• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thugstas

Banned
Jul 1, 2019
I'm lol'd how they're using as a source the assumptions and opinions they're making over that REDDIT thread that has assumptions and opinions based of some misinterpretation of Era's thread and selling it as if it was what Nate and Z0m3ie said lol.
That "Super Nintendo Switch" and "has a super new name" thing is clearly them reading the Reddit thread where the OP himself said THEY would be replacing Pro with Super Switch because THEY thought it would make sense to call it that way because THEY think it's more of an interactive Succ from what THEY INTERPRETED from what people say here lmao.
Even tho it's funny to even think some people are that desperate for clicks, it's probably not that funny for the insiders due to the unwanted attention, words being put on their mouths or even attacks by assholes of Twitter. I wanna greet z0m3le , NateDrake , Thugstas and the others I'm forgetting rob mention for bringing awesome takes and insights to our community. And also I'm sorry for all the harassment you guys might suffer. And thank you for despite that still being here to speculate with us!!
No harassment... having fun with my little little little contribution.
thx anyway 😉

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I honestly belive they will just go with a higher quality LCD panel. Will pe suprised (in a positive way) if its more.

And the bad articles... i mean nintendo managed to publish a Direct and kinda still have not enough substance to satisfy clickbait- and nintendo focused channels. People are thirsty

Question for the top-tier tech speculators among us: say this new SoC falls somewhere in the range of what folks are imagining in this thread... How feasible would it be for that thing to power a Chromebook/Chrome OS. More specifically, how would it stack up against the Mediatek Helio P60T?

I just learned about the Lenovo Chromebook Duet and it's got me thinking about Nintendo potentially leveraging partnerships to go outside the box and add a different form factor to the Switch family. A variation of that device with the new Switch SoC and dual booted ChromeOS/SwitchOS might not be feasible when all factors are taken into account, but that thing is an insane value at $249 and this hypothetical hybrid could be a pretty compelling entry in that market anywhere near that price. The Chromebook market grew substantially last year and a hardware partnership with a company like Lenovo could serve as a clever trojan horse to bring the Switch platform to a lot of people not necessarily in the market for a gaming device.
Yeah...not gonna happening. how nintendo acted towards all apps that are not games is signal enough. They try to keep their branding clean and not muddy it with "where another multimedia device like all the others". And i honestly dont think it would be a huge benefit, it would need to be more expensive then both, but have disadvantages. Instant wake up and play? no, need to reboot on android/chrome os mode. install a game? eh, space is full with documents and fotos.
wanna reply to a email? wait till you load, save and close the game and then reboot the device.

Try Hyrule Warriors - Age of Calamity's multiplayer coop mode - its 15-20 (?) frames per second take you back to the good old N64 days. I agree, a Super Switch/Switch Pro has to come NOW.

I can't stand waiting 2 minutes to boot up Animal Crossing just to check Turnip prices anymore (a simplistic looking game running at 30fps by the way). I don't even bother to decorate or even enter my house anymore, as it takes 5 seconds every time I enter or leave the house or simply switch rooms - that's the same amount of time it takes to enter the open world beauty of New York City in PS5's Spiderman Miles Morales from the main menu. I just want to play Nintendo games with contemporary image quality, performance and load times.
Yeah... the game was the one that pushed me over "the switch is great" to "the switch is boderline obsolete". The speed, especially for those type of games is ridiculous. it feels worse then almost all 3DS games. It should be a "enter fast to do your daily stuff" game, and not a "i need 30 minutes just to check stuff" game.
Its a chore, the load times are horendes, especially for that simple of a style. its charming. but man, it should not need that long for 30 fps.
And the missing QOL features... but thats a different story.
People already mentioned Age of Calamity, or the last Mario game. The switch is just not strong enough to push contemporary game design on even close to native resolution, and the slow storage and low bandwidth are a double fail in that context. I think just a somewhat faster storage somewhat more bandwidth in the initial release would have most of the problems be way smaller. Then it would be "a new one would be nice, to play the games cleaner / in 60 instead of 30 fps", but as is its such a bottleneck that its "ok, lets hope it gets over 720p docked/it does not fall under 20fps".

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
I think Nintendo may decide to use VR as a key selling point for this new device since now this system will be strong enough to do it an acceptable way and they have a game like Metroid Prime 4 that would do a great job of showing off the new VR improvements.

