• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that Banjo got in before Conker. Especially since the latter is more relevant with Young Conker for HoloLens and Project Spark.

This shit is definitely keeping me up at night...

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
You say that as the promise of promoting a game would warranty a meaningful cooperation. SE's meagre contributions show that, for some companies, free advertisement isn't enough.

Licensing characters is literally Disney's business. Like, that's how they make most of their money. Making these sorts of deals is what they do.

I don't understand why here people think it's impossible that Disney would ever license Sora, or that they would be this impossible company to make a deal with. It's baffling.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Honestly, I feel like what held Geno back was Square. When you can work with third parties and get franchises like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest in your game, why pick Geno?

Then again, you could have said the same thing with Minecraft and Banjo-Kazooie. So maybe I'm wrong.

I think the Geno issue is that Sora/Hero are bigger gets and would sell better, so despite being heavily requested it's really hard to justify him. I wouldn't be shocked to see him on the base roster of Smash 6, but I don't think he's DLC material.

Nintendo already has a relationship with Disney; they published the Disney Magical Kingdom games. They even made custom 3DS hardware with Mickey iconography.

I don't understand why people are acting like it would be Sakurai himself just cold-calling companies, or why people think Nintendo making a deal with Disney to essentially promote their game would be harder than Nintendo making a deal with their direct competitor to license their characters for a game that is exclusive to Nintendo's console. That seems like way more of a headache, to me, than licensing Sora from a Scary Big Company that they already work with.

I think the biggest issue with Disney is future proofing. I don't think Disney would be easy to deal with when it comes to future proofing the rights so it can be rereleased in the future. I'm sure if they tried they'd be able to get Sora in, and maybe even a Donald assist trophy, but Cloud and DQ took priority.

Deleted member 57718

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Like, yeah, Sora's a video game character. Kingdom Hearts is half Final Fantasy. It has its own video game characters, yeah. But be honest with me for a minute: do you really want Sora without Donald & Goofy?

Yes, absolutely, throw in Riku and Kairi for Trinity Limit if they use that for Final Smash, it wouldn't feel off at all (though personally I think if he got in his final smash would be Ragnarok).

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
so glad there isn't a trash Nuts and bolts reference to be found
Yeah my favorite part by far is them using the original character design, as opposed to Nuts & Bolts' ugly redesigns (imo).

I don't hate N&B nearly as much as some folks so if they want to include references to that, fine, but I find Banjo's new design considerably worse than say, Modern Sonic versus Classic Sonic.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From Nintendo fans, probably Geno or Waluigi
From the industry as a whole, I'd imagine Sora

I think Master Chief is the next big one to get, but they gotta save something for the next Smash Bros. and that Microsoft relationship will probably continue to warm for a few more years.

Jill from Resident Evil is gonna get into this current Smash though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird if I don't consider Banjo a third party rep, let alone one from a competing company?

That trailer was not "thanks to our friends at Microsoft" like Cuphead. That was straight up the homecoming of two beloved Nintendo icons. That was Rare's most beloved characters partying it up. That was Banjo proudly being center stage surrounded by other Nintendo characters.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Very confused on geno being most wanted when people only started bringing him up after Ridley and King K rool's inclusion.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very confused on geno being most wanted when people only started bringing him up after Ridley and King K rool's inclusion.

It was more that their inclusion got the Geno fanbase riled up over the idea that he could make it in.

I'd certainly be happy and I'm not quite ready to give up on him, but I do think he's pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of beloved Smash What-Ifs.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That will probably never happen. Way too many hurdles, and it's square, and not japanese.

Wouldn't it being Square-Enix kinda help though seeing as how they are a Japanese company that already works with Nintendo a lot.

It wouldn't stun me for the next proper Smash game. I think this one though they've basically given fans almost every character that was really heavily requested. Next time to top that they may have to look at more Western legacy characters to up the ante.

I think Jill from RE and Heiachi from Tekken are the two remaining picks for Smash Ultimate ... so I mean the next Smash game is gonna have a tough go topping this, lol.

Master Chief, Lara Croft wouldn't be bad.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Well, here's who is left to add from my estimation:

Crash Bandicoot
Master Chief
Lara Croft
Sepiroth
Spyro
Geno
Dante
Rayman
Joanna Dark
Monster Hunter

I'm sure some people want Regina, Goku, or Jak and Daxter, but those are basically impossible so I'm not counting anything like that. Of course, I'm sure there are a lot of side-characters from Nintendo properties that people want, but that seems unlikely for DLC. I love Kirby as much as the next guy, but Bandana Waddle Dee ain't happenin'.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
I'm sure this has been discussed to death but is there a greater expectation that Microsoft will develop a new Banjo game?

I imagine a remake would be an easy win and low risk for a next gen launch title.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Is it weird if I don't consider Banjo a third party rep, let alone one from a competing company?

That trailer was not "thanks to our friends at Microsoft" like Cuphead. That was straight up the homecoming of two beloved Nintendo icons. That was Rare's most beloved characters partying it up. That was Banjo proudly being center stage surrounded by other Nintendo characters.

