• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Love the rareware logo on his backpack. I'm praying that microsoft and nintendo team up together and do something further with these characters, they look perfect.

I wouldn't say perfect yet - Banjo's eyes are not very expressive yet. But they still have a few month to fix this.
But otherwise, yeah, it's still a dream come true.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Iconic character from the N64 era whose biggest obstacle was being currently owned by Microsoft means that an anime character being in is possible? lol

Nice avatar!

But yeah, I hope "video games only" is the one sticking point Sakurai never relents on. Smash is the greatest video game crossover ever and there's a never-ending supply of classic characters who deserve to be repped before it gets turned into an "anything goes" affair. Relative nobodies like K. Rool and Ridley would have never made it in if characters like Goku, Batman, and Spongebob were legitimate roster options.

Honestly, it would be weirder after the success of the spyro and crash trilogies that they have not at least did some internal meetings to consider doing the same with Banjo.

I assumed that the runaway success of the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter would have gotten them to wonder "hmm, maybe there's a market for this property", but they proved me wrong there so it's anyone's guess what will finally get them to wake up and smell the Jiggies.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, I have the suspicion that Microsoft doesn't see the need for Crash/Spyro styled remasters for Banjo considering that they already have the XBLA ports that they can just keep re-releasing with touched up graphical fidelity.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if any Nintendo/Microsoft deal for Banjo-Kazooie consisted entirely of:

"You can use them, but we get the rights to use whatever redesign you go with in future content/merchandise"

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, I have the suspicion that Microsoft doesn't see the need for Crash/Spyro styled remasters for Banjo considering that they already have the XBLA ports that they can just keep re-releasing with touched up graphical fidelity.

They should rerelease those old Banjo games on Switch at this point. That's clearly where the audience is.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
how the fuck are the last two characters going to live up to DQ and BK?!

Honestly...they probably aren't.

We've been through this last year, with Ridley, Simon, and K. Rool all being announced back to back, only for them to end it all with Isabelle and Incineroar lol.

Smash almost always blows its load like that.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

I'm calling it now: they'll go with a character from a relatively new and extremely popular game (Minecraft Steve, Fortnite guy/girl, Sans, etc) as well as a classic but "shocking" character that most wouldn't expect to see in Smash (Doom Slayer, Master Chief, Scorpion, etc).

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

We've been through this last year, with Ridley, Simon, and K. Rool all being announced back to back, only for them to end it all with Isabelle and Incineroar lol.

Won't lie, if it gives us Banno earlier in the season pass than later, it's not all bad they did it like this.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm fairly confident that the last two characters will be from Capcom and Bethesda, respectively. And I'm 90% certain the latter will be Doomslayer.
Though if the Mii Costume Theory ends up panning out, my expectation would be Bethesda swapped for Bandai Namco (likely Tekken).

I don't think they necessarily have to live up to DQ & Banjo. Smash reveal cycles rarely end with a bang, as we recently saw with Ken & Incineroar for the base game.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, once they announced Ridley, I was confident that Banjo and Geno were coming too. Don't know about the other remaining DLC character, except that it's probably a kinda-promotion tie-in to a new(ish) game, but Geno's in, for sure.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still confident on my bet that the final character will be Geno, and Sakurai will just ascend to Valhalla to never be seen again so no one could ask him anything ever. At this point, the 4th newcomer could be literally anyone.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I don't think Geno, a minor character with no development or personality from the 7th best Mario rpg game, is in.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017

Isabelle was the most hype inclusion in the base game though.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised that y'all are giving everyone but Namco the possibility of a DLC fighter.

They're the only third party to not get a new representative in Ultimate, and heck, they're co-developers on this game!

Donizetty

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Mexico

Corrin was one of the last DLC characters from smash 4 and everybody hated him/her.
This time the character that everybody will hate will be Rex/Pyra

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Highlight of the show and E3 for me. I'm super pumped, but I know I'll end up disappointed as it'll just make me want a proper B&K game and that's never going to happen.
Funnily enough the announcement of this got more likes/retweets than the Halo Infinite trailer on twitter. If this doesn't show Microsoft that people still give a shit about this franchise then I don't know what will. I want a new game/remake so badly and I hope this gets that conversation going.
I think it depends on how well this particular pack sells. The franchise's downturn was never the fault of the characters not being popular, but of Rare's mismanagement with Nuts & Bolts.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I think it depends on how well this particular pack sells. The franchise's downturn was never the fault of the characters not being popular, but of Rare's mismanagement with Nuts & Bolts.
I think Nuts & Bolts is a perfectly fine game, perhaps even a great one, but it's really an acquired taste and one that requires a heavy pill to swallow that no, this is NOT Banjo how you remember. It is, however, directly inspired by the old games in art and music and completely reimagines the gameplay to support the vehicle creation system.

However, it is crazy to me that no one at Microsoft has even thought to lend the IP to another developer capable of making and passionate about 3D platformers, particularly Banjo. The games would age very well today and people would definitely buy a remake of both Kazooie and Tooie. Make it a timed exclusive for Xbox One/Nextbox and give it to Switch owns like 6+ months down the road and I'll buy it.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
People also want Waluigi, but it's unlikely they will put him in.
Well, he is an assist trophy, so he's pretty much done. I think stickers have a higher chance.

Also, let's be real, most people want Waluigi in the game as a meme, and nothing else. Is truly not a grandiose and developed character -not any more than Geno-. All the characters that are getting into the game have been requested for years. Waluigi rise to the popularity was just until lately thanks to the internet pushing for him but mostly because he's the most unlikely character to be involved in it.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I know these two are doubtful, but it would be cool for Crash and Spyro. Kind of completes the big 90s mascots. Mario, Sonic, Crash, Banjo, and Spyro.

ooh, Rayman as well, because i forgot about him

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
After way too much thought, I finally figured out that the grenade egg section of the trailer was a rather odd way to reference Conga and Chimpy from Mumbo's Mountain.
(why yeti Kong and BotW tower though?)

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
I know these two are doubtful, but it would be cool for Crash and Spyro. Kind of completes the big 90s mascots. Mario, Sonic, Crash, Banjo, and Spyro.

ooh, Rayman as well, because i forgot about him
I get the impression that it would be Crash or nothing.
Even if I want Spyro more, I mean look at my name.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Well, he is an assist trophy, so he's pretty much done. I think stickers have a higher chance.

Also, let's be real, most people want Waluigi in the game as a meme, and nothing else. Is truly not a grandiose and developed character -not any more than Geno-. All the characters that are getting into the game have been requested for years. Waluigi rise to the popularity was just until lately thanks to the internet pushing for him but mostly because he's the most unlikely character to be involved in it.

I would argue Geno is as much of a meme as Waluigi. SMRPG was being treated as a meme back in the Brawl days, and it's not suddenly that it becomes legit support. He's no Ridley, or K. Rool, or Banjo, who are major recurring characters of significant Nintendo games.

In any case, Smash already has his meme rep, Duck Hunt. A far more deserving one too.

Geno simply does not have history and is a rather obscure pick. Sakurai is very much aware of his popularity, but there's a reason why, despite acquiring his rights, he hasn't made Geno playable.

Last edited:

Gafftron

Dec 11, 2017
Anyone have a gif of Duck Hunt laughing at the screen? I would love to have that
giphy.gif

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
The few characters I'd say would have as close of an impact as Banjo would be Kratos (or some Sony IP), the Doom Slayer, Master Chief or Crash