• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
V5ig7lV.jpg

Barry returns for Season 2 this Sunday, March 31st on HBO. The second season will consist of 8 episodes.

Videos:

Reviews:
EW said:
Season 2 remains tricky TV, juggling out-loud laughs with raw human embarrassment and an expanding universe of SoCal skulduggery. Grade: B+
Decider said:
What Barry, returning to HBO this Sunday night, pulls off for its second season is just on another level of greatness. Because it turns out the first season, which balanced darkness (like, deaths) and comedy (like, really funny), wasn't just a fluke. Creator (along with Alec Berg) and star Bill Hader has figured out the formula, bottled it up, and unleashed it all on us once again for a brilliant sophomore season.
THR said:
Through its first three episodes of the season, Barry has simply become a half-hour drama, albeit one with occasional snarky jabs at the entertainment industry and a Chechen mobster with alopecia, but a drama nonetheless. I miss the punchlines, while finding plenty to admire in the show's not-totally-new incarnation.
Vanity Fair said:
In its second year, Bill Hader's Emmy-winning comedy manages to keep up the first season's thrilling pace.
Washington Post said:
In its second year, Bill Hader's Emmy-winning comedy manages to keep up the first season's thrilling pace.
Collider said:
Everything about the series is so carefully crafted, though, that even its smallest moments are pure joy (most especially when it riffs on cut-rate movies and TV series in the roles Sally and others get). But there is never a danger of superficiality, even when a recurring theme is how Barry is able to achieve this duel life largely because the people around him are so self-absorbed.
Indiewire said:
The darkness and light play perfectly off each other, creating yet another fascinating and hilarious season, and one determined to be true to its own twisted identity.
NY Magazine said:
Barry, like the series that shares his name, is still in a dark place this season. While the wannabe actor might not want to hear this, that's a place that suits him, and Barry, just perfectly.
Sepinwall said:
Individual moments are still often strong, even if the pieces don't fit together as neatly as before.

barry-season-2-poster.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see what the show looks like since it seems as though they've ditched most of the comedy, though I imagine it won't stay a drama for the whole season.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Damn watch weekly or wait for the full season to binge 🤔

I did the binge option and it got overwhelming and then my friends account expired the night I was gonna watch the season finale 😂

So I got my own account and finished the show and damn, this is my favorite HBO series next to Curb.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
HBO needs to catch up with the times and just release shit when it's finished. They'll never beat Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, whatever, with this dated model.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished season 1. It was an emotional roller coaster. Probably one of the better shows on tv

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Season premiere tonight:
The Show Must Go On, Probably?

Barry (Bill Hader) tries to convince Sally (Sarah Goldberg) and the rest of the class to go ahead with a performance, despite the absence of teacher Gene Cousineau (Henry Winkler), who's grief-stricken after the disappearance of Detective Moss. With Goran gone, Noho Hank (Anthony Carrigan) and Cristobal's (Michael Irby) new partnership faces growing pains and jealousy issues. Back in Cleveland, Fuches (Stephen Root) learns that replacement hitmen don't come easy.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
HBO needs to catch up with the times and just release shit when it's finished. They'll never beat Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, whatever, with this dated model.
Not sure that's entirely true. A lot of people appreciate not having pressure to binge an entire season in a weekend to keep up with the conversation or avoid being spoiled. Especially those with young kids, myself included.

There's definitely merit to both approaches but I don't think if they dropped the entire final season of GoT at once it would generate as much buzz as having one definitive finale on a single night.

I'm looking forward to this for sure though. The first season got way darker than I thought it would and really made me feel for Barry even though I shouldn't. Always down for more Henry Winkler and D'Arcy "not a girl" Carden.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely merit to both approaches but I don't think if they dropped the entire final season of GoT at once it would generate as much buzz as having one definitive finale on a single night.

