• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
If by some miracle another Square character gets in I think it'll be Geno.

Geno strikes me as the sort of "left-field surprise" character you'd include to round out the roster in the base game, not a character you'd try to sell separately for $5.99.

If we're talking paid DLC, I think they'd choose Sora over Geno. Especially if Kingdom Hearts III S was on the way, and there's little reason to believe it isn't.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Geno strikes me as the sort of "left-field surprise" character you'd include to round out the roster in the base game, not a character you'd try to sell separately for $5.99.

If we're talking paid DLC, I think they'd choose Sora over Geno. Especially if Kingdom Hearts III S was on the way, and there's little reason to believe it isn't.

Sora is owned by Disney.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
As in he's not a Square character and is instead owned by a megaconglomerate.

And Banjo-Kazooie is owned by Nintendo's direct competitor. And yet, that happened!

Disney is willing to put Mickey Mouse in a weird crossover anime video game; I don't think putting a character exclusive to that video game in a different crossover game would somehow be a bridge too far. Do you really think Disney is going to hold Sora more sacred than Mickey Mouse?

It's pretty bizarre to say "Sora is Disney, next" and just shut down that discussion in a world where Kingdom Hearts, y'know, exists. (And is pretty popular, to boot.)

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine wanting Geno in... can't relate!!!

Honestly, I feel like what held Geno back was Square. When you can work with third parties and get franchises like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest in your game, why pick Geno?

Then again, you could have said the same thing with Minecraft and Banjo-Kazooie. So maybe I'm wrong.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I feel really bad for that whole team. I love so many people at Playtonic and the internet ripped their game to shreds.

It's not near as good as it could be but it's still good. It's biggest issue is actually collecting everything is near impossible despite the whole hook being to collect. Game needed a vague map system or something to at least semi direct when you get to a point. I think im still missing 5 paigies in the first world and have no idea where to go.

That said I was hoping they'd try again, 2d game gutted me.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
They should do the fake-out skit again for DLC character 4 but this time, it really is a fake out and the video ends with Sakurai staring intensely at the screen.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Because nobody other than Nintendo takes 3D platformers seriously anymore. Look at the anger here if anyone suggest Naughty Dog or Insomniac ever return to the franchises that put them on the map, it would be "a waste of talent" (ugh)

Interestingly enough, you don't ever hear this kind of sentiment about Rare. In fact, we hear the opposite all the time. That Rare should go back to the 90's and start making platformers again. Yet the idea of ND and Insomniac making platformers is frowned upon. Wonder why that is?

Like, if Rare were to announce Banjo Threeie, I doubt anybody would be saying it's a waste of their talent. Is it possible there's more demand for Rare's classic IPs to return than Crash or Spyro?

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly enough, you don't ever hear this kind of sentiment about Rare. In fact, we hear the opposite all the time. That Rare should go back to the 90's and start making platformers again. Yet the idea of ND and Insomniac making platformers is frowned upon. Wonder why that is?

Like, if Rare were to announce Banjo Threeie, I doubt anybody would be saying it's a waste of their talent. Is it possible there's more demand for Rare's classic IPs to return than Crash or Spyro?

My take is that it has more to do with ND and Insomanic finding success in more mature titles and thus finding new audiences. You and I both know well Rare struggled for a while on the Xbox.

May 13, 2019
And Banjo-Kazooie is owned by Nintendo's direct competitor. And yet, that happened!

Disney is willing to put Mickey Mouse in a weird crossover anime video game; I don't think putting a character exclusive to that video game in a different crossover game would somehow be a bridge too far. Do you really think Disney is going to hold Sora more sacred than Mickey Mouse?

It's pretty bizarre to say "Sora is Disney, next" and just shut down that discussion in a world where Kingdom Hearts, y'know, exists. (And is pretty popular, to boot.)
What if Sakurai doesn't want to deal with Disney? He may have a lot of clout in the videogame industry but taking on such international giant is a whole new thing.

May 13, 2019
Nintendo and Disney have worked together before, it wouldn't be solely Sakurai having to reach out and make a deal.
About this, I recall reading somewhere that there's some bad blood between Nintendo and Disney. I cannot remember why , only that both companies would rather not work together.

EDIT: I think it had something to do with the Super Mario Bros movie bombing. Apparently, it's the reason of why Nintendo went for Universal for its theme park.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still trying to process how wonderful this all is (IT'S SO WONDERFUL!!). But in the meantime, I'm wondering how the spring pad works in the air. I'm guessing that's the Up B recovery. Does it just spawn midair and you jump off it? Does it spawn and then fall to the ground like Sonic's Spring or Mega Man's Rush Coil?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
My one request now is a Witch's Lair remix (or heck, even a direct midi rip, ideally with each of the world lobby variants).

But yeah, whatever else may be in this bundle, Challenger Pack #3 is the stuff of dreams.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
so glad there isn't a trash Nuts and bolts reference to be found
tumblr_o54kl3WqcG1rrftcdo1_400.gif

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019

The problem I'm seeing is the "Goku and Iron Man" rule.

Like, yeah, Sora's a video game character. Kingdom Hearts is half Final Fantasy. It has its own video game characters, yeah. But be honest with me for a minute: do you really want Sora without Donald & Goofy? Because Kingdom Hearts identity is tightly interwoven with Disney's characters. I wouldn't rule it out as impossible, with how this roster has been turning out, and I'd be down to see Sora show up (I could reactions to him being INSANE, I know a lot of people want him). But, at the end of the day, I keep thinking about Sakurai's feelings about non-video game characters, and I can't imagine Sora showing up without these non-Video Game characters.

