• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should bars have TVs?

• Of course not

Votes: 56 38.4%
  • I'm an ignoramus with the maturity of a child

Votes: 90 61.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
lol i remember we kept stealing furniture from our university bar. It became a game of who could steal the biggest thing. Lots of stools, we managed a table once.

Yeah OP not every pub needs a tv. Luckily many Dublin pubs are sprawling and have nooks and crannies.

OP
OP
SNES Jr

SNES Jr

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol i remember we kept stealing furniture from our university bar. It became a game of who could steal the biggest thing. Lots of stools, we managed a table once.

Yeah OP not every pub needs a tv. Luckily many Dublin pubs are sprawling and have nooks and crannies.

Finally someone gets it.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
One restaurant I work at has no TV's at all, and my main gig has 1 tv inherited from the previous brunch place before it. We just play shows from Netflix on there!

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
TV's in bars aren't that bad to me. The worst is seeing TV's in a fucking Arby's or any fast food place.

or certain gas stations that have TV's built in and play while you pump gas. Like we're all a bunch of feeble, zombified morons(about half right), that need to fill every precious moment of our life with a bright light staring at us.

Sent from my iPhone

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
This has only ever been annoying when one of my regulars was packed out during the World Cup. Not a sports bar, but a foreigner-friendly bar. Packed full of faces I didn't recognise. Couldn't even get in.

Otherwise it's no bother. Nobody really watches the screens and they can be useful for pretending to do something while waiting for a friend to come back and not wanting to look like a bit of a loner staring at a smart phone.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Just got back from the bar with some pals. They wouldn't turn off the TV for some reason so when the bar tender wasn't looking I swiped the HDMI cable. I'm planning on returning it along with a handwritten letter in the morning.

This must be a troll. No one is this passive aggressive. Also, how did no one immediately notice that the TV suddenly didn't work and saw you near the area?

If that bar has cameras then stealing their cable wasn't very smart either

OP
OP
SNES Jr

SNES Jr

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This must be a troll. No one is this passive aggressive. Also, how did no one immediately notice that the TV suddenly didn't work and saw you near the area?

If that bar has cameras then stealing their cable wasn't very smart either

What's passive about taking action in the face of adversity?

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
What's passive about taking action in the face of adversity?

I've glanced through a few pages and everything from your replies to other posters to the poll and your own posts is telling me this is nothing more than a troll/fake.No one who is serious types the way you do in this topic.

I also don't believe you managed to steal an HDMI cable without anyone in the bar noticing you or that the tv suddenly went off. But if you want to keep up this tall tale, you do you.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Finally someone gets it.
You mean the stealing part. Yup, they got it.

OP is either trolling or about two bad days away from a psychotic break.

Always bet on trolling.

He quickly swiped a hmdi cable from the TV, elevated, connected to the wall/box? Without being noticed? Is Snes a smurf?

I can't easily remove my own hdmi cable to my tv. It requires a ladder and gymnastics.

Unless we are to believe it's the only bar in the world with tvs that aren't elevated.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017
It's a lame way of ensuring patrons spend more time in the bar. TVs cause distraction, meaning conversations last longer since people require more time to form thoughts, and sometimes need to ask their interlocutors to repeat sentences.

OP
OP
SNES Jr

SNES Jr

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a lame way of ensuring patrons spend more time in the bar. TVs cause distraction, meaning conversations last longer since people require more time to form thoughts, and sometimes need to ask their interlocutors to repeat sentences.

Thank you!

Returning it with a letter? If you thought that what you did was right, then you should return it in person and tell them your story.

I find I'm most eloquent when I write down my thoughts.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find I'm most eloquent when I write down my thoughts.

eloquence will get you nowhere. this situation calls for action. go in there, order a beer, dramatically slap the cable on the bar and explain your grievance in as few words possible ("brevity is the soul of wit" - wayne gretzky) and then leave. tip 100%, or better yet, just leave a 20 and don't take the change. you might not be able to make them get rid of the TV, but you can guarantee the next time you're in there they'll remember you're the guy who hates tv and tips like a lunatic, so your odds of getting them to turn it off will be much higher. i say all of this presuming by your avatar that you actually live in the greater Boston area, which means the likelihood of the bar calling the police is pretty slim as they've assuredly seen much, much worse

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you OP.... just maybe... not quite to the extent of swiping a cable.

