• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed that full combo a song in VS live doesn't count towards the song's progression system?
Caught this last night when I got a Perfect in Garupa (slides can be iffy on my phone, so I keep getting single/double misses). I don't understand the point? It's the deal with Challenge Event songs.

On another note, Halloween decor, new music, new clothes; I love it!

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have the highest band power I've ever had now at 230K but this event doesn't seem too kind for that specifically, especially since my 4*s don't fit the type this time. I guess I should take a hit and try to fill all scorers in.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
That update certainly caught me off guard. It's a shame there's no Live2D viewer where you can see all the different casual clothes outfits and not just the band costumes.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get a kick out of people choosing songs with the intent of getting people to Ex and Die, as I proceed to beat their Hard scores out with a well played Ex.

Worldwide Treasure ain't gonna stop me, my good "huhehe" user. :p

Asian Oni

Oct 27, 2017
I get a kick out of people choosing songs with the intent of getting people to Ex and Die, as I proceed to beat their Hard scores out with a well played Ex.

Worldwide Treasure ain't gonna stop me, my good "huhehe" user. :p
The reverse is even better. Beating their EX scores while playing Hard. : D

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I started playing this last week, hi everyone!
Only have a bunch of 3* right now (was too lazy to reroll) and hit a block where I can't really actively get more stars for more pulls. Any tips? (I'm unlocking episodes as soon as I get enough crystals for them, nearly have all the 1* starters unlocked already, and also idolized most of the 3* I have).

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
New event is interesting. I keep wanting to peek at the combo meter of my opponents.

On another note, the fall outfits are greats

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I do enjoy the more competitive nature of VS live but I really wish it were just "pure" scoring, no band levels or member bonuses or etc. It'd be cool to have an occasional break from scoring being largely determined by gacha pulls and money spent.

The seasonal overhaul is pretty great. I've been a sucker for that kind of thing ever since the Sonic Adventure Halloween and Christmas updates.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I think I've gotten to the point where non-Popipa 3* type and member bonus card gets outclassed by just a 3* Popipa event type card.

Seriously, my Arisa is only 1 point lower in stats than this event's Himari but it feels like I'm getting more points due to most of the area items getting maxed. I'm honestly not sure if I'm just imagining things.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How many Marina's Gift Box are there? Not sure if I should exhaust everything before moving onto the next one, instead of skipping as soon as I get the special reward.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

You can see them all if you tap Box Contents.

At the very least, you should get all the boost drinks before moving on.
Thank you. Pretty sure I missed few drinks, but better late than ever,

squall23 Your instinct would be correct, I think. If you upgraded enough area items, their boost is far more stronger than member & alignment bonus given on this event (+30%).
I'm also running full Poppin' Party powerful team and they seem to be serving well (4* Rimi, 4* Kasumi, 4* Tae, 3* Arisa, 3* Saya).

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The reverse is even better. Beating their EX scores while playing Hard. : D

I "lucked out" in that after literally spending til 0 Stars, my 3* ticket from all the dupes got me 4* Aya. But, she's not Rimi or Halloween Kokoro, so I'm still falling behind a bit. In other words, I don't know if I can have he pleasure of this feeling, it does sound great though lol.

Only have a bunch of 3* right now (was too lazy to reroll) and hit a block where I can't really actively get more stars for more pulls. Any tips? (I'm unlocking episodes as soon as I get enough crystals for them, nearly have all the 1* starters unlocked already, and also idolized most of the 3* I have).

If you can Full Combo songs on Hard you're looking at 3,600 Stars there. Other than that, you seem to know/be doing everything one can. Story, Sub-Story (both Band and Event), Character Episodes, Full Combo, Log-in Bonus, Event Ranking Prizes. I think that about covers all the ways to get free stars.

Also, I think I've gotten to the point where non-Popipa 3* type and member bonus card gets outclassed by just a 3* Popipa event type card.

Seriously, my Arisa is only 1 point lower in stats than this event's Himari but it feels like I'm getting more points due to most of the area items getting maxed. I'm honestly not sure if I'm just imagining things.

Same here. My Popipa is just miles above everyone else. I have more good cards for them, so of course the upgrades followed suit. Unfortunately this also means that Popipa have been Level 30 for a month while everyone else is hovering around 22.

