• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What was the better fight scene?

• Batman vs. Bane in DKR

• Winter Soldier vs. Captain America in Cap2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
One day I hope to understand what people see in The Winter Soldier, it just did nothing for me

LongWatchfulDromaeosaur-size_restricted.gif

ZKAo5.gif

might as well post some anime stretch frames while you're at it

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Batman vs Bane gave MANY glorious memes for years, and that's the only thing I remember about that fight.

Dudes in here talking about gravitas, when in reality, what most people will remember it for is is...

"Ahhhhh, you think darkness is your ally?"

Oct 28, 2017
Batman vs Bane gave MANY glorious memes for years, and that's the only thing I remember about that fight.

Dudes in here talking about gravitas, when in reality, what most people will remember it for is is...

"Ahhhhh, you think darkness is your ally?"
I think Bane is well written in this scene. I feel like most people repeated it because it was memorable, not bad.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know good and goddamn well we aren't pretending there was no plot relevance to the Cap/Bucky fight. I know that's not what I'm seeing right now. On top of the action just straight up being better.

Lmfao come on.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Christian bale flailing about in that awful suit isn't great. The fight scenes are the weakest part of the nolan trilogy, whereas fight scenes are the winter soldiers most prominent stuff

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
On a choreography standpoint it's far and away the cap fight

But I liked the bane scene more. Was just pretty hopeless and the setting was dope, and those fire bane quotes too 🙏

Jan 10, 2018
It was just a revelation for Cap, not the audience.
That doesn't remove all of the other tension surrounding it, or the relevance to the story.

And I'm pretty sure the audience didn't know yet by that point. Not without outside knowledge. That's the first time Bucky is unmasked in the movie, isn't it?

The story of the reveal is not told trough the fight. Cap does not try to reveal the Winter Soldiers identity, Bucky is not fighting to hide it.

The story being told is equally strong and skilled fighters clashing. Which is a Marvel habit.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The story of the reveal is not told trough the fight. Cap does not try to reveal the Winter Soldiers identity, Bucky is not fighting to hide it.

The story being told is equally strong and skilled fighters clashing. Which is a Marvel habit.

The reveal is the end of the fight. The mystery of who the hell this guy is that's mixing it up with Steve is very much during the fight. During the whole highway scene, really, as he gradually loses the pieces he wears that cover up the top and bottom halves of his face.

It's weird to reduce the scene to "two equally strong and skilled fighters clashing" when half the narrative weight of TDRK scene is "oh shit, this guy can go blow for blow with Bruce" too.

And it comes back around, both at the end of Winter Soldier, and throughout Civil War, which is why I disagree with the idea that Bucky stops being menacing after this movie. His ability as a fighter is used to instantly communicate just how much stronger Spider-Man is than most of the Avengers present in that film (despite being green as hell).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember therefore not good isn't an argument.

Watch this, then look me in the fucking eyes and say this is inferior.

Frankly this isn't particularly well directed/edited. Like this kick.

R81tBKp.gif

This bit starts with Bucky on the left, and Steve on the right. But randomly the action changes the sense of direction in the middle of the kick for no reason whatsoever. You can barely see him landing the kick for that matter. And then it goes back to showing Bucky on the left side. And Bucky does some kinda spin to shoot at somebody on his right side...but Steve landed on his left side? And in the next shot Steve is magically on the right side of the screen. This is basically visual nonsense. I usually hate this kind of action direction. Full of close-ups, shaky cam, choppy editing, all doing a poor job at placing the characters on the scene.

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not a fan of the cuts in that clip either but the choreography was pretty cool. That whole scene is the best action sequence in the MCU to this day imo

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I don't love The Winter Soldier as much as some people here, but it most definitely had better fight scenes.

Jan 10, 2018
The reveal is the end of the fight. The mystery of who the hell this guy is that's mixing it up with Steve is very much during the fight. During the whole highway scene, really, as he gradually loses the pieces he wears that cover up the top and bottom halves of his face.

It's weird to reduce the scene to "two equally strong and skilled fighters clashing" when half the narrative weight of TDRK scene is "oh shit, this guy can go blow for blow with Bruce" too.

