• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
I'm team still team release the next model before your heavy hitters until you get production somewhat under control. Nintendo can afford to delay their bigger games because it will give them more time to make the games better, Zelda was delayed gazillion times and was worth it. I think Sony's first party titles will benefit in the long run from PS5 being able to sell out without needing more than a few pieces of exclusive content. PS5 right now is essentially a PS4 pro +, and because the hardware jump is substantial enough the system is still very valuable even without the amazing first party exclusives. I think Switch NXT will be able sell well just based off performance enhancements of current switch games, better screen, more premium look and feel, better joycons, etc. Either way it's going to be interesting to see what approach Nintendo takes to launch this new hardware. Nintendo could also be trying to be more cautious in regards to hardware defects which may be a cause for delay for the NXT model into next year.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
SuperMetalDave's predictions never really made sense though, and were so astronomically out there even the most optimistic person never believed such a thing would happen. Only the foolish actually believed it.

It's offensive to compare sane, tame and realistic predictions all reasonably possible mind you, to Metal's predictions and consider them to be comparable. IMO.
And maybe it's just me, but I find SuperMetalDave64 to be super passive aggressive and super defensive when people disagree with what he said. (z0m3le is definitely no SuperMetalDave64.)

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Strategic and financial.

I.E. R&D spend, digital sales mix, NSO growth/engagement, etc...
Ask about the momentum of releases and support from more 3rd parties (to fill in the gaps).

I mean you can also sneak in a higher resolution display question in there (4k) to see if we could get some response.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020
No I appreciate it, I try not to tease and I don't want to be an insider, I just like investigating and digging for info, I share everything I find unless I'm told not to, luckily I've been able to share almost everything.

I'm sure you know we all appreciate it. The thread wouldn't be the same without you or your crazy math which I'm glad you do for us as I suck at math personally 😂

If the next Switch when docked has a 4x increase to CPU performance. A 2x increase to GPU performance. A 2x memory bandwidth bump and 2x the amount of ram then I'll be very happy. Anything else like DLSS or some small RT will be cherry on the cake!

Bowser's Fury is shocking to me when he goes nuts. I had a moment last night while docked where I had trouble getting Mario to respond because the system was being completely overwhelmed with draw calls due to his fire beam attacks and I'd guess it was around 20fps. It didn't last long it's just shocking to see this sort of performance and controller response from a first party Mario game! The game is also best me if the jaggiest Switch games to date due to the draw distance and all the straight edges of the geometry.

It looks far cleaner in screenshot mode. DF didn't say what resolution it changes to. 1080p I'm guessing?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
If they release MK9 anytime soon (which I'm not convinced by considering MK8 just sold what? 6 million copies in the past nine months) then it will be shown at E3 and either be the big November game or held until Spring '22.

I feel it's more likely that MK9 will be held for the proper next gen Switch launch in late '23 / Spring '24. If that happens I hope we get another batch of MK8 DLC to hold people over who've been playing MK8 since it's Wii U launch.

z0m3le

The game you're talking about being 1440p on the new chipset. Is it a currently released game or is it an unreleased game. Also if it's currently released then is it cross gen or current gen only (PC+PS5+XBSS+XBSX)? Thanks.
It's not insider information, it was data mined from a game on the switch. The configuration file has a 3rd switch profile outside of portable and docked, which has a 1440p render resolution, the docked profile for the current Switch has a 720p render resolution. It's being shared around but an open secret for now I guess? Might not want to highlight the developer.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the 2022 release is both in response to:

1. The Next-Gen console's rather constrained availability due to production issues and

2. Global chip production crisis

3. Ongoing global pandemic

4. Launch lineup to go alongside it.

If even Samsung and Nvidia are struggling to manufacture 3000 series Ampere cards after 6 months, then it definitely makes sense why this newer model probably won't be coming out anytime soon, even if production has started last year.

Dec 2, 2020
It's not insider information, it was data mined from a game on the switch. The configuration file has a 3rd switch profile outside of portable and docked, which has a 1440p render resolution, the docked profile for the current Switch has a 720p render resolution. It's being shared around but an open secret for now I guess? Might not want to highlight the developer.

Okay that makes sense. Could send me a pm with a link? I have no idea what to search for. I was more asking to know if it could handle next gen only games.

AC Valhalla, RDR II or CP2077 on the go at 1080p would be phenomenal anyway. The one genre Switch lacks is AAA open World games.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Okay that makes sense. Could send me a pm with a link? I have no idea what to search for. I was more asking to know if it could handle next gen only games.

AC Valhalla, RDR II or CP2077 on the go at 1080p would be phenomenal anyway. The one genre Switch lacks is AAA open World games.
This setting suggests the new Switch would be more capable than the PS4 before DLSS, so yeah. Though memory bandwidth is going to be inferior than PS4's.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I also forgot to mention that I find the "Think for yourself, question authority" intro on his YouTube videos to be super cringe worthy and super ironic, given how SuperMetalDave64 reacts when people actually disagree with him.
That's his passive way of saying he's better than the media outlets that have sources. Remember: he said Eurogamer had no source on NX when they showed the tablet design and Nvidia was provider. He kept pushing AMD and how Nvidia was done with the gaming sphere. His entire process is to frame every bit of info as a prediction or speculation; yet will want credit if something happens to be right. However, when wrong, he takes no accountability for it. His "speculation" is based on info he is given but fails to understand.

