• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Banjo has been my most wanted character for years, but I long wrote him off as an impossibility. When that puzzle piece bounced by, I thought I must've still been asleep. Sakurai is a king A KING ANONGST PEASANTS

Also think of the REMIXES

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Probabaly been said tons of time, but I am pretty damn shocked. I'm curious what kind of strings may have been pulled to work this out. At any rate, I'm really excited for this happening!!
Probably not that many. Microsoft is kinda in—fuck it—mode right now. I wouldn't be shocked if they just start to straight up port games to the Switch. Now Sony doing something like this would shock me.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Oh wow. Finally!! Pleasant surprise.

I'll get him for sure, but I gotta say, I think I'm smash fatigued. I played it for a hot week and have only picked it up on rare occasion if friends are around and we aren't playing board games. With each release I play less.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Who writes these Smash reveal cinematics? They've been absolutely stellar from the first one to this one. Like, laugh out loud for real.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
This. Im patiently waiting for the Rare Replay to come to Switch. Microsoft is currently doing ALL the right things.
I hadn't even thought of that. That on Switch or PC and I am sold on a double dip.

Definitely hyped for BK. I was thinking when they showed The Hero, "I'll probably get the fighter pass if they reveal someone I really want. Like Banjo". Jinjonator as the final smash makes it all the better. I thought that was THE funniest shit when it first came out.

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I was interested to see how they'd handle the naming. Banjo-Kazooie is the game name. Banjo and Kazooie are the characters. In the freeze frame, they titled them Banjo-Kazooie, but on Smashbros.com they call them Banjo & Kazooie. I wonder what the announcer will say. I'm more excited than I've ever been nonetheless.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Guys it just occurred to me: Banjo & Kazooie get their own run in classic mode. What do you think the theme will be? Honestly I could see it going a few ways but even a simple "let's reference each game with a different fight!" approach would be great (which I'll affectionately call "Getting Jiggy With It").

Imagine: A Diddy Kong Racing themed fight on an F-Zero stage against Diddy Kong, with Green Bowser as Tiptup, Isabelle as Pipsy, K. Rool as Krunch, Incineroar as Timber! A Banjo Pilot fight on a Pilotwings stage! The final fight on Spiral Mountain against resident witch, Bayonetta!

Anidav

Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane
I'm not going crazy.

Listen.

The pop sound effect from Diddy popping Krools sleep bubble is the same balloon pop from Diddy Kong racing.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough the announcement of this got more likes/retweets than the Halo Infinite trailer on twitter. If this doesn't show Microsoft that people still give a shit about this franchise then I don't know what will. I want a new game/remake so badly and I hope this gets that conversation going.

Last edited:

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
The way you missed Klonoa really makes sad.

Lol, I may have also missed.

- Tomba
- Jazz Jackrabbit
- Rayman
- Mickey Mouse
- Klonoa (there you go)
- Moogles/Chocobos
- Bomberman
- Toro
- Blinx
- Slime
- Aero the Acrobat
- Bonk
- Prinny
- Glover
- The Prince (Katamari Damacy)
- Rocket Robot
- Raz
- Spongebob Squarepants
- Lucky

Vandova

Feb 14, 2018
It's hard to describe but I used to play Banjo & Kazooie all the time on the N64 when I was a kid. The troll was fantastic, and when the music started playing I couldn't help but smile the entire time. :)

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Highlight of the show and E3 for me. I'm super pumped, but I know I'll end up disappointed as it'll just make me want a proper B&K game and that's never going to happen.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Took a pic to commemorate this momentous occasion
64244562_10218734003091829_7499573379163226112_o.jpg

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
so banjo is now the first character in smash owned by western company but there is still a small caveat as he was created for a japanese company. will we ever see a true 100% western smash rep?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Who writes these Smash reveal cinematics? They've been absolutely stellar from the first one to this one. Like, laugh out loud for real.
Pretty sure sakurai said he writes them himself and helps storyboarding them.

