• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What was the better fight scene?

• Batman vs. Bane in DKR

• Winter Soldier vs. Captain America in Cap2

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised Bane vs Bats even has 12% of the votes. This is a very easy win for Cap.

Edit - okay, I've just watched both videos. The Bane fight has better cinematography and staging, I like the setting and it definitely has more gravitas, but in terms of the actual fight the choreography is mediocre. The Cap fight just feels more impactful and energised and the choreography is fantastic.

Last edited:

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
You cannot really compare the two . One is science fiction with 2 superhuman and 6 billion dollar man tech fighting and one is functional fiction of 2 humans fighting

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This is really unfair. That's like, the best fight scene in the entire MCU in terms of choreography.

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nearly all of Nolan's fight choreography is straight up D tier talent. For all his gifts he can't shoot a person throwing a punch to his life.

Winter Soldier wins this easy.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest even Speed Racer has a better fight scene than either of these overrated-ass movies.

Unlike TDKR, it has good choreography and solid stuntwork. And unlike TWS, it has clearly and cleanly directed action instead of resorting to close-up shaky cam while cutting all the effing time.

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Umm reading the posts of those who endorsed the Bane fight, somehow I get the feeling they would still vote for Bane even if it was up against the Raids, Ip Man, Jackie Chan or any other fight choreography masterpieces.

Cinematic atmosphere, narrative consequences over choreography huh...even though the thread title is explicitly only about the fight scenes. Not that I can't appreciate the former two but...Oh well, different strokes for different folks.
Jackie Chan, The Raid, etc all go for different things regarding action. The Raid is very much a martial arts / skill demonstration with a story. Jackie Chan does elaborate fights with humor, demonstration, and for the spectacle of a martial arts fight. TDKR is a story fight where you are supposed to feel dread as Batman literally gets ravaged. It demonstrated quite well story wise that Bruce lost his step, too full of himself, and that he lost conviction. The Winter Soldier doesn't do a whole lot. It tries to copy things from martial arts movies and a lot from Bourne series. TWS doesn't understand what makes the action in those movies good, so TWS just falls flat overall as an experience. In comparison to the Raid, John Wick,Jackie Chan, etc TWS is very mediocre. Why a fight occurs and how it is framed and planned out matters otherwise it is just a fight with no meaning. TWS is just a mediocre fight experience.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TWS jump cuts with shaky cam is fucking awful. The choreography is clearly more better but comparing scenes in stupid. Batman is "old" and broken fighting Bane a drugged up monster and the other scene is 2 super soldiers.

With that said the jump cuts makes it instant thumbs down for me.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Cap vs TWS easily and not surprised it's blowing Bane vs Bats away. Just a great fight between the 2, just absolutely love how they show just what his arm can do. May be even with Cap in terms of strength but when he needed that extra juice you just hear his arm go to work.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Jackie Chan, The Raid, etc all go for different things regarding action. The Raid is very much a martial arts / skill demonstration with a story. Jackie Chan does elaborate fights with humor, demonstration, and for the spectacle of a martial arts fight. TDKR is a story fight where you are supposed to feel dread as Batman literally gets ravaged. It demonstrated quite well story wise that Bruce lost his step, too full of himself, and that he lost conviction. The Winter Soldier doesn't do a whole lot. It tries to copy things from martial arts movies and a lot from Bourne series. TWS doesn't understand what makes the action in those movies good, so TWS just falls flat overall as an experience. In comparison to the Raid, John Wick,Jackie Chan, etc TWS is very mediocre. Why a fight occurs and how it is framed and planned out matters otherwise it is just a fight with no meaning. TWS is just a mediocre fight experience.
I see your point.
Like I said I can appreciate atmosphere and narrative weight too. First time watching Batman's fight against Bane was admittedly a very tense and riveting experience for me. But looking back I guess my personal issue with this particular fight was that it's become glaringly obvious how lacking, almost distractingly so, the fight choreography was.
So unfortunately my takeaway is it works great for first time experience but it doesn't hold up for repeated viewings (ages badly). Didn't hate it as much as everyone seems tho...

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
The Bane fight is amusing to watch back if you keep reminding yourself that, in-universe, you're apparently watching a showdown between two master martial artists personally trained by the greatest assassin to have ever lived.

I guess ninjas in that universe are all trained in the art of punching very slowly.

Oct 28, 2017
There's no weight to the TWS fight scene. People are getting so focused on moves that look bad in DKR when you hyperfocus on them. But that's not really whats important when you're taking the entire experience in. Look at the Oldboy fight scene. There are tons of actors in this scenes being absolutely silly if you focus on their action. One guy runs off screen and basically acts like he's out of the fight because of it. Another guy whiffs a shoryuken and is suddenly out of the fight as well. Lots of people acting as if they're bloodied and beaten when they just took a single punch. Yet, this scene is far more impactful than the TWS fight because there are actual consequences. Also, the camera-work is far better and lets the action speak for itself instead of the shakey-cam vomit in TWS.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't even a DC vs MCU thing. Nolan can't direct compelling hand to hand action scenes. All his batman fight scenes across the trilogy are really limp.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is insane.

On a pure technical filmmaking level it's Winter Soldier, no contest. Never mind that it's also a better movie.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I laughed out loud at the poll. Really wondered if this is a troll thread. Im a fan of the Bale Batman trilogy but the fights scenes are below everything that has come after it. I liked the feel of the Batman vs Bane fight more than the actual fight. The atmosphere and cinematography is above anything that Marvel has put out. The fight itself was a let down to me. The Winter soldier fight is on a different level.

