• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
I've been watching Batman movies again off course all of them yes including Joel Schumacher no matter how clumsy and bad they are i love it. But most notably the Nolan movies watching Begins and The Dark Knight really gives me that feeling of humanity of a man who uses his power not only to fight crime but also solve it.

I did not read a lot of comics, not even today but the Batman of 1989 made a huge fan also the animated series off course, still to this day i wondered if we could ever play the batman. Using his gadgets, his cunning and smart thinking. In that regard i'm still a huge batman fan, i've always been that for as long i can remember.

When Batman Arkham Asylum came out in 2009, it took me by surprise like everyone did. Here was a game that sold the foundation of something to me that i always wanted.

The moment the game opened up

I knew this was going to something not only special but also one of those games that will legs beyond on how superhero games should be and that you the player should feel being that hero. Lots of games tried and failed and here comes a new studio Rocksteady putting a game out that went above and beyond we never could expect.

I bough the game on Xbox 360 first but later the PC version witch off course looked and played for better. What took my by surprise was the voice acting done by the originals of the animated series both Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy representing there roles.

Batman Arkham City went even further than the first one.

In Arkham City you went after Hugo Strange but there was a twist off course since Asylum the joker used titan and he became sick same thing happened to batman to find a cure. What to me the most fun i had was the improved fighting being a huge huge city to explore, the numerous references of all comics and even the movies. I did like the parts also to play as Catwoman. I fought countless of hours wave after wave in those challenges. I loved City as much as the first one at this point Rocksteady was a foothold on the hero game genre.

Before Arkham Knight became out Arkham Origins was made by a studio from WB themself. First i was hesitated because off course this wasn't made by Rocksteady.

But the game took me by surprise with some very fun fighting but also engaging story seeing how Bane has become for example, but also the clown was there i loved the winter look, they improved some things from City. Since rocksteady to my knowledge was providing consultancy towards the team of WB they did it very good.

And when Arkham Knight was announced i was pretty excited, the initial release of the PC version was a mess, we all know that. Lots of negatives on how the PC version was undermined. And yes it was indeed a terrible from the start, it went so bad they took it down. 2 Months later at most i think they brought it back to Steam but the negative news had been settled on how not mess around a PC version.

So yeah i did not touch this game for nearly two years but now i'm played it on my brand new PC i bought this summer, enjoying the game in full glory with 141fps in G-Sync along with my GTX1080.

First i hated the batmobile but now it is growing on me, i mean it is the goddamn batmobile. WB and there DLC practices are still the worst even today but i gotta admit the fan service in this game went for the extra mile. All batmobiles, costumes are in the game from all games and movies witch to me is fantastic.

I wanted to share it with you guys because i posted a tweet about it and it got me thinking at my work.

To me no other superhero comes close then this one, i do hope rocksteady is making another great superhero game witch like i said empowers you to be that hero.

Hope you guys like my little story and please share yours!

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I do agree, but, I don't feel the games following Asylum were THAT good. Asylum was just on a whole other level.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
inFamous 2. It has the best combat and traversal system out of any super hero games I've played.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I still think Infamous 2 is my favorite super hero game overall. Game feel is just too good.

Licensed Super Hero game Batmans trilogy can't be topped (Spiderman is gonna kill, though). Still need to play City and Knight.

Oct 25, 2017
A bummer that the last 3 games were pretty same-y but they're pretty good.
Wonder what's taking Rocksteady so long for their next game

ReverseFate

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I found City and Knight to be fairly mediocre. Really didn't like either of them that much, and I've absolutely loved Asylum.

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
inFamous 2. It has the best combat and traversal system out of any super hero games I've played.

Tried the first game and thought it was fucking horrible. No hyperbole. The controls and camera were something outta N64. Visuals, art-direction, and mostly everything else were so poor, it killed my interest. Did the series magically turn better after it?

On topic, Batman Arkham City is probably my favorite superhero game. I still have AK wrapped, but I want to give it a try.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want a good Superman game :/ will it ever happen? I know he is OP but it should be possible to make a good Superman game right?

Oct 27, 2017
arkham asylum was the peak of the series, arkham city was kinda boring, and arkham knight used wayyyyy too much batmobile

overall the series is still pretty damn good compared to other hero titles

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping Insomniac's Spider-Man changes that.

Not because of any ill will towards Batman or the Arkham series, which I love. Just because Spider-Man is my favorite superhero and a fantastic Spider-Man game is long overdue.

OP
OP
Nokterian

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
What i like most with Knight is the improved fighting i love love the multi fear takedown.

Oh i also forgot, killer croc's lair was something that scared me and that doesn't happen often.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Tried the first game and thought it was fucking horrible. No hyperbole. The controls and camera were something outta N64. Visuals, art-direction, and mostly everything else were so poor, it killed my interest. Did the series magically turn better after it?
Yeah, graphically inFamous 2 is way better. Even the setting's art direction has a different tone from the originals dark/grainy look. Controls are pretty similar, but with different powers to mix and match making the traversal system feel smooth and flow a lot better. Only thing the first game has over the second one is the story. Prefer it over Batman's battle system which just feels repetitive and boring to me. :|

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Sad that the DCEU went from a Batman that resembled this to a Batman who can barely hold his own in a fight...

Besides that, I think Arkhambats is the quintessential video game super hero....for now. With the ever increasing advancements in tech, it's only a matter of time before someone dethrones him. I'm just glad we got Spider-Man, Avengers Project, and whatever Rocksteady and WB Montreal are working on to keep us comicbook video game guys happy.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asylum and City are great games and some of the only AAA titles I enjoy. Asylum had better map design, but City improved the boss fights and had great side content (love the Mad Hatter and Hush quests). Not a fan of Origins as it feels like a poor DLC level pack and never played Knight.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe so... I think I prefer Infamous 2, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily better. Honestly none of them are great. Hopefully Spider-man can be the next step.

