• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
If we somehow got a Sony rep, I'd be sad as hell cause I know it wouldn't be Kat lol. It'd be someone like Kratos which is kind of boring. Ratchet or Jak would be cool to see though.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Kratos would have a sick af moveset thiugh he'd be unique with those chain sword things he used to use.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I just realized. How the hell is Rayman not in there yet?
They even rendered a trophy!
Rayman_SSB.jpg

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If Geno isn't one of the next characters, I will lose my ever loving mind

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Rayman is super obscure in Japan, where his games barely sell a few thousand units. I think Western guests will continue to be a rare occurrence going forward, so they'll really need to shine to be considered for Smash. Banjo's been highly requested for decades, his games did pretty well in Japan, and his games were published by Nintendo. He stands out to me in a way that few other Western characters do.
Rayman borderline doesn't exist in Japan, that's probably why.

upv6Qxt.png

.....So how has Doom fared in Japan, then? 😂

Deleted member 52093

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2019
Rayman is super obscure in Japan, where his games barely sell a few thousand units. I think Western guests will continue to be a rare occurrence going forward, so they'll really need to shine to be considered for Smash. Banjo's been highly requested for decades, his games did pretty well in Japan, and his games were published by Nintendo. He stands out to me in a way that few other Western characters do.
Out of curiousity, what are some western 3rd parties that Japan likes? Crash and Skyrim are the only two I can think of.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Yo, I'm not going to lie to you all. This is a tears-of-joy announcement. Banjo-Kazooie has been consistently in my top 5 favorite games since '98 and when I realized Smash was a thing in 99, I wanted Banjo in it. Since Nuts and Bolts wound up to be what it was and not the traditional platformer, I've long since abandoned hope I'd see these characters again in the proper style, if at all.

Not only are my dream characters in Smash, but they also look perfect. I love watching the part in the trailer where DK, Diddy, and K. Rool are stoked their friends are there. It genuinely feels like a homecoming. I can't believe I lived to see this lol.

This sure did turn into a great E3.

I beg you Microsoft give me a Remake.
You know they're thinking about it given the success of Crash and Spyro.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Did someone make a gif of the D.K group happy reaction to the Banjo reveal?

That one is an instant classic.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm ok if the next 2 characters are 1st party. Getting Banjo was something no one would expect a few years ago, simply amazing.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
You might be surprised, but Banjo actually trended in Japanese Twitter. Pretty sure he was highly requested there as well.

Yeah, Rare's contributions to Nintendo's library are very well received, and Banjo & Kazooie have particularly been hugely demanded by the Japanese. Like "consistently with the Top 10-15 for 3rd-parties" demanded.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I think the real miracle here is I haven't been seeing any outright negative reactions. The disappointed people seem to be "alright, not my pick, but good job" and almost everyone else has been exploding with joy (or at least pretty happy to see them again). Even reactions to the Dragon Quest rep are probably more positive than they would have been if they weren't announced alongside Banjo. For once I think we have a non-controversial DLC pick, folks.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Has anyone mentioned the Banjo Kazooie OST? Thing is a masterpiece.

I would love for them to get the whole thing into Smash Brothers. Even better would be some remixes, orchestrations or so on.

Jan 15, 2019
I really don't know who they'll go with for the last two. For shits n' giggles, here are the predictions my friend and I made back before any of the DLC characters were revealed:

Me:
Tails
Gen 8 starter
Urbosa
King Hippo
Sora

My friend:
Dr. Robotnik/Eggman
Tom Nook
Dr. E Gadd
Goku
Blood Falcon

Needless to say we're not doing so great. I still think there's a decent chance of a gen 8 starter, although every DLC character so far being 3rd party makes me question that. Out of all my guesses Urbosa is the only one I actually really wanted, personally. It's great that B-K got in though, I didn't guess B-K because it seemed too good to be true lol.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
The amount of love this announcement got on Twitter, the tens of thousands of likes and retweets and all those impressions totally outstripping pretty much anything else Microsoft talked about at E3, besides Keanu and Scarlett, should be a pretty clear indicator that Banjo is still relevant to a lot of people. The Rare tweet about Banjo has 80k+ likes alone.

