Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Holy shit. This trailer really impressed me.

Looks better than Bloodstained as a SOTN spiritual successor. (IMO)

Edit: I guess it's on Gamepass if you have that.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I thought this thread was going to be about a sequel for Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth.

Bummer.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
It looks good! I honestly wouldn't have thought it was thaaat much like SOTN if not for that walk cycle and jump animation + ghosting it honestly looks traced to it.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Beat it on Gamepass. Really into it. I'll copy and paste my Backloggd review:

What a surprise! Really feels like a throwback to old Castlevania days. Great music, tight gameplay, and a story I can't follow because I'm an idiot.

It's a tad short, I believe I clocked in around 5.5 hours to clear it. Also, it's very easy. I think I died twice on one boss and never died again. The overhead swinging weapons are just way too good. Magic is also OP as hell.

But still, the tight gameplay and lovely visuals elevate it above other games in the genre for me. While short, I appreciate that sometimes. In and out in a weekend. Good stuff.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
also check out their other joint Touhou luna nights just as good!

TeamLadyBug just on it.

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
Beat it on Gamepass. Really into it. I'll copy and paste my Backloggd review:

What a surprise! Really feels like a throwback to old Castlevania days. Great music, tight gameplay, and a story I can't follow because I'm an idiot.

It's a tad short, I believe I clocked in around 5.5 hours to clear it. Also, it's very easy. I think I died twice on one boss and never died again. The overhead swinging weapons are just way too good. Magic is also OP as hell.

But still, the tight gameplay and lovely visuals elevate it above other games in the genre for me. While short, I appreciate that sometimes. In and out in a weekend. Good stuff.

Had no idea it was on GP. Thanks for the heads up!

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Nothing wrong with that!

I bought the Lodoss War Blu-ray set this past year. I watched the OVAs for the first time (they were good, not amazing IMO) but didn't dive into the TV series yet. Is it worth my time?
I found the TV show to be bleh and only ever seen that opinion of it. The intro song and animation is incredible though.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Almost every shot, the screen is vibrating. WHY!? I would have been sold if the screen didn't vibrate at the simplest of actions.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Been holding out for this to play on Switch since PC early access. Supposedly it has lots of slowdown and hitching in that version…ugh.

Nothing wrong with that!

I bought the Lodoss War Blu-ray set this past year. I watched the OVAs for the first time (they were good, not amazing IMO) but didn't dive into the TV series yet. Is it worth my time?

I liked the TV show at the time, but it was decades ago…not sure it holds up. It wasn't as good as the OVA's but it was serviceable. Legendary OP theme for the TV show though, remember loving that the most.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
it's amazing they managed to find the one other character in fiction that has that alucard-level cape swag

Sonoran Dog

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I tried it out on PC Game Pass but there was constant slowdown kicking in every thirty seconds or so that made it unplayable. Hopefully whatever the issue is gets fixed, because the game itself seemed neat and I love me some Lodoss War.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I wouldnt mind giving it a go if there is an easy mode. I dont have a hope in hell of beating it on normal.

Anyone know if you can select the difficulty?

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
I tried it out on PC Game Pass but there was constant slowdown kicking in every thirty seconds or so that made it unplayable. Hopefully whatever the issue is gets fixed, because the game itself seemed neat and I love me some Lodoss War.

I had this issue. Was it a tutorial thing? It happened when I was having pop-ups.

venom slime

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Just tried this for a bit. Feels great to play! I have no knowledge of this universe though. My only reference is that old Dreamcast game, and I remember very little of it.

OP
OP
Maligna

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just tried this for a bit. Feels great to play! I have no knowledge of this universe though. My only reference is that old Dreamcast game, and I remember very little of it.

I had that game. I believe it's worth quite a bit now but I sold it like a year after I bought it. Darn.

Didn't it play sort of like Diablo?

