• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What was the better fight scene?

• Batman vs. Bane in DKR

• Winter Soldier vs. Captain America in Cap2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Bane vs Bats might be better on a emotional level, but Cap vs Bucky is still good in that regards, and a better fight. It has some really good weight to it. Some bit too fast cuts here and there, but I still think Winter Soldier has some of the best fights in a superhero movie by far. Honestly the final Cap vs Bucky fight is probably even better, if only cause it has more of a emotional impact.

Last edited:

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bane and Batman could've been cat-slapping each other as choreography and I still might prefer it over the TWS one if the overall tone and atmosphere was maintained + Hardy's performance.

Also, what is this sudden versus match of nitty-gritty comic book scenes lately?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
You done screwing up, OP. A poll is supposed to be presenting options of similar quality for people to vote. There's no point for a poll when it's such blatantly lopsided even without looking at the results.

Jan 10, 2018
Not that I disagree that movies should aim for more but I think there's always gonna be place for movies just delivering their promises as advertised. I don't exactly look for The Raid or John Wick movies for political intrigue for example lol

To be on topic of the Bane fight though, with the context of two experienced and skilled fighters, even after appreciating how well done the atmosphere was and the heavy weight of the narrative for that fight, why didn't they aim for more like maybe better fight choreography? Goes both ways I guess.

You could very easily improve the Cap fight without any politics. Make the reveal real quick and let Cap fight for his life, knowing he goes up against his best friend. Bucky would look more crazy(which also tells the audience something happened to him), let Cap be more desperate, while the reveal affects him emotionally.

As it is, the fight scene achieves nothing.

Oct 27, 2017
The winter soldier fight was not perfect, there are a lot of cuts in it. It's still more of an exciting battle though. The music, intensity and speed of movement make it more fun to watch. The way the knife is integrated is amazing.

Bane vs batman is more of a realistic fight in the sense that each strike seems to have lots of weight behind it.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The winter soldier fight was not perfect, there are a lot of cuts in it. It's still more of an exciting battle though. The music, intensity and speed of movement make it more fun to watch. The way the knife is integrated is amazing.

Bane vs batman is more of a realistic fight in the sense that each strike seems to have lots of weight behind it.
It's so strange seeing that quick cut, Raid knock off being praised so highly. The knife thing is weirder sincs emphasis on the knife isn't important. Bourne's fights with pens, news papers, etc emphasis something. A knife? How standard.

I think a lot of MCU fans saw knockoff Raid moves and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It's so strange seeing that quick cut, Raid knock off being praised so highly. The knife thing is weirder sincs emphasis on the knife isn't important. Bourne's fights with pens, news papers, etc emphasis something. A knife? How standard.

I think a lot of MCU fans saw knockoff Raid moves and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Or maybe using knockoff Raid moves has greater impact in a movie in which you give even half a shit about any of what's happening because it's an actual story with characters in it and not just a stunt reel pretending to be a movie.

Sorry, Raid stans, it's impressive but dull.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
The Batman vs Bane fight is one of the worst executed fights I think I've ever seen in a comic book movie.

Didn't help that I couldn't understand a single word Bane said in the theatre I watched it in. Horrible audio mixing probably robbed that fight of any emotional impact it might have had but that was one of the more frustrating superhero movies I've seen.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Or maybe using knockoff Raid moves has greater impact in a movie in which you give even half a shit about any of what's happening because it's an actual story with characters in it and not just a stunt reel pretending to be a movie.

Sorry, Raid stans, it's impressive but dull.
The Raid is a martial arts spectacle. That's kind of the point of the movie. Raid 2 was supposed to be Raid 1 but if I recall the budget wasn't there so he made Raid 1 instead.

But the fight in TWS doesn't highlight anything about the characters. You are literally watching a spectacle with no substance. You could splice in a black screen that says they fought and cut to Cap seeing who is he and and the effect is the same. It's just a spectacle fight with zero character weight from the characters. Compare it to Bourne where the fights emphasis his creativity and ability to adapt. He uses pens, news papers, and cleverness to get the leg up. A fight scene does more than throw punches because you have to understand the context for the fight.