How many Marina's Gift Box are there? Not sure if I should exhaust everything before moving onto the next one, instead of skipping as soon as I get the special reward.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I read on Discord that Box 6 refreshes. They suggested racing to Box 6 and then just working off of that one. I've been doing what Squall23 above me said, though; getting Boost Drinks then moving on. Though I did skip one box when there were a lot of items left and only one Boost Drink. Didn't think it was worth going through those "wasting" my redeems for one drink.

Asian Oni

Oct 27, 2017
I "lucked out" in that after literally spending til 0 Stars, my 3* ticket from all the dupes got me 4* Aya. But, she's not Rimi or Halloween Kokoro, so I'm still falling behind a bit. In other words, I don't know if I can have he pleasure of this feeling, it does sound great though lol.
Well, I just got a taste of my medicine because I changed my efficient team for a higher BP one.
I'm missing that 4* Kasumi for the optimal team.

boatoh

Oct 25, 2017
It might be a good idea to rush to box 6 since boxes 3-5 are kinda bad, but it doesn't matter too much overall. You should still be able to reach box 6 and beyond from regularly playing.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's very curious how, the moment they make the change to have boosts spent as soon as you enter a lobby, the occurrance of sudden "disconnects" are a lot lower.

Yes, very curious indeed.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Ultra Mega Turbo Third Arcade Strike Edition Curious, even

It's one of those things where I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but like... it probably never is

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Two things I like about VS Live. Getting to use my own team, and not having our score ruined because someone lost connection. Even when the latter happens, we can still usually hit A-rank at least, and S can be in reach.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Noticed the Bang Dream ad on the corner of the recent NJPW event in US. Glad to see the collaboration is still strong after Kenny's ad.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I feel like I'm in an endless cycle of getting characters I don't actually like now. I got the 4* red Kokoro today in a single 250 pull just for fun. I shouldn't be disappointed but I guess this is how gacha works.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a Limited along with being a rare pull. Also I'm just a tad jealous. :')

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017

Just keep playing. Try to make matching teams per attribute of 3* (e.g Cool, Power, etc), its ok if they are of different bands at the start. For this event you want power, and preferably 3* and up. Its ok to lower your attribute bonus by a bit if it boosts your band score a lot so feel free to switch out on-attribute 1* for 3* off attribute.

Every event rewards a 3* character at a fairly low point tier, so make sure to get it since they aren't any worse than 3* gacha chars. After that its farm as you want. Ranking high is difficult unless you burn stars / are new, so maybe do it once for the experience if you are F2P

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for the replys!

If you can Full Combo songs on Hard you're looking at 3,600 Stars there. Other than that, you seem to know/be doing everything one can. Story, Sub-Story (both Band and Event), Character Episodes, Full Combo, Log-in Bonus, Event Ranking Prizes. I think that about covers all the ways to get free stars.

Yeeaaahh... not there yet. Haha. This game is rough coming from UtaPri. I can just about get through most of the songs on hard at the moment, everything about 18 Note difficulty is a gamble though, and most of the time I'll fail. I have a 3* with LP regeneration which is basically helping me through most of these (if it pops early enough in the song...).
I got to S rank in points on a few of them at least. Once the event is over, I can hopefully get back to farming those stars then.

Also, are there no normal login bonusses??

Seems like I'll have to save up a few months for a 10 pull.
When do you guys expect DreamFest with higher rates to show up?

Just keep playing. Try to make matching teams per attribute of 3* (e.g Cool, Power, etc), its ok if they are of different bands at the start. For this event you want power, and preferably 3* and up. Its ok to lower your attribute bonus by a bit if it boosts your band score a lot so feel free to switch out on-attribute 1* for 3* off attribute.

Every event rewards a 3* character at a fairly low point tier, so make sure to get it since they aren't any worse than 3* gacha chars. After that its farm as you want. Ranking high is difficult unless you burn stars / are new, so maybe do it once for the experience if you are F2P

Basically, matching attributes or band mates only matters during events, correct? If I play just to get an S rank or something, I can put together anyone?
I have a feeling having band members in the team triggers more banter for them during the song, but maybe that's just me. Like, only Rimi and Saya are in the same band in my current team, so it seems they keep popping up to chitchat while I struggle to follow the song.
Are there any effects like that or is that just cosmetic?

Also, the event is very long, I think getting the 3* will be no problem (currently at 55k). Why should I aim for higher ranks, the difference doesn't seem too huge to me (50 stars more or less, meh)?

I'm running out of mystery gems (the ones you need to train 3*+), do they really drop from randomly playing songs too? During VS battle I've not seen them yet at all.

