recommending them an appropriate timing to make the same attacks efficient and lethal.

The proposed in-game recommendation system of Bandai Namco Entertainment will help players learn whether to slow down or speed up their different attacks.

For example, a player might be countering a specific attack too slow. An in-game notification will inform the player to input the same counter move a little quicker. Hence, boosting muscle memory which normally takes professional players years of training. That and how such a gameplay system for Tekken 8 will allow players to quickly hone their skills to make the Tekken esports scene fairly formidable.

Patent Images

More at SegmentNext

segmentnext.com

Bandai Namco's Patented System Might See Tekken 8 Learn From Pro Players To Teach Newbies

It takes years of dedicated gameplay before players are able to accurately time their attacks in fighting games, a gruesome training regimen which

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I always found it a bit odd how fighting games do such a poor job at teaching you the rhythm of the inputs you need to do for specific combos or punishes to work correctly. This could be a great and fun teaching system.

But ya know, maybe make the netcode a priority first how about that.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
4$ but if you pay an extra 4 you get tekken bowl with no online :)
For real with how harada talked so much about ai during the fgc roundtable Im not suprised if something like this is in tekken 8. It does seems pretty cool tbh

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
My biggest wish for tekken 8 beside rollback is new animation for the whole. Those tekken 6 animation are really starting to look old and with the new character they've showed they can do some really cool stuff. Also delete leroy lol

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
So this pretty damn obvious idea locks other fighting game devs out of ever implementing something similar?
Cool, cool...
No it would force them to implement it in a different way. A different machine learning algorithm that accomplishs a similar thing would be fine. If this program was robust enough they might license it out as middleware. Namco and Capcom, and I think a few other jp devs have an agreement to share technology so I wouldn't worry to much about this patent being restrictive to other devs.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Damn thats smart. I wish I had that as a kid. It took so many years before I naturally got that I was doing inputs wayyyyyy too slow lol.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad to hear a fighting game make the effort in teaching players. You see so much of the fighting game community focus on players ('Just stick with it!') when fighting games have done next to nothing in evolving their approach to onboarding players.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My biggest wish for tekken 8 beside rollback is new animation for the whole. Those tekken 6 animation are really starting to look old and with the new character they've showed they can do some really cool stuff. Also delete leroy lol
Nah, keep Leroy. We need more cool Black characters.

Oct 25, 2017
No it would force them to implement it in a different way. A different machine learning algorithm that accomplishs a similar thing would be fine. If this program was robust enough they might license it out as middleware. Namco and Capcom, and I think a few other jp devs have an agreement to share technology so I wouldn't worry to much about this patent being restrictive to other devs.
I wish I had your optimism. That not how they've ever done it in the past.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I hope it gets implemented well so that new players can play online more. We need excellent roll back net code though

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
*Reads thread*

Is this the fighting game community toxicity I read about in a previous thread?

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like its aiming to build on the Punishment trainer they implemented in T7. Bet they're trying to get ahead on it since they didnt with the punshment trainer and that is very(completely?) unique in the genre.