• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For characters/franchises that make sense: Rayman, Waluigi, Steve from Minecraft, Isaac from Golden Sun, someone from Advance Wars,

Pipedreams: Geno, someone from Wario Ware, Captain Rainbow, Custom Robo character, Pilotwings/Wave Race/Excitbike, Bomberman

Non-nonsensical: Sora (seriously this is way more connected to Sony), Master Chief, Resident Evil representation

What's nonsensical about RE?

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Man, I would LOVE a remaster in this art-style.

vlcsnap-2019-06-11-22h18m48s344.png

Sakurai and the team has done a perfect job encapsulating the look of Banjo-Kazooie.
They really do look great. I am stunned how well Sakurai and his team have nailed so many of these characters and to see these two show up looking like this is just insane.

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, we really are approaching the age of "who is left to add?"

Geno is obviously still the white whale that fans want. But past him? I dunno. We're gonna have to get into some far reaches like Crash Bandicoot and Rayman at a certain point.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, Square-Enix hurts his chances.

Speaking of "lol Square" I'm betting we're only getting those two DQ songs that played on the Hero trailer. Notice the lack of new DQ music updates despite Spiral Mountain being on the Smash Bros website.

Square, in all of its foolishness, is just refusing to play ball.

Unlike with FF, it has absolutely nothing to do with Square Enix because they don't own the music of the franchise at all due to the initial contract of Enix with the big three. It's copyright is all owned by Sugiyama with what he composed since the first game and he's the one who controls it.

But no, probably DQ will have much more music due to it being orchestrated already

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Let's see... Characters that would to my knowledge steer up some more weird feelings:

- Minecraft Steve: For the teens
- Sephiroth/Kefka: For the edge
- Shantae: For the indies
- Waluigi: for the trolls
- Glover: for the surviving 6 fans
- Unraveled: for the EA
- Sora: For the Disney
- Katamari dude: For the surprise
- Pokey: for mother
- Vladimir Putin: for mother Russia

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird if I don't consider Banjo a third party rep, let alone one from a competing company?

That trailer was not "thanks to our friends at Microsoft" like Cuphead. That was straight up the homecoming of two beloved Nintendo icons. That was Rare's most beloved characters partying it up. That was Banjo proudly being center stage surrounded by other Nintendo characters.
I know they're third-party characters, but I personally consider Bayonetta and Banjo & Kazooie honorary Nintendo characters since their Smash depictions are based primarily on games published by Nintendo.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo already has a relationship with Disney; they published the Disney Magical Kingdom games. They even made custom 3DS hardware with Mickey iconography.

I don't understand why people are acting like it would be Sakurai himself just cold-calling companies, or why people think Nintendo making a deal with Disney to essentially promote their game would be harder than Nintendo making a deal with their direct competitor to license their characters for a game that is exclusive to Nintendo's console. That seems like way more of a headache, to me, than licensing Sora from a Scary Big Company that they already work with.

Nintendo only published this game on the west as regional publishing. This is a Bandai namco series and games licensed to them.

People talk about Sora and Disney as if Nintendo didn't already have to deal with a multi-billion dollar corporation giant with Banjo and Microsoft and I frankly don't get it.

In fact, the more time passes, the more I get the impression it would be easier for them to work with Disney than with Square Enix.

Square will be involved either way in this case even if they don't own the franchise because they're the publisher and more importantly, developer of it so Nomura will be there, for ex. Disney relationship with the franchise aside from being the owner is so minimal that they will leave everything to SE if they accept the money to license and put Sora on Smash. Nintendo and SE will be the ones there. If there's some cameo on Mickey, Donald or Goofy, then Disney will be involved in supervision as well, of course.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yikes. The generation where 2D games were verboten and frat boy culture was at its worst. Bad take, my dude.

I love 2d as much as the next guy, you don't judge a generation by the stupidity of it, and if you did well, them turning our 60 dollar games into phone game hybrids is a lot worse than focusing on big budget 3D stuff. I prefer 3D generally over 2d myself, but play both ritually. Plus, the Dreamcast was king of 2D games and that was definitely a system in it prime during the 2000's.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Does Nintendo still do night events at E3 like the one where PAC-Man was revealed? Not that I'm expecting another announcement, but I wonder if maybe anyone would do a more in-depth look at Hero's moveset or even something like games they couldn't fit in the Direct.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I am happy for the fans that hate the Nuts & Bolts design, but I do hope it is an alternate skin and we get some direct references beyond the first game. Hundreds of thousands of fans grew up with the N&B design. And for me personally as a big fan of the series, it's my second favorite game after the original. It absolutely gets too much hate within certain groups.

