• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
They don't care about graphics at the end of the day. They care about sales and they would never make a banjo game and not publish on the switch.
I mean... Nuts and bolts?
And given what they did with N+B I'd imagine the major limitation of the switch would be physics, not graphics.

Still a port could come eventually like Ori but I doubt it would be day and date

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
LMAO, before every E3 something pops up that makes people think a new Banjo is happening, and every E3 people end up disappointed.

Oct 25, 2017
Call me a "daft corpuscle adorning Grunty's warty derrière," but I'm completely lost on the meaning of the thread title. Nothing in the OP indicates a "Controller Holder," unless Kazooie flashing her yellow-feathered ass to a sea of watermarks is an upcoming accessory I can buy. To be quite honest, apart from human hands I have no idea what a "Controller Holder" even is.

B-K is in my top five games ever, so I welcome any and all speculation on a franchise revival... but I feel like this thread is guzzling the oil from Rusty Bucket Bay by completely ignoring whatever the hell the thread title is referring to.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Call me a "daft corpuscle adorning Grunty's warty derrière," but I'm completely lost on the meaning of the thread title. Nothing in the OP indicates a "Controller Holder," unless Kazooie flashing her yellow-feathered ass to a sea of watermarks is an upcoming accessory I can buy. To be quite honest, apart from human hands I have no idea what a "Controller Holder" even is.

B-K is in my top five games ever, so I welcome any and all speculation on a franchise revival... but I feel like this thread is guzzling the oil from Rusty Bucket Bay by completely ignoring whatever the hell the thread title is referring to.

Compare the back of that image and Banjo's hands to this (by the same company)
Crash3up.png

OP
OP
HibbySloth

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The product is apparently called "cable guys" and they hold video game controllers, phones, stuff like that.

Spyro3up_New.png

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, that makes way more sense! I'd never heard of "Exquisite Gaming" before, so I appreciate you two giving me enough Mumbo Tokens to transform into someone who now understands the topic.

- - -

Banjo-Threeie or N&B 2 would be enough to get me back on the Xbox train, but what my heart really wants this E3 is a double-whammy of Rare Replay on Switch + Banjo in Smash.

MonkeyDLenny

Apr 15, 2019
Ah, that makes way more sense! I'd never heard of "Exquisite Gaming" before, so I appreciate you two giving me enough Mumbo Tokens to transform into someone who now understands the topic.

- - -

Banjo-Threeie or N&B 2 would be enough to get me back on the Xbox train, but what my heart really wants this E3 is a double-whammy of Rare Replay on Switch + Banjo in Smash.

Well, this might be our break. This company is known for releasing these in tandem with other big releases:

Crash for the Trilogy
Spyro for Reignited
Classic Sonic for Mania
Classic Tails for Team Sonic Racing
Groot for Infinity War
Hulk, Iron Man, and Black Panther for Endgame

And so on and so forth. They even acknowledged the pattern and played coy about it.

Unreleated, but the XL models can even hold Switches! Here's hoping Banjo gets one

61F-KJvI42L.SR420,420_.jpg

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Killer Instinct, Rare Replay, and Battletoads have all come under his watch, no? Seems unfair to say he has no interest in it Rare's legacy; he just doesnt want to be bound to it. If and when Gregg Mayles decides to do another Banjo-Kazooie game, I doubt he'd be denied the chance.

Sure, they've gotten better about utilizing their IPs. I was mostly talking about how they utilize them internally. I have absolutely no issue with Rare working on new IPs. In fact, I welcome it. New stuff is exciting. My problem with today's Rare is that they don't want to do anything with their IPs themselves and seem to focus exclusively on new IP. If they don't feel like working on them at this moment in time, that's fine. Obviously they should have the freedom of working on whatever they want. It's just kinda frustrating that they're just handing out their IPs to other devs and not doing anything with them. It seems almost, dare I say, cowardly.

It almost feels like they're afraid to make a sequel and risk messing up and tainting their reputation even further. After how Perfect Dark Zero and Nuts & Bolts turned out for them, I guess we can't really blame them. But still......That way, if somebody else messes things up, they could be like "Hey, it wasn't us! It was them!" Know what I mean?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Banjo (and Rare + Microsoft) Kart game. A spiritual sequel to Diddy Kong Racing.. You know you want it!
I just finished DKR (again) with my best buddy... we grew up since day nursery and played it when we were eight. Of course we wants it! Everyone wants it!

A little bit nostalgia. I have to.
EGttr5r.jpg

5e2EK1d.jpg

uEG9mgt.jpg
I demand succession!

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They do this to us every year just before E3 with some crazy connection to a new Banjo game being imminent.

It's not happening folks :(

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope not. Switch would greatly limit what they could do with a next gen Banjo game.

I really doubt that, I love BK and BT and prefer them over Mario 64 and Sunshine. But them getting anywhere near to the Galaxies and Odyssey is a fantasy. Odyssey was a much better Threeie than both Nuts & Bolts and Yooka-Laylee.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
A remake is the only thing I can imagine and even that seems ulikely to me. (would love to be wrong tho)

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think a banjo game (new or remake) would be on Switch and ms devices. Ms knows that the main audience for banjo is on Nintendo right now. Banjo remaster and banjo in smash is my guess. Sales will be good and tooie/ new game will come

I don't think chances of that are likely, unless something insane happens like Nintendo agreed to develop the game (unlikely given they'd spend the time making odyssey 2 or a dk 64 type game instead). Or Nintendo agreed to develop some big thing for microsoft, which definitely isn't the company's MO.

I feel like people are taking too much hope from cuphead (a indie game ) and Minecraft (which has been on every platform they could get it on for the longest time) to think that Microsoft would be putting out a big budget game on switch beyond Minecraft.

Not that I'd mind since I have a switch and not an Xbox one, I just would be shocked

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think chances of that are likely, unless something insane happens like Nintendo agreed to develop the game (unlikely given they'd spend the time making odyssey 2 or a dk 64 type game instead). Or Nintendo agreed to develop some big thing for microsoft, which definitely isn't the company's MO.

I feel like people are taking too much hope from cuphead (a indie game ) and Minecraft (which has been on every platform they could get it on for the longest time) to think that Microsoft would be putting out a big budget game on switch beyond Minecraft.

Not that I'd mind since I have a switch and not an Xbox one, I just would be shocked
I don't know why you're assuming Nintendo has to do anything here. If MS wants a BK game in the switch, they'll get it,, Nintendo has to do nothing

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why you're assuming Nintendo has to do anything here. If MS wants a BK game in the switch, they'll get it,, Nintendo has to do nothing

Because bringing your big releases to other platforms makes no sense because you need them to sell your hardware?

Unless microsoft is dropping out of the hardware business, making their own machine less appealing by not making owning it a requirement for their internally developed games would be downright stupid.

Because despite how they might act publicly, Nintendo and Microsoft are in direct competition with each other. I can't think of an obvious reason Microsoft would want to release any game they developed on Switch. The only exception would be some quid pro quo agreement with Nintendo where they get something out of it too. The few million sales they might get extra at best wouldn't be worth the opportunity cost, if they got nothing else.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because bringing your big releases to other platforms makes no sense because you need them to sell your hardware?

Like unless microsoft is dropping out of the hardware business, making their own machine less appealing by not making owning it a requirement for their internally developed games would be downright stupid.
It's not like BK is a series that warrants AAA budget. Nor does BK sell systems. A switch port should at least be considered if they want to maximize the returns of this hypothetical project.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's not like BK is a series that warrants AAA budget. Nor does BK sell systems. A switch port should at least be considered if they want to maximize the returns of this hypothetical project.

This argument works for almost any game though, so I don't see what makes Banjo special there.

You can port virtually any game to more platforms and argue for a significant increase in returns, after all, more platforms = bigger audience.

For example, bayonetta 3 would probably sell more if it was on everything, but it's going to stay switch/Nintendo exclusive in all likelihood, despite starting out not on Nintendo hardware, and fulfilling your not AAA budget/ not going to sell massive amounts of hardware suggestion. And that's not even Nintendo developed. It's basically the same situation as Banjo but in reverse.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This argument works for almost any game though, so I don't see what makes Banjo special there.

