• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Already been discussed in some other threads, but I felt it was worth its own thread.
Via Zhuge:

EJEDAUPX0AAzd0z

EJEDAUTWwAA74uq

Lead on Smash is obviously well known so I didn't put that in the title.

Really impressive anyway, seems that Bamco and KT are assisting Nintendo on many high profile projects.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nintendo needs more and bigger studios, they're relying way too much on outside help to get even the basics done.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The Bamco and Koei Tecmo + Nintendo partnerships have worked out really well for all parties. KT seems to work absurdly well with everyone though.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think that Arms is still the most visually pleasing Switch game.

Nintendo needs more and bigger studios, they're relying way too much on outside help to get even the basics done.

Not that I disagree with the first part but outsourcing asset creation is something every game developer does.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I think the question is what Bandai Namco HASN'T assisted Nintendo with. They have a pretty solid business relationship.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Produced approximately half of visual assets in MK8DX is interesting. Did they do any work on MK8 on Wii U? I figured for the most part it was a straight port job, unless they mean the new content like battle maps.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
They were also supposed to do MP4 before it got canned and were allegedly supposed to bring out a new Ridge Racer to the Switch, I'm surprised Tekken 7 never made it with the closeness both companies have.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: ARMs runs at 1080p/60fps, something neither Tekken nor Soul Calibur manage on the base systems.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Good, outsourcing is good and Nintendo have so many IPs they can't handle them internally anymore. I'm happy this is a thing. Mario Kart, Smash and Fire Emblem are great games.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I find it kinda funny how they don't even highlight Spring Man in stuff like this anymore. It's mainly Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Twintelle, & Mechanica (no Min Min, weirdly enough).

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They were also supposed to do MP4 before it got canned and were allegedly supposed to bring out a new Ridge Racer to the Switch, I'm surprised Tekken 7 never made it with the closeness both companies have.
If the PS4 can't run the game at 900p, a Switch version of Tekken 7 would run like shit.

Oct 25, 2017
That's literally not how this works. Outsourcing talent to help create assets for large games is factually the norm. Do you think Capcom or Sony keep everything strictly inhouse for their big games? Monster Hunter World and RE2 had the help of like more than a dozen different external companies providing manpower.

Like the size of Nintendo's central development staff is triple the total staff of Bandai Namco Entertainment, and almost matches the total staff of Capcom. They're all working on different games, developing and creating assets for several different projects. If outsourcing that work helps them get out their games faster and more efficiently then that's what happens.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird that Namco's out there working as some kind of asset outsourcing studio for Nintendo.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
If and i mean, if Nintendo is working on a new Mario Kart for Switch, Bamco will probably be involved.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
If the PS4 can't run the game at 900p, a Switch version of Tekken 7 would run like shit.

"shit" is subjective, are you talking by your perspective "Ark: Survival Evolved" on Switch or "Doom/Witcher 3" levels, because I'm fine with "Doom/Witcher" levels dynamic 540p on my handheld. I'm sure under the correct porting studio they could have it run fine.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Err, okay? Those games are doing way more visually.

It's not to say they're bad(although 720p on XBO isn't too hot) but I find interesting that it manages higher performance metrics on a much weaker platform, whilst still be one of the best looking games on the system. It's a testament to how good ARMs is.

Kinda weird that Namco's out there working as some kind of asset outsourcing studio for Nintendo.

I think their South East Asian studios have been producing assets for some other publisher's games too.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
"shit" is subjective, are you talking by your perspective "Ark: Survival Evolved" on Switch or "Doom/Witcher 3" levels, because I'm fine with "Doom/Witcher" levels dynamic 540p on my handheld. I'm sure under the correct porting studio they could have it run fine.
A fighting game like Tekken 7 running at 30fps is not a scenario you'd want, trust me.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Outsourcing is normal for things like this.

Wait until some people find out about Tose and Dimps.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see which series they highlight at the very top of their products list... đź‘€

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me, I've been meaning to pick up ARMS. Holidays are fast approaching and this is the closest I'll get to throwing a few punches at a few of the folks.

Seriously, though. Kudos to Bandai Namco, they've done some fabulous work, and I hope their solid partnership with Nintendo continues.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Outsourcing is normal for things like this.

Wait until some people find out about Tose and Dimps.
Neither TOSE or Dimps are one of the biggest video game publishers in the world. That's what makes this relationship abnormal. It's like Sony or Microsoft hiring EA to develop assets for them.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Neither TOSE or Dimps are one of the biggest video game publishers in the world. That's what makes this relationship abnormal. It's like Sony or Microsoft hiring EA to develop assets for them.
Except Nintendo actually owns stock in namco bandai hell namco was even making Metroid prime 4

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if EA made a business of doing contract work like this, then it'd be similar. Bamco just made it a money making pillar