If Mario can openly reference a controversial sequel like Sunshine and Sonic can have a level from trash like Lost World then I think Banjo can reference Nuts & Bolts too. Hell, throw some Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Pilot and some other references in there too.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I love 2d as much as the next guy, you don't judge a generation by the stupidity of it, and if you did well, them turning our 60 dollar games into phone game hybrids is a lot worse than focusing on big-budget 3D stuff. I prefer 3D generally over 2d myself but play both ritually. Plus, the Dreamcast was king of 2D games and that was definitely a system in its prime during the 2000s.

Alright, that was a good response. The PS2 had a phenomenal library, no doubt about it, but I'm just excited about how much Nintendo is killing it.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Alright, that was a good response. The PS2 had a phenomenal library, no doubt about it, but I'm just excited about how much Nintendo is killing it.

In my mind, that gen was Sega at it's best, Sony at near their best (I do prefer PS1 but PS2 is great), Nintendo at their middle, and Xbox had a really good start too. You basically got all 4 companies firing at the same time, along with that the GBA was around then too.. Such a good generation.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017

Unlike Ridley and Krool, Geno had little presence during the smash 4 pre ballot days. Mario fans flocked to pushing for bowser jr and paper mario. Even after the ballot announcement, his support sat in the back seat while Princess Daisy's and (captain) toad was in front. People talked about the mii costume, and Sakurai's interview for one day before moving on.

How Geno managed to quickly catapult his way to top 20 in polls after the august 2018 direct is fucking incredible.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unlike Ridley and Krool, Geno had little presence during the smash 4 pre ballot days. Mario fans flocked to pushing for bowser jr and paper mario. Even after the ballot announcement, his support sat in the back seat while Princess Daisy's and (captain) toad was in front. People talked about the mii costume, and Sakurai's interview for one day before moving on.

How Geno managed to quickly catapult his way to top 20 in polls after the august 2018 direct is fucking incredible.

What kickstarted the Geno fanbase after Smash For's release was the Mii costume and an interview Sakurai did where he talked about how he liked Geno and wanted him to be playable, calling him a "good fit" for Smash.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
What kickstarted the Geno fanbase after Smash For's release was the Mii costume and an interview Sakurai did where he talked about how he liked Geno and wanted him to be playable, calling him a "good fit" for Smash.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Geno's fanbase had mostly given up by the time Smash 4 was announced, it was Sakurai's interview in 2016 and the Mii costume that gave them that ray of hope.

Banjo-Kazooie fans went through a similar thing, actually. Basically everyone thought it would 100% never happen due to them being owned by Microsoft, but then in April 2015, just in time for the ballot, Phil Spencer came out on Twitter and gave his blessings for it, which reignited the flames for Banjo being in Smash.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I am happy for the fans that hate the Nuts & Bolts design, but I do hope it is an alternate skin and we get some direct references beyond the first game. Hundreds of thousands of fans grew up with the N&B design. And for me personally as a big fan of the series, it's my second favorite game after the original. It absolutely gets too much hate within certain groups.

If Mario can openly reference a controversial sequel like Sunshine and Sonic can have a level from trash like Lost World then I think Banjo can reference Nuts & Bolts too. Hell, throw some Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Pilot and some other references in there too.

I doubt there are "hundreds of thousands" of people who played Nuts And Bolts as kids and then got into the franchise that way.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was planned to be a playable character on Brawl and his assets were in the game. That's where the fan favor came from when it was digged up and discovered. I'm not sure if Sakurai commented on it.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
man I'm so happy breegull bash made it as a move

everyone thinks banjo is some kind of well-mannered polite bear

but it's always been my opinion that he's kind of an ass towards kazooie (because of this move and other things he does)

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

but it's always been my opinion that he's kind of an ass towards kazooie (because of this move and other things he does)
But Kazooie deserves. She is mean as fuck and loves to roast people. That bird is wild. And banjo is kinda innocent most of the time.
Breegull_Bash.png

And this wil never not make me laugh

Last edited:

