• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dipper145

Oct 27, 2017
I wish my 360 still worked so I could go play this, and viva pinata. I loved those games. Never really found anything that was super similar to them, but I probably just didn't look hard enough.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
I had so much fun with Nuts and Bolts. I wish they'd polish up the Xbox One BC version, because it (like the original release) is a little frame-y in spots. Still, it's an awesome game, and I think it deserves more love than it got.
A more powerful Xbox will do the job. It should run better on the X. I haven't gotten around to try it out yet. Might do that tonight.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
When I saw that this was a touchmykatamiri thread and saw that the title wasn't in all caps, I thought he/she lost their touch. But when I read the OP, the thread was quickly redeemed. ;)

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a great game, people didn't give it a fair chance because it was not a proper BK game but a spin-off.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YOU DON'T NEED TO YELL BUT I AGREE THE GAME IS AWESOME AND IF IT DIDN'T HAVE THE BANJO KAZOOIE NAME I'M SURE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN PRETTY HIGHLY REGARDED

nuts and bolts 2 when

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
It is not what fans of the franchise were expecting though. No one asked for a banjo game that forced you to drive a cart everywhere. I am not sure why Rare thought the fans wanted that.

It is like creating a sequel to an FPS game only to get an adventure game instead. There is a reason why the game didn't do well.

For me as a fan, it is the only banjo game that I never completed, and never will.

The levels were also pretty darn empty right? How can anyone find enjoyment from that?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
THIS GAME GOT ALOT OF FLAK FOR ITS PLACE IN THE SERIES AND THE EXPECTATIONS FOR IT. ONCE YOU GET PAST ALL THAT N&B IS A GOOD GAME. IT HAS THE ART AND MUSIC YOU WOULD EXPECT FROM THE SERIES. IT STILL LOOKS GREAT TO THIS DAY.

THE VEHICLE BUILDING SYSTEM IS JUST GREAT. ITS REALLY ACCESSIBLE.

THERE ARE SOME FLAWS OF COURSE. OBJECTIVES CAN GET REPETITIVE (TOO MANY RACES). THE OPEN ENDED LEVELS DON'T SERVE A PURPOSE. ITS JUST GOING FROM POINT A TO POINT B. SOMETIMES IT FEELS LIKE YOU SPEND MORE TIME BUILDING VEHICLES THAN PLAYING THE GAME.

THE PHYSICS ARE WHAT REALLY MAKE AND BREAK THE GAME. THEY'RE EXTREMELY CARTOONY. THEY CAN ANNOYING AT TIMES. AT OTHER TIMES, THEY PRODUCE AMAZING MOMENTS.

Overall, N&B is a one of a kind game. There's really nothing like it in gaming. Its a melting pot of a bunch of random ideas. A total clusterfuck. Lets take some time to appreciate this game.
Hey OP, would you mind terribly if you turned the yelling down? It can be a bit loud and disconcerting.

Seriously though, cut the caps out.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
It might be the best banjo game.

There, I said it.

I really love that game, I wish more people saw past the fact that we got it instead of banjo threeie and would just look at it as its own thing. It's such a cool game. It really forces you to be creative and presents so many ways to complete your objectives. Building crazy vehicles and playing with physics...

I wish it ran better on the Xbox One, because I'd totally replay it in Rare Replay.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Seriously though, cut the caps out.

OP, here's a lower-case version of the original text so you don't have to re-type it:

This game got alot of flak for its place in the series and the expectations for it. Once you get past all that N&B is a good game. It has the art and music you would expect from the series. It still looks great to this day.

The vehicle building system is just great. Its really accessible.

There are some flaws of course. Objectives can get repetitive (too many races). The open ended levels don't serve a purpose. Its just going from point A to point B. Sometimes it feels like you spend more time building vehicles than playing the game.

The physics are what really make and break the game. They're extremely cartoony. They can annoying at times. At other times, they produce amazing moments.

Overall, N&B is a one of a kind game. There's really nothing like it in gaming. Its a melting pot of a bunch of random ideas. A total clusterfuck. Lets take some time to appreciate this game.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The graphics were great, the music was astonishing.

Everything else was weak. I kept trying to get out of vehicle and explore the world, quickly to find it wasn't designed for on foot exploration and grudgingly forced to return to my driver's seat. The gameplay wasn't fun. I got lost so often. It wasn't always clear if you were going into a level with the correctly designed vehicle and having to exit just to change a few parts and hoping it was right was not fun.

