• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Splatoon 3 looked just as jaggedy and framey as a regular switch I REALLY don't think that was running on hardware 3 -4x the power.

That was normal base switch gameplay footage. we'll see more I'm sure as the year goes on and I'm almost positive that nintendo would showcase Switch Next with a slew of comparisons on cross launch titles. I bet Splatoon3, BOTW2 and if true MK9 would be among them.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Splatoon 3 looked just as jaggedy and framey as a regular switch I REALLY don't think that was running on hardware 3 -4x the power.

That was normal base switch gameplay footage. we'll see more I'm sure as the year goes on and I'm almost positive that nintendo would showcase Switch Next with a slew of comparisons on cross launch titles. I bet Splatoon3, BOTW2 and if true MK9 would be among them.
Of course it was base Switch footage. They aren't going to show the game running on unannounced hardware.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I really think BOTW2 being 2021 lives or dies with the launch of this revision. If I'm understanding correctly, the plan currently is still to launch it this year but March 2022 is now a contingency plan. So I imagine the plan for BOTW2 is also still to launch it this year.

I hope we hear more soon.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
Is it likely (or even feasible) that Nintendo will update already released games to benefit from a DLSS-capable model, or will the only improvements come from the enhanced specs?

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
Is it likely (or even feasible) that Nintendo will update already released games to benefit from a DLSS-capable model, or will the only improvements come from the enhanced specs?
They could try to push clocks when docked higher in order to stablize performance in some games that just need that bit of performance.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I really think BOTW2 being 2021 lives or dies with the launch of this revision. If I'm understanding correctly, the plan currently is still to launch it this year but March 2022 is now a contingency plan. So I imagine the plan for BOTW2 is also still to launch it this year.

I hope we hear more soon.
Pro launching with or around BotW2 is a hope, but the two can launch independently of each other.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it would be keeping multiple games open at once like Apps. Maybe the 1 A78 dedicated for OS would be enough? I do not know. But considered A55 for efficiency reasons and background stuff.
only if those apps are actively doing something would the cpu be needed, like video recording or downloading. if they're just paused, doing nothing, then it's more a function of ram (or if the interface is capable enough, the storage, see PS5/XS's multigame functions). there's just not much going to need to many threads that 1 A78 wouldn't be suitable

So was DF's belated look into Immortals just a random thing or was it prompted by something? :thinkingemoji
random. they said in the video that they just haven't had the time to get to it

Dec 21, 2020
Uncapped games would see benefit automatically, games capped at a certain Res and Framerate would need a "minor" update (so x.1.x update). For games to utilize DLSS, it's either a patch (x.x.1) since it has TAA in the engine, for those that don't have TAA integrated into their engine need a major update (1.x.x) to add TAA into their engine which DLSS can then be utilized.

But the amount of first party games with TAA in their engine is unknown to me, I only know of the latest Xenoblade Engine supporting TAA so it would only need a patch to utilize it in the case of that game. I'm not sure if it is meant to be capped at 30 though.

For a game like Breath of the Wild it would require some work if it doesn't support it, so a major patch.

Or they can do a "minor" update that utilizes the new switch hardware to the fullest and not use DLSS for that.

Is there a list of first party Nintendo games that use TAA? Does Luigi's Mansion 3 use it?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Pro launching with or around BotW2 is a hope, but the two can launch independently of each other.

Honestly I'd be surprised if BOTW2 actually needed that much more time itself. I would've thought it would be more or less content complete by now, so the release timing would be down to when they can release the pro.

If it's still requiring enough work to be potentially delayed 4-5 months from this fall then it really must be a pretty damn ambitious game.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW2 will run with OG Switch. The Pro enhancements will be a nice bonus. Like what Nate said, they can launch independently of each other. IMHO, this is just basic deduction. It's a huge franchise, no point in limiting its potential market.

The Pro selling point will be 60 fps, 4k, and better visual quality. They'll probably line up another game as the Pro headliner knowing full well that game won't sell more than a few million due to the limited Pro installed base initially. Maybe Star Fox will do it.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Honestly I'd be surprised if BOTW2 actually needed that much more time itself. I would've thought it would be more or less content complete by now, so the release timing would be down to when they can release the pro.