However I will fully admit to fucking with bar TVs using the IR blaster on my Newton back in the 90s so maybe I am already there.

I just wouldn't patronize a place like that anymore. I don't watch the sportsball so the places I hang out at are either TV-less or have like a single display showing freaky photoshops of historical photos or something non-motion-distracting.

OP
OP
SNES Jr

SNES Jr

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree with you OP.... just maybe... not quite to the extent of swiping a cable.

However I will fully admit to fucking with bar TVs using the IR blaster on my Newton back in the 90s so maybe I am already there.

I just wouldn't patronize a place like that anymore. I don't watch the sportsball so the places I hang out at are either TV-less or have like a single display showing freaky photoshops of historical photos or something non-motion-distracting.

Honestly, you're one of the very few people in this thread I actually respect.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
OP if you aren't full of shit and trolling, which is highly likely considering how straight you've played this thread the whole time, you went from annoying to a downright asshole with that HDMI cable shit. If you did that at the bar I worked at I woulda put your face through a window.

Your dumb ass righteousness about how other people should enjoy their time at a a bar doesn't give you a pass to take other people's property.

This must be a troll. No one is this passive aggressive.
You'd be goddamned surprised. When I was booking gigs I'd have assholes fuck with the speakers if they didn't like the band that was playing. People are entitled pricks.

Last edited:

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
OP, the history Channel documentary was more interesting than you to her, just move on and find someone else to talk to.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Some bars can have TVs and some can not. I go to a lot of breweries with my partner and friends and we usually bring a deck of cards and just talk drink and play whatever low impact game we're feeling.

But I also love baseball and it's nice to go to the neighborhood watering hole and see the game. And honestly sometimes I dig it when a bar has a tv on silent playing an old movie. I can't see how that's so infuriating.

In conclusion relax and enjoy your beer we're all gonna be dead soon anyway so stop getting your undies knotted up

Oct 27, 2017
The only point in going to a bar is to get drunk with friends or watch sports games with friends. Absolutely nothing about what a bar offers is mature or "adult". That's somehow both self-conscious and ignorant.

I'll also note open mics and karaoke are fun but again, nothing mature comes from either of those things.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
You're just an asshole. If you don't like the TV don't watch it or better yet don't go to the bar. Plus you acted like a god damn child and are a thief to boot.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I met SNES at an airport yesterday. Did you sit on the floor like a child because you didn't want to take your shoes off?

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like bars with TVs and I like bars without TVs. There's no one-size-fits-all answer here.

If I want to watch hockey, eat quality sushi, and order a cocktail, there should be a place where I can do all three in my neighborhood... and there is. It shouldn't just be relegated to sports bars, because they don't offer the same type of dining experience as other places.

If I want an intimate candle-lit night with no sports on in the background, and some nice jazz or piano music or someting, there are bars for that in my neighborhood too.

If you live in a city, you should be able to have it both ways.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from the bar with some pals. They wouldn't turn off the TV for some reason so when the bar tender wasn't looking I swiped the HDMI cable. I'm planning on returning it along with a handwritten letter in the morning.
giphy.gif

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
This thread perfectly captures the people who post in the sports threads and the people who don't lol

OP
OP
SNES Jr

SNES Jr

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Bumped old thread just to continue antagonizing other users, long history of similar behavior
OP if you aren't full of shit and trolling, which is highly likely considering how straight you've played this thread the whole time, you went from annoying to a downright asshole with that HDMI cable shit. If you did that at the bar I worked at I woulda put your face through a window.

Your dumb ass righteousness about how other people should enjoy their time at a a bar doesn't give you a pass to take other people's property.

Put my face through a window? Yeah ok pal, maybe if you weren't wasting your life infront of the idiot box watching sportsball.

Come find me when you get a brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.