• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A high school basketball team in Minnesota has come under fire — and is now pulling out of a tournament scheduled for Martin Luther King Jr. Day — after its fans displayed a "Trump 2020" flag during a game against predominantly black inner-city kids.

"Please explain how and why this is appropriate at a high school basketball game?" wrote coach Michael Walker, of Minneapolis Roosevelt High School, in a Facebook caption last Wednesday following the game against Jordan High School.

The post was accompanied by a photo showing a group of Jordan fans who — aside from the one black student sitting off to the side — are all white and displaying the "Trump 2020: Keep America Great!" flag.

"I coach a predominantly black inner city high school team," Walker said. "We go out to a rural area in Jordan, MN and this is there."

According to the Star Tribune, Roosevelt's team had been causing an uproar on social media for choosing to remain in their locker room during the playing of the national anthem at home and away games.

"The Jordan team was made aware of that practice before the game," said Minneapolis schools spokesman Dirk Tedmon.

The mother who owned the Trump flag, Bridget Kahn, told the Tribune that her son and his classmates were simply "supporting their president."

"They don't have a racist bone in their body," she said.

The Jordan school district's superintendent didn't care, though, and later released a statement condemning the flag stunt — and calling for an investigation.

"[District officials] regret that Roosevelt players and their coaching staff, fans and community were made to feel uncomfortable, as it is always our intent to graciously host our opponents," said superintendent Matt Helgerson, according to the Tribune. "[The district is] reviewing this matter and collecting information [and] working cooperatively with the Minneapolis School District and Roosevelt High School in our review and response to this event."

Teenagers, not kids, know what they are fucking doing when they pull this shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Teenager's know what they are doing, and they don't give a fuck.

The mother who owned the Trump flag, Bridget Kahn, told the Tribune that her son and his classmates were simply "supporting their president."

I'm sorry, but what?

Even if this is "honest", why would you "show support for your president" at a high school basketball game?

Like... c'mon.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's just pretend for a second here that's she's being honest and truthful with this statement. How does that make it any less fucking bizzare and inapproriate? Why do you think a highschool basketball game is the place to show your support for your president? I can't get over how fucking weird it is that people think like that. That's such a weridly American thing, your president doesn't need your support at a school sports game.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
It's like when fans of some bum fuck white bread school chant Build the Wall when they're playing some predominantly black team.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously Trump is playing Highschool Basketball for the team, why else would they wave his flag there.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Don't have a racist bone in their body"

Funny how no one said they were, it was only implied, but it's their go to defense? 🤔

Last edited:

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
These are no longer the "innocent" days of 2015/16 when dumbasses were able to project whatever feelings they had onto Trump to argue that he was actually moderate or whatever. It's 2019. When you wear a MAGA hat or fly a Trump banner you know the score and might as well be wearing a Klan hood or flying a Confederate Flag.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This feels like they were doing this to troll and didn't put it together that that's not a great idea

Like normally showing support for your president during stuff is generally fine but you really gotta read the room

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not subtext, people don't wave around political flags at a children's sporting event.

It's blatant dog whistling

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Just so happened to want to support your president playing against an inner-city school. They think by waving the flag of a white supremacist president that it will rattle the inner-city team enough that they won't be able to focus on the game. Hope they all get banned from any future events.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"They don't have a racist bone in their body," she said.
tenor.gif

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This happens? JFC humanity
The CoCath sports teams chant "we're going to college" when they play predominantly black teams. They're photographed at basketball games with students in full body black paint, with students from the audience harassing a black opposing team member.

That's the school of MAGA hat wearing teenagers who swam and square off against an approaching Native American elder and Vietnam vet playing a drum.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Crazy after all the shit he's pulling, people support him.

It's like they've been brainwashed to believe his outlook as a leader is okay.

Not mad at the team at all.

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Was the team involved? Because if not it sucks for the players to get in trouble for their dumb fans. I've been there before its not a good feeling.

That said I still think the right decision was made because that was a stupid stunt and they knew what they were doing.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Don't have a racist bone in their body? I call bullshit. If you support Trump you support a racist which makes you just as bad.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This happens? JFC humanity
Oh sure. I saw several high schools in WV bring rebel flags and such to basketball or football games when they were playing a predominately black team. Their parents and teachers/coaches allow it because "They're just having fun!" It's pathetic, and one of the exhaustive number of reasons I'm glad I'm not living there anymore.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
At this point, the primary purpose of Trump paraphernalia isn't even campaign-related, it's to flaunt racism and other regressive policies in everyone's faces.