I think the potential selling points will be
-4K DLSS
-Improved graphical performance
-Improved Battery life
-Better Wifi speeds
-Bigger better screen
-Improved Durability
-Improved Kickstand
-Joy con Pro
-Improved storage
-VR support
-Bluetooth audio
-Faster loading
-Exclusive Software
-Exclusive OS features
-Improved dock
-It looks cool lol!!!

That's what i can think of off the top of my head, but there is a lot that can be improved with the Switch.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hot take: the fact that we haven't heard neither hide nor hair about a Switch Pro from dev sources makes me think that it's not happening. I would anticipate Nintendo's next console being due in 2023, which means this is the last year for a mid-gen upgrade to release. It's the end of February, and all the insider news have been mostly speculation from component suppliers. Considering how many people are developing for the Switch right now and the wickedly high demand for any Ninty hardware news, you would think we would get insiders pointing at a new devkit being out in the wild. Considering that you need the devkit to make Pro-supporting games, and there's no sign of any updated devkits...

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Hot take: the fact that we haven't heard neither hide nor hair about a Switch Pro from dev sources makes me think that it's not happening. I would anticipate Nintendo's next console being due in 2023, which means this is the last year for a mid-gen upgrade to release. It's the end of February, and all the insider news have been mostly speculation from component suppliers. Considering how many people are developing for the Switch right now and the wickedly high demand for any Ninty hardware news, you would think we would get insiders pointing at a new devkit being out in the wild. Considering that you need the devkit to make Pro-supporting games, and there's no sign of any updated devkits...
Someone literally just mentioned it a few pages ago. We have heard hide and hair about it.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Woah... MP4 VR would be... no... dont start to dream... you wil just be dissapointed...

Just looked up how the Trilogy looks. Rather low poly...but the texture work/level design still seems dense/atmospheric. That in VR with a 1-2 gen upgrade would look soooooo gooood. Just thinking... it does not need to be open world, smaller claustrophobic areas work great, so the ares could be more dense/detailed...

on the other hand, if there is NO switch pro...then maybe this will be the point where it pushes me over to play zelda botw2 on an emulator. The first 2 years i thought "how good would a zelda look that is not constrained dby the wii u"... well, going by ninetndos output i now dont expect it to look much better than the first one on switch.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
Since were already all out on the prediction/speculation front, if Nintendo wanted to make the next Switch VR ready (with headset mount), or push easy VR as one of the "gimmicks" for the new system, I wonder how much 1440p screen would affect the production price compared to 1080p screen.. with DLSS and added horsepower I'm guessing VR gaming at 1440p should be possible, and the added resolution would help sell the VR effect quite a bit. I'd imagine Metroid Prime 4 would be a pretty perfect game to launch something like this with, and let's not forget BOTW had Labo VR support, hinting that Nintendo is at least thinking about this stuff and VR mode for the sequel might be possible.

EDIT: Seems like MP4 was just mentioned a few posts earlier as I was typing this lol. Not fully up to date with this topic so apologies for any possible repetition of things already posted.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

. . . Or it means dev kits haven't gone out yet.

Somewhere between the end of April to middle of May we should know if it is out this year and a lot more about the device itself. There are logistical issues that will make something like this impossible to keep hidden by the start of H2.

Right now we have no reason to assume dev kits are out and if they were a small handful of devs would have them.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Since were already all out on the prediction/speculation front, if Nintendo wanted to make the next Switch VR ready (with headset mount), or push easy VR as one of the "gimmicks" for the new system, I wonder how much 1440p screen would affect the production price compared to 1080p screen.. with DLSS and added horsepower I'm guessing VR gaming at 1440p should be possible, and the added resolution would help sell the VR effect quite a bit. I'd imagine Metroid Prime 4 would be a pretty perfect game to launch something like this with, and let's not forget BOTW had Labo VR support, hinting that Nintendo is at least thinking about this stuff and VR mode for the sequel might be possible.
the price i reckon would be the lesser problem, the increased power draw is maybe an aspect that they could be worried about. i mean, for nintendo 1080p VR (PS VR level) would still work, and with the increased power that would mean 90-120 frames on full resolution. that would be "the shit".
I could seen them going with 1440p if it is not that much more expensive. it would not be just a VR feature, its a selling point on its own.

it would push the switch in "retina" teritory and above. To be honest, on the go it could just as well use 720p and integer scaling to conserve battery (pixel art games, emulation,...), and other it could upscale, it would be inpossible to see pixels (and hopefully impossible to see fringes), but what it definitely would mean is that it would be VR ready...and i want that =D
but i would be happy with 1080. its an big enough increase to be able to deliver passable vr, pixels would be almost unseable in normal gameplay, and it would need less power. I dont think we should expect 720p, that seems to low.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
Or....ya know....Nintendo could be having their Ninjas be even tighter on leaks this time around?

Like...well...AFTER THE ACTUAL SHELL OF THE SWITCH LITE WAS LEAKED IN A FULL PICTURE!?

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
. . . Or it means dev kits haven't gone out yet.

Somewhere between the end of April to middle of May we should know if it is out this year and a lot more about the device itself. There are logistical issues that will make something like this impossible to keep hidden by the start of H2.

Right now we have no reason to assume dev kits are out and if they were a small handful of devs would have them.

Does anyone remember how early devs got kits for PS4 Pro or Scorpio? I assume since it's most likely going to be essentially targeting new power profiles for most devs they can keep those pretty close to the chest until a few months before, but not more than that...

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A little off topic, but I didn't wanted to create a new thread for this, and since its kinda related to the pro, I thought it would fit well here.

So I want to finally dive in and buy myself a switch, now the existence of the switch lite makes it tough to choose which I should go for, the regular switch 2019 edition or the lite

My current thinking is that with a pro, or super edition coming out or be announced before the end of the year and not really wanting to wait a whole extra year for that model, I would be better off with a lite, because of a few reasons:

- lite is a cheaper entry, so when the pro comes out I could easier convince myself to buy that model as an additional switch for the home
- the pro will feel much more as an upgrade when starting out with the switch lite, etc.
- and third, to be honest I don't really sit down on the couch to play console games these days anyway, but I really miss the good old Nintendo handheld days.

Is there any obvious flaw in my reasoning for why I should get the regular one instead?

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Thinking about VR... the Headset would need some tracking integrated, dont know how easy it is to do that and comunicate with the switch...

and: it would be THE way to replay some 3DS games if they start to port those.

octorock

Jul 9, 2019
Does anyone remember how early devs got kits for PS4 Pro or Scorpio? I assume since it's most likely going to be essentially targeting new power profiles for most devs they can keep those pretty close to the chest until a few months before, but not more than that...

I have it on fairly good authority that some devs have the new switch kits... or at least some kind of idea of the specs

Thugstas

Banned
Jul 1, 2019
A little off topic, but I didn't wanted to create a new thread for this, and since its kinda related to the pro, I thought it would fit well here.

So I want to finally dive in and buy myself a switch, now the existence of the switch lite makes it tough to choose which I should go for, the regular switch 2019 edition or the lite

My current thinking is that with a pro, or super edition coming out or be announced before the end of the year and not really wanting to wait a whole extra year for that model, I would be better off with a lite, because of a few reasons:

- lite is a cheaper entry, so when the pro comes out I could easier convince myself to buy that model as an additional switch for the home
- the pro will feel much more as an upgrade when starting out with the switch lite, etc.
- and third, to be honest I don't really sit down on the couch to play console games these days anyway, but I really miss the good old Nintendo handheld days.

Is there any obvious flaw in my reasoning for why I should get the regular one instead?
Regular one

octorock

Jul 9, 2019

If you don't mind playing handheld only, i'd say go with the lite. Assuming you will upgrade to the pro or can get a neat special edition later if interested

Aether

Jan 6, 2018

personally i would never chose the lite over the regular one, the smal confort boost in portable is a big negative overal when your not always on the go. smaller battery, not being able to dock hampers multiplayer if you would want to use it (and the fixed joy cons), some fint it rather small -> unconfortable, the screen is slightly smaller, so already small text can really get a problem with some games.

It is way cheaper and a great value, no doubt. and if you really mainly play solo, on the go/in bed and have good eyes there is an argument for a lite.

In short: is battery life importains? Do you want to play in multiplayer? eyesight/holdign confort importaint? regular.
Not so much? just in bed/in a char sitting and gaming, or on the go? less the epic games and more confort food next to a show on the big screen? go with the lite.

Oct 25, 2017
I have it on fairly good authority that some devs have the new switch kits... or at least some kind of idea of the specs
EthicalWelldocumentedBilby-size_restricted.gif

octorock

Jul 9, 2019
How fair is this good authority? This is the first time any of us have heard of new dev kits... I think this would be great to expand upon, if you're willing...
dont want you to spoil any of your contacts but are you hearing its similar to what we are discussing in this thread?

I can't give specifics, but a fairly well known studio is working on a port of their most recent title for the more powerful switch, previous titles have been port but the current switch doesn't have enough power for the most recent.

as for power my contact doesn't have specifics beyond the current hardware wouldn't be able to support the game.

edit: with that said if a mod or someone would like to verify at least some of the information feel free to reach out. I just don't want to say too much for obvious reasons.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017

If you don't want to try out games like ring fit or labo or games which have a badly optimized ui in handheld mode like xenoblade 2 I think you are good to go with the switch lite.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't give specifics, but a fairly well known studio is working on a port of their most recent title for the more powerful switch, previous titles have been port but the current switch doesn't have enough power for the most recent.

as for power my contact doesn't have specifics beyond the current hardware wouldn't be able to support the game.

edit: with that said if a mod or someone would like to verify at least some of the information feel free to reach out. I just don't want to say too much for obvious reasons.
Interesting. I guess that gives us somewhat of a window into whether third parties will be developing pro exclusive projects.

Thanks for sharing

octorock

Jul 9, 2019
Interesting. I guess that gives us somewhat of a window into whether third parties will be developing pro exclusive projects.

Thanks for sharing

its no surprise, nintendo wants as much software as it can get on the system, being portable is a big draw for a lot of people. I'd say a good amount of people would be willing to buy a game twice to have the portable option as well. Off topic but i think this is a big reason we are seeing cross progress with diablo 2.

In addition, while nintendo isn't competing with the other two for power. if they want 3rd party support of big titles they'll need to increase the power a bit for this new generation of titles.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021

By previous titles, do you mean every title? or just a few titles.

As that can widen and narrow the margin of what type of developer we are talking about immensely, and also help temper expectations in case of people expecting it be a developer like Activision or Ubisoft porting stuff like Valhalla or the latest CoD.

I think something we should try to do is temper expectations a bit to prevent wild expectations like "FF7 Remake 1 and 2 to Switch 2021"

Aug 15, 2020

Thanks for sharing
I think a lot of people have been looking at the 3rd party question the wrong way. It's not why would they release games on just the Switch Pro instead of the Switch Pro + Switch, but rather would they want to release a game on the PS4 + PS5 + X1 + XS + PC or all of those + Switch Pro.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

You dont need to verify anything. Don't get yourself in unnecessary trouble.

octorock

Jul 9, 2019

As that can widen and narrow the margin of what type of developer we are talking about immensely, and also help temper expectations in case of people expecting it be a developer like Activision or Ubisoft porting stuff like Valhalla or the latest CoD.

Well they brought their biggest titles to the switch. I'm not sure you'd consider them AAA probably a solid AA studio

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think something we should try to do is temper expectations a bit to prevent wild expectations like "FF7 Remake 1 and 2 to Switch 2021"
I don't think FF7R is a crazy-ass prediction. if anything, it's one of those games I can see a Pro being made specifically to get. the only thing stopping it is Sony paying for long-ass temp exclusivity

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Caught up on a week's worth of posts and just wanted to say I really appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

The difference in battery life between the models is pretty substantial. That's definitely something that should be taken into account with how you intend to use it.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

So you're basically saying they're working on a pro exclusive. This is exciting news indeed. If they're working on a game that can't run on Switch but works on pro the power gap must be big.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
6235591-6759162762-MY1G6.gif

It's starting isn't it ?
As soon as third party companies are starting to get in the know I can't imagine it'll be long before more leaks start happening from various publications.
It doesn't mean much on its own. More like, "Hey... these are our plans right now.... could change but we hope to do this...."

Yes, editor from a random outlet or YT channel, this isn't some earth shattering revelation nor does it require a report.

octorock

Jul 9, 2019
So you're basically saying they're working on a pro exclusive. This is exciting news indeed. If they're working on a game that can't run on Switch but works on pro the power gap must be big.

I'd say keep your fantasies in check, this is nintendo. They're not trying to compete with the other two, i'm sure it'll be a decent upgrade from current but nothing wild. Remember how nintendo handled the transition from 3ds to "New" 3ds? I think we'll see something very similar, with a lot of first parties able to run on both for a bit.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
Either that or it's unoptimized AF.

