• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 24, 2017
So, as most are aware, the "sophomore slump" is a phenomenon in which an artist's second work fails to overcome or match their original effort. I started thinking about this in regards to music, trying to think of artists that actually had a better second album. Daft Punk's Discovery almost certainly fits, though I know some would argue Homework was better. Most I think would argue Kendrick Lamar's GKMC is better than Section 80, too. So, what are some other examples?

Powerpuff

Oct 28, 2017
NirvanaNevermindalbumcover.jpg

Gorillaz_Demon_Days.PNG

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
The_Marshall_Mathers_LP.jpg

Technically his 3rd album, but we all know Slim Shady LP was his debut album.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

One of the best examples for this because their legacy only really started with this album. Some more

Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Pavement - Crooked Rain
Mastodon - Leviathan
Run the Jewels - RTJ2
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food (still their best)
QOTSA - Rated R
Danny Brown - XXX
Grizzly Bear - Yellow House
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Kanye - Late Registration

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Kendrick Lamar beat the sophomore slump so hard that I actually saw reviews around release claiming that Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City is one of the best debut albums ever made, despite it being his second studio album.

Nivana's Nevermind is also a good one like this, you would be surprised how many people don't know Bleach exists.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Led Zeppelin II is an incredible album. LZ1 has Dazed and Confused, but overall I'd rank LZ2 above it. Whole Lotta Love, What Is And What Should Never Be, Ramble On, Bring It On Home, Heartbreaker... there's a good case that it's their most consistent work from start to finish.

If you count Opiate (an EP) as Tool's first album, then Undertow > Opiate. If you start with Undertow, then Aenima is their best work.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
The Killers - Sam's Town
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
The Strokes - Room on Fire

My favorite examples of bands that had a STELLAR debut album that lead to a near perfect follow up record.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Honestly, Sad Wings of Destiny is still my favorite Judas Priest album, but that's not likely a very popular opinion.

Some other bands where their second album is arguably their best:

Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
In Flames - The Jester Race

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
My Bloody Valentine's second album is one of the most critically acclaimed albums of the 90s. Loveless is beautiful.

Smashing Pumpkins' second album Siamese Dream is so damn good too

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
1200x630bb.jpg

Unless we're counting an EP that wasn't really pushed. I'd argue that Sap is better than Facelift anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Bob Dylan the freewheelin bob Dylan is a vast improvement over his eponymous debut and transformed him from another folk singer into what he became over the rest of the sixties and even today.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Circa%20Survive_17.jpg

Juturna was awesome but the production was messy. On Letting Go was a lot more focused and sounds so good while still being trippy. Unfortunately Circa peaked here.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Bad Religion. First album is awesome. Second was some strange experimental thing. Then the rest has been back to form.

Er until The Gray Race. But then they fixed that too :p

Edit:
Oh wait... I totally read this wrong.

Herm... I dunno if this is awful for me to say this but Queen II is my favorite Queen album and took everything rad about Queen I and jacked it up to 11.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The Infamous Mobb Deep

Hell on Earth

"Get your spot took we rob land like white man/plans to over throw your whole shit while shaking your hand motherfucker"
SPybtKl_d.jpg

Dec 16, 2017
Agree with

Radiohead,
Grizzly Bear
Pixies
Smashing Pumpkins
Alice in Chains
Deftones

I immediately had to think of these bands/albums:

220px-YouForgotItInPeople2.jpg

1941205.jpg

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017
The Sisters of Mercy - Floodland
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Ministry - Twitch, or The Land of Rape and Honey depending on if you think With Sympathy "counts'.
Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses
The Cult - Love

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Fall Out Boy and From Under The Cork Tree, which, actually has a song titled "Sophmore Slump or Comeback of the Year"

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Muse's Origin of Symmetry is arguably their best album. It's definitely my favourite at least.

c75fc2f406324887c8db17fadf7ed2bd.jpg

They didn't really start to slump until The Resistance and even then I felt like Drones was a step in the right direction again.