And it comes back around, both at the end of Winter Soldier, and throughout Civil War, which is why I disagree with the idea that Bucky stops being menacing after this movie. His ability as a fighter is used to instantly communicate just how much stronger Spider-Man is than most of the Avengers present in that film (despite being green as hell).

The TDKR scene gives us some of Banes background, which is part of the reason why Batman is completely outmatched, a glimpse of Banes plan, which also shows he outsmarted Batman and of course a increasingly desperate Batman who is running out of tricks. And of course a remorseful Catwoman, which foreshadows what happens later.

On the other side... there is a bit less going on

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Batman doesn't even fight like he's trained in martial arts. In fact I was thinking 'is he gonna trip over his cape?' at the back of my head when i watch the Batman-Bane fight.

I honestly doubt those who voted for Batman-Bane know anything about movies at all.

Last edited:

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Batman fans are going down swinging in this thread. Why does that seem familiar?

Read through it and some of theses takes are hilarious. A user even went so far as to say cool action doesn't make an action scene great. I'm struggling with that one.

The Batman trilogy is the worst portrayal of skilled fighters I've ever seen in a big budget film. Luckily they were included in good movies.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The TDKR scene gives us some of Banes background, which is part of the reason why Batman is completely outmatched, a glimpse of Banes plan, which also shows he outsmarted Batman and of course a increasingly desperate Batman who is running out of tricks. And of course a remorseful Catwoman, which foreshadows what happens later.

On the other side... there is a bit less going on

Revealing the Winter Soldier to be Bucky tells you why he's so damn powerful; Hydra experimented on him in the first movie. Nothing ever came of it, but then you realize dude survived his fall, was recovered by Hydra, and that's how he's been popping up as this menacing assassin throughout the century. Steve puts all that together between the end of the fight and the beginning of the third act, which informs his mindset and mood going into the film's conclusion.

Though I suppose none of that being explicitly relayed to the audience in that moment explains why lesser minds would smirk at the scene as being shallow.

And again, the action is just straight up better.

Jan 10, 2018
Revealing the Winter Soldier to be Bucky tells you why he's so damn powerful; Hydra experimented on him in the first movie. Nothing ever came of it, but then you realize dude survived his fall, was recovered by Hydra, and that's how he's been popping up as this menacing assassin throughout the century. Steve puts all that together between the end of the fight and the beginning of the third act, which informs his mindset and mood going into the film's conclusion.

Though I suppose none of that being explicitly relayed to the audience in that moment explains why lesser minds would smirk at the scene as being shallow.

And again, the action is just straight up better.

All what I said was gradually losing pieces of clothes is not a whole lot of storytelling. Because it ain't.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Winter Soldier easily.

I don't remember liking a single fight scene in Nolan's Batman trilogy. I liked the movies but the fighting was always a massive letdown for me.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't even fair lol. Batman vs. Bane has better cinematography but it's terrible as a fight.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I dunno. I think I liked TDKR movie more, and I think the quotes were much more memorable in that. Choreography can be better in the Cap fight, but I can't tell you one thing that I can remember outside of maybe a motorcycle chase happened(?) and I can basically remember the bane fight shot for shot.

I have a feeling the votes are gunna go to Cap but I really can't remember a single thing from that fight.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fight scenes are a bit weird because they are still overall scenes.

I mean, take the various fight scenes in Batman Returns. They're all terrible fight scenes but they're also great scenes.

Making a better example, the duel in RotJ is the best duel in the entire saga (Star Wars), despite the Bespin duel and the Starkiller base duel being better fight scenes.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Batman heals a broken back and a bum knee in three months in prison. That is zero impact and bad writing to boot. The second Bane vs Batman fight is worse.

At the end of Winter Soldier Cap breaks Bucky's arm and chokes him out. Thats the fight we should be talking about honestly.

To be fair none of that Cap / Bucky fight really has much lasting impact either. At the very least Batman learned more about the league of shadows from his time in the pit.

I'm trying to think of what was gained or lost from Bucky and Caps encounter.