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I wouldn't compare it to SOTN aside the walk animation, the game is really short (even more than luna night), with barely any explorations and it's reaaaally easy! It's still good for a free game on gamepass but i was a bit disappointed honestly (did it on PC at release)

I liked luna night a lot from the same dev but this one was just passable to me

Sonoran Dog

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I had this issue. Was it a tutorial thing? It happened when I was having pop-ups.

It continued past the tutorial for me (at least I think I was past it, I stopped having pop-ups). I thought it was a very awkward mechanic to highlight the tutorial as well, but it kept on going. Looking online, it seems like others are having the same issue. No idea what's causing it.

venom slime

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
I had that game. I believe it's worth quite a bit now but I sold it like a year after I bought it. Darn.

Didn't it play sort of like Diablo?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I recall. I was very little. The game scared me a bit back then... Now that I think about it, there was this thing where your character's footsteps were very noisy throughout.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Playing on XBGP. It's great, but what is with devs mapping attack to A and jump to B? Had to remap that immediately!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot! It isn't all that similar to SOTN other than comparably pleasant controls and cool capes, imo. More linear, less sprawling level design, and it's all in all fairly straightforward by comparison. Still great fun, however, and it certainly evokes the feeling of controlling Alucard.

ffframe

alt account
Banned
Nov 29, 2021
Didn't know it was on GP but have always been interested in passing. Installing now! Thanks for the reminder, folks!

The fact that it's short is perfect.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
My impression of this and Touhou Luna Nights is that the devs would be better served playing to their strengths by making linear action games, since the Metroidvania trappings are just going through the motions, but they are quite nice looking and have some killer boss battles.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Nothing wrong with that!

OVA is much better also the art and animation dives off a cliff for the TV series

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
This looks really good and I love Lodoss War. But I didn't really hit it off with Bloodstained, which was the last game in this genre I tried. I thought I would be fine with these types of games after Shantae but maybe it's not the genre for me :(

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Playing it on game pass, really good so far.

I watched the OVAs in my early teens late night on tv, so I am pretty nostalgic towards Lodoss and Deedlit.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
This looks really good and I love Lodoss War. But I didn't really hit it off with Bloodstained, which was the last game in this genre I tried. I thought I would be fine with these types of games after Shantae but maybe it's not the genre for me :(
Yeah Bloodstained isn't very good. They really shouldn't have gone with a 2.5D look. Game looks horrible because of it. Monster design is abysmal too.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
I started this a few days ago and liked it.

I also watched the two shows on VHS and read the manga which the second show is based on, or vice versa, many moons ago. The manga sits on the shelf right behind me as I am typing this. :D

PlayerReady

Oct 31, 2017
Thinking on getting it on Switch but the too easy and short game comments holding me back. Does it have much replayability?

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Yeah Bloodstained isn't very good. They really shouldn't have gone with a 2.5D look. Game looks horrible because of it. Monster design is abysmal too.

You're the first post I recall reading to state this. Reading impressions here on Era is what got me to give it a shot.

Maybe it isn't me then! lol

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, looks pretty sweet. Just downloaded it on GP; thanks for posting this, or I'd have never known about it!

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I've played it and gorgeous pixel art character animation aside, its not that interesting. It's not bad, but evoking SOTN alone isn't enough to make a good metroidvania.

1599980643942.gif

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I guess pants weren't in the budget.

I honestly thought I was looking at SotN when the video started.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not as good as SotN but it is beautiful and I enjoyed it as a Lodoss fan.

I recommend everyone to check out the other game from the same developer which is even better, Touhou Luna Nights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maligna

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I guess pants weren't in the budget.

I honestly thought I was looking at SotN when the video started.

It's a design from an 80's high fantasy anime. If they tried to change her design people would probably riot. Haha.

Come to think of it. Does anyone know, has Deedlit ever had any other costume/outfit? I don't think she has.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Does it actually have leveling, equipment to swap out and different weapons? (The things that should make a Metroidvania and Metroidvania, but too often they're just Metroid-likes)