• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What was the better fight scene?

• Batman vs. Bane in DKR

• Winter Soldier vs. Captain America in Cap2

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair none of that Cap / Bucky fight really has much lasting impact either. At the very least Batman learned more about the league of shadows from his time in the pit.

I'm trying to think of what was gained or lost from Bucky and Caps encounter.
The knowledge that his best friend is still alive. These comments are starting to say more about you than the movie.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I have to go with this. That entire fight is so kinetic. The choreography is superb and really highlights how much of a threat Bucky is.

The fight between Batman and Bane is cool, I guess, but the "breaking the Bat" moment was actually kinda... underwhelming. The one moment we were all waiting for, the most iconic moment in Bane's entire existence, and it felt limp.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You are better than this.

I mean, what are we even discussing anymore?
Which fight scene do I like more? TDKR.
Which fight scene dod I think is better? TDKR for reasons already explained.
Which fight scene is more memorable? TDKR as seen by circumstantial evidence such as YT views and anecdotal evidence. Though nothing concrete.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The knowledge that his best friend is still alive. These comments are starting to say more about you than the movie.

The main character learned that he's alive, when the viewer knew this way beforehand...that really had a lasting impact? Huh...what did that fairly obvious reveal change for the narrative going forward for you? And what does it say about me?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I like the Winter Soldier fight more because it shows dangerous the two of them are. The first time they properly make extended contact in the film with each other and it's this incredibly fast and hyper energetic fight.

You can argue it's overly flashy but I would counter-argue that every move of Bucky makes throughout the entire scene is going for the kill. It marks him out as incredibly efficient and deadly. The shots are fast but they show very clearly and in the centre of the screen what's happening.

TDKR matters more in terms of story meaning but I don't really buy the premise of the scene. All the stuff Batman can do in these films against better armed opponents and this is all it takes to break him.

Oct 25, 2017
The main character learned that he's alive, when the viewer knew this way beforehand...that really had a lasting impact? Huh...what did that fairly obvious reveal change for the narrative going forward for you? And what does it say about me?
Wait wait wait, are you suggesting it's a bad thing when the audience knows something the lead character doesn't, so it means nothing when they learn it?

Oct 28, 2017
They are completely different scenes. One is set in broad daylight on a wide open freeway and the other is in a darkly lit, cavernous space. Action scenes are about more than pure technical qualities. There's the artistry behind the scene to consider as well. Personally, I think the Rises scene is superior because it actively reveals both plot and character. The scene in Winter Soldier is pretty visceral and "bad ass" but it doesn't reveal much about our main character.

That said, I really liked the action and tone of TWS. It felt almost like a Terminator movie at times.

Oct 25, 2017
They are completely different scenes. One is set in broad daylight on a wide open freeway and the other is in a darkly lit, cavernous space. Action scenes are about more than pure technical qualities. There's the artistry behind the scene to consider as well. Personally, I think the Rises scene is superior because it actively reveals both plot and character. The scene in Winter Soldier is pretty visceral and "bad ass" but it doesn't reveal much about our main character.

That said, I really liked the action and tone of TWS. It felt almost like a Terminator movie at times.
Okay, the bathroom fight scene in Mission Impossible Fallout didn't teach me anything about Ethan Hunt, but I didn't criticize it for it, he's was doing his job, things got complicated and a fight broke out. Essentially the winter soldier scene.

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, the bathroom fight scene in Mission Impossible Fallout didn't teach me anything about Ethan Hunt, but I didn't criticize it for it, he's was doing his job, things got complicated and a fight broke out. Essentially the winter soldier scene.
The intent of both scenes is wildly different. The scene in Rises isn't so much a Big Fight Scene, as it is a beat down and meant to show how far Bruce has fallen off both physically and mentally. TWS is two super soldiers at the peak of their powers. Again, you can't assess the two scenes and say one is better because you preferred the fight choreography. I mean, you CAN but that would be ... quite limited and reductive analysis, in my opinion. You have to factor in the art of the depiction and the story being told.

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The choreography of Captain American is leagues better. The issue is that it is not much weight carried with the punches. Every blow is felt but no damage is done. It is a beautiful dance.

TDK on the other hand, has the better set piece, filmed better, even the dialogue is meaningful. I prefer it, but recognize that isn't due to choreography.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
holy fuck, this thread still going. dkr made it to over 100 votes after all

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thus, anyway you slice it TDKR fight has more views.