Oct 28, 2017
Why do people think the TWS fight scene is good when it has a bunch of poor cuts that make the action tough to track. The hand-to-hand combat is cut so close that you can barely see it. Just because the DKR fight is poorly choreographed doesn't mean that the TWS fight is well put together.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people think the TWS fight scene is good when it has a bunch of poor cuts that make the action tough to track. The hand-to-hand combat is cut so close that you can barely see it. Just because the DKR fight is poorly choreographed doesn't mean that the TWS fight is well put together.
Probably because it's not filled with a bunch of punches that barely connect and look sloppy as fuck.

"THEY CUT THE CAMERA MORE THAN ONCE PER FIVE SECONDS" isn't a great critique when we're directly contrasting it to a garbage fight with a villain doing a John Cleese impersonation through a bass amp looking like he's a grandpa fighting his chess buddy.

Oct 28, 2017
Probably because it's not filled with a bunch of punches that barely connect and look sloppy as fuck.

"THEY CUT THE CAMERA MORE THAN ONCE PER FIVE SECONDS" isn't a great critique when we're directly contrasting it to a garbage fight with a villain doing a John Cleese impersonation through a bass amp looking like he's a grandpa fighting his chess buddy.
That point would only make sense if I was arguing TDK had a better choreography.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I like the TDKR scene but it just looks bad. Hardy actually comes off better, he appears to have some moves, hits slow but harder. Bat-bale just looks ineffective. You might argue that's the point of the scene, but he doesn't look good in other scenes vs the goons either. Still kinda slow and there's no force behind his hits either, they don't seem to connect.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Not sure how they're comparable at all.

Bane vs Batman is shit out of a horror film. It's someone being mentally and physically broken in front of your eyes as dread kicks in and you realise Batman is utterly, utterly fucked. Cap vs WS is also part of a really intricate sequence, it's not just their fight it's the attack on the car and Widow fleeing WS et al.

The only similarity is they're both technically action scenes, but it's like comparing a steak to a Sunday roast.

ETA - saying Cap vs WS is a generic fight is proper bullshit. The quick cuts are clearly their way of showing how these two are fighting at enhanced speed that the camera can barely pick up. As exemplified by the fact that the two actors did most the choreography themselves. Bucky's knife catch in particular, the actor did that shit for real. To act like there's no skill involved is ludicrous.

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how they're comparable at all.

Bane vs Batman is shit out of a horror film. It's someone being mentally and physically broken in front of your eyes as dread kicks in and you realise Batman is utterly, utterly fucked. Cap vs WS is also part of a really intricate sequence, it's not just their fight it's the attack on the car and Widow fleeing WS et al.

The only similarity is they're both technically action scenes, but it's like comparing a steak to a Sunday roast.

ETA - saying Cap vs WS is a generic fight is proper bullshit. The quick cuts are clearly their way of showing how these two are fighting at enhanced speed that the camera can barely pick up. As exemplified by the fact that the two actors did most the choreography themselves. Bucky's knife catch in particular, the actor did that shit for real. To act like there's no skill involved is ludicrous.
Lol what? This isn't anime.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, I know goddamn well you're not gonna argue Rises has the better fight scene of these two.

I know you like TDKR more than every MCU movie, that's one crazy thing, but I can't even imagine arguing against this.

Yes, it's not only better but VASTLY superior.

I barely remember the Bucky fight beyond a bunch of quick cuts. However, the Bane fight was clear and had amazing sound design such that you felt the weight of each punch. It's an amazing brawl, especially considering Nolan's track record with fight scenes. The Bane fight still sticks with me, I couldn't even recall which Bucky fight the OP was referring to.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the Bane fight held much more impact for me. Because it's a decimation. It's nearly silent, just brutal violence against a character that's supposed to be rather dominant. I was disappointed by the movie as a whole, but I feel like this fight really had an impact on the whole audience when I watched it.

