• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I tried taking my time watching season 1. I was doing so good at watching one episode a day until today when I watched 5 through 8 in one sitting. It got so good, and I'm glad they've at least won one of the Emmys they were nominated for! I hope they win more on Monday because the cast and crew absolutely deserve it.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sorry for the necro, I didn't see a point in creating a new thread since the new season doesn't start for a while.

I am five episodes in and I don't get why he is so

hung up on Sally. She's wholly unlikeable, self absorbed, judgemental. She's just awful, and aside from being an assassin, Barry seems pretty OK. I don't get it.

Aside from that it's hilarious. I love this style of humor. Taylor is the best.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am five episodes in and I don't get why he is so

hung up on Sally. She's wholly unlikeable, self absorbed, judgemental. She's just awful, and aside from being an assassin, Barry seems pretty OK. I don't get it.

Aside from that it's hilarious. I love this style of humor. Taylor is the best.

Decent looking + proximity = love

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am five episodes in and I don't get why he is so hung up on Sally. She's wholly unlikeable, self absorbed, judgemental. She's just awful, and aside from being an assassin, Barry seems pretty OK. I don't get it.

Oh god is this the fucking Skylar thing all over again?

I liked the season overall, even if at times it feels like a competent rethread of other popular anti-hero shows, just with the acting gimmick bolted on.

edit: Oops, sorry for the necrobump. This was the latest thread posted and I didn't check the date.

Last edited:

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skylar got shit for acting like a normal person while Sally is written to be a really godawful person. Even characters in the show don't like her.

She's in a comedy show, she's written more for laughs than Skylar. If anything, the fact that the classmates didn't shun Barry after his violent outburst during the party, and took his side against her afterwards, reflects badly on them.

ALSO HE'S A MURDERER

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
She's in a comedy show, she's written more for laughs than Skylar. If anything, the fact that the classmates didn't shun Barry after his violent outburst during the party, and took his side against her afterwards, reflects badly on them.
She treats that one girl like shit constantly. She's very obviously written to be a shitty friend, I mean, it's also written to be funny but it's not like people calling out her shiftiness is a Skylar situation. Skylar wasn't shitty, Sally is.

The actress even talked about her character's unlikability.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She treats that one girl like shit constantly. She's very obviously written to be a shitty friend, I mean, it's also written to be funny but it's not like people calling out her shiftiness is a Skylar situation. Skylar wasn't shitty, Sally is.

I mean, it's a gag, Janet from the Good Place is some kind of shadow-friend. It's not like she mistreats her, and it's not her fault Pinocchio wouldn't smash.
She's portrayed as self-absorbed, like every single one of the aspiring actors in the show (including Winkler).

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's a gag, Janet from the Good Place is some kind of shadow-friend. It's not like she mistreats her, and it's not her fault Pinocchio wouldn't smash.
She's portrayed as self-absorbed, like every single one of the aspiring actors in the show (including Winkler).
Yeah and the gag is that she's shitty to her.

Again, even the actress knows that Sally is shitty. It's written that way on purpose, it's what makes her character interesting. Trying to make it seem like she's not shitty is like trying to say Barry isn't fucked up.

This show has a lot of shitty people, she's one of them.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and the gag is that she's shitty to her.

Again, even the actress knows that Sally is shitty. It's written that way on purpose, it's what makes her character interesting.

She knows that she's the best in the class and she doesn't try to hide it, I don't think it's particularly shitty. She's also very forgiving and empathetic with Barry (when he really doesn't deserve it, even discounting the fact he's a psychopathic murderer) and is treated like shit and/or slutshamed by pretty much every male character save for Winkler.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
She knows that she's the best in the class and she doesn't try to hide it, I don't think it's particularly shitty. She's also very forgiving and empathetic with Barry (when he really doesn't deserve it, even discounting the fact he's a murderer) and is treated like shit and/or slutshamed by pretty much every male character save for Winkler.
Ok.

None of that changes that she's written to not be all that likeable which is why the actress was gravitated to this character.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok.