How do you guys spend those Michelle Monkas for the area items by the way? Better to go all in on one band, or split evenly? They seem to be the rarest ressource to me so far, besides mystery gems. Coins seem overabundant in comparison, I'm still constantly behind on gems though.
I feel those XP tickets won't be a problem either, I nearly have everyone at max level already.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mystery gems seem super rare for beginner, but you'll be very soon drowning in them. Michelle Monkas are the next resource to become irrelevant, because you can only spend it in one shop.

Ironically coins turn out to be most restrictive resource in the end; they are needed for everything, and how much is needed for end-tier items are ridiculous. Never do what I did and buy one of those coin-only buff-everyone items because they are awful.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the replys!

Yeeaaahh... not there yet. Haha. This game is rough coming from UtaPri. I can just about get through most of the songs on hard at the moment, everything about 18 Note difficulty is a gamble though, and most of the time I'll fail. I have a 3* with LP regeneration which is basically helping me through most of these (if it pops early enough in the song...).
I got to S rank in points on a few of them at least. Once the event is over, I can hopefully get back to farming those stars then.

Also, are there no normal login bonusses??

Seems like I'll have to save up a few months for a 10 pull.
When do you guys expect DreamFest with higher rates to show up?

Basically, matching attributes or band mates only matters during events, correct? If I play just to get an S rank or something, I can put together anyone?
I have a feeling having band members in the team triggers more banter for them during the song, but maybe that's just me. Like, only Rimi and Saya are in the same band in my current team, so it seems they keep popping up to chitchat while I struggle to follow the song.
Are there any effects like that or is that just cosmetic?

Also, the event is very long, I think getting the 3* will be no problem (currently at 55k). Why should I aim for higher ranks, the difference doesn't seem too huge to me (50 stars more or less, meh)?

I'm running out of mystery gems (the ones you need to train 3*+), do they really drop from randomly playing songs too? During VS battle I've not seen them yet at all.

How do you guys spend those Michelle Monkas for the area items by the way? Better to go all in on one band, or split evenly? They seem to be the rarest ressource to me so far, besides mystery gems. Coins seem overabundant in comparison, I'm still constantly behind on gems though.
I feel those XP tickets won't be a problem either, I nearly have everyone at max level already.

XP is never a problem, you get so many tickets that you basically max level anyone you get, assuming you have the element gems + the miracle crystals.

Michelle Monaka are only for the statue/footbath etc. I level mine based on the event going on.

Matching attributes only matter during events. That said, since you get a lot of bonus points by matching attributes/chars, its mostly worth it, since you get rewards faster. I only really play during events and take a break when there isn't one, just log in to keep the streak alive.

You are right in that ranking tiers don't give out much differences in terms of rewards. Its mostly for bragging rights. I did it once to get top 1000 for my favourite char for the title and didn't do it anymore. If you want to do it at all, its good to do it early since you have a ton of boosts then from leveling up, so even if you may not earn as many points as other people, you can play so many songs that it doesn't matter.

Boost wise. playing 3x boost for 1 song gives you as much event points as playing 1x boost for 3 songs, you get much more drops and XP if you go one per song, so if you are hunting for drops, 1x boost is the way to go if you have time

boatoh

Oct 25, 2017
yesss, did a single pull and got Halloween Kokoro, now my team is gonna be ridiculously strong. I think with this I have at least 2 scorers in every type, too.

Asian Oni

Oct 27, 2017
And just today I was thinking EN is going to lag behind JP for a long time in terms of QoL stuff. Nice to see them coming.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
How recent is this in JP? Just a couple months ago, apparently?

Partial list of stuff (that I think is important) in the update:

New Features
- Live Theme Settings added.
- Vertical screen mode added for Costumes screen.
- Comics feature added.
- Character Gallery added. Profiles and Art of all 25 members, and previously viewed Area Conversations can be accessed from this gallery.
- Feature that allows for related song information to be viewed was added to the Story Selection screen within Story Memories.
- Filter option that displays members with unread episodes or memorial episodes added to the Member Selection sort popup.
- Feature to utilize opt-in Video Ads to restore Live Boosts added (limited uses per day).

Improvements
- Call outs based on member composition added for the beginning of Lives and Full Combo achievement.
- Life deduction for Miss or Bad Note taps reduced.
- Corrected Required Notes for Fever Time to calculate excluding disconnected players.