Oh my god. That is rather unfortunate for the individual :(, btw have you heard any new things?

Not in specific, just if you heard new things.

Won't really talk more about the tech specs than I have. It has DLSS & it has 4k functionality. No reason to go deeper than that right now. That's enough to illustrate the device is a meaningful upgrade. First party support with span the new hardware and current Switch for at least a couple of years. We were shown as much yesterday & I talked about it on my latest podcast.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't SuperMetalDave64 shared an official looking document with Nintendo of America's marketing plans for FY 2016?
I remember that floating around, but couldn't remember whether he shared it or if it was actually legit. Either way I definitely thought it was fake at the time.

Oct 25, 2017
Won't really talk more about the tech specs than I have. It has DLSS & it has 4k functionality. No reason to go deeper than that right now. That's enough to illustrate the device is a meaningful upgrade. First party support with span the new hardware and current Switch for at least a couple of years. We were shown as much yesterday & I talked about it on my latest podcast.
Only want a yes or no answer and you don't even have to give that but will portable mode be a nice upgrade???

Thugstas

Banned
Jul 1, 2019
That's his passive way of saying he's better than the media outlets that have sources. Remember: he said Eurogamer had no source on NX when they showed the tablet design and Nvidia was provider. He kept pushing AMD and how Nvidia was done with the gaming sphere. His entire process is to frame every bit of info as a prediction or speculation; yet will want credit if something happens to be right. However, when wrong, he takes no accountability for it. His "speculation" is based on info he is given but fails to understand.

Stop my friend .... that is enough 😉

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Didn't SuperMetalDave64 shared an official looking document with Nintendo of America's marketing plans for FY 2016?

He shared marketing budget figures, which exposed his source immediately. And he did it for validation to prove he had a single source. Ruined a person's job all for internet clout.

You're 100% confident?
And did you hear anything about a NSO revamp or MK9 for Christmas as well?
I'm 100% confident in DLSS and 4K functionality, yes. I have not heard anything on the other two.
Only want a yes or no answer and you don't even have to give that but will portable mode be a nice upgrade???
If what I've heard is accurate, yes.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
And he got the individual fired for sharing all that he did.
Just reckless. I know people who know stuff. I specifically don't ask them for info, it's not important to know something now that I'll know in 6 months vs someone's livelihood.

Yeah my big problem with smd64 outside of him getting someone fired for internet clout, is that he doesn't understand technology and uses his audience's ignorance of it to draw incorrect conclusions. He believed that because there is a driver for pci express in a switch job listing, that we were getting a new Switch that would use a dedicated GPU like a egpu dock. USB-c uses multiple pci express lanes to move data, but being unaware of that, he would just push his info as fact.

As for the Switch model incoming, we should just treat it like a PS4 with DLSS and a more capable CPU. That's plenty to get an idea of what it should be capable of IMO.

thegodsend

Oct 26, 2017
other outlets have reported those things, so I think you can be confident on it

I think we might see something from Digital Foundry in before Q1 is over.

I havent't read much about it outside of this topic, and specially not from outlets like DF.
But if it's really happening and Infos are out there, I'd expect them or VGCC to being a scoop soon, that's for sure.

Dec 21, 2020
I also forgot to mention that I find the "Think for yourself, question authority" intro on his YouTube videos to be super cringe worthy and super ironic, given how SuperMetalDave64 reacts when people actually disagree with him.
Yep, last year I stumbled upon a video of his and it was the first time I saw it since I was curious on how powerful a switch would be in the now considering phones accelerate at blinding speeds compared to consoles, and the switch had hardware mire similar to things like them. Anyway, so I saw the video and it was so bizarre and cringe in how it was framing polaris for the NX along with a bunch of other things and I was like "...how would, why?" on top of the ironic "think for yourself" which is counter to what he seems to be about... All in all I got bad vibes. And was confused as well. Entered with interest, left confused and dumbfounded.. not in a good way.

Ah I see, thank you for updating us!

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
First party support with span the new hardware and current Switch for at least a couple of years.

Is the implication here being that eventually this new device starts receiving Nintendo games that won't appear on the current model? Or that another completely new model is introduced that starts receiving its own exclusive games not playable on the current Switch and Pro?