1. What does that have to do with the topic at hand? It's not even an argument for one being more memorable than the other. It's just YT views, and the gap between them is insignificant as hell on top of that.

2. Didn't one of these movies come out 2 years before the other?

The viewer did not know this. You only knew if you were familiar with the story already.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, take the various fight scenes in Batman Returns. They're all terrible fight scenes but they're also great scenes.

Making a better example, the duel in RotJ is the best duel in the entire saga (Star Wars), despite the Bespin duel and the Starkiller base duel being better fight scenes.
But they're not "terrible". That's hyperbolic. They're average choreography with fantastic atmosphere and all else.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You saying people have "lesser minds" for not seeing the intricate subtext of "It was Cap's best buddy all along!" is fucking hilarious.

As are the individuals calling this forum embarrassing for calling out Hardy's turn as Bane and Nolan's inability to direct an action scene as the jokes that they are, or defaulting to YouTube views to argue a scene's narrative and iconic superiority, when the topic at hand was about which was the better action scene.

Anything to shit on what's, by most accounts, a phenomenal movie, and one of its more memorable moments. Because it stems from the MCU. Those posters are the fucking embarrassments. The act is beyond transparent, but yes, it's hilarious I suggested that most people aren't capable of reading subtext (they aren't) when someone pretended that scene exists in a vacuum and doesn't communicate anything pertaining to the story of the movie or it's wider universe.

Oct 28, 2017
As are the individuals calling this forum embarrassing for calling out Hardy's turn as Bane and Nolan's inability to direct an action scene as the jokes that they are, or defaulting to YouTube views to argue a scene's narrative and iconic superiority, when the topic at hand was about which was the better action scene.

Anything to shit on what's, by most accounts, a phenomenal movie, and one of its more memorable moments. Because it stems from the MCU. Those posters are the fucking embarrassments. The act is beyond transparent, but yes, it's hilarious I suggested that most people aren't capable of reading subtext (they aren't) when someone pretended that scene exists in a vacuum and doesn't communicate anything pertaining to the story of the movie or it's wider universe.
Yes, it is fucking hilarious that you think people have "lesser minds" over this stuff. None of what you're saying makes it any less stupid.

Romez

Nov 11, 2017
WS has no doubt better technical fight choreo, but I still prefer Bane as a whole scene. The build up, the tension, the quotes.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

Jimothy-Fashion-Prod-by-Jimothy-Lacoste-Full-HD-3.gif

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
The choreography of Cap vs WS is good but the final product in the movie is not,
tons of unnecessary cuts and angles all over the place, simply look at the B-Roll footage, it's amazing.

This is why single take fights are making a comeback with films like John Wick and Atomic Blonde.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair none of that Cap / Bucky fight really has much lasting impact either. At the very least Batman learned more about the league of shadows from his time in the pit.

I'm trying to think of what was gained or lost from Bucky and Caps encounter.

Well in the final fight Cap was able stop Hydra's plan. Also who cares. Cap fight is better in my opinion. It at least more technical. Rear naked choke ftw.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is depressing. Really, CA vs Bucky is just another choreography fight scene.

No worries, no pressure.

Batman vs Ban. No music. Just a fight that has amazing dialogue and weight.

Just shows how badly the masses lap up MCU. It's sad.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
In breaking news today, cheap chocolate is voted to taste better than feline excrement.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
South Par makes fun of many things. Yeah people made jokes about it, but I think people actually liked it too.

Nah. One of the dumbest things about the entire Nolan trilogy is the stupid voices everyone puts on. Batman, Scarecrow, Joker, Bane, you name it. The only reason Joker's voice works is because he's more sinister than goofy and his scars imply he can't talk properly anyway.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I honestly can't remember more than a few seconds of the Cap fight, while I remember everything about Bane v Batman. So I'm going with Batman for this one.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
The batman vs bane has better atmosphere, tension, and emotion going on but the actual fighting is kinda bad at points. I laughed when bane did the 360 spin punch.

The Cap vs Bucky fight, while having some bad shakey cam moments, seems to have better choreography or whatever u want to call it. Basically, instead of laughing like i was during batman, i was instead saying "oh shit that was cool."

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Bane and Batman wasn't a fight scene as much as it was a beat down. It does have more impact in the story vs WS. Though in WS, this was caps first fight with bucky and his reveal so there was some impact.

I'd have to vote for WS. There's just so much happening and even the scene leading to it, on the highway, was great. There are way too many cuts though.