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

This is a bit strange. If you watch plenty of martial arts movies you will notice that a lot of fights (mostly 1 v X) tend to become kind of lol worthy. Ever watch The Raid 2 where at the end he storms the restaurant and he throws an empty water jug at a guy and he literally falls down in completely agony for about 2 minutes as the protag fights people? Or in Raid 1 where it's 2 v 1 and one kind of goes off-screen for a little to wiggle in agony? A lot of fight scenes don't actually make a lot of sense as you go for the spectacle while adding in what makes the characters unique IE Bourne using random house hold items to emphasize his cleverness and quick thinking. Just because WS does a knife flip, or they have connecting punches doesn't automatically make a fight good. It's more about how its staged, shot, and what it adds to the story. You have to remember that a fight scene is more than just punches but part of the overall film. If it's just a fight scene just because the movie NEEDS a fight scene then it will always peg a bit lower. This is pretty true for a lot of blockbusters that just throw in action as if it's just needed because a focus group got bored.

Like, Eli vs Agent in Boardwalk Empire is a way better fight scene than TWS and it's literally 2 dudes brawling in a living room because, as I've said, it's more than just how flashy the moves are.

Edit: To compare even fights scenes online, Bane v Batman has 14 milion views while Cap v TWS has 1.3 million. This just shows how forgettable the action kind of is for a series THIS BIG. The Raid, a MUCH SMALLER film, has more views for it's drug room scene (1.6 million). Jaka v Maddog has 1.8. Raid 2 has millions of views too. I don't believe that TWS had that much of an impact on viewers as a lot of people think it did. For a big franchise, no one seems to really care to go back and rewatch clips of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's not only better but VASTLY superior.

I barely remember the Bucky fight beyond a bunch of quick cuts. However, the Bane fight was clear and had amazing sound design such that you felt the weight of each punch. It's an amazing brawl, especially considering Nolan's track record with fight scenes. The Bane fight still sticks with me, I couldn't even recall which Bucky fight the OP was referring to.
I can't remember therefore not good isn't an argument.

Watch this, then look me in the fucking eyes and say this is inferior.

Oct 27, 2017

Funny you should say that, I actually saw the raid before I saw winter soldier and my immediate thoughts were "whomever did the choreography has either seen the raid or worked on it." It looked very influenced by that film.

I think the knife works in that context because they're both soldiers using weapons throughout, and that kind of knife fist striking blend really isnt that common. I suppose it speaks to just how poorly a lot of action is shot that something like that really stands out. I used to like Bourne fights too, but it just became way too frantic and hard to follow with the camera movements.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick camera cuts aren't a bad thing on principle just because you watched a video essay. When done well, it works. Winter Soldier did it well.

Oct 28, 2017
Quick camera cuts aren't a bad thing on principle just because you watched a video essay. When done well, it works. Winter Soldier did it well.
No, it really didn't. It uses quick cuts to fake speed, but that just makes it a mess to watch.

And I feel I can say with confidence that cuts don't add any value if the stunts can be done without cuts being used to speed things up.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember therefore not good isn't an argument.

Watch this, then look me in the fucking eyes and say this is inferior.

*Yawn*

Bunch of cool action doesn't make an action scene great, it's the same reason the prequel fights are dumb even though they are vastly superior on a technical choreography level than the OT. Empire Strikes Back has the best lightsaber fight because of the emotion, the build-up, the little story the fight itself is telling, and the restraint. I find Luke's little spin move a thousand time more satisfying and cool to watch that all of Maul's flips. The same goes for the Bane fight. Bane whipping around to land a brutal blow on Batman is something that sticks with me. What am I attached to in this Bucky fight besides some slick moves?

It's like when people think the ANH Obi-Wan fight needs to be remastered when it's perfect as it is, they just don't get the purpose of the fight.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It actually didn't. Bourne did it well. It didn't actually work to make you believe they were stronger or faster. The impacts against cars or throwing objects did, and those didn't need quick cuts.

