• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
What are the odds Apple would at least help Nintendo sort out their online stuff? If there is a greater than zero chance I'm kinda for it.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
According to this article? Apparently play legacy Nintendo games through emulators on Apple hardware.

Aaaaaaaand that's pretty much it.

Not that it would happen, but using the Nintendo IPs for their new streaming service would have been smart to put in this article. Not only was the idea of the article dumb, but honestly lazy.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
No.
They should buy Disney instead.
Or buy the united states.
Or maybe the moon.

Edit : doesn't Nintendo own themselves enough shares to prevent a hostile takeover ?

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's franchises would be a pretty good fit for Apple, and Nintendo could certainly benefit from Apple's experience with software and services. But Apple is Tim-the-tool-man-Taylor-horny for power and charges a premium for it, which brings us to the fact that the two companies have deeply established cultures that would likely clash (to put it mildly)...

I would be genuinely interested to see what would come of it though. Fun to think about either way

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
What a fresh take, I don't know how many of these Apple buying Nintendo ideas I've seen in the past 15 years.

Oct 29, 2017
So, clickbait article aside... it kind of makes sense. It's not going to happen. But it makes sense.

Apple for some time now has been rumored to be doing something game related more-so than having game ready hardware in the Apple TV, and offering a way to easily link a 3rd party controller up (you can do this and play thatgamecompany's new game that way, as well as Octodad and many other ports to tvOS). Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb Dot Com fame has brought up a few times on the Bombcast in the last few years times in which developers have come up to him, and in hushed tones mentioned the controller that Apple is working on, and has apparently thrown out a few times. So far this controller seems to have been scrapped a number of times, and MacRumors reported on a theoretical Apple Controller as far back as 2013.

Not to mention the recent restructuring of the App Store to fully seperate and showcase Games above all other apps, as games are the biggest draw to the app store. They have an editorial team working on showcasing the best new mobile games in the storefront with writeups, interviews with developers, and blurbs for most of the top grossing/downloaded games.

And their existing partnership with Nintendo with most of the Nintendo phone games launching first for Apple devices.

It wouldn't line up with their other recent aquisitions, however, as Apple seems full steam ahead on AR devices and optics, possibly aiming at Smart Glasses.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be funny to watch the hardcore Nintendo fanatics to lose their minds over this, so much so I hope this happens!

It always bring an smile to my face when its brought (unironically) the idea that someone should buy Nintendo (or that Nintendo will be put on Sale on 1st Place)
Nintendo is a publicly traded company, Apple would just need to purchase 51% of their shares. There is no put on sale about it, as their equity/ownership is essentially always for sale.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo just found success making a practical electronic device that's reasonably priced for what it offers. Cupertino wants no part of that.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
This would make the AOL Time Warner merger look like a well-orchestrated and thoughtful strategy decision orchestrated by competent leaders.

Oct 27, 2017
If someone is interested in buying you out, it means you are doing something right. I say Nintendo should continue to grow, accumulate power, find this investor and buy their business to teach them a lesson.

OP
OP
Pablo Mesa

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Nintendo is a publicly traded company, Apple would just need to purchase 51% of their shares. There is no put on sale about it, as their equity/ownership is essentially always for sale.
there are many laws in place among countries to avoid this scenario, if "just buy their stocks" were an absolute rule, we would be ruled by a single monopoly already.
but lets say in theory is possible just by buying that 51%.
One of the reason Nintendo keeps theirs Treasure Chest is to be able to buy enough stocks to to make it impossible for a single entity to own 51% of the company's stocks

Cookie Dough

Oct 29, 2017
I've read fan fiction that seemed more rooted in reality than this. In no way, shape, or form do any of Apple's problems stem from a lack of content.

Why are we even giving such obvious click bait this attention anyway. Paid talking heads are always thinking out loud derp derp Apple should buy _____!

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
They could if they wanted to, no one here should fool themselves into thinking otherwise.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Besides the fact that Nintendo would never be for sale, I fail to see the synergy beyond some exclusive phone games with Mario's face on them. Not really gonna sell many iPhones.

If there's any U.S. company that would gain from purchasing Nintendo's characters, it's Disney.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Besides the fact that Nintendo would never be for sale, I fail to see the synergy beyond some exclusive phone games with Mario's face on them. Not really gonna sell many iPhones.

If there's any U.S. company that would gain from purchasing Nintendo's characters, it's Disney.
Disney is the event horizon. No one should want to be there at the point of no return.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I thought I once heard that Nintendo is considered a Japanese Cultural Heritage type thing, so there is no way for anyone to actually buy the company. Something like trying to buy Himeji Castle, it just couldn't happen.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
there are many laws in place among countries to avoid this scenario, if "just buy their stocks" were an absolute rule, we would be ruled by a single monopoly already.
but lets say in theory is possible just by buying that 51%.
One of the reason Nintendo keeps theirs Treasure Chest is to be able to buy enough stocks to to make it impossible for a single entity to own 51% of the company's stocks
Nintendo does not have enough cash on hand to prevent a hostile takeover through stock buybacks.

But legally, it would be almost impossible for that to happen anyway.

firstadopter

Oct 25, 2017
Disney buying Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm (Star Wars) is a good corollary too.

Disney was able to leverage the great content, intellectual properties across it's vast distribution capabilities, inscrease sales and
profits tremendously.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoever buys Nintendo might actually result in some proper online Infrastructure or at the very least the ability to actually message my friends.

firstadopter

Oct 25, 2017
I truly believe Apple purchasing or entering a strategic partnership with Nintendo would be a great move for Apple. Nintendo is extremely profitable and has some of best sustainable game franchises that can be monetized for future services offerings.

Compared to other potential targets, Nintendo is also reasonably priced.

Disclosure: I wrote the column in OP.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Of course Apple will buy Nintendo. This is so likely to happen just as one could say it's likely that Steve Jobs was never a disgustingly cold hearted dead beat dad, never deliberately parked in handicapped spots on a constant basis, didn't cheat Steve Wozniak out of the profits from the Atari Breakout port and didn't like soaking his feet in toilets.

Last edited:

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
If somebody would buy nintendo it would be softbank, but even then its a huge stretch. People saying apple "just can do it" probably think you can just up and buy everything when you are big, hostile takeovers aint easy and companies have ways to make it really hard and in some cases(like this one) the law adds an extra hurdle.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria

It always bring an smile to my face when its brought (unironically) the idea that someone should buy Nintendo (or that Nintendo will be put on Sale on 1st Place)

This man or product/company sickens me to the core. For being incredibly stupid by assuming Nintendo would be something you can buy and also for suggesting a multi-billion greed company that loves to rip off its customers should be the one.

At that point you could also suggest EA to buy Nintendo...

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's stupid but at the same time kinda not considering a corporate dystopia 20+ years from now where apple/google/amazon gobble up everything and gaming hardware is nowhere near as important