• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Barry - Bill Hader in a dark comedy about a hitman - S2 - HBO Sundays

Oct 25, 2017
That was the best episode of the show, and the best thing to air on HBO yesterday period. Could not stop laughing for 30 minutes straight.

RatskyWatsky

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The absurdity in that scene comes from Sally whom is so out of touch with reality, she didn't even notice her boyfriend running out of the apartment with a handgun not to mention she was on face cam with the laptap facing the door lol

I understand the feral girl was a bit much but this show has already dabbled with dream like sequences and weirdness, especially after the end of S1. This episode felt very much like Twin Peaks Season 3 and I love it for that.
The show has definitely always had a silly streak, it is a dramedy after all, but what we saw last night kicked it up to a whole other level.

it was like if Pine Barrens somehow got mixed up in the editing room with The Test Dream and wound up being as jarring as that combination sounds.
Exactly!

The trailer for next week showed Fuches with the wound still on his cheek, so that isn't likely.
Bleh

Oct 28, 2017
California
Absolutely. Check out Vice Principals too if you haven’t already and like dark comedies. Probably the best series HBO has had in recent years.
Just got done watching the first two episodes and it's fucking great. Noho Hank kept cracking me up lmao. I'll check out Vice Principals when I get the chance, thanks for the rec.

Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Oh shit I just realized lily was the name of the feral mongoose.

I hope this episode wins an Oscar or w/e it was an amazing episode.

Edit Stephen Root is so great. I’m so glad he is in this.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Best episode ever. My wife and I just laughed for a half hour straight. When Barry is trying to talk to the barely alive victim in the store and he says “Come on, don’t be an asshole.”

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Barry still casually talking it up with the guy whose wind pipe he broke and whose daughter he was just chasing around as if he'd be cool was peak Barry. Celine Dion in the background also made it. Honestly I can't get over how incredible that episode was from start to finish

Oct 26, 2017
That song is peak Contemporary Easy Listening. Having that softly playing under a hail of police gunfire is just...*chef's kiss*

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The show has always managed to ground its silliness within a quasi believable reality, but that was entirely too stupid for me to take seriously. Hoping next week reveals it was all a dream or something.
I don't think it's how it was written, but I read the surreal nature of the episode after the first fight as Barry's skewed interpretation of things after a couple huge blows to the head.

Oct 25, 2017
Popping in to say the last episode was brilliant and among the best episodes of any tv show. the sound design of every strike, getting a real fighter to play that role made a difference. The long take, the direction in general. Just an amazing episode.

Oct 25, 2017
I just look at it: Barry (the character) did something interesting for once.

(I’ve had a hard time caring about Barry the character for most of this series. I mostly come back solely for Noho Hank.)

Oct 25, 2017
That episode was wild. Loved it. I'd be fully on board if it did go supernatural with the little girl, even though I don't think that's where it's going.

Loved Hader's delivery on "she's not of this world!".

Legitimately bummed that the detective is gone, he was fun. But was probably necessary to add new foils for Barry.

Oct 25, 2017
Man that was great. The plot of the episode reminded me of Pine Barrens a bit with some absurd shit thrown on top of it.

RatskyWatsky

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's how it was written, but I read the surreal nature of the episode after the first fight as Barry's skewed interpretation of things after a couple huge blows to the head.
I was thinking that too at first, but Fuches was reacting similarly so I took everything at face value.

Oct 26, 2017
If Fuches theoretically never mentions the girl being a weird feral monster again, Ratsky, could it be taken more as a fevered experience that also just happened to have him bitten on the cheek in a way?