• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand why they wont get someone to assist them when it comes to online.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure Nintendo is interested (or have the cash) to buy the company that makes Gundam models and other anime/game merchandise. Bandai's actual video game output is very low, and that was true even before the Namco merger.
Yeah, Nintendo's totally not interested in diversifying into toys, merch, anime, film or amusement centers and parks. Bamco would be a terrible fit.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Not really surprised as Bandai Namco also helped Nintendo make Mario Kart GP and Mario Kart GP 2 for the arcades. You can even play Pac-Man in those.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, most likely. It'd be interesting to see the results if SEGA were contracted to do some work. Especially since both were top tier arcade companies that specialized in fighters and racing games.

SEGA doesn't have Southeast Asia asset studios like Namco-Bandai and Tecmo-Koei. Thus, SEGA isn't in the business of producing asset work - instead they hire and contract for it just like Nintendo, Capcom, etc.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
It's kinda funny to me how Nintendo is outsourcing a bunch of their fighting game development to Bandai Namco, while Bandai Namco is outsourcing a bunch of their fighting game development (SoulCalibur 6) to Dimps. Now we just need Dimps outsourcing some of their fighting game development to Nintendo somehow.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo needs more and bigger studios, they're relying way too much on outside help to get even the basics done.

Yep.

But Nintendo fanboys try to make blind-eye toward this by saying "Nintendo don't need to acquire studios" when it's obvious they don't have either enough and/or qualified manpower to handle HD development, hence why they're constantly asking for outside help. This is a consequence from Nintendo's past decision to concentrate their development into small, casual and handheld development in detriment of HD. They're strugging now to adapt to something they should have a decade ago.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo needs more and bigger studios, they're relying way too much on outside help to get even the basics done.
What difference does it make if they outsource it or make it in house, none of these games were delayed so its not like affected dev time negatively

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Nintendo's totally not interested in diversifying into toys, merch, anime, film or amusement centers and parks. Bamco would be a terrible fit.

I'm not so sure. They've always flirted with the tech toy market and larger scale amusement offerings seems to be the next big push at the company with the movies and theme park deals they have going on.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

But Nintendo fanboys try to make blind-eye toward this by saying "Nintendo don't need to acquire studios" when it's obvious they don't have either enough and/or qualified manpower to handle HD development, hence why they're constantly asking for outside help. This is a consequence from Nintendo's past decision to concentrate their development into small, casual and handheld development in detriment of HD. They're strugging now to adapt to something they should have a decade ago.

It would be nice if Nintendo added more studios, or increased the size of their current studios. That said, there is a reason they don't. If they had a much larger stable of studios and employees they may not survive through down years like they saw under the Wii U. It's risk versus reward and they choose to contract employees/companies as needed and that saved them during the Wii U era.

Again, I would love to see them grow their studios, but I think we need to acknowledge some of the benefits of their current model as well.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not so sure. They've always flirted with the tech toy market and larger scale amusement offerings seems to be the next big push at the company with the movies and theme park deals they have going on.
I left out the /s. Bamco would be an almost perfect acquisition or merger target for Nintendo, they're already diversified in businesses Nintendo's looking to move into and their game R&D already works exceedingly well together. On Bamco's end Nintendo represents significant financial muscle and (more importantly) a treasure trove of priceless IP to mine for products and adaptations. There's a lot of potential upside for both companies there, more than there was in the early 2000s when Nintendo was looking to buy Bandai before.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yep.

You realize Naughty Dog employees only account for around a third the staff on any Uncharted or TLOU game right? HD asset contracting is like The Standard for AAA development. This isn't Nintendo making up a deficit in their pipeline, it's simply them following the same model that Sony, MS, EA, Actiblizz, Ubisoft, 2K/R*, SQEX, Capcom and every other AAA publisher adheres to.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I left out the /s. Bamco would be an almost perfect acquisition or merger target for Nintendo, they're already diversified in businesses Nintendo's looking to move into and their game R&D already works exceedingly well together. On Bamco's end Nintendo represents significant financial muscle and (more importantly) a treasure trove of priceless IP to mine for products and adaptations. There's a lot of potential upside for both companies there, more than there was in the early 2000s when Nintendo was looking to buy Bandai before.

I was going to say there would almost certainly be valid monopoly concerns about Nintendo absorbing the biggest third party in Japan but I guess mobile changed that anyway?

Not that Nintendo will even be looking to increase their shares/ownership in BN.

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

Yeah I really hate it when Nintendo fails to adapt to HD game development by... following the same production model used by just about every successful studio producing HD AAA games

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Nothing Nintendo has done in the last few years makes me think that they would go for such a huge merger.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I was going to say there would almost certainly be valid monopoly concerns about Nintendo absorbing the biggest third party in Japan but I guess mobile changed that anyway?

Not that Nintendo will even be looking to increase their shares/ownership in BN.
Does Japan even really care about monopolies?

I don't think a Nintendo and Bamco acquisition or merger will happen but that's largely due the restructuring it'd take at the upper corporate and administrative levels making it less potentially appealing. I think their actual divisions would mesh exceptionally well with surprisingly little redundancy.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing Nintendo has done in the last few years makes me think that they would go for such a huge merger.
Nintendo's like four times larger than Bamco. A "merger" would a pretty gracious act on their part, but that's probably the only way Bamco's board would go for a buyout.

I don't think it's exactly likely but there is a lot of synergy between the two so it's fun to speculate. Realistically Nintendo's bought a whole 3 companies in the past 2 decades and last time they went sniffing around Bandai the company publicly panicked and merged with Namco.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
So Namco, can you please help Gamefreak...please

It's funny, when I point out that GF should work with other studios to develop these games I get a few GF fans tripping over themselves to make it sound like I'm some toxic fan.

But this is how shit works, you get people who know how to do the things you need and enlist their help. That's how Smash is made, that's how FE 3H was made, that's how Nintendo made these games and so on.