• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My gut feeling says Banjo is coming and Playtonic is making it. Between this, Playtonic confirming they will have something new to show soon and Playtonic randomly tweeting "57" the other day (5 letters in Banjo and 7 in Kazooie), my naive brain is convinced.

EDIT: Also this...

EDIT 2: Looks like I was fooled! That "57" tweet was from their countdown to the 64 bit tonic. Ignore that part! I still trust my gut!

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
My gut feeling says Banjo is coming and Playtonic is making it. Between this, Playtonic confirming they will have something new to show soon and Playtonic randomly tweeting "57" the other day (5 letters in Banjo and 7 in Kazooie), my naive brain is convinced.
Shit you sold me. Hype!!!!!

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Thought I was going to make it through the lead up to E3 this year without getting hyped for a potential Banjo announcement... and then all of this happened. It's over now.. I've been completely Jiggified again and there's no turning back. Let's go Banjo!

Oct 25, 2017
The Jiggys are all coming together!

Banjo in Smash
Rare Replay Switch
Banjo-Threeie multiplatform release this holiday

The bear and bird are back, and I refuse to hear anything to the contrary.

GUH-HUH!

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Fair point old friend. I have to give credit to Activision for what they've done.

Now Microsoft just has to prove they care.

Microsoft never seemed to care about most of their key franchises beyond Halo/Gears/Forza...

www.windowscentral.com

Remedy: Microsoft doesn't want to make Quantum Break or Alan Wake sequels

Quantum Break and Alan Wake are two of Xbox's most under-appreciated titles, and that under-appreciation apparently includes Microsoft.

OP
OP
HibbySloth

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
HibbySloth

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hate to say it but if you want Banjo hype to turn a 180, then you give it to Playtonic.

There was waaay too much negativity from that game's release. The whole Jontron nonsense was insufferable. Expectations were way too high and the game underwhelmed many. Myself included.

Only way I could see a Playtonic Banjo game working is if they had someone else help them. Grant's not gonna take the time to revisit Banjo.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I hate to say it but if you want Banjo hype to turn a 180, then you give it to Playtonic.

There was waaay too much negativity from that game's release. The whole Jontron nonsense was insufferable. Plus expectation were way too high and the game underwhelmed many. Myself included.

Only way I could see a Playtonic Banjo game working is if they had someone else help them. Grant's not gonna take the time to revisit Banjo.

Playtonic making a new game would be a terrible idea unless we're completely sure that they've learned their lessons from Yooka Laylee and unless they staff up with major platforming talent or something.

However, Playtonic making a remake of the old games wouldn't be so bad. If they go the Spyro/Crash route, there's nothing for them to ruin and I think it would be a safe plan. Plus, I'm sure the ex-Rare folks at Playtonic would at least have the sense to respect the legacy of a character they created and do their best to do the remakes justice.

And I think I disagree about Grant. I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to compose for a Banjo game again. What gives you the impression he wouldn't? o_O

OP
OP
HibbySloth

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Playtonic making a new game would be a terrible idea unless we're completely sure that they've learned their lessons from Yooka Laylee and unless they staff up with major platforming talent or something.

However, Playtonic making a remake of the old games wouldn't be so bad. If they go the Spyro/Crash route, there's nothing for them to ruin and I think it would be a safe plan. Plus, I'm sure the ex-Rare folks at Playtonic would at least have the sense to respect the legacy of a character they created and do their best to do the remakes justice.

And I think I disagree about Grant. I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to compose for a Banjo game again. What gives you the impression he wouldn't? o_O

That I can agree with. I don't think they would mess up a remake if given the chance.

I just realized I typed out Grant and meant Gregg. I need sleep.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Team17 teased a Yooka-Laylee game will be getting announced this week, so there's no chance Playtonic is working on anything Banjo related when they've got their own original IP to promote.

As for Banjo at E3, let's face it: every year we get our hopes up over "obvious" clues and hints that Banjo-Threeie will be there and every year we end up disappointed... which is why I'm 100% CERTAIN IT'S TOTALLY HAPPENING THIS TIME! GET HYPE FOLKS!

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they would change Humba Wumba in a Tooie remake. Don't think a Native American stereotype like that would fly these days but I'm not sure.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with the headdress? I thought the problematic part was white people wearing those.
It's still attire that's considered stereotypical. Not necessarily offensive, but they might consider a redesign that reflects her Native American design inspirations in other ways.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
It's still attire that's considered stereotypical. Not necessarily offensive, but they might consider a redesign that reflects her Native American design inspirations in other ways.
I see. I know they hired a native american designer to help with one of the characters on Killer Instinct. Would be cool to see that practice more.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with the headdress? I thought the problematic part was white people wearing those.

To be frank, there's a lot that's problematic with her. The big thing is the sexualization, because first nations women are frequently victims of sexual violence, and it reinforces the very harmful idea that first nations women are sex objects before people. I don't think there's an easy way to handle her, without a complete rethink of the character.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
To be frank, there's a lot that's problematic with her. The big thing is the sexualization, because first nations women are frequently victims of sexual violence, and it reinforces the very harmful idea that first nations women are sex objects before people. I don't think there's an easy way to handle her, without a complete rethink of the character.
I didn't know about those hardships. Thank you for the information! I can see how everything summed up (sexualization, stereotypical dress, stereotypical speech in the game) can add up to something very unfortunate.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know about those hardships. Thank you for the information! I can see how everything summed up (sexualization, stereotypical dress, stereotypical speech in the game) can add up to something very unfortunate.
It's very unfortunate, and something that's in all likelihood rooted in the game's British origin, with its creators separated from the issues that Native Americans/first nations people face.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's very unfortunate, and something that's in all likelihood rooted in the game's British origin, with its creators separated from the issues that Native Americans/first nations people face.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that. Rare is too far removed from the very real problem faced by first nations people, by virtue of being British, and likely having most exposure to first nations culture through pop culture. Ideally an American company like Microsoft should be able to recognize those issues, but mainstream American and Canadian culture has a very significant blind spot when it comes to first nations people.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
giphy.gif

E3 prediction:

Phil Spencer announces the "sinister reimagining of an old friend".

Lights go down and the trailer opens to gritty, shaky camcorder footage. Heavy breathing from a clearly scared camera operator. "Is he still outside...?"

Trailer goes on to play out a horror scenario in which Banjo is terrorizing a family of real-life holidaymakers trapped in a cabin, constantly prowling outside and trying to get in. Siege scenario where he raids for food, takes away the water, forcing them to come out on scavenger missions and gradually picking them off one by one.

VR version to follow on next gen.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
There's a good chance I'll get burned for doing this to myself, but with all of these hints I can't help but get on the hype train.

I do hope if there is a new game, it's either BK1 scale levels or something in between the first two games. A lot of Tooie's worlds were too big for their own good IMO.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie remake, but it's cursed to look like one of those "Better in Unreal Engine 4!" fan projects that are ugly as sin.