• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck getting any police union to agree to anything resembling this. Hell, they don't even like the current Internal Affairs system.
The police unions are a huge problem. I'm very pro-union but police are an exception to that, mainly because police already hold so much power by virtue of their position.

I'm not even saying 'eliminate police unions', just suggesting they should be ignored when it comes to oversight of police practices.

Dec 12, 2017
The police unions are a huge problem. I'm very pro-union but police are an exception to that, mainly because police already hold so much power by virtue of their position.

I'm not even saying 'eliminate police unions', just suggesting they should be ignored when it comes to oversight of police practices.

Then they threaten to strike and officials cave. The police unions have most jurisdictions by the...well, you know the rest.

Dec 12, 2017
Yes I understand that. Basically we need politicians with enough backbone to do what is necessary regardless of police unions making a fuss.
The problem is, police (and by extension, the unions) have worked hard to cultivate massive public support for their ability to work unrestricted. Passing any legislation that adds oversight to the "angelic" police force will be met with extreme pushback.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
yysCXbT.jpg

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is, police (and by extension, the unions) have worked hard to cultivate massive public support for their ability to work unrestricted. Passing any legislation that adds oversight to the "angelic" police force will be met with extreme pushback.
There is lots of public outcry demanding changes in police behavior and more accountability. Suggesting that police have overwhelming support in this country in today's climate is inaccurate.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
It's bullshit but growing up with a conservative family it's pretty in-line with said upbringing. Keep your head down, say "Yes sir" as much as you can, and get the cop to go away as quickly as possible. Got a problem? If you're my mom, you wait for the trial date and air your grievances to the judge. If you're my dad, you just accept your lumps and go grumble about it at the bar later.

It's no wonder we have cops that act like they're above the law when we as a society go out of our way to treat them as such.

Gluka

Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful how the dogwhistling law and order rhetoric is spewing from a fat toady who has spent his entire career shielding the rich and powerful from anything even remotely resembling justice.

Conservatism is about creating in-groups for which the law protects but does not bind and out-groups for which it binds but does not protect indeed.

Dec 12, 2017
There is lots of public outcry demanding changes in police behavior and more accountability. Suggesting that police have overwhelming support in this country in today's climate is inaccurate.
I live in a blue state and you'd be surprised how many "thin Blue line" flag stickers I see on other cars while out and about on a daily.

People who are outraged by police incidents tend to still support police when push comes to shove.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't give a fuck what his opinions are. What are our legal rights in any given situation? That's what we should know and the police should respect.

I mean I chill out when I'm around cops and I'm not one to scream "I KNOW MY RIGHTS MAAAAAAN!" but there's a time and a place to really know and utilize your rights regardless of what a police officer thinks.

Sad thing is "resisting" is so flexible for them. One word of sass? Resisting.