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Is the implication here being that eventually this new device starts receiving Nintendo games that won't appear on the current model? Or that a completely new model is introduced that starts receiving its own exclusive games not playable on the Pro?
In my opinion, the implication is that Nintendo games will be playable on both the Nintendo Switch and the next Nintendo Switch model for a couple of years before Nintendo begins to release games that only work on the next Nintendo Switch model. As for third party developers, who knows? It's possible third party developers will release games that only work on the next Nintendo Switch model from day one.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I havent't read much about it outside of this topic, and specially not from outlets like DF.
But if it's really happening and Infos are out there, I'd expect them or VGCC to being a scoop soon, that's for sure.
peeps at Eurogamer seems to be fanning the flames as of late. Tom Phillips bring it up with a wink and a nudge every know and then, and John Lienmann had a particular canter in the recent Immortals video

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Is the implication here being that eventually this new device starts receiving Nintendo games that won't appear on the current model? Or that another completely new model is introduced that starts receiving its own exclusive games not playable on the current Switch and Pro?
Nintendo may transition from OG Switch to Pro over a span of multiple years. It depends what they want from the device & if they plan to introduce a successor in the traditional sense or not.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
It's inevitable that there will be titles that only work on this new hardware, especially if the increase in specs is big enough to support DLSS. It would have to be basically a generational leap for that.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I'm guessing that is the eventual plan but they're giving themselves leeway to do something different depending on how this revision sells.

Dec 21, 2020
Genshin Impact on iPhone 12 gives me an idea of what I can expect tbh if it's on it, on the high settings (it has a 60FPS mode too).

Yes I will use that phone as a ballpark of the high end, since this thing will have active cooling.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah but AMD has something in the works right, think i read something. Does IBM also? Not sure on that one.
They have something in the works but when and what quality is up in the air. Intel's thingie was experimental for a research paper. And wasn't real-time if I recall. Nvidia is really the only one to actually show usable results. Hell, I used it in a UE4 test environment

Dec 21, 2020
yeah but AMD has something in the works right, think i read something. Does IBM also? Not sure on that one.
No.

and AMD will have their own version but if it is as good remains to be seen. DLSS in the way NV is implementing it runs in dedicated hardware, AMD will not be using dedicated hardware for this in the same vein as Tensor Cores. NV has the years of AI R&D and a third generation tensor cores.

AMD will be based off of DML iirc, but again remains to be seen since it isn't done similarly. And DLSS isn't proprietary but the TC are.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
From what has been said here I can see Nintendo just calling this thing Switch 2.

They'll probably do an unveil where they say the hardware is now coming in iterations where the software will continue to run of the previous system 'so no need to worry about your new Switch purchase' etc.

Perhaps box art will state 'For Switch and Switch 2' with some games saying 'For Switch 2 only'.

Maybe I'm overthinking it though. I just think some people would panic if they saw 'Switch 2' and think their current Switch was now defunct.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
From what has been said here I can see Nintendo just calling this thing Switch 2.

They'll probably do an unveil where they say the hardware is now coming in iterations where the software will continue to run of the previous system 'so no need to worry about your new Switch purchase' etc.

Perhaps box art will state 'For Switch and Switch 2' with some games saying 'For Switch 2 only'.

Maybe I'm overthinking it though. I just think some people would panic if they saw 'Switch 2' and think their current Switch was now defunct.
I think Super Nintendo Switch could also potentially be the next name for the next model.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019

The casual audience is not "smart" so they will have issues understanding something like that. A lot of people still think the WiiU is a Wii accessory.
I think Nintendo will just push it as a stronger Switch like the New 3DS.

Mar 2, 2020
Brazil

I don't think they'll market it that way...
I think the boxes will still be Nintendo Switch even for the games highly improved.
Now, the inevitable third party games only playable on the new model will have its logo instead.

Dec 21, 2020
When has Nintendo ever used 2 on a console though? lol

They could have called the 3DS the DS2 and they didn't. Wii U could have been the Wii 2, but wasn't. GBA could have been the GB2 and again, was not. They aren't Sony or Apple who go with more simple naming schemes that make it as clear as possible the "Hey, this is new, it succeeds the old" even the PS4Pro was generic af.

Xbox One X was at least more clever until the Series consoles because reasons ????

Super Nintendo Extraordinary Switch, Super Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Super, Nintendo Switch Advance, NEW Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch U, Nintendo Switch T four, Nintendo Switchcube, Nintendo sWIItch, Nintendo Switch SNX, etc., are all possible names.

I'm partial to the first 4, with the final one being more successor territory IMO

DLSS is proprietary. It's written in Nvidia's deep learning language
I was referring to the upsampling of an Image.

Mar 2, 2020
Brazil
The casual audience is not "smart" so they will have issues understanding something like that. A lot of people still think the WiiU is a Wii accessory.
I think Nintendo will just push it as a stronger Switch like the New 3DS.

I'm of that opinion as well. It'll be another New 3DS/DS-i situation, even tho it's much more powerful. Then midlife or late life it turns into a GBC receiving some games that only run in it or in the actual Succ(2025 at the earliest).

Mar 2, 2020
Brazil
It'll either be Nintendo Switch Plus or New Nintendo Switch. Nintendo Switch DX or Premium maybe?

They decided to call the simpler and smaller version Nintendo Switch Lite, like DS Lite and unlike Wii Mini.
Nintendo Switch-i would be a hell of a weird name. Nintendo Switch Color lol would be a joke name. Nintendo Switch Advance is a great name but would sound way more like a successor.

Plus is the one that makes the most sense if the other revision was Lite.

Maybe that's simply Nintendo Switch XL? Like, marketing both a little bigger screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.