- Preview function added for songs in the Music Shop.
- Display of related event name added to songs added to the Song selection screen.
- Event Live background patterns added for VS Live and Free Live.
- Rewards can now be attained for VS Live in the same manner as Free Live and Multi Live.
- Stamp Selection screen may now be closed by tapping the grey area on screen.
- Additional pages on Stamp Selection screen can now be access by swiping.
- Stamps are now displayed at a larger size and in two rows on the Stamp Selection screen.
- Improvements made to Effects & Sound Settings in the Options screen.

And I'm going to paste this again just because I'm so happy to see it:
- Corrected Required Notes for Fever Time to calculate excluding disconnected players.

boatoh

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only major missing part is the update to the song select UI (the one that added the space for Special difficulty).

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
How recent is this in JP? Just a couple months ago, apparently?

Partial list of stuff (that I think is important) in the update:

New Features
- Comics feature added.
- Character Gallery added. Profiles and Art of all 25 members, and previously viewed Area Conversations can be accessed from this gallery.
- Feature that allows for related song information to be viewed was added to the Story Selection screen within Story Memories.
- Filter option that displays members with unread episodes or memorial episodes added to the Member Selection sort popup.
- Feature to utilize opt-in Video Ads to restore Live Boosts added (limited uses per day).

Improvements
- Call outs based on member composition added for the beginning of Lives and Full Combo achievement.

- Display of related event name added to songs added to the Song selection screen.
- Rewards can now be attained for VS Live in the same manner as Free Live and Multi Live.
- Stamps are now displayed at a larger size and in two rows on the Stamp Selection screen.

And I'm going to paste this again just because I'm so happy to see it:

That filter option for story unlock is game changer! And reduced point for bad and miss mean i can finally complete some of the 27 and 28 songs

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
It seems songs played in VS Life will also count for song achievements after maintenance, if I'm reading this right?

"- Rewards can now be attained for VS Live in the same manner as Free Live and Multi Live."

Or what does this mean?
Just better rewards?

Adding this after the event is a bit weird - was this implemented in JP already as well, yet they pushed out an outdated version of the event?

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Ooh, good list of changes.

Are the different note sounds likely included in "live theme settings?" Or would that be its own separate thing?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, I didn't think we were getting this so soon. I hope they add the new character interactions on the main map

Adding this after the event is a bit weird - was this implemented in JP already as well, yet they pushed out an outdated version of the event?

Japan has only had this for 3 months, so they did a few vs events without this lol

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
This is the full update notes, for what it's worth:

New Features:
- Comics feature added.
- iPhone X compatibility for each screen added.
Improvements:
- Performance improvements for certain parts of Rhythm Game.
- Corrected issue of Long Notes being displayed 100% bigger when Note Size is set to size increases other than 100%.
- Corrected issue of header not being displayed in the top right corner when moving from Costumes screen to the Home screen.
- Actions such as song selection on the VS Live Room Selection or Challenge Live Song Selection screens may now be done while Event score rankings are being calculated.
- Item category sort feature added to the Sticker Exchange.
- Added button to the Free Live Song Selection screen that opens a screen containing unlock information for songs not yet unlocked.
- Time limit is no longer displayed for items in the Sticker Exchange that are not available for a limited time only.
- Items that have reached their exchange limit are now sorted to the bottom of the list in the Badge Exchange.
- Adjusted size and position that Stamps are displayed when used.
- Player names now shown on certain screens that they previously were not when using Stamps.
- Fixes made to prevent display errors on certain iOS devices when Zoom settings were selected.
- Fixes made for incorrect tap results of notes when Fix Screen in System Settings is set to ON with certain iOS devices.
Bug Fixes:
- Note timing corrected for Slides.
- Corrected an error that prevented Flick Notes from being counted towards the Required Notes for Fever Time.
- Corrected an error that displayed size of Lane Effects incorrectly on some tablet devices.
- Other minor bug fixes

boatoh

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow forgot the event already ended lol. Still got top 1000 and got rank 40 for the song despite not playing during most of the final day.

Thankfully none of the next few event gachas are interesting to me so I'll be able to save up stars for a while.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Everything lined up for me this week after pulling Kokoro, which gave me two 4* scorers and 272k band power for the event. I managed to get my first top 100 finish, and didn't spend nearly as many stars as I though I would need. I did burn though all the boost drinks I acquired during the event though.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
For all the FGO players, remember when the Nero Fest maintenance got super extended because Apple was holding up the new app version? Well...