This is why brawl story is so shit compared to this cinematics and kid icarus uprising.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I fin hard to believe we live in a world where a Smash game have :

- Mario
- Sonic
- Pac-Man
- MegaMan
- Cloud
- Snake
- Ryu
- Joker
- Dragon Quest Hero
- Simon and Ritcher Belmont
- Bayonetta
- Banjo & Kazooie

I mean, do you guys remember those fakes from the gamecube here? The only characters we are missing from those are James Bond, MasterChief, Sub-Zero and Rayman, and out of those, I believe at least 2 are possible. Incredible, its like a dream

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I fin hard to believe we live in a world where a Smash game have :

- Mario
- Sonic
- Pac-Man
- MegaMan
- Cloud
- Snake
- Ryu
- Joker
- Dragon Quest Hero
- Simon and Ritcher Belmont
- Bayonetta
- Banjo & Kazooie

I mean, do you guys remember those fakes from the gamecube here? The only characters we are missing from those are James Bond, MasterChief, Sub-Zero and Rayman, and out of those, I believe at least 2 are possible. Incredible, its like a dream

And we even have long, long requested Ridley and K.Rool from the Nintendo side of things too!

papercan

Oct 25, 2017

Love the rareware logo on his backpack. I'm praying that microsoft and nintendo team up together and do something further with these characters, they look perfect.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I was listening to Kirkhope's rendition of Spiral Mountain and, not gonna lie, I felt a knot in my throat the moment I heard the xylophone playing those few notes of Treasure Trove Cove.

I promised I would never get emotional about a fucking Smash announcement and here I am.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps they'll save Rayman for the next Smash game. We could still get Master Chief though

I don't get why anyone would want Chief, he's just a very boring character and I'm not even sure how you could make his moveset interesting. I guess they could try, but I'd rather they stick with characters like Banjo.

TheChits

Oct 25, 2017
I think this might be my favorite smash reveal trailer. The rare boys getting so excited seeing Banjo is just such a feel good moment.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Awesome. Why cant MGS make a AAA banjo game with the intent of outdoing Mario odyssey?
It would never outdo Odyssey. However, Microsoft truly are fools for not pushing a remake of Kazooie and Tooie. In the current climate where the Crash and Spyro games are being remade and selling millions in the double digits, it's utterly maddening.

Banjo in Smash is getting them tons of positive press. Capitalize on it! The least I'd like to see is Rare Replay on Switch... I'm really hoping that's a reality once the Switch's life is over.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Guys it just occurred to me: Banjo & Kazooie get their own run in classic mode. What do you think the theme will be? Honestly I could see it going a few ways but even a simple "let's reference each game with a different fight!" approach would be great (which I'll affectionately call "Getting Jiggy With It").

Imagine: A Diddy Kong Racing themed fight on an F-Zero stage against Diddy Kong, with Green Bowser as Tiptup, Isabelle as Pipsy, K. Rool as Krunch, Incineroar as Timber! A Banjo Pilot fight on a Pilotwings stage! The final fight on Spiral Mountain against resident witch, Bayonetta!
Pipsy's a yellow mouse so it'd be a female Pikachu. With K. Rool as Crunch, too.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

In an old Nintendo Dream (from 2002) Sakurai confirmed that Banjo and Kazooie were planned to be a trophy in Melee. However, since Rare is a company in England it became difficult for them to approve the trophies and still have Melee on schedule. Joanna Dark was also mentioned.

Sounds like Banjo wasn't going to be playable in Melee even if the buyout hadn't happened. (Probably would have been in Brawl.)

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Why cant MGS make a AAA banjo game with the intent of outdoing Mario odyssey?

Let's hope the huge response to this announcement gets Microsoft's butt in gear when it comes to Banjo. It's insane to think that they've been sitting on this iconic franchise for over a decade all because of the mediocre reception to a game that's infamous for being the exact opposite of what the fanbase wanted. If Banjo-Threeie or a Crash/Spyro style remaster isn't in the cards at this point, they're absolute fools.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would never outdo Odyssey. However, Microsoft truly are fools for not pushing a remake of Kazooie and Tooie. In the current climate where the Crash and Spyro games are being remade and selling millions in the double digits, it's utterly maddening.

Banjo in Smash is getting them tons of positive press. Capitalize on it! The least I'd like to see is Rare Replay on Switch... I'm really hoping that's a reality once the Switch's life is over.

Hot take, i love 3d mario, and odyssey is pretty great, but I think the 1st banjo kazooie is better

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it would be weirder after the success of the spyro and crash trilogies that they have not at least did some internal meetings to consider doing the same with Banjo.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Who knows, a remake of the first 2 games may really be in the cards and perhaps for Scarlett