None of that changes that she's written to not be all that likeable which is why the actress was gravitated to this character.

It's a comedy, no one is particularly likeable. Plus asking why your favorite serial killer sticks with his bitchy girlfriend will never not be weird.

Here's Bill Hader on this exact topic:
Yeah, a little while back I wrote this essay on the idea of the ingenue, this kind of role that no young female actor can avoid.

That was a thing when we showed Barry to a bunch of people and said, "Do you guys have any notes or anything in the first four episodes?" And a guy said, "I just find Sally so unlikable, she's just such an unlikable character. She's so mean." And Emily Heller, one of our writers, went, "Barry kills people!" It's the Breaking Bad thing. No one likes Skylar, and she's dealing with a baby and a special-needs child, her husband's lying to her, and he's off becoming a drug lord.

But fuck her.

But fuck her. That makes no sense to me!

https://www.villagevoice.com/2018/0...russians-and-learning-to-write-on-south-park/

Last edited:

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Sally needed to be just barely out there enough to fall for someone like Barry.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Ok.

I completely agree with your assessment of Sally. To even draw a comparison of her to Skylar is fucking bonkers.

Everyone knows there's only one likable character in this show and his name does bear a resemblance to BB.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Oh god is this the fucking Skylar thing all over again?

I liked the season overall, even if at times it feels like a competent rethread of other popular anti-hero shows, just with the acting gimmick bolted on.

edit: Oops, sorry for the necrobump. This was the latest thread posted and I didn't check the date.

I doubt the necro is a problem, it's the only thread for the show, there isn't a new season yet, in the world of streaming media what are we going to create a brand new thread every time someone discovers a new a show a month after the last post was made?

The actress even talked about her character's unlikability.

Yea, she's basically one of the leads of Difficult People, only not in an absurdist way. She's just a piece of a shit.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
JUst binged this over the last day and a half or so. Wow... so good, telling everyone I know about this show

Oct 25, 2017
I came in late to the show long after it aired but I'm curious what people thought about the ending? I was not too hot about it for a variety of reasons but one of the big things was I felt the show left off on kind of a weird place. A little too cleanly resolved.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I came in late to the show long after it aired but I'm curious what people thought about the ending? I was not too hot about it for a variety of reasons but one of the big things was I felt the show left off on kind of a weird place. A little too cleanly resolved.
That's interesting. Clean is the last world I'd use to describe the ending lol. I loved it and thought it would have made a perfect one season show but am interested how they write themselves out of this corner for season 2.

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
That's interesting. Clean is the last world I'd use to describe the ending lol. I loved it and thought it would have made a perfect one season show but am interested how they write themselves out of this corner for season 2.

I have a hard time believing you go into something like Barry without some idea of what you're going to do for round 2, but I might be wrong.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hated everything about the time jump. Not a fan of Barry getting with the actress or of the detective being killed. That combo rubbed me the wrong way.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time believing you go into something like Barry without some idea of what you're going to do for round 2, but I might be wrong.
Really depends. Vince Gilligan's writers room famously liked to write themselves into corners and figure it out during the off season. I'm sure they have an outline but I doubt everything was planned out from day one.

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hated everything about the time jump. Not a fan of Barry getting with the actress or of the detective being killed. That combo rubbed me the wrong way.

Same. I'm really hoping that since they didn't kill her on screen there will be shinanegans and she'll still be around but not holding out much hope.

I meant clean in the sense that, you're right, it is a perfect one season show. They didn't leave a lot of plot threads that really needed to go any further. If it had not gotten a season 2 I would have been pretty content actually, no lingering questions I need answered.

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.webp

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope D'arcy Carden has a bigger role in Season 2. It would be great to see her during the time Good Place isn't airing.

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
I can't tell you how many times I've watched the whole thing, but I watched the last two episodes last night, and...jeebus, just perfection.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I actually grew up and went to school with the actor who plays Noho Hank - knew him fairly well.

I'm not sure why I never followed through watching the whole series after enjoying the first couple episodes. Need to catch up in March.

Last edited: