• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryol

Jan 21, 2021
I'm making the emuMMC now. Are we under the impression that one of these files is fake, or that there are potentially two files? Or do we have no idea and that's why I'm doing this lol

Edit: based on the above, seems one is fake. I'll poke around for extra configs just in case tho

I think there is only 1 config file (inside the .pak file: Newera/Config/SwitchDeviceProfiles.ini).

I just extracted the files myself to check and seems like the 1440p was just edited.
Gonna look around for more info.

m8zarVB.png

Last edited:

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Are you still confident of a significant power increase over the OG Switch and with the inclusion of DLSS, or was this only one piece of the puzzle?
Yeah absolutely, this was just the first piece of evidence that we could have, it has nothing to do with the people I've talked to, it came from someone who was known as a data miner to a Nintendoera member and I shared it here because if it was real it collaborated everything I'd heard, but again it wasn't the source of anything I've heard and I knew that it would be verified as real or fake before the weekend ended, so I didn't think it would be harmful to share.

If we want real information, we will have to dig through some trash.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I can back up Tryol here. It's not looking like there's a second file (which would be what makes sense - presumably the Switch profile has standard settings, and SwitchConsole and SwitchHandheld are the docked and undocked modes which inherit and override various settings). Seems they just added a resolution override line to the SwitchConsole profile.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
My new policy is if something is making me say to myself "why would anyone fake this?" then it's probably fake.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
Wait, actually.

Do we have any evidence Nintendo/Square haven't done a hotfix to the patch code?

If that was left in there i'd say Nintendo's Ninjas would be on that almost ASAP

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
At least booting up CFW gave me an excuse to run Xenoblade at native res in handheld mode again. It looks so good, really hope Monolith updates their games for the new hardware.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, actually.

Do we have any evidence Nintendo/Square haven't done a hotfix to the patch code?

If that was left in there i'd say Nintendo's Ninjas would be on that almost ASAP
The version is still 1.0.0. Not sure if that means anything, but... everything in that config screenshot is identical except for the added resolution line. You'd think other stuff would be different on new hardware.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
The version is still 1.0.0. Not sure if that means anything, but... everything in that config screenshot is identical except for the added resolution line. You'd think other stuff would be different on new hardware.
Well, the profiles are dependent on the developer.

If they just want to take the same settings and use that horsepower to yeet it to 1440p, they can.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see the sharpening filter gone and maybe find a way to reduce the pop-in and maybe increase the resolution of textures.
What's the approximate power jump we're speculating again? I imagine the new unit can do those things at 1080p and DLSS that up to 4K when docked, but I don't expect them to increase the resolution of any assets. Reducing pop-in is more likely but I still wouldn't expect it.

The sharpening filter is easily configurable and can be edited or removed on a modded Switch.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
What a rollercoaster right, and I enjoyed every minute. Thanks Tryol and JershJopstin for the Nancy Drewing. This rumor was sus to begin with. Since most TVs don't support 1440p, Nintendo is highly unlikely to target the resolution. Even as the source resolution of DLSS, 1080p is quite enough.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a rollercoaster right, and I enjoyed every minute. Thanks Tryol and JershJopstin for the Nancy Drewing. This rumor was sus to begin with. Since most TVs don't support 1440p, Nintendo is highly unlikely to target the resolution. Even as the source resolution of DLSS, 1080p is quite enough.
the render resolution being 1440p isn't all that weird, especially for other consoles. the system would just scale it afterwards anyway

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
I'd like to see a leak of the next Nintendo Switch model's housing, like with the Nintendo Switch Lite, to see if the rumour of the next Nintendo Switch model having a magnesium alloy housing is true or not.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
We still have others like Nate explicitly confirming 4K compatibility and DLSS
Like I said last night, things are already leaning towards that outcome even without having a leaked 1440p profile. It just would have been a nice piece of solid confirmation.
Didn't we find out recently though, that's what an early Switch prototype actually looked like?
Yes, but the design also appeared in a public patent, which is what the 3D printed fake was based on.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
Like I said last night, things are already leaning towards that outcome even without having a leaked 1440p profile. It just would have been a nice piece of solid confirmation.
Exactly. I'm still very confident. It just would have been a solidifying piece of concrete information. I still feel like we'll know all there is to know about the revision specs in an official announcement from Nintendo in H2.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the 1440p was faked, but I kinda hope they would allow that resolution for some PC monitors. PS5 does too, no?

I've had my Switch hooked up to my ASUS VG27AQ for the past month now and while it does have the slight tinge of vaseline smeared across it, it still looks pretty nice on a monitor that can support a 165hz refresh rate. Certainly I wouldn't mind 1440p if it means a boost to fps all things considered.

Maybe now that Switch has established itself as a gaming console, it can now get the 3rd party apps that are long overdue like Netflix, Twitch integration that the Pro can support, etc

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Would a possible 1440p profile increase the chances for a 1440p display on the device itself?

Apr 11, 2020
This better be out by September.
This.
Ah, I got mixed up; the article states that it's the Xbox that supports it, not PS5.

That being said, would it be a software update that could allow it? Theoretically the same thing with Switch so long as it also supported HDMI 2.1 in the dock?
There is very little pony to support a 1440p output. That said a 4K switch will probably have to run all its game at a maximum of 1440p before DLSS.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
I've had my Switch hooked up to my ASUS VG27AQ for the past month now and while it does have the slight tinge of vaseline smeared across it, it still looks pretty nice on a monitor that can support a 165hz refresh rate. Certainly I wouldn't mind 1440p if it means a boost to fps all things considered.
You may want to try the mClassic dongle. It upscales to 1440p (but not 4K). When you set the Switch output to 1080p, the result looks very good except that circles don't look perfectly round; if that bothers you, set the Switch output to 720p to get perfect upscaled circles but you'd lose some visual details.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
May I ask what's changed between your reasoning here/in your podcast, and in this statement from less than a week ago:

This was your response to a question asking the latest a port could release that wouldn't have you doubting BotW 2 could release in 2021. Obviously we got SS in July and not TP/TWW, but I can't really reconcile a meaningful difference there. I have no problem that you changed your mind - I'm just curious what did it, as I can't really figure it out from your podcast.

As for your point about 2022 shaping up to be a 2017 redux, I don't see why it doesn't work if you just shift everything up a few months. Splatoon doesn't have to be a July game; the original released in May. I always felt that we wouldn't see Zelda before we saw the new hardware, and I don't think the fact that they're not ready to start that marketing push just yet (presumably there's a lot to go with it - their entire holiday slot is empty) means Zelda's not coming this year.
It's the combination of events - no mention of BotW2, SS in July, no mention of TP/WWHD, AoC DLC in November. Too many signs pushing BotW2 out of 2021, in my view, and I already had my reservations about it being this year.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's the combination of events - no mention of BotW2, SS in July, no mention of TP/WWHD, AoC DLC in November. Too many signs pushing BotW2 out of 2021, in my view, and I already had my reservations about it being this year.

I really don't get this idea that AoC DLC can't be close to BotW2. I keep hearing it all over the place but it doesn't make sense, surely the opposite is more likely- that they would want it to release close to BotW2.

The marketing synergy works a lot better that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.