Off topic but its been downhill for Bucky since that movie. He was so threatening and almost stole the movie for me. He hasn't done anything on the level since. Maybe he'll get time to shine now.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The way Winter Soldier twirls, tosses and catches his knife in his other hand just so he has a better stabbing direction totally makes that fight.

Jan 10, 2018
Umm reading the posts of those who endorsed the Bane fight, somehow I get the feeling they would still vote for Bane even if it was up against the Raids, Ip Man, Jackie Chan or any other fight choreography masterpieces.

Cinematic atmosphere, narrative consequences over choreography huh...even though the thread title is explicitly only about the fight scenes. Not that I can't appreciate the former two but...Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Great fight scenes serve a purpose. Fight scenes in sake of fight scenes are just demo reels. Nice to look at, but movies should aim for more.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I laughed out loud at the poll. Really wondered if this is a troll thread. Im a fan of the Bale Batman trilogy but the fights scenes are below everything that has come after it. I liked the feel of the Batman vs Bane fight more than the actual fight. The atmosphere and cinematography is above anything that Marvel has put out. The fight itself was a let down to me. The Winter soldier fight is on a different level.

Off topic but its been downhill for Bucky since that movie. He was so threatening and almost stole the movie for me. He hasn't done anything on the level since. Maybe he'll get time to shine now.
The apartment fight in Civil War and brainwashed Bucky were glimpses of Winter Soldier Barnes. Bad guys and antiheroes are always cooler so not surprised it's kinda been downhill overall. Hopefully he's great again in the Falcon and Bucky series.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Great fight scenes serve a purpose. Fight scenes in sake of fight scenes are just demo reels. Nice to look at, but movies should aim for more.
Not that I disagree that movies should aim for more but I think there's always gonna be place for movies just delivering their promises as advertised. I don't exactly look for The Raid or John Wick movies for political intrigue for example lol

To be on topic of the Bane fight though, with the context of two experienced and skilled fighters, even after appreciating how well done the atmosphere was and the heavy weight of the narrative for that fight, why didn't they aim for more like maybe better fight choreography? Goes both ways I guess.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Cap.

Isn't that considered one of the greatest fighting and action scenes in Superhero movies?

Honestly, 22 movies in, and the Freeway sequence in Winter Soldier has yet to be topped. Just pure excellence in regards to geography, groundedness, escalation, choreography, etc.
Like... it's crazy how much CG and money is throw around in the MCU (Endgame in particular has almost no stakes in it's actual action), yet this is still the best action setpiece.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
The movie version of Bane vs. Batman lost me by being a fan of the source material. I still say that Knightfall is a classic Batman story, and turning Bane from a brilliant, roided-up criminal genius/Luchador into a mumbling pseudo-revolutionary/goon continued the Nolan tradition of stripping Batman villains of all their larger than life drama.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Bane Vs Batman for sure, because of the meaning that it has in the movie and the trilogy overall.

Cap Vs Winter is cool for sure, but it is just a cool fight scene in the middle of the movie.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Knowing who Bucky was prior to seeing it, I was more emotionally invested in the Winter Soldier fight, aside from it being technically better.
My favorite 'fight' from the Nolan trilogy was Bruce training with Ra's on the ice, so beautiful.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
In full motion I dont think those DKR fights are that bad, its only when its slowed down and in gifs are when the flaws come out. I didnt even notice that the last time I watched I was so engaged. I still picked Cap though.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I disagree that movies should aim for more but I think there's always gonna be place for movies just delivering their promises as advertised. I don't exactly look for The Raid or John Wick movies for political intrigue for example lol

To be on topic of the Bane fight though, with the context of two experienced and skilled fighters, even after appreciating how well done the atmosphere was and the heavy weight of the narrative for that fight, why didn't they aim for more like maybe better fight choreography? Goes both ways I guess.
Yeah, but the fights in The Raid or John Wick aren't just fights for the sake for having fights. The action in those movies drive their stories forward and are always the product of a lot of narrative set-up.

Oct 28, 2017
Does anybody else really hate it when some big fight scene is weight-less and inconsequential because both sides just block/dodge every attack? It just feels like empty calories when both sides leave the fight as if literally nothing happened. It's just boring.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean as bad as the fight in TDKR is, at least it has dialogue between Batman and Bane...

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bane fight was better for memes and nothing else. Bane himself is really just good for memes. The actual choreography is atrocious in comparison to anything in The Winter Soldier and I felt far more emotionally invested in Cap vs. Bucky.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Does anybody else really hate it when some big fight scene is weight-less and inconsequential because both sides just block/dodge every attack? It just feels like empty calories when both sides leave the fight as if literally nothing happened. It's just boring.
If they sold the fact that they're evenly matched combatants genuinely going at it well enough I don't mind so much but battle fatigue/ injuries are always a constant expectation for me, depending on the timeframe of the movie.

My pet peeve is when one side is holding back/unpowered for some contrived reasons before the eventual rematch. Somehow it got even way more prevalent than the usual, similarly awful, last minute power up.

Oct 28, 2017
If they sold the fact that they're evenly matched combatants genuinely going at it well enough I don't mind so much but battle fatigue/ injuries are always a constant expectation for me, depending on the timeframe of the movie.

My pet peeve is when one side is holding back/unpowered for some contrived reasons before the eventual rematch. Somehow it got even way more prevalent than the usual, similarly awful, last minute power up.
Yeah, but evenly-matched people still land hits, you know?

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Man this isn't even close.

There are like seven scenes in Winter Soldier on their own that are better than DKR as a whole. This is one of them.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fight scene in vacuum: Cap of course. In context, probably still Cap. Bane is hardly a fight scene. It might carry more weight as a scene but that had nothing to do with fighting.