• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Love this show.
That last ep was WILD.
The girl doesn't speak much at all though, so I am excited she might be on the spectrum so is a martial arts savant. lol

Jan 15, 2018
Definitely the best episode so far of the series, watching Barry trying and failing at every turn to talk his way out of things was hilarious.

The episode so effortlessly moved between genres while keeping its funny core, the action scenes were excellently choreographed to boot. I feel like that's been a constant, pretty much all the action scenes in the first season were extremely well done too.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Hey TheSkullPrince here's a corrected avatar for you. 400x400 as the site asks.

4VKCLGy.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this thread EXPLODED after that last episode. Glad to see it's building a proper following

What an episode! Wow.
"He's dead."
New loose ends are the little girl and cameras in the grocery store.
They'll be looking for a guy with a ginger goatee!

The fights in the grocery store with the soft rock playing in the background was great dark comedy. Love this show.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I'm glad one of the characters uttered WTF during a scene in the last episode. My exact expression while watching the episode.

I really did expect Barry to be telling some crazy story or dreaming. But I guess it really happened and we just go with the hyper surreal nature of it, Tae Kwon Do girl and all.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I was watching ep 4, and thinking "this show is kind of getting away from itself". I was bored. Then it ended in a way to get things right back on track. So far ep 5 is back in form.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
The show has always managed to ground its silliness within a quasi believable reality, but that was entirely too stupid for me to take seriously. Hoping next week reveals it was all a dream or something.

It was amusing in a "what the fuck am I watching" kind of way, but no it wasn't grounded in the established reality at all. That little girl was a feral ninja with supernatural abilities for fuck's sake and her dad was the Terminator.

Yeah, I realize I'm in the minority here, but this episode was a big "What the hell?" for me that, while fascinating and impressive in certain ways, I didn't totally like as an episode of Barry, a show I very much enjoy. I'd probably be more ok with it if it was just a silly, experimental one-off and Barry woke up at the end or something, but it seems everything we were shown actually happened? Given how over-the-top ridiculous and divorced from reality many of the events and character actions were, I'm not sure I'll be able to take anything in this show as seriously or be as invested going forward. Which is a mild bummer given once upon a time (in season 1) this was a show that deftly balanced laugh-out-loud comedy with incredibly weighty/impactful moments and situations in a way I loved.

I don't think it's how it was written, but I read the surreal nature of the episode after the first fight as Barry's skewed interpretation of things after a couple huge blows to the head.

Kind of would have preferred that, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Shame on me for waiting so long to watch this episode. Been too long since I laughed this hard.

Hundred times better than that GoT episode.

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
Just started watching this show last night. Thought I'd just watch the pilot, but ended up burning through three episodes in a row. Noho Hank is a goddamn gem.

Also, man, the struggling-actor deep cuts. All of them. All the time.

Hank is the whole reason to watch the show. Well, that and everything else.

Just watched S1 with my son for I don't know the Nth time...

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I realize I'm in the minority here, but this episode was a big "What the hell?" for me that, while fascinating and impressive in certain ways, I didn't totally like as an episode of Barry, a show I very much enjoy. I'd probably be more ok with it if it was just a silly, experimental one-off and Barry woke up at the end or something, but it seems everything we were shown actually happened? Given how over-the-top ridiculous and divorced from reality many of the events and character actions were, I'm not sure I'll be able to take anything in this show as seriously or be as invested going forward. Which is a mild bummer given once upon a time (in season 1) this was a show that deftly balanced laugh-out-loud comedy with incredibly weighty/impactful moments and situations in a way I loved.

Kind of would have preferred that, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You know, it was very entertaining but I kind of agree. It's always had a nice balance but that last episode was really so far into surreal/fantasy territory that it was kind of jarring. Way too many outlandish things to advance the story and get Barry out of a situation than they've ever needed before.

I

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
It was inherently silly, but it's pretty much keeping in line with Barry's incredible luck to get out of jams lol

I don't know, maybe so and I just need a rewatch, but it felt like a step beyond that. Like a combination of those incredible lucky things along with surreal absurdity all together to get to that point.

Like it feels like the show that has that scene with Barry and his friend in the car is a totally different one than whoever last episode was.

Yet, it was damn entertaining. I dunno....

Oct 25, 2017
In my head canon, once Ronny bashes Barry with a series of headbutts the rest of the episode is Barry's warped perception of what happened.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, maybe so and I just need a rewatch, but it felt like a step beyond that. Like a combination of those incredible lucky things along with surreal absurdity all together to get to that point.

Like it feels like the show that has that scene with Barry and his friend in the car is a totally different one than whoever last episode was.

Yet, it was damn entertaining. I dunno....

Hell, the basis for this episode, him being blackmailed instead of arrested, is another example of hilarious convenience, albeit a cleverly foreshadowed one. There's no denying that this is the weirdest, most surreal example yet, but Barry has always been lucky as hell.

Anyways, I had no issue with it. I see it as this show's Atlanta moment, where it just really expands what you thought the show was capable of doing within its universe.

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
New episode tonight:
The Truth Has a Ring to It

In preparation for his big scene with Sally (Sarah Goldberg), Barry (Bill Hader) works with Gene (Henry Winkler) to help get into character. Sally resolves to embrace her truth. Noho Hank (Anthony Carrigan) prepares for a big night with his newly-trained men. Fuches (Stephen Root) goes on a mission.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
That was a nice return to form, thank god. Hope they actually follow through with Fuches - I would hate if they kept pulling their punches to maintain the status quo.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Last week made me realize how terrific the physical comedy is, and this one definitely continued. Fuches uninterrupted falling and then just open baby sobbing really got me.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
That was a nice return to form, thank god. Hope they actually follow through with Fuches - I would hate if they kept pulling their punches to maintain the status quo.
After the way they shut everything else down, Fuches is the only thing left on that side of Barry's life. So something is coming.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
So episode 5 of season 2 was my introduction to this show and I don't think any show has hit me with a stronger "Yeah, ok, I'll go binge the entire rest of it now" feeling before in my life.

Me and some friends watch GoT together every week and instead of being at my place, this one dude in the group who absolutely loves Barry but never bothers talking about it hosted. So after GoT was over and we were just hanging around talking, he put on that episode to have on in the background. And I think our conversations ended pretty much right as the fight with Ronny got underway right at the beginning. Everyone was just enthralled the whole rest of the episode despite most of us never seeing the show before. Talk about a strong first impression part-way through the second season.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Straight up using Daniel Bernhardt's main headshot for Ronny's photo in the opening press conference scene was amusing.

"Stay off the 405, man." Words to live by!

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Fuches going against Barry can't end good for him.Maybe if he saw how Barry is coming along in acting class, he would ease up a bit.

I do love every-time Bill Hader switches from playing a bad actor to being really good like he was in the scene with Sally.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
great episode. the chechens sending barry off killed me. and then the payoff at the end for the guy who cut Hank off.

Hank just wants Barry to be his friend ☹️

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and man, i love when barry actually acts in acting class. it's a fine line, because if he does it all the time, Gene doesn't really earn his "and scene!" but when it happens, it gets me every time. they just keep adding layers to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Another fun episode. I love how the good version of the theater scene, it was pretty rad. Honestly though, im way more excited by the next one. Barry? Getting a part? I am so curious about what it could be!