If it's still requiring enough work to be potentially delayed 4-5 months from this fall then it really must be a pretty damn ambitious game.
BotW2 isn't complete & the release timing isn't being decided on revision release window. Otherwise we would have been given an update yesterday. The fact they keep pivoting away from sharing information, dating SS in summer, and AoC DLC in November is shifting the game out of 2021, in my view. It would just be in their interest to have them as close as possible to give the hardware a major game to launch alongside.

SMD64 had an actual Nintendo source? Then why did he bang the Polaris drum so hard...

Source wasn't privy to technical side & it was before a lot of the tech talk around NX started.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
BotW2 isn't complete & the release timing isn't being decided on revision release window. Otherwise we would have been given an update yesterday. The fact they keep pivoting away from sharing information, dating SS in summer, and AoC DLC in November is shifting the game out of 2021, in my view. It would just be in their interest to have them as close as possible to give the hardware a major game to launch alongside.

I feel like AoC DLC would benefit much more from being close to BOTW2 than it would from being spaced apart. Though I do agree about SSHD.

Really interested in seeing the game though... if they've essentially made the game by building onto an existing framework for 3-4 years now, it must be a pretty ambitious game.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
AoC DLC can't carry their holidays either. I think the timing is the way it is because it's actual DLC they are developing right now, as opposed to canned DLC held back at release. So it does take time to develop. I wouldn't read too much into that timing.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
One interesting thing in yesterday's direct are the number of 2022 big hitters announced. It does feel like a new Switch will be aorund then to take advantage. The games revealed, an Octopath style SRPG and Splatoon 3 also feels strangely similar to the Switch 2017 January reveal lineup, with perhaps the SE game being further along in development. The missing piece is Zelda BOTW2 which could well slip into 2022 as well and a new Mario game.

Jul 14, 2020

Source wasn't privy to technical side & it was before a lot of the tech talk around NX started.

This is all plausible but I hope that Nintendo realizes that there is enough demand for new hardware - especially one with A78 CPU and an Ampere/DLSS gpu - to sell itself. It would be a mistake to miss holiday 2021 in an effort to co-launch with BotW2.

It could launch without software and see stock outs for 6+ months. Or out sell the Wii U in 6-months.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Still very confident about a 2021 launch ?
For the hardware? Let's say I'm confident it gets announced this year.

A delay to 2022 would need to be communicated in the next few months, as dev kits and third-party partners begin to plan software for the device. As of this very moment (Feb 18, 2021), I believe the hope remains for a 2021 launch.

One interesting thing in yesterday's direct are the number of 2022 big hitters announced. It does feel like a new Switch will be aorund then to take advantage. The games revealed, an Octopath style SRPG and Splatoon 3 also feels strangely similar to the Switch 2017 January reveal lineup, with perhaps the SE game being further along in development. The missing piece is Zelda BOTW2 which could well slip into 2022 as well and a new Mario game.

I say as much in my podcast. 2022 is mirroring too much of 2017 and that's why I'm expecting BotW2 in 2022 -- based on the lack of news, the timing of SSHD, the still TBA WW/TP HD release, and AoC DLC.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Just 1 week ago i dreamed about 3/4 ps4 power and someone made fun of me expecting to much... =D

I think Splatoon 3 was running off the Switch Pro.
I...really dont see it. it looks slightly better than 2? but 2 was a first year game. if thats all what 2-4x the power does...

IIRC he was threatened with legal action which is why he gave up his source in the first place. But I don't believe they could have actually (successfully) taken any legal action against him since he wasn't the one who broke NDA or released classified materials, his source was.
Did i miss something today?

And yeah, the SS release in summer worries me.
This can only mean either BotW2 in november/december, or its moved to next year.

Thugstas

Banned
Jul 1, 2019

A delay to 2022 would need to be communicated in the next few months, as dev kits and third-party partners begin to plan software for the device. As of this very moment (Feb 18, 2021), I believe the hope remains for a 2021 launch.
True.... delay depend on few data's

Jul 14, 2020
in that case, I'm more curious on how they plan to grow digital engagement and revenue. NSO is aight, but is sorely lacking in features, especially their retro lineup. their original games for subscribers like Mario 35 and Tetris 99 are nice, but too few and far inbetween.
I've been thinking about their SW dev cycle and if they're trying to develop a more clearly defined cadence to go along with an iterative HW approach. IE AAA(A) EPD groups target mainline release every 4 years inside an 18 month window (with each iterative HW release). Smaller groups target every 2 years, etc. etc.

If that gets ingrained, they start expanding to a multi-media approach with the bigger franchises (Mario/Zelda/AC). Say what you want about the games, but TPC have done quite a job for multi-media Product Management. Nintendo has a lot to learn from them there, and my feeling is the new corporate blood realizes that a lot of potential has been left on the table for decades. And this kind of expansion should help maintain/sustain user engagement (keeps the Nintendo mind-share constant).

Sooo I don't have any clear questions, but if any of the above sparks ideas on your part...
With relations to drift I presume, but I don't think they'll answer that with the lawsuit.

So, "how about adding more features to NSO?" is what the question would be in essence, but really framed in, have you attempted to poll feedback on the NSO service from active subscribers with potential options of where to improve the service and ideas you are planning to implement but are unsure of within the console itself and not the smartphone medium? Areas such as "communication" "special bonuses for subs" "interactivity with other players" or vague branches the sub can select and give you an idea of where to improve upon besides the infrastructure. Just an idea if you know what I mean.

Or you can always ask if they'll give themes and folders + a better activity log like the 3DS one at one point in time. Improving the user experience and interactivity with the console and the operating system to make it more convenient.

Or, how would they deal with the eShop curation of video games in a more organized fashion that makes it more organized and better sectioned to

Or can they add a night mode to the device, because please... the eShop burns at that white screen... to Me at least.

TL;DR questions pertaining to the overall future qol plans of the user from the NSO, to the Home Screen, to the eShop, to the activity log, etc., and if it's possible to make it more robust like their previous consoles such as the wii U, Wii or the 3DS in interactivity. I don't expect that latter but the former would be appreciated if not already thought of.

I dont the think it's even possible go below like that, clocking it lower would result in that lol
Ask about the momentum of releases and support from more 3rd parties (to fill in the gaps).

I mean you can also sneak in a higher resolution display question in there (4k) to see if we could get some response.

Yes, I plan to ask a version of all these questions anyways. But I need to temper your expectations.

I expect to get vague, unhelpful answers to most of these questions.

And then I would only provide a somewhat vague summary of the answers to protect myself.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018

I say as much in my podcast. 2022 is mirroring too much of 2017 and that's why I'm expecting BotW2 in 2022 -- based on the lack of news, the timing of SSHD, the still TBA WW/TP HD release, and AoC DLC.
Sounds reasonable, lets hope for the best.

How did you like the direct?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Was more talking about Zelda ^^

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I said something similar yesterday in the direct thread. Considering how they framed the latest BOTW 2 news along with Skyward Sword and AoC DLC, my confidence in a 2021 release for BOTW 2 dropped, but I'm not giving up hope.

Apr 11, 2020
If devkits have been delivered to 3rd party Devs, I suppose that it will launch in 2021 before the holiday season. It will be leaked at some point and it would kill holiday sales immediately.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
So... No A55 at all?
A game console is probably going to get a lot more mileage out of 8xA78 than 4xA78+4xA55 anyway. The background load is pretty light compared to a more general purpose device, so it makes sense to devote as much CPU power as possible to games.
It's going to be a heavily case by case thing. Some games will probably be updated, but it's going to depend a lot on what Nintendo wants to devote development resources to.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Mario Kart 9 was in development in 2018; I 'heard' about it at the same time as Splatoon 3. That being said, I was thinking until recently that the game had been put on the back burner as I believe that even Nintendo didn't expect MK8DX to sell that much. We'll see, but it's certainly a possibility that MK9 would release soon; even at the end of this year.
Mario Kart 9 was in development in 2018

and it released in 2019 🙂

Mario Kart 10 is definitely in development though!

NineTailSage

Jan 26, 2020
Hidden Leaf
Switch 2 will hardly be on par with the Series S APU in 2024-2026.

It would require a way more powerful ARM CPU architecture that would need to be on par with Zen 2 core while consuming *10 less power. This is something not achievable with any actual ARM CPU arch on any newer node (even 3 nm). For the GPU, 3 nm should be just enough to allow 4TFLOPs under a 20W power budget. That said, I would expect Microsoft to use some sort of hardware accelerated AI upscaling with the series S RDNA2 GPU too.

I think your numbers are off there if you are guesstimating for 3nm...
Even on 4nm an extension of 5nm, the GPU should be capable of more than that for under a 20w budget.

Apr 11, 2020
A game console is probably going to get a lot more mileage out of 8xA78 than 4xA78+4xA55 anyway. The background load is pretty light compared to a more general purpose device, so it makes sense to devote as much CPU power as possible to games.
I know that 6/8 cores are better than 4*A55. I'm just trying to know if he had informations concerning the existence of the A55s. If he has heard about any implementation of A55s, it means that the chip would be using A78 instead of A78C and thus no 6/8 core configuration.

NineTailSage

Jan 26, 2020
Hidden Leaf
I'm guessing the 2022 release is both in response to:

1. The Next-Gen console's rather constrained availability due to production issues and

2. Global chip production crisis

3. Ongoing global pandemic

4. Launch lineup to go alongside it.

If even Samsung and Nvidia are struggling to manufacture 3000 series Ampere cards after 6 months, then it definitely makes sense why this newer model probably won't be coming out anytime soon, even if production has started last year.

The Samsung 8N process is refined from the original 8nm node, but some changes were made apparently, but it seems the major yield issues are in dealing with manufacturing the larger Nvidia GPU's in the RTX 3090 and 3080. The 3070 is said to have better stock numbers and we will have to see if this continues with the 3060Ti and 3060, but such a small SoC that Switch Advance would use just has more flexibility when it comes to achieving better yields.

NineTailSage

Jan 26, 2020
Hidden Leaf
So I'm sitting here listening to NateTheHate podcast and I have to agree with them, I felt odd when they announced Splatoon 3 because Nintendo launched the Switch with Splatoon 2. In the grand scheme of things, the way BoTW2 is looking more like a 2022 game, the rumors of a MK9 in the works and the looming possibility of the Switch Advance hardware slipping into 2022 as well. Just looks like Nintendo are trying to replicate the same formula the og Switch launched with for the new hardware coming...

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm sitting here listening to NateTheHate podcast and I have to agree with them, I felt odd when they announced Splatoon 3 because Nintendo launched the Switch with Splatoon 2. In the grand scheme of things, the way BoTW2 is looking more like a 2022 game, the rumors of a MK9 in the works and the looming possibility of the Switch Advance hardware slipping into 2022 as well. Just looks like Nintendo are trying to replicate the same formula the og Switch launched with for the new hardware coming...
Definitely

Apr 11, 2020
But what would be the holiday 2021 game?

Dec 2, 2020

I agree on Zelda. Even without BotW 2 that's verging on too much of one franchise in a single year and risking consumer burnout (something which they're getting close to with 3D Mario in my humble opinion). I'm betting there will be a couple of older Zelda games as part of NSO too like maybe the two DS games or even an outside shot of the Ocarina of Time / Majora's Mask N64 versions to kick off the N64 Virtual Console.

From a business perspective there's no need for Nintendo to launch BotW this Winter imo outside of it being the perfect launch game for Switch Pro. I'd rather it stays in the oven for another few months to add as much polish as possible personally. They will want to top the original and that's going to be extremely tough.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
I think your numbers are off there if you are guesstimating for 3nm...
Even on 4nm an extension of 5nm, the GPU should be capable of more than that for under a 20w budget.
And even then, getting in the ballpark of the Series S isn't too unfeasible even in 2021.

If the rough translation of the Series S to PC Specs puts it somewhere in the range of a GTX 1650 Super in raw performance then that is within reason to at least get in the ballpark of a 1650 in raw performance when docked imho.

Not match, but within 15-20% of the performance of a 1650.

And that gap, accounting for console optimization, and also if the SoC is running Lovelace which could help IPC/Thermals/Efficiency, the gap could be shrank in effectiveness at Native Resolution.

The main thing that would hold back the GPU then is clock speeds and Memory bandwidth.

And either way, an almost GTX 1650 running in a system the size of a smallish tablet is insane, and that is before RT Cores and DLSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.