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I agree. Assylum, City and Origins are fucking amazing. Shame about Knight, so much wasted potential to be one of the best games of all time.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Arkham Knight was one of my biggest disappointments. I'm a huge Batman nerd and I've been with the Arkham series since day 0.

Not only the PC version was one of the worst ports at launch the game was farily mediocre and it shoved the Battank in your face way too much.

It's pretty to look at and it has QOL changes but most of the game's design or missions all are made with the Batmobile in mind. It's awful. Even most of the bosses are drone battles.

Who had the ideea that Batman shoud fight the great Deathstroke in a fucking tank? Seriously?

The story was also pretty lame and predictable with one of the most dissapotiing reveals and use of antagonist.

While Origins gets it's share of flank for being a bit buggy at launch and too similar to Arkham CIty it's a much better desinged game then Knight is for the most part.

It has superior pacing, story, writing, characters, much better boss fights and a fairly good soundtrack and a fantastic x-mas atmosphere.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'll also raise you Saints Row 4. Yes the story is really ridiculous and silly, but for sheer outright fun with superpowers and traversing the environment it doesn't get much better.

I love Asylum and Arkham City for the most part. I just couldn't get into Arkham Knight.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
IMO it's second best :) Nothing beats Freedom Force series
on-the-irrationality-of-freedom-force-gamings-forgotten-superhero-series-145-body-image-1435058144.jpg

OP
OP
Nokterian

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
Arkham Knight was one of my biggest disappointments. I'm a huge Batman nerd and I've been with the Arkham series since day 0.

Not only the PC version was one of the worst ports at launch the game was farily mediocre and it shoved the Battank in your face way too much.

It's pretty to look at and it has QOL changes but most of the game's design or missions all are made with the Batmobile in mind. It's awful. Even most of the bosses are drone battles.

Who had the ideea that Batman shoud fight the great Deathstroke in a fucking tank? Seriously?

The story was also pretty lame and predictable with one of the most dissapotiing reveals and use of antagonist.

While Origins gets it's share of flank for being a bit buggy at launch and too similar to Arkham CIty it's a much better desinged game then Knight is for the most part.

It has superior pacing, story, writing, characters, much better boss fights and a fairly good soundtrack and a fantastic x-mas atmosphere.

Indeed Origins is very underrated more people should play it.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
It's hard to disagree. I remember playing Arkham Asylym demo over and over to experience that predator segment. It all flowed so well, the combat and stealth.

I think City is my favourite for the adjustments it made to the combat and enhanced skope. And playable Catwoman.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Its Knight really that bad? Im a big fan of the Arkham series (pre-purchase all of them on Steam back in the day at full price) and one of the games that got me more excited in laters years for building a new PC certainly its Arkham Knight.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah, one of my favorite series of all time. The only one I wasn't in love with was Origins, but it was still solid.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your not wrong, by far the best examples of feeling like a Hero.

Even Spiderman is taking notes from Rocksteadys fantastic mechanics.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Love Arkham Asylum and City.
Liked what I played of Arkham Knight but didn't finish it because of all the jump-scares.

Best superhero games are Gravity Rush and Gravity Rush 2 though.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I always find it weird when people say Asylum was better than City. Outside of some avoidable bloat with the Riddler Trophies I felt City was way better designed in all ways. Asylum was too constrictive to how you handled enemy encounters, the gadgets were all relatively lame, the bosses were all trash and all of that extra Joker content is trapped on the PlayStation 3 version. City just adds so much to all of the original's mechanics and brought in the extended gliding abilities, which just takes the experience to a whole nother level.

Knight kind of just sucks but I had fun with it. Origins is technically the worst game but the story and presentation is the best.

OP
OP
Nokterian

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
Its Knight really that bad? Im a big fan of the Arkham series (pre-purchase all of them on Steam back in the day at full price) and one of the games that got me more excited in laters years for building a new PC certainly its Arkham Knight.

It is a mixed bag for a lot of people, to much batmobile..i tend to agree with that and also bigger is better. But overall i like the story and the improved gadgets,fighting system. Just the whole appeal is really getting me now, since my new PC i can test a lot of things my last PC couldn't do.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I agree! Arkham games are some of the best games I've ever played.

I hope Spider-Man takes the throne back!

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Arkham Asylum and Origins
Wolverine Origins
Ultimate Alliance and Legends 1 and 2
Cap Super Soldier for the Wii

Those are the ultimate superhero games.

Now, gimme Superman's Wrath by Cyberconnect2 and Shin Megami Tensei: Teen Titans and I'll be at peace forever.

OP
OP
Nokterian

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
I always find it weird when people say Asylum was better than City. Outside of some avoidable bloat with the Riddler Trophies I felt City was way better designed in all ways. Asylum was too constrictive to how you handled enemy encounters, the gadgets were all relatively lame, the bosses were all trash and all of that extra Joker content is trapped on the PlayStation 3 version. City just adds so much to all of the original's mechanics and brought in the extended gliding abilities, which just takes the experience to a whole nother level.

Knight kind of just sucks but I had fun with it. Origins is technically the worst game but the story and presentation is the best.

City indeed improved on the basis of Asylum did and that's why i loved it more.

OP
OP
Nokterian

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland

On topic, Batman Arkham City is probably my favorite superhero game. I still have AK wrapped, but I want to give it a try.

Go play it still a great game.