Disney wouldn't be the obstacle here, the nature of its characters is. It would need Sakurai to open up the door to even MORE harassment from people who want Goku, because he'd be breaking the one barrier to entry to that character: that he didn't originate in a video game. I don't think you'd do Sora justice without the Disney aspect of his series being represented, and I just don't know if Sakurai will do that. I may exaggerating here but you get the idea.

It's not impossible, there's a lot you could do for a moveset for him, but he'd feel incomplete.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
My take is that it has more to do with ND and Insomanic finding success in more mature titles and thus finding new audiences. You and I both know well Rare struggled for a while on the Xbox.

Yeah, that's definitely true. I reckon if Rare was a top tier developer on Xbox systems and released groundbreaking new IPs, they'd probably have fallen victim to the same type of sentiment.

They're definitely not showing any signs of going back to the N64 days anyway. What with their current direction in making multiplayer focused games and such.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Yeah well Nintendo is now working with their theme park enemy so maybe that won't be happening.
Disney isn't going to be so sour about that if it means more money elsewhere. They're going to continue having a working relationship with Nintendo either way, so it's not like they have zero channels of communication for such a thing to occur.

It may not be likely by any stretch of the imagination, but it's never impossible.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's definitely true. I reckon if Rare was a top tier developer on Xbox systems and released groundbreaking new IPs, they'd probably have fallen victim to the same type of sentiment.

They're definitely not showing any signs of going back to the N64 days anyway. What with their current direction in making multiplayer focused games and such.
I think Rare might be done with BK, but recent revivals like Crash and Spyro have to have Microsoft reconsider their stance on the series. They could also pull a Killer Instinct and give it to another developer.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Hoping for some reason we get more Rare remixes than just Banjo but I highly doubt it.

Could go for the Live and Reloaded version of Rock Solid being in Smash:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
What if Sakurai doesn't want to deal with Disney? He may have a lot of clout in the videogame industry but taking on such international giant is a whole new thing.

Nintendo already has a relationship with Disney; they published the Disney Magical Kingdom games. They even made custom 3DS hardware with Mickey iconography.

I don't understand why people are acting like it would be Sakurai himself just cold-calling companies, or why people think Nintendo making a deal with Disney to essentially promote their game would be harder than Nintendo making a deal with their direct competitor to license their characters for a game that is exclusive to Nintendo's console. That seems like way more of a headache, to me, than licensing Sora from a Scary Big Company that they already work with.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In a photo on the website.

I mean, Mumbo is a fairly abstract character, unlike Humba who is a pretty specific stereotype.

Ohhhh ok. I've seen the photo, I just though that it was taken from the trailer.

And yeah, I don't really know who Mumbo would offend. He's just kind of a witch doctor dude. Which makes complete sense as he used to work for Grunty. He ain't hurtin nobody.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The problem I'm seeing is the "Goku and Iron Man" rule.

Like, yeah, Sora's a video game character. Kingdom Hearts is half Final Fantasy. It has its own video game characters, yeah. But be honest with me for a minute: do you really want Sora without Donald & Goofy? Because Kingdom Hearts identity is tightly interwoven with Disney's characters. I wouldn't rule it out as impossible, with how this roster has been turning out, and I'd be down to see Sora show up (I could reactions to him being INSANE, I know a lot of people want him). But, at the end of the day, I keep thinking about Sakurai's feelings about non-video game characters, and I can't imagine Sora showing up without these non-Video Game characters.

Disney wouldn't be the obstacle here, the nature of its characters is. It would need Sakurai to open up the door to even MORE harassment from people who want Goku, because he'd be breaking the one barrier to entry to that character: that he didn't originate in a video game. I don't think you'd do Sora justice without the Disney aspect of his series being represented, and I just don't know if Sakurai will do that. I may exaggerating here but you get the idea.

It's not impossible, there's a lot you could do for a moveset for him, but he'd feel incomplete.

I don't see that being much of an issue, personally. The only place Donald and Goofy would need to show up is in Sora's Final Smash, which is a reasonable cameo and doesn't break the "video game characters only" rule, which only really applies to playable characters and maybe assist trophies. Sora's stage would be Twilight Town, of course, not any Disney property.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
People talk about Sora and Disney as if Nintendo didn't already have to deal with a multi-billion dollar corporation giant with Banjo and Microsoft and I frankly don't get it.

In fact, the more time passes, the more I get the impression it would be easier for them to work with Disney than with Square Enix.

May 13, 2019
Nintendo already has a relationship with Disney; they published the Disney Magical Kingdom games. They even made custom 3DS hardware with Mickey iconography.

I don't understand why people are acting like it would be Sakurai himself just cold-calling companies, or why people think Nintendo making a deal with Disney to essentially promote their game would be harder than Nintendo making a deal with their direct competitor to license their characters for a game that is exclusive to Nintendo's console. That seems like way more of a headache, to me, than licensing Sora from a Scary Big Company that they already work with.
You say that as the promise of promoting a game would warranty a meaningful cooperation. SE's meagre contributions show that, for some companies, free advertisement isn't enough.