But I do wonder if we can make a list of developers that fit in those terms .
  • Have the majority or all of their major previous titles on Switch already, but not their latest.
  • Have that latest game have some reason for it to require the boost in hardware, even if it's something as simple as memory bandwidth to be considered as a Switch Revision Exclusive.
    • Note, like what NateDrake said, this is a consideration of this developer at the last moment octorock checked in it seems. So whatever this title is, it could very well find itself back on the OG Switches, but in a more parred back form.
  • The developer isn't one you'd consider one of the bigger ones, so much so some could consider it "AA" rather than AAA.
To be honest, I don't think 4A Games with Metro Exodus is on that list, as I mentioned in a previous reply.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't mean much on its own. More like, "Hey... these are our plans right now.... could change but we hope to do this...."

Yes, editor from a random outlet or YT channel, this isn't some earth shattering revelation nor does it require a report.

BRB, making 30 minutes youtube video dissecting every word you just said.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say keep your fantasies in check, this is nintendo. They're not trying to compete with the other two, i'm sure it'll be a decent upgrade from current but nothing wild. Remember how nintendo handled the transition from 3ds to "New" 3ds? I think we'll see something very similar, with a lot of first parties able to run on both for a bit.
Yeah, Nintendo has made it pretty clear that they intend to support the Switch 1 for a while longer with Splatoon 3, but I expect major exclusives will start showing up from them by the end of 2023 or so.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017

Gonna assume that those talks also involve Nintendo actually giving some kind of timeframe for when the device should be released but this is all probably very vague and likely to change at this point
Still exciting though if they're talking to partners because that could mean some exciting third party "pro" exclusives.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

I think your reasoning is pretty sound tbh. I'd go with the Lite and then get the Pro late 2021/early 2022 if you can.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

I'm in a pretty similar spot, I sold my Switch last year and want to buy a new one. I also was thinking about regular Switch vs lite, but ultimately I have decided to go for the regular Switch. My reasons:

- Screen size. I was able to try out both the regular and lite Switch, and I think the screen of the Switch lite is too small. Some games are fine, especially classic 2D handheld games, but games like Zelda: BotW simply don't feel that good, because text and objects are too small. It's much better on the regular Switch and of course even better on TV. You can kind of see this in videos on YouTube:

- Joy-con drift. Still a problem and much easier to handle on regular Switch because you don't have to send in the whole console and you can even buy new Joy-cons if necessary.

- Perfomance. Handheld mode already has quite dramatic disadvantages in new games, for example Bowser's fury from the new Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's fury bundle only runs at 30 fps in handheld mode, but 60fps in docked mode on TV. I suspect this will happen more often in the future.

Regarding your points:

Imo this kind of makes sense if you give the lite to another family member, but if you plan to use both for yourself, I wouldn't recommend it. I read mostly bad things about having two Switches, like, manually needing to download saves and stuff like that. It's much easier to just use one Switch. Also you could still sell the regular Switch when the Pro comes out.

Possibly, but I think the Pro will be aimed at owners of the regular Switch, so I imagine it will still be a great upgrade for those people.

I also thought about that, but it really bothered me that if I buy the Lite, I don't have a choice. If I buy the Switch Lite, I will never be able to use it on a TV. And I think that's one of the great things about the regular Switch, that you have a choice. You can use it on a TV, but also as a handheld. And it's not a worse handheld than the Switch Lite, just a different one with it's own advantages like a bigger screen, better battery and features like rumble.

Last edited:

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

One thing I would definitely keep in mind regarding the 'good old Nintendo handheld days' is that few if any Switch games feel like they were made for a handheld.

Games like Link's Awakening and Mario Land were designed to be played on a small screen. BotW and Odyssey... not so much. Obviously you can still have fun with them on a Lite but personally I'd never play them in handheld mode any time I could play them docked with a Pro controller.

And there's a lot of games that feel like the devs didn't consider handheld mode at all. It's common for UIs to look nearly illegibly tiny in handheld mode. The opposite is true too, there's games where the UI seems comically huge when played on a TV because it's made to be readable in docked mode. You may want to seek out impressions of the specific games you're interested in.

Other considerations: this is subjective but the Lite's ergonomics felt terrible to me. I bought the Satisfye grip, which made using the system far more comfortable, but it also makes it a lot bulkier which to me ruined a bit of the Lite's appeal.

Also, owning multiple Switches is a mess. If you're thinking about retaining the Lite as a secondary handheld after getting a Pro I'd suggest forgetting that plan. Unless Nintendo drastically changes how cloud saves and accounts work it's just not worth the hassle. I bought a Lite on a whim thinking I'd use it that way and ended up giving it to my wife after about a week.

The ideas of fooling yourself into thinking the Pro is a bigger upgrade and making it easier to convince yourself to buy one seem a bit ridiculous, but you do you.

Status
Not open for further replies.