You can port virtually any game to more platforms and argue for a significant increase in returns, after all, more platforms = bigger audience.

For example, bayonetta 3 would probably sell more if it was on everything, but it's going to stay switch/Nintendo exclusive in all likelihood, despite starting out not on Nintendo hardware, and fulfilling your not AAA budget/ not going to sell massive amounts of hardware suggestion. And that's not even Nintendo developed. It's basically the same situation as Banjo but in reverse.
yea it would work, but we're also living in a time where Microsoft is actually putting their games on the switch. we wouldn't be having this conversation otherwise

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Microsoft outsourced the new Battletoads to some indie studio. We haven't heard from Playtonic in a while besides the N64 tonic for Yooka Laylee. I think there's a very high possibility that Playtonic is working on a Banjo Kazooie/Tooie remake or Banjo Threeie.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I really, really hope not. They don't know how to make games anymore.
I'd hope between Playtonic's building experience by shipping their first game as a studio, and the hypothetical collaboration/guidance with Microsoft/Rare to make a revival of a certain caliber, they'd produce a higher quality game this go-around. Even without this hypothetical collab, I hope Playtonic has grown stronger!

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I think Playtonic has the pieces there to make a Banjo Three work. Yooka Laylee wasn't quite Banjo, but in my opinion it was damn close to being a good modern Rare platformer. My biggest gripes were:

1) a few of the smaller character designs (who in the HELL approved Vendi)
2) the general wonkiness of any Laylee related moves (I didn't play pre-patch so I'm sure they were worse, but the roll needing the energy gauge is dumb and the flying is a bit unintuitive)
3) the fact that the quills weren't placed logically (in BK1, the music notes were usually used to indicate an area you haven't checked yet)
4) the overabundance of "hey we're a modern video game heheheheh" humor (BK got meta about being a game but uh... not as much as YL likes to)

Otherwise, I thought it was pretty good for what it was. Most of the Pagies were fun to get, the tone of the writing was spot on, the music was great and in general I got plenty of classic Rare vibes from it. If they tightened up some of their game design philosophy (i.e. put the music notes in places where it makes sense, make the worlds smaller so you can more easily navigate them, etc.) and had a bigger team so they could really polish it, I see no reason a Banjo Three made by Playtonic wouldn't be pretty good, or at the very least, better than Nuts & Bolts.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a very high possibility that Playtonic is working on a Banjo Kazooie/Tooie remake or Banjo Threeie.
It pains me to say this but i hope not.
Playtonic ignored even their own advice and made the levels in yooka laylee stupidly big and the game was a bloated mess. It's crazy especially after saying specifically that they realise why the first banjo was the best due to a focus on smaller worlds and just about the maximum collectables , only to then go ahead and make yooka laylee a sprawling mess.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I really, really hope not. They don't know how to make games anymore.
It pains me to say this but i hope not.
Playtonic ignored even their own advice and made the levels in yooka laylee stupidly big and the game was a bloated mess. It's crazy especially after saying specifically that they realise why the first banjo was the best due to a focus on smaller worlds and just about the maximum collectables , only to then go ahead and make yooka laylee a sprawling mess.
Agreed. Yooka Laylee was a huge disappointment for me. The only good world was the first one. The level design wasn't even that amazing in World 1, but it just went to shit after that. I couldn't even complete the game because the final level felt so haphazardly sewn together. If Playtonic is making a Banjo Kazooie/ Tooie remake with 1:1 level design, it'll probably be pretty good. Yooka Laylee had good art direction. If it's Banjo Threeie, then I'll start panicking.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Banjo is over twenty years old now. It's the prime time to launch merchandise for the nostalgia crowd.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as disliked Tooie and found the original BK to be a worse version of Mario 64 in nearly every regard, i would still be really interested in this. If anything just to see what a new Banjo Kazooie would look like in a post Mario Odyssey world, as well as this many years removed from the last release. Surely there have to be a ton of interesting ideas for a sequel just begging to be realized. Oh and nobody but Rare should make this really. It wouldn't feel right without some of the original team working on a new entry. I want to see Rare's vision of what a new Banjo Kazooie should be and not some other studio that had no involvement with the earlier games.