If MS wasn't already working on some kind of Banjo remake/revival I think this response just got the gears moving.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't know who they'll go with for the last two. For shits n' giggles, here are the predictions my friend and I made back before any of the DLC characters were revealed:

Me:
Tails
Gen 8 starter
Urbosa
King Hippo
Sora

My friend:
Dr. Robotnik/Eggman
Tom Nook
Dr. E Gadd
Goku
Blood Falcon

Needless to say we're not doing so great. I still think there's a decent chance of a gen 8 starter, although every DLC character so far being 3rd party makes me question that. Out of all my guesses Urbosa is the only one I actually really wanted, personally. It's great that B-K got in though, I didn't guess B-K because it seemed too good to be true lol.
My predictions from last year:
1. Knuckles
2. Eggman
3. Reiko Nagase
4. Aiai from Super Monkey Ball
5. Rayman or a Rabbid

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the amiibo will have the V for victory pose?

Oh jeez yeah, how the heck they gonna make an amiibo out of that pose?

The amount of love this announcement got on Twitter, the tens of thousands of likes and retweets and all those impressions totally outstripping pretty much anything else Microsoft talked about at E3, besides Keanu and Scarlett, should be a pretty clear indicator that Banjo is still relevant to a lot of people. The Rare tweet about Banjo has 80k+ likes alone.

If MS wasn't already working on some kind of Banjo remake/revival I think this response just got the gears moving.

"Xbox Scarlett is the future of gaming and runs at a native 120 FPS"

Everyone:

"Oh and Banjo is in Smash"

hamster.jpg

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I feel like people have often downplayed the Banjo franchise. Yeah, it's collecting dust nowadays, but during the N64 era it was an iconic, prestigious part of the Nintendo/Rare partnership. The original Banjo-Kazooie was a highly anticipated game within the industry, getting tons of hype and coverage before it even came out. Despite the status of it nowadays, after K. Rool and Ridley got in, if Nintendo and Microsoft were both made well aware of the fan demand, there would be little conflict bringing them to Smash.

It's actually pretty similar to how Mega Man was added to Smash 4 despite the franchise being put in cold storage at the time.

And I agree with Ryce that this is a special case for western characters. I fully expect the last two to be Japanese.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for Banjo's inclusion in Smash but happier for what else it might mean. Something like an N64 classic with the most essential titles actually included, or Rare Replay coming to Switch now seems more possible today. Also kinda weird but funny to always see Minecraft and Cuphead selling in the Top 10 Switch games (usually Top 3).

The reveal tricked me properly in the moment. Banjo Kazooie's silouette followed by Dunk Hunt with Dog reveal. For a second I thought I just saw what I wanted to see, lol.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

Absolutely. If MS and Rare still aren't convinced after this, then they're frankly quite blind.

goodsines

Oct 28, 2017
Colorado
Probabaly been said tons of time, but I am pretty damn shocked. I'm curious what kind of strings may have been pulled to work this out. At any rate, I'm really excited for this happening!!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Low poly, pixelated Pierce Brosnan for Smash

Doomguy for Smash

BJ Blazkowicz + Anya tag team for Smash
Goldeneye Bond could be Slappers Only and run around smacking people, and his victory screen could be him shaking hands with his opponents in the hospital. Also his stage would be the Facility and you can hide in the stall doors and at random Oddjob will run across the screen and punch people in the nuts.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The way this was revealed was immaculate -- the use of cinematic trailers in Nintendo's presentation compared to elsewhere at E3 is just a drastic contrast. I'll pick up every scrap of new content for Smash Ultimate just to have the most complete Smash out there, but Banjo is the first of the DLC characters I'm really pumped for, even though I've not played a Banjo-Kazooie game since my Blockbuster-used copy of BK2.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Im so glad they got the googly eyes right and stuff. Current Rare just gave up in Nuts and Bolts and just gave everyone round eyes that aren't at all googly, and made characters boxy because of the low poly count of the original games. Its slightly strange seeing Banjo and Kazooie look like this but it honestly just looks like the correct interpretation of Banjo and Kazooie and I freakin' love it.