MAGA hats are just white hoods made in China.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man, we live in a country where just displaying our president's name sends an implicit yet clear message to nonwhites. goddammit.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Oh sure. I saw several high schools in WV bring rebel flags and such to basketball or football games when they were playing a predominately black team. Their parents and teachers/coaches allow it because "They're just having fun!" It's pathetic, and one of the exhaustive number of reasons I'm glad I'm not living there anymore.
I grew up in West Virginia and I never even saw a rebel flag until I got to college, and then we made fun of the guy who hung it in his dorm room and nicknamed him "Country Fuck." Now my Facebook is full of "Heritage Not Hate" and such from people who never left the state.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It's very clear white supremacist messaging, and I wish the media would acknowledge it instead of this "alleged racism" nonsense
The problem is when it's complicated.

Now, it's not always complicated, but I was out yesterday and saw middle schoolers in MAGA hats.

I don't think they're racist. Of course, that mean we'd have to start having a difficult conversation about parents indoctrinating their children. And I also realize that there's not much distance between a kid wearing a MAGA hat just like he wears his dad's football jersey and a budding alt-right high schooler mainlining PDP and Logan Paul videos.

Whatever you want to call it, the seductive radicalization of white men is something few people are equipped to speak about.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck when teens are not even cheering for the teams playing, but advertising Trump 2020 to piss off the other players

Oct 27, 2017
fl
as a white dude this makes me sick. pence knew what he was doing, these teenagers knew what they were doing, and im sure that mom egged it on.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I grew up in West Virginia and I never even saw a rebel flag until I got to college, and then we made fun of the guy who hung it in his dorm room and nicknamed him "Country Fuck." Now my Facebook is full of "Heritage Not Hate" and such from people who never left the state.
Considering that West Virginia wouldn't even be a state if it hasn't broken off to stay in the Union, it's beyond idiotic.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't "simply" support the president without having a racist bone in your body. Doesn't work that way with Trump.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Considering that West Virginia wouldn't even be a state if it hasn't broken off to stay in the Union, it's beyond idiotic.
Don't give West Virginia too much credit. The original state constitution said that no black people, slave or free, were to be within the borders, but that had to be changed to allow WV into the Union. I believe Oregon also had such language in its constitution.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Let's just pretend for a second here that's she's being honest and truthful with this statement. How does that make it any less fucking bizzare and inapproriate? Why do you think a highschool basketball game is the place to show your support for your president? I can't get over how fucking weird it is that people think like that. That's such a weridly American thing, your president doesn't need your support at a school sports game.
It's weird because it's not actually a thing. They have an ulterior motive.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's only a matter of time till someone goes to a Black person's funeral with a Trump flag or MAGA hat and then proceed to spout this same bullshit. Fucking idiots

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, really!? That's pretty incredible. They were all over where I lived. In fact, multiple people at my high school had one or two on the back of their shitty truck lol. But I will agree it has definitely become more obvious/accepted I've noticed when I go to visit my parents. Thankfully they're leaving the state too as soon as my dad retires, for reasons very similar to my own.

We also had someone do that in our dorm (actually one of my three roommates) and he was black. He said he thought it was funny and was a true symbol of his heritage. I just.... ignored him. Like, what could I possibly say to him to change his mind? It's always funny to me though when WV natives say it's part of their heritage. Uh, WV was in the Union, ya chucklekfucks. :eyeroll:

Don't give West Virginia too much credit. The original state constitution said that no black people, slave or free, were to be within the borders, but that had to be changed to allow WV into the Union. I believe Oregon also had such language in its constitution.

Yeah, that's true too, I suppose. It's just dumb. I'd wager 95% of the people waving that flag in WV think they were in the Confederacy, still.

It's a shame, because it's a beautifully scenic state. Winter and Fall can be downright gorgeous in the mountains. Fuck most of the people, though, as most of them are racist, misogynist, homophobic and frequently a mix of all three plus more. I won't even get into how horrifically corrupt the political system is there.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

And it's not a thing,

You can be 100% sure the GOP and Fox News is schools were doing Obama or Clinton Banners during games.

SWoS

Oct 29, 2017
UK

Maybe racist tendencies aren't stored in your bones. That's science.