• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it really makes sense, just TV shows have a tendency to fuck with the audience when they're not showing the dead body.

Yea I get that, but like, there's no real reason for Barry to keep her alive, neither was there anything hinting at it.

I can't even say it'd be about his conscience, as he's clearly shown that when it comes down to it, he will murder the fuck outta someone to keep himself from going to jail

Apr 19, 2018
I mean, didn't they show those quick scenes of Janice getting shot when Barry was recalling during Sally's stage rehearsal?

And we got a glimpse of the body in the trunk?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yea I get that, but like, there's no real reason for Barry to keep her alive, neither was there anything hinting at it.

I can't even say it'd be about his conscience, as he's clearly shown that when it comes down to it, he will murder the fuck outta someone to keep himself from going to jail

Yeah, I get that too. I guess I'm just cynical of even great shows like this to commit to these sorts of choices (even though we've seen Barry do some heinous shit), and the fact they didn't fully show the corpse in the last episode keeps me from just fully letting it go.

Basically until I see her face I ain't satisfied.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, didn't they show those quick scenes of Janice getting shot when Barry was recalling during Sally's stage rehearsal?

And we got a glimpse of the body in the trunk?

They did. I'll admit, I held the faintest possibility of her being alive, like 1% left, which then got eradicated when we see Barry very clearly shoot Janice several times.

Yeah, I get that too. I guess I'm just cynical of even great shows like this to commit to these sorts of choices (even though we've seen Barry do some heinous shit), and the fact they didn't fully show the corpse in the last episode keeps me from just fully letting it go.

Basically until I see her face I ain't satisfied.

I felt that that was more a decision where only Gene, the one who cares about her, gets to look at her face. Also, if she's still alive, she should react a little. Imagine her just having fallen asleep or something, that'd be silly.

Oct 25, 2017
Just catching up and that rehearsal in episode 6 was tense as fuck. I was extremely worried Barry was going to lose it and for Sally's mental well-being. Violent assassin boyfriend playing the abusive boyfriend of a domestic violence survivor. Not a great combination.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean not going through with it would mean Barry has to kill gene as well as fuches because gene would know Barry was involved with janice

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gene doesn't know that Barry is involved yet... Right? Fuches called police pretending to be Gene saying he killed his wife.
If Barry shows up to save him he will 100% know Barry is involved. So thats the problem. Barry can show up and save him, but hes going to have to kill him as well to cover up that he had anything to do with it. Hes fucked either way

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Collider: Bill Hader on Shifting from Comedy to Darkness in 'Barry' Season 2 Episode 7
I can imagine. This is a really great Sally episode and I wanted to talk about when she delivers her monologue outside Barry's place. She's terrific in that scene and she has a lot to juggle and a lot of things to say and a lot of things that you could imagine Barry reacting to in different ways. But I wanted to talk about the decision to keep the camera only on Sally for the entirety of that monologue. How did that came about?

HADER: Well, that came about where Alec and I were saying, well, gosh, Sally's feeling all these different things and we need a scene with her and Barry and we kept throwing out what it could be. I remember we were on the phone with Liz Sarnoff going like what would that theme be? We all were just kind of listing how Sally was feeling. Then Sarah Goldberg also had her thoughts on how Sally was feeling and where she was at. The list was really long and we were like, "How do we hit all these in a thing?" and then I said, "Well, you know, what I'm sure Sarah can do is I'm sure Sarah could do a three-minute monologue without breathing." Because Sarah is a theater trained actress and she can memorize large amounts of dialogue and then she can say it incredibly fast. So it was a bit like showing off our cast member where it was like, "I bet you can do this and you can do this in one shot." So there's no trick. It really is just shot on her and do it just that way. And Alec was like, "Yeah." Then we take it to Sarah. I said, "Hey, do you want to do a two-page monologue that has like no commas in it, no punctuation and we're never going to cut? It's just going to be on you?" And she was like, "Oh, my God, I love that. Are you joking? It's my dream."

She did four takes of it. All four of them were perfect. The crew would applaud after each one. But it was just to show where she is at and that she's feeling all these things, and she's someone unlike Barry that has to share it all at once. I think it's a sign of growth for her that she could say "I'm really fucking jealous of you right now. Even though Swim Instructors is absolute shit, I am so jealous." And I feel like that's a thing that so many struggling actors go through, when you're just like I can't believe they got that thing, I'm so jealous even though I think it's a dumb thing, that thing is going to be huge.

Earlier in the series you can imagine her doing kind of the passive aggressive kind of smile, and "Oh I'm so happy for you," without saying what she's really feeling.

HADER: Exactly. And this is her going, "No, I love you and I'm caring about you and I'm trying to be a better person here, but I've got to be real with you. If you get this, I will be happy for you but I will also kind of hate you. I'm being honest." Like this whole season is about "I'm trying to be honest." So that's her honesty monologue and so the combination of her going through a lot and us wanting to express it and get it into a scene and then having an actor who could handle that. Not only handle it but specializes in it. Where you go "Oh, give Sarah Goldberg three pages and she'll rattle it off. No problem."

It's terrific.

HADER: So, yeah, that's where that came from and that's one of my favorite moments of the season. I love when she kind of talks to herself. It just gives you such insight into that character. And Paula Huidobro, the DP, was laughing because she said, "The way you look at her at the end of the scene I feel like so many men look at me that way." (laughs)

I saw that look and I was like I completely get that. I get that look.

HADER: Yeah. Yeah. It was such a very male/female thing on set where a lot of women were like I have so felt like her and the guys were like, no, I've given that look to my girlfriend or wife before. (laughs)

"What is the correct response here?"

HADER: "How do I respond to that?"
More via the link.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else think that the body isn't Janice? I couldn't quite tell with Gene's reaction. It was definitely disgust, but not necessarily what I'd expect if it was her.

To me it feels like they're setting up for Barry to be running to the actual location of the body and Fuches / Gene somewhere else. Just doesn't seem like Barry to have left it there so carelessly. I just got the sense that was what the show was hinting at with the cuts to him running through the woods.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
If Barry shows up to save him he will 100% know Barry is involved. So thats the problem. Barry can show up and save him, but hes going to have to kill him as well to cover up that he had anything to do with it. Hes fucked either way
Yeah, they already pulled that card once this season with Sally in the hotel room with her ex so if he's there he'll have to reckon with it. Would feel kind of cheap for Barry to be there but not be seen just like in that episode.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I love what they're doing with fuches in this.

You can tell he genuinely cares about Barry in a sick and sadistic way. Fuches got extremely jealous when Gene talked about how proud he was of Barry, I thought he was gonna kill him right on the spot judging from his reaction.

His character reminds me a lot of Walter White, just a really bad person who manipulates and wants to control the person he, "made". (i.e Jesse/Barry)

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I took the ending to mean Gene is gone. I don't see how he makes it out of this one, which is sad, cause Winkler is great.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I LOVE this show. Currently only 2 episodes into season 2 so not reading anything in here but just wanted to voice my support. I'll be back soon.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl

Ehh remember he was on the phone with him just moments before. Fuches that is I mean. Gene told Barry himself he was at the cabin. Barry could always say he had a bad feeling with the way guy on the phone sounded, or that it sounded like a guy who became enemies with him in the war and decided to head over and make sure Gene was okay, or that he wanted to be there to help Gene look because of all Gene had done for him, etc. There are a billion bullshit reasons he could have made up as Gene already specifically told Barry himself where he was. They're not all believable, no but that could be the thread moving forward... That Gene *suspects* Barry knows more than he's letting on, etc.

But no, in actuality I think Gene is fucked :(.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ehh remember he was on the phone with him just moments before. Fuches that is I mean. Gene told Barry himself he was at the cabin. Barry could always say he had a bad feeling with the way guy on the phone sounded, or that it sounded like a guy who became enemies with him in the war and decided to head over and make sure Gene was okay, or that he wanted to be there to help Gene look because of all Gene had done for him, etc. There are a billion bullshit reasons he could have made up as Gene already specifically told Barry himself where he was. They're not all believable, no but that could be the thread moving forward... That Gene *suspects* Barry knows more than he's letting on, etc.

But no, in actuality I think Gene is fucked :(.
That doesnt work because they're in the woods in the middle of nowhere. The only way barry could get there would be if he knew where the car and janice were. Which gene would realize.

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
Fuches found the car before we saw inside the trunk, and he definitely could have put planted a body there himself.

Idc how irrational it is, I'm holding out that Janice is still alive. >:(

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I took the ending to mean Gene is gone. I don't see how he makes it out of this one, which is sad, cause Winkler is great.

I think there are three outs:

* Barry outs himself to Gene in order to save him, and the consequences of that are dealt with over the course of the episode. Remember that Fuches impersonated Gene to the cops and made a fake confession, so Gene would need to convince the cops he didn't do it in order to effectively implicate Barry.

* A comedy of errors occurs, like faux-military man Fuches failing to turn off the safety, and a fight breaks out between Gene and Fuches. Gene could be knocked unconcious or run away, allowing Barry to step in on Fuches.

* Fuches freaks out at the idea of having to personally kill someone, which he's presumably never done and fails to follow through. Barry watches from a distance and this complicates his decision on Fuches.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Nah the episode prior showed how far into the wood fuches went in order to find the vehicle. He was out there a full day, over night, and the next morning before he found it.

Yeah I remember that, but I thought that was just due to Fuches absolute incompetence. Otherwise, how would Fuches tell Gene while in the cabin "let's take a walk" and then 5 minutes later whoop de do they're at the car?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I remember that, but I thought that was just due to Fuches absolute incompetence. Otherwise, how would Fuches tell Gene while in the cabin "let's take a walk" and then 5 minutes later whoop de do they're at the car?
A lot more time passed than that. Barry driving out of LA alone would have taken hours due to how bad traffic is, and then he would have to get to the cabin, and the woods, and this was shown to be happening as Fuches was about to kill him.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
A lot more time passed than that. Barry driving out of LA alone would have taken hours due to how bad traffic is, and then he would have to get to the cabin, and the woods, and this was shown to be happening as Fuches was about to kill him.

I guess I just find it hard to believe Gene would be so dumb as to follow a complete stranger miles into woodlands on foot without food or water lol. That may now be my most glaring issue with this show.

Edit: Losing Winkler is going to be a HUGE fucking mistake.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
* A comedy of errors occurs, like faux-military man Fuches failing to turn off the safety, and a fight breaks out between Gene and Fuches. Gene could be knocked unconcious or run away, allowing Barry to step in on Fuches.
This seems like a likely outcome. Gene being knocked out and not seeing Barry makes sense. I just really don't know how he's going to explain the phone call to the cops.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping for a big adjustment with the next episode. I want Barry to off Fuches while managing to keep his involvement a secret to Gene. In order to keep the tension with his hitman life, I think he needs to land the movie role and have it blow up. That way his face will be out there and I feel like it could pull in former clients from Cleveland. It would be a natural conclusion to the Fuches arc this season and would up the tension with all of his acting buddies. Maybe stresses there would cause him to realize his new friends aren't as great and he goes back to Hank or something?

Oct 25, 2017
Started watching Sunday night. Now on season 2 episode 3. It's definitely funny and dark, but surprisingly and uncomfortably relatable in ways I wasn't expecting making the darker actor aspects a bit tougher to sit through. Like the show, but not sure how much further I want to go down this rabbit hole. That thing with Sally remembering that night so much differently than her friend was eye opening. But then that text mishap with Sasha was hilarious and also really fucked up.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda expect Fuches' to screw up and have his shot graze Gene in the back of the head, putting him in a coma, but not killing him. Barry drives an unresponsive Gene to the hospital, but runs before he can be identified and then seeks revenge on Fuches.

Boom, I just saved Henry Winkler. What do I win?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I think Barry is going to hit Fuches but not kill him. Gene turns around to see Fuches has a gun and/or has been shot and takes off. Gene is apprehended by the police and arrested for the murder of his girlfriend. Fuches and Barry both take off so as not to be picked up by police. The scene we see in the preview is Barry visiting Gene in jail. Barry will need to pin the murder on Fuches to save Gene.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've figured it out. Fuches is about to pull the trigger on Gene, and then, outta nowhere, a young girl in a karate outfit mauls him to death.