Aminga

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever comes next for Banjo I think it'll be on Nintendo consoles. That's where his audience is.
That's your opinion and your entitled to it, but as a switch and Xbox One X and PC gamer I want banjo on all of these platforms, but I want it most on PC. I want graphics to be on par with the platforming<amazing>? Make it an Xbox one x or pc version first and then scale it down for switch would be awesome, new banjo that looks amazing and new banjo on the go for switch that looks decent, win win, Just my opinion.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

I love that idle animation where Kazooie pops out of the backpack and keeps poking Banjo on the head, followed by another one if you wait long enough where she pops out to do it again but Banjo proceeds to wring her neck and laugh about it as she chokes.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
But Kazooie deserves. She is mean as fuck and loves to roast people. That bird is wild. And banjo is kinda innocent most of the time.
Breegull_Bash.png

And this wil never not make me laugh
Man I played both N64 games a lot and I don't remember that move at all, in fact in the reveal trailer I was wondering if this was the first time Sakurai took some liberties with a third party character's move set lol

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I'm still processing all of this. Banjo has been my most wanted Smash character for so long, but I made peace with them not getting in a long time ago. Hell I didn't even vote for them in the Smash ballot because it seemed so impossible. When the reveal trailer aired I was speechless. Just want to mention how happy I am that they got in.

I also really like Dragon Quest, so that reveal was super hype. Joker is awesome too. They have done such a good job with the dlc.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's your opinion and your entitled to it, but as a switch and Xbox One X and PC gamer I want banjo on all of these platforms, but I want it most on PC. I want graphics to be on par with the platforming<amazing>? Make it an Xbox one x or pc version first and then scale it down for switch would be awesome, new banjo that looks amazing and new banjo on the go for switch that looks decent, win win, Just my opinion.
Yeah, just do the same thing as Crash/Spyro and have it be on all the platforms (besides PS4 of course)

Oct 27, 2017
Once I saw that jiggy skate across the screen I had 2 immediate thoughts:
1. Holy fuck it's Banjo
2. Please don't be garbage Nuts and Bolts design.

ugoo18

Oct 27, 2017
Please does someone have a hi res version of the closing shot with Banjo and all the other characters celebrating before it fades out with Jiggies.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how the Talon Trot works. At first I thought it kicks in after a short period of normal running, but then I noticed two things:

1) When we first see the Talon Trot, it's preceded by Banjo jumping, landing, and running for just a moment before starting the Talon Trot.
2) Later, we see Banjo running normally while carrying the beehive, and he runs at length without the Talon Trot.

In other words, we see both Banjo running normally for a period of time, and Banjo going into the Talon Trot in a -shorter- period of time.

So I don't think the Talon Trot is simply his run animation or his run animation after a short period of time. Perhaps there is a way to toggle it on and off?

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how the Talon Trot works. At first I thought it kicks in after a short period of normal running, but then I noticed two things:

1) When we first see the Talon Trot, it's preceded by Banjo jumping, landing, and running for just a moment before starting the Talon Trot.
2) Later, we see Banjo running normally while carrying the beehive, and he runs at length without the Talon Trot.

In other words, we see both Banjo running normally for a period of time, and Banjo going into the Talon Trot in a -shorter- period of time.

So I don't think the Talon Trot is simply his run animation or his run animation after a short period of time. Perhaps there is a way to toggle it on and off?
I'm pretty sure the Talon Trot is his run animation. He's just walking with the beehive, not running.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, Daisy had one supporter, though with how prolific he was he might as well have been an entire rabid fanbase

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm not hallucinating this. I'm scowling the internet for a video or article on it. So don't be surprised to see a random post in the future.

The actual song that was in the files was actually a Mario & Luigi Partners in Time song, not Beware the Forest's Mushrooms. People got mixed up because of the translation. At no point has Geno ever had a presence in Smash outside of his Mii Costume and Spirit.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The real true character will be Spider-Man added solely for the endless "Marvel Vs Capcom" jokes that will appear at every Fighting Game Tournament from now til the end of time.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Daisy had one supporter, though with how prolific he was he might as well have been an entire rabid fanbase

Daisy had plenty of healthy support on social media(YouTube, Twitter, deviantart, tumblr) and smashboards during the ballot. After
Smash ultimate announcement, her detractors went full throttle and somehow convinced themselves that nobody liked her.

Also, by the time memoryman became active and started going apeshit across multiple sites(late 2015) because daisy didn't get a costume in mario maker, the ballot was already done. he definitely deterred non-obsessive supporters during ultimate speculation though.