There was definitely a, "they've always belonged to us" vibe in that trailer.

It's Smash so they could've went a million different ways with the characters they used. But using the Rare properties (or the properties they're known for working on back in the day) just felt right and was absolutely fitting. Fun play off of the K. Rool trailer and the fact that people always kind of saw Duck Hunt as a diet Banjo-Kazooie since their inclusion.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has been discussed to death but is there a greater expectation that Microsoft will develop a new Banjo game?

I imagine a remake would be an easy win and low risk for a next gen launch title.

Whatever comes next for Banjo I think it'll be on Nintendo consoles. That's where his audience is.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it being Square-Enix kinda help though seeing as how they are a Japanese company that already works with Nintendo a lot.

It wouldn't stun me for the next proper Smash game. I think this one though they've basically given fans almost every character that was really heavily requested. Next time to top that they may have to look at more Western legacy characters to up the ante.

I think Jill from RE and Heiachi from Tekken are the two remaining picks for Smash Ultimate ... so I mean the next Smash game is gonna have a tough go topping this, lol.

Master Chief, Lara Croft wouldn't be bad.
Lara really isn't that wanted though honestly. She isn't some long time wanted one and doesn't get brought up a ton. So a combination of being really hard to get in and not even that wanted.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

If anything, Square-Enix hurts his chances.

Speaking of "lol Square" I'm betting we're only getting those two DQ songs that played on the Hero trailer. Notice the lack of new DQ music updates despite Spiral Mountain being on the Smash Bros website.

Square, in all of its foolishness, is just refusing to play ball.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Well, here's who is left to add from my estimation:

Crash Bandicoot
Master Chief
Lara Croft
Sepiroth
Spyro
Geno
Dante
Rayman
Joanna Dark
Monster Hunter

This is a pretty good list of candidates, though I would add Tracer, Sora, and Steve/Alex (and, if we're talking a Smash sequel, Shovel Knight and Bomberman to replace their assist trophies).

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Conker has never been as popular as Banjo Kazooie. The only Rare project from that era that had a bigger impact was Goldeneye.

DK64 and DKR both outsold Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark sold about the same as Banjo.

But if you're talking about what games made the most impact in terms of being the most iconic Rare games, then I guess you'd be right more or less.

Whatever comes next for Banjo I think it'll be on Nintendo consoles. That's where his audience is.

There's no way what comes next for Banjo won't be on Xbox consoles as well.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid playing BK I was absolutely obsessed with the Jinjos/Jinonator. Favorite character in the game lol. I loved how they were the yoshis of BK. Can't believe they brought the Jinjonator back! Makes sense since it's like the most powerful thing in BK-verse.

You know when you think about it, Jinjos were really the eight red coin missions from Mario 64 of BK.

Collect a certain amount of something to unlock one of the world's main collectibles.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
I think Rayman would be last "wanted" character before the roster becomes complete to me. I've wanted him in Smash since I played Rayman 2 on the N64.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah well Nintendo is now working with their theme park enemy so maybe that won't be happening.
Nintendo has been collaborating with Disney as recently as Wreck-It Ralph.
DK64 and DKR both outsold Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark sold about the same as Banjo.

But if you're talking about what games made the most impact in terms of being the most iconic Rare games, then I guess you'd be right more or less.

There's no way what comes next for Banjo won't be on Xbox consoles as well.
I somehow pushed those two games of my mind because I associate them closer to Nintendo, but you're right.

I wonder now, how did StarFox Adventures do? Could that have become a series if Rare had stayed?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only character I want left is Geno, but that's more of a cherry on top kind of situation.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I somehow pushed those two games of my mind because I associate them closer to Nintendo, but you're right.

I wonder now, how did StarFox Adventures do? Could that have become a series if Rare had stayed?

As far as I remember, Star Fox Adventures didn't actually do too bad. I think it reached at least a million in sales.

Given the story behind SFA's development and the general negative reception the game has, I'm not sure if it would've turned into a series honestly.

Take a look at Diddy Kong Racing for instance. A game that is beloved and sold millions and millions of copies, but has never gotten an actual sequel besides that weird DS remake. Though if Rare had stayed, maybe Donkey Kong Racing would've actually come out on the GameCube......

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I would LOVE a remaster in this art-style.

vlcsnap-2019-06-11-22h18m48s344.png

Sakurai and the team has done a perfect job encapsulating the look of Banjo-Kazooie.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

The same was said for Mega Man.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
So what's left for most wanted characters besides Geno?

For characters/franchises that make sense: Rayman, Waluigi, Steve from Minecraft, Isaac from Golden Sun, someone from Advance Wars,

Pipedreams: Geno, someone from Wario Ware, Captain Rainbow, Custom Robo character, Pilotwings/Wave Race/Excitbike, Bomberman

Non-nonsensical: Sora (seriously this is way more connected to Sony), Master Chief, Resident Evil representation