Oct 25, 2017
*Yawn*

Bunch of cool action doesn't make an action scene great, it's the same reason the prequel fights are dumb even though they are vastly superior on a technical choreography level than the OT. Empire Strikes Back has the best lightsaber fight because of the emotion, the build-up, the little story the fight itself is telling, and the restraint. I find Luke's little spin move a thousand time more satisfying and cool to watch that all of Maul's flips. The same goes for the Bane fight. Bane whipping around to land a brutal blow on Batman is something that sticks with me. What am I attached to in this Bucky fight besides some slick moves?

It's like when people think the ANH Obi-Wan fight needs to be remastered when it's perfect as it is, they just don't get the purpose of the fight.
This isn't a fight for the sake of it, this was the culmination of a public attack they were stopping. And Cap fighting someone that easily proved to be his match earlier. Culminating to the big mystery of the film, who is the winter soldier.

It's so disingenuous to act like this is JUST a flashy fight scene.

I can't.

Also, the Obi Wan doesn't need to be remastered, but it was never good.

Bane whipping around has impact, but it's the exact same flash you were yawning. Batman outright missed. And then Bane being extra did his twirl.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
What am I attached to in this Bucky fight besides some slick moves?
I can't speak for you specifically, but generally people are attached to the hero characters and don't want to see them harmed. To this point the Winter Soldier has essentially bulldozed through anything in his way. He attacked and killed Nick Fury, tossed a character the heroes were using as an informant in front of a semi truck, and shot Black Widow in the shoulder. To this point in the movie, Winter Soldier is an intensely threatening villain, and even if you don't think Captain America is going to be killed (since it's his movie), there's no guarantee he'll be able to protect Natasha or Sam. And the end of the fight reveals that this guy is in fact Captain America's friend, who was supposed to be dead, adding another emotional component to the story.

It may not work for you, just like the Bane fight doesn't mean a goddamn thing to me, but it's all there in the movie.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Cuts don't make a fight bad. Nonsensical cuts that hide the action or make things confusing are bad. Cuts that emphasize the moves in the fight are fine.
A lot of the action is hidden, though, because it frantically cuts through to each blow that you don't get the feeling they are super at all. The only time you really see clear speed and strength is when it's a wide shot that has more clarity of the characters and scene. Go to 1:07 in that video linked above to where TWS kicks Cap, it's not a close in kick but wide and clear to demonstrate it. You then have just before Cap being cropped on sprinting at him but it's supposed to show speed? It's wildly inconsistent. It happens throughout the clip. Those cuts are bad. If the idea was to deliver their superiority physically then it failed. Compare it to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Yu Shu fights Jiao Long where emphasis is on weapons and their mastery over them. It's shot to show that and it does with clarity. TWS doesn't do that for their physical power.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I enjoyed everything about the Batman vs Bane fight scene, except for the fight itself. Really good build-up, cinematography and audio design are top notch, and a powerful message being sent with how easily and brutally Bane dominates Batman. Brilliant on those things. But the actual fight? Nope. The choreography was so so bad. It really took me out of the moment more than I thought it would.

So I definitely enjoyed the Cap and Winter Soldier fight more. Was a much more entertaining fight scene for me with some stellar choreography. I've seen clips of them doing the fight without any editing and that alone looked really impressive; the sorta knife flick which Sebastian Stan does not being CG or anything was pretty damn cool, got to give him props for that, I bet it took weeks and weeks to get that right. Got to give it to Cap here.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

What? It is t better than the best so its not good? Lol relax the scene is great.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
*Yawn*

I honestly don't think the Bane fight is all that impressive from a story/emotional standpoint. The emotional resonance of it is supposed to be that you're seeing Batman get the shit kicked out of him but between Batman being way out of his prime and Bane having some kind of stupid plot armor (oh he can just pluck Batman out of total darkness because reasons) it kills the feel of the fight. If Darth Connery walked into Gotham and beat the shit out of Batman 10 minutes after The Dark Knight ended or made Batman run a gauntlet before confronting him (like he does in the comics), that would have some more emotional resonance to me. The only real good emotion from that scene is Catwoman standing there quietly realizing she screwed up.

And then we get into the poor choreography and filming of the fight...

Edit: Also, for what it's worth - the iconic image of Bane breaking Batman's back really doesn't translate to live action at all.

Last edited: