• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Article from MCVUK:

Bandai Namco's Hoerdt on how Epic Games Store and subscription models are potential 'threats'

"We cannot do everything and Japanese [companies] are not risk averse but we're going slowly. So we have a full platform strategy. The main focus for us is the consumer and the brand. And for each brand we decide what's the best way to satisfy the consumer and to engage the widest audience possible. So for instance, I don't see any point of putting Tekken 7 (pictured above) on Epic Store. Epic is just another store. It's fantastic, they have a lot of strength and [lots of] users, the business model is attractive to us because it's more profitable but still, their interest is, if I'm correct, exclusivity. And this is not our vision. We want our content to be available for as many fans as possible. I don't think we'll deal with Epic in the short term, while we have this strategy. But of course, if they're open, we'll go there."

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's fantastic, they have a lot of strength and [lots of] users, the business model is attractive to us because it's more profitable but still, their interest is, if I'm correct, exclusivity. And this is not our vision. We want our content to be available for as many fans as possible.

Well fucking said.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling; Accumulated Infractions
I am kinda disappointing. The meltdown over EGS Elden ring exclusivity might have broken this website lol.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Still wouldn't be surprised if EGS managed to grab another big Japanese game. A lot of them are on Unreal now, partly because Epic has been laying the groundwork for Japanese developers for over a decade now.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Still wouldn't be surprised if EGS managed to grab another big Japanese game. A lot of them are on Unreal now, partly because Epic has been laying the groundwork for Japanese developers for over a decade now.

I feel like FFVII Remake is the prime contender but that is still a ways off. Maybe 2021?

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's fantastic, they have a lot of strength and [lots of] users, the business model is attractive to us because it's more profitable but still, their interest is, if I'm correct, exclusivity. And this is not our vision. We want our content to be available for as many fans as possible.

Bandai Namco the GOAT

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I'm confused, Epic doesn't require exclusivity for their store right? So shouldn't that mean they just put their games on both?

Nov 14, 2017
I'm confused, Epic doesn't require exclusivity for their store right? So shouldn't that mean they just put their games on both?
At least according to the DARQ developer, they tend to turn devs away if they don't agree to exclusivity. The exception is really big games like Cyberpunk and Vampire the Masquerade 2 that they'd be crazy to not have on the store regardless of exclusivity.

May 18, 2018
The main focus for us is the consumer and the brand
I'm pretty sure the brand was what's important. They probably weighed the options and came to the conclusion that it's more damaging to them to all of a sudden switch things up and just be on EGS. Would have to spend all that extra money on PR

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

First and foremost, Epic wants exclusives on their store in other to hurt Steam and other stores. There will be times where very highly anticipated titles will have a release on EGS as well as other stores like Cyberpunk 2077 and Vampire Bloodlines 2 because 1) they gotta make their store look legit and not just a store that pinches games and 2) they'd be dumb enough to wave off those games since I'm sure there are customers who were probably sold on EGS and would want to get those games there.

I'm sure if Epic Games will allow it, you'll see Bamco games on there too. It's just Bamco does not want to be on the Epic Games Store only.

Jun 14, 2019
i mean everytime a company has done pr saying we are staying where we are currently their next game has been egs exclusive, soooooo

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
That's good to hear.

I was honestly suprised that Epic didn't manage to take Double Fine's just recently released RAD, with it being an Unreal Engine game, that Tim Sweeney/Epic tweeted about before the release. Because of that, and how other games have been pulled from Steam just before releases, I didn't preorder this, like I otherwise do with Double Fine's games.

But this explains it, and I like what I read. It's good see that some companies state they think in broader terms then Epic's short terms fixes/moneyhatting.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I would be shocked if Epic didn't ease their exclusitivity rules for Elden Ring like they did for VtMB2 and Cyberpunk. Maybe they just haven't had actual talks yet?

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent. They get it.

They do. That's kind of what started the whole Darq story. Epic told the dev: Exclusive or you don't sell on our store.

Extremely large games like Cyberpunk get excluded from this rule though.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Excellent. They get it.

They do. That's kind of what started the whole Darq story. Epic told the dev: Exclusive or you don't sell on our store.

Extremely large games like Cyberpunk get excluded from this rule though.
I don't really understand how one example from a small indie game, alone, gets expanded into "everything that isn't the most anticipated AAA game of the past two years"

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand how one example from a small indie game, alone, gets expanded into "everything that isn't the most anticipated AAA game of the past two years"
A similar comment was made when the Assault Android Cactus dev (I think) contacted them.

They are only interested in exclusives right now. But they obviously don't want to miss out on the top anticipated games, so they bend a little for those. Cyberpunk and VtM 2 are the only 2 examples right now.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
A similar comment was made when the Android Assault Cactus dev (I think) contacted them.

They are only interested in exclusives right now. But they obviously don't want to miss out on the top anticipated games, so they bend a little for those. Cyberpunk and VtM 2 are the only 2 examples right now.
What the heck is an android assault cactus and how is it comparable to Bandai Namco

LRB1983

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Samurai Shodown devs turned down an exclusivity deal too.
Seems EPIC didn't realize SNK has even more chinese money than them. It's not just indie games is everything not AAA.
Would be cool if they share Cyberpunk and Vampire sales numbers by "launcher".

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Epic can't even afford the "minimum guarantee" type of deal they usually give, when it comes to Bamco handing them a year of exclusivity for a game like Elden Ring.

"Hey we'll need $300,000,000. Hello, hello, are you there Tim?"

If they did it everyone would up their asks.