Everyone I knew gave up on it after a few levels because it was dull.

Even if you like the game, it should not have used the Banjo & Kazooie license, or at least it shouldn't have been the litmus test to judge how interested people were in the series since it effectively put Banjo and friends on ice.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
It was way better than I thought, ignored it for a few years after release because of the outrage and then my brother bought a copy. I actually had a lot of fun designing vehicles to take on the different objectives, made me feel smarter than I probably am lol

The world that was designed like a bubbly plant was confusing and amazing at the same time.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's essentially Rare's version Mario Artist: Polygon Studio, which was an open world game where you built crazy vehicles. For some baffling reason, people were suprised that the company that turned Conker's 12 Tales into Conker's Bad Fur Day would reveal a game and then scrap it entirely before turning it into the complete opposite of what they'd revealed. I've said this before, but I think a lot of Rare "fans" genuinely didn't understand Rare as a company, nor Rare's games.

OP
OP
out_of_touch

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
It's essentially Rare's version Mario Artist: Polygon Studio, which was an open world game where you built crazy vehicles. For some baffling reason, people were suprised that the company that turned Conker's 12 Tales into Conker's Bad Fur Day would reveal a game and then scrap it entirely before turning it into the complete opposite of what they'd revealed. I've said this before, but I think a lot of Rare "fans" genuinely didn't understand Rare as a company, nor Rare's games.
Woah never heard about Mario Artist. Good shout

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you never played or never being a fan of Banjo-Kazooie N64 games, than its right I guess.
I hated.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
It's one of the few games in existence that I actually hate. I'm angry its a thing.

I hated everything about this game besides the art and music. Game play and level design is a catastrophic mess of bad ideas.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Its actually very fun. Its just not the Banjo game people wanted or expected. Now that Im not a dumb teenagers Im not mad about it and can see what it does well.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Nuts and Bolts, strapping a spring to a chair was stupid fun. I beat N&B while I never beat the original games so it's my favorite in the series.

Raven777

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely loved this game. No it was not the Banjo sequel I wanted but I still loved the gameplay for the most part and the vehicle building.

Nov 18, 2017
I liked it, went in knowing exactly what it was & I wasn't too disappointed that it wasn't a proper Banjo sequel as I thoroughly enjoyed building vehicles. Your not wrong OP but the public have already decided that everything post-buyout will forever be trash

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Put me on team Nuts & Bolts. Banjo-Kazooie is one of my favourite series of all time but this game is just so unique and polished in most aspects, it made my 360 purchase have no regrets. Just feels so shallow to hate the game for not being another thing.

If anyone's interested in playing it multiplayer, PM me, I'm always looking to try to host it!

Deleted member 17491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally think that Rare was underrated during the 360 era. Kameo, Banjo and Viva Pinata were all good and fun games. Banjo just suffered from being different than what the market expected it to be, ie Banjo Threeie.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite Banjo game by far

Hell my favorite Rare game (except perhaps Goldeneye)

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Nuts & Bolts is a good game but not a great one. The editor was far more complex than the challenges, so it wasn't really rewarding to create all kinds of wacky contraptions when a basic plane with wheels and grenade eggs is enough to get you through a good chunk of the game. There's also not much to do in the big empty worlds (though flying through Banjoland was a truly epic experience the first time around). It's the kind of game I could easily see being amazing if they could refine the ideas in a sequel, but the problem is that nobody wants Nuts & Bolts 2 in lieu of a traditional Banjo game.

On a side note, on the Banjo-Kazooie disc in Logbox 720 it says "Will anyone remember Nuts and Bolts in a decade? Come back in 2018 and find out". I guess we did.

For some baffling reason, people were suprised that the company that turned Conker's 12 Tales into Conker's Bad Fur Day would reveal a game and then scrap it entirely before turning it into the complete opposite of what they'd revealed. I've said this before, but I think a lot of Rare "fans" genuinely didn't understand Rare as a company, nor Rare's games.

Not even similar situations. Conker was barely a series at that point and it's not like there was any shortage of that type of game at the time, so it wasn't nearly as much of a shock as when they turned Banjo-Threeie into Banjo-In-Name-Only. Conker's change was also due to actual criticism of the game being too cutesy and similar to Banjo, whereas N&B was made because they (wrongly) assumed that people didn't want another traditional 3D platformer.