The idea of the final season of GoT being just dumped online to binge disgusts me lol

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
In for more Hank, is he returning?

giphy.gif

Of course NoHo Hank is back. They were actually supposed to kill off his character in the first episode (when he attacks the guys in the car) but because the actor that plays him made the character so funny they were like "we can't do that" so instead he just shows up in the next episode with his arm in a sling instead of being dead like originally planned.
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/barry-almost-killed-noho-hank-bill-hader-1202054680/

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Of course NoHo Hank is back. They were actually supposed to kill off his character in the first episode (when he attacks the guys in the car) but because the actor that plays him made the character so funny they were like "we can't do that" so instead he just shows up in the next episode with his arm in a sling instead of being dead like originally planned.
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/barry-almost-killed-noho-hank-bill-hader-1202054680/

Fantastic, he was one of the best characters.

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Is anyone else put off by Russian/Slavic thugs talking in English to each other? I know, I know, it's not supposed to be realistic but it immediately takes me out of the scene.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
scene where he popped those guys in the car was one of the coolest kill scenes of last year tbh

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad we finally saw intimidating NoHo Hank. Was worried they were veering too far into comedy with him during the first half, but the turn he took at the end was great. The music he was listening to when he drove away was perfect too

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fun episode. Interested in finding out if Janice is really dead or not. Seemed like a foregone conclusion after last season, but the show does seem to be hinting that she might still be alive somewhere.

And how dare Barry hurt Noho Hank's feelings. Bros before shows Barry, bros before shows...

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
This show is hella interesting to me as I think Barry is a piece of shit but I still feel for him. Gene making him relive his first kills as a weird fucking acting excercise was kind of cruel. Why would you do that to a vet? Granted we know Barry's a murderer but Gene doesn't know that.

But then Barry fucks around and disses Noho Hank, the guy who helped save him. So noho went gangster on him. And Barry is sitting there looking all fucking surprised and shit.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the music in Hank's car after he went all hard ass on Barry was hilarious

flashback scene was really good

Winkler killed it as always

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the fuches scenes were really good too. not looking great for fuches at this point.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wait, did fuches give Cleveland PD his DNA on purpose? I thought he was just being stupid and it was a cheeky scene. does he want to take Barry down with him?

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Just found out Hank's actor is actually from Massachusetts. Wouldn't have guessed that, very convincing accent.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Just found out Hank's actor is actually from Massachusetts. Wouldn't have guessed that, very convincing accent.

I actually went to high school with him and knew him fairly well. Awesome to see him breaking out like this. The actor (Anthony Carrigan) actually has alopecia, and seems to have been cast a few times in villain roles. Nice to see him both embrace it and expand on it, if that makes any sense.

I finally caught up on last season and am pumped to watch last night's episode.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I actually went to high school with him and knew him fairly well. Awesome to see him breaking out like this. The actor (Anthony Carrigan) actually has alopecia, and seems to have been cast a few times in villain roles. Nice to see him both embrace it and expand on it, if that makes any sense.

I finally caught up on last season and am pumped to watch last night's episode.
That's really cool. My claim to fame like that is much lamer.. Michael Rosenbaum went to my high school, but graduated like 15 years before me.

Also, see you in the playoffs. ;)

Back on topic - I do feel like Barry will escape any more actual scrutiny from the cops. There won't enough evidence to nab him for anything. But man, it's been a while since a show made me feel this conflicted about a character. I think back to Breaking Bad, and there was questioning who Walt really was. He was an asshole IMO. Barry is obviously a murderer, but it's deeper than that given potential PTSD and what not as shown in the flashback scene in the first episode.

It's doing what Dexter tried to do but ended up failing.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's really cool. My claim to fame like that is much lamer.. Michael Rosenbaum went to my high school, but graduated like 15 years before me.

Also, see you in the playoffs. ;)

Back on topic - I do feel like Barry will escape any more actual scrutiny from the cops. There won't enough evidence to nab him for anything. But man, it's been a while since a show made me feel this conflicted about a character. I think back to Breaking Bad, and there was questioning who Walt really was. He was an asshole IMO. Barry is obviously a murderer, but it's deeper than that given potential PTSD and what not as shown in the flashback scene in the first episode.

It's doing what Dexter tried to do but ended up failing.

It's hard to root for him though as they already bit the bullet on him killing more than "bad people". He has killed multiple good people not in self defense but so he didn't get caught. I loved season 1 but in thinking about Barry's character arc I wonder if saving those kind of kills for later may have been better as I dont know what you really can do.