• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Man that was brutal. Really well done and executed, no pun intended.

I didn't love the pilot, it felt a bit messy. Does the show pull itself together?
I was hooked from the very first episode but I feel the story beats have had a good progression . Try watching the next episode at least.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't love the pilot, it felt a bit messy. Does the show pull itself together?
I didn't like the pilot much, and after watching all the episodes up until this recent one, I still think the show is finding its groove. Each episode has a lot of enjoyable sequences and moments, but they never manage to add up to something greater. At least for me.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Just got done with the latest episode. Holy fucking shit. That's an all-timer, no question. Hader owned it and now I'm all fucked up. I love that he now has to really reckon with who he is and what he's done and whether he can ever come back from that. Like that scene where he's just imagining everything is so brilliantly edited.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
NoHo Hank has got to be the best new character of the year.
NuZMMeD.jpg

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
So glad this is getting a second season, I'm not ready for this show to end. Hader is an Emmy frontrunner this year.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
That was easily one of the very best episodes of television in ages. Really, really great stuff.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had to take off from work today due to being sick and decided to start this.

Watched all 7 episodes. Shit is brilliant, especially last night's.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Damn this last episode got fucking real.

This show has given me a ton of respect for Hader. I don't know another actor that could pull that character off.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Could you clarify a bit? How realistic of a portrayal was this of someone who never left the warzone jarhead mindset?

Obviously the voicemail messages were for jokes but I'm curious how the rest of the character landed for you as a vet.

Sorry I missed your reply
I didn't know anyone just like him but there were a lot of people who seemed to love the military lifestyle that the character reminded me of. Talking about guns, videos of shit getting blown up, military cringe tattoos, every other word being "fuckin..." It was always the guys who had firearms related job on the ship.

I wasn't in the marine corps but these kinds of dudes are in every branch.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Fucking hell this show is good. It balances the humour and darkness so well that it doesn't feel disjointed. This week's episode was so heavy, the car scene hit me so hard. The guy who played Chris did an excellent job at showing his trauma and breakdown and the build up of tension was so gruelling. I don't get why more people aren't talking about this show.

As someone who did drama class through high school I can say that they nailed Sally's character. It always cracks me up how similar she is to so many people I knew in the theatre scene

B3N1

Oct 27, 2017
I love what they're doing with the gun effects/choreography on the show. It has no business of being this good, for a series where opposing crimelords spend (supposedly) 10 minutes discussing self-help books. The pilot's shootout, where Barry emptied the pistol into the Chechens' car fully sold me on him being a pro hitman. When a gun gets fired, people die here, it's so refreshing to see, especially after stuff like the new Strike Back. So far, every gunfight felt short, dangerous and scary.

Though I find the acting school arc the weakest, Barry revealing all his pain and secrets making him fall upwards didn't get old yet. I enjoy Winkler's character as well, and we get stuff like the car scene.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
That scene (and the follow up scene in the play) took an already excellent show to another level.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I knew where THAT scene was heading and yet it still got to me. This would've also been a good season finale, but I'm still looking forward to next week's episode.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm suprised how much I like this show, a lot of genuine laugh-out-loud moments. I really like how all the actor characters are deadpan and the cartel characters are silly.

That made me laugh out loud because I have a buddy that made one of those studic avatars of himself (it looks accurate, too!), and has been sending stupid messages like that for the last several months.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I've been enjoying this one, that car scene was great. There were any number of opportunities to cut that scene short but they just kept going. So good.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Holy fuck, Episode 7 was fucking dark. Went from tragicomedy to just fucking tragedy.

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
Nothing new to add, but I still have to say, my god, that was an amazing 30 minutes of TV. THAT scene was intense and sublime.

Hank is the best. And Hader is a genius.

PorkandBeans

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Meh, it's gotten a little better but it's really not clicking with me either. I think the show just ended up being different than I expected/wanted it to be which is my fault. I wish it would've been more of a dark comedy revolving around the messed up and funny stuff that happens to him during hits and that the whole acting thing would just be more of a side story that would eventually help him out in scenarios during hits where he gets made or runs into trouble. instead the hitman part of it seems to be slipping away more and more every episode.

I'd put it on the same tier as Ballers. I'm not clamoring to see the next episode but I still follow it because why not.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just caught up and this show took it to an entirely new level last episode. Hader is fantastic.

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, it's gotten a little better but it's really not clicking with me either. I think the show just ended up being different than I expected/wanted it to be which is my fault. I wish it would've been more of a dark comedy revolving around the messed up and funny stuff that happens to him during hits and that the whole acting thing would just be more of a side story that would eventually help him out in scenarios during hits where he gets made or runs into trouble. instead the hitman part of it seems to be slipping away more and more every episode.

I'd put it on the same tier as Ballers. I'm not clamoring to see the next episode but I still follow it because why not.

Lol ballers and this are not even remotely close

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio

As someone who has watched every episode of Ballers, its quality is not even in the same ballpark as Barry.

Ballers is, as you stated, a "why not" show that I usually just have on as background viewing.

Barry, through 7 episodes, has several brilliant moments/episodes with great performances and quality directing to boot.

You said it's your fault that you let your presumptions cloud your judgement, yet at the same time you denigrate the show as mediocre.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just got caught up, man this show is great. Love how the villains are super likeable, a lot more so than most of the supporting cast. Excited to see where they take this. I've always loved Stephen Root and Henry Winkler and pairing them up with Bill Hader has been excellent so far. Episodes 5, 6 and especially 7 were just fantastic. Really nice seeing Hiro Murai direct a couple of episodes too.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Man I watched the pilot and love this thing. The tone and writing is perfect. I had no ideal Bill Hader was directing and really only was watching for the Hiro Murai episode.