• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
inFamous 2 is at the top for me, then Arkham Knight.
After that it's Spiderman 2, Wolverine Origins and Saints Row 4.

And that's basically it outside of stuff like Marvel Vs Capcom or Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I only played half of Arkham City and all of Arkham Knight.

Is it worth grabbing the collection for Asylum/City on PS4, or is it still a shitty port?

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love the Batmobile in Knight, it was fun to play with.
Asylum is still my favorite but I also love Origins. Christmas Gotham is the best.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not forget The Adventures of Batman & Robin for the Genesis. It's fucking hard, though.

maxresdefault.jpg

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Definitely the best. Excellent combat and pretty good stories. I especially loved Arkham City's story, and holy shit that ending!

Gotta say again, I love the combat. Racking up those 100+ hit combos in a flawless run always feels good.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asylum was awesome.

The other games will only age worse and worse as people grow tired of open-world bloat/sprawl.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gravity Rush is my favorite superhero game.

But Asylum and City are great. Haven't played Origins or Knight.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Asylum was awesome.

The other games will only age worse and worse as people grow tired of open-world bloat/sprawl.

That's why I love Arkham City so much. It was open, but still relatively small. It was the perfect combo of enough open space to fly around, with well-designed interior areas like the Steel Mill, Museum, and the Subways.

Arkham Knight made the mistake of going really big and open, with very few well designed interior areas.

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
The Batman games are probably the best action-adventure hero games and certainly the best looking out there but I still have a soft-spot for Marvel Ultimate Alliance as a hero game.

As someone that was a casual comic-book fan it was first and foremost a fun game. However it was a brilliant gateway into the whole of the Marvel Universe introducing the more niche characters, locations, history and discovering the hero teams by mixing and matching teams. Just wandering around and speaking to Vision taught me so much about the backstories and bigger story-arcs to that time that it felt like I getting an encyclopaedia as well as a game. The whole thing felt like a passion project and not a quickly knocked out game.

Arkham City also deserves a lot of praise for letting you have all the equipment at once and not coming up with some bull to knock you back to a single bit of equipment. For the first game that trope made sense, but doing it with the 2nd would have cheapened it.

Origins takes some deserved hits, but it was also the first game I played when I got my GTX680 and was able to play with everything on ultra including the snow physics which coming straight from a 360 was a revelation. So I may have a fondness for it that others perhaps won't.

Za0wRnE.jpg

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I only played half of Arkham City and all of Arkham Knight.

Is it worth grabbing the collection for Asylum/City on PS4, or is it still a shitty port?

It's a decent port. There's some framerate issues while flying around the open areas of Arkham City though (these are largely gone on PS4 Pro though). Asylum is a great port though.

There's some character designs slightly different though because of the re-worked textures, but it's really not too big a problem unless you're comparing it side-by-side with the originals.

The devs who did the remaster (Virtuous) also did the Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remasters.

Blabadon

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Tried the first game and thought it was fucking horrible. No hyperbole. The controls and camera were something outta N64. Visuals, art-direction, and mostly everything else were so poor, it killed my interest. Did the series magically turn better after it?

On topic, Batman Arkham City is probably my favorite superhero game. I still have AK wrapped, but I want to give it a try.
The first game is everything you described. It's really horrible.

The second and third may not be great but they're at least not trash fires.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed they are, Rocksteady have set a pretty high bar in terms of quality.

I can see the Spiderman game getting some solid reviews when it finally lands, and maybe Marvel can catch a break with that other Avengers game in development.

Oct 25, 2017
Asylum and Origins are top-notch. I'm not a fan of City or Knight, as the stories really became too convoluted for their own good. City especially, good lord the story was awful. They used the Mortal Kombat Annihilation playbook and just threw everyone in there regardless of how little it made sense.

Personally my favorite superhero game of all time is still Maximum Carnage.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Flawless trilogy, from Asylum to Knight. Not sure about Origins, never played it.
But these games challenged what I thought was impossible; much like movie tie-ins, before AA, I legit thought hero games were never going to live up to their potential. I'm glad I was proven wrong.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Asylum was good. City was great. After that they kind of lost thier impact but still a fantastic series over all.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Asylum was really the only exceptional one to me. They're all really good for superhero games though.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played them too much and got burned out, hoping Rocksteady make big strides with a new formula.

Asylum blew me away, came out of nowhere for me, didn't follow development, trailers, just a demo when people started talking it up. I was Batman and could do cool stuff. The stealth and stalking is simplistic but when it was fresh, very cool.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love them too. I haven't played Origins though.

I didn't mind the Batmobile stuff in Knight either. When I played it I was like, "What's everyone mad about?"

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Two pages in and no one mentioned Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction?

Ya'll lame; Hulk is still top 10, easy.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hulk ultimate destruction was amazing to play back in the day. It was my favorite even when I played asylum. I don' know if it holds up

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed OP, mostly by default. They feature the most fully-realized superhero in any video game.

Agreed. Tight as hell level design was sacrificed for an open world.
Arkham Asylum's level design wasn't special at all though. City, Origins and Knight all have instances of stronger, more creative level design.

Oct 25, 2017
The Batman games are probably the best action-adventure hero games and certainly the best looking out there but I still have a soft-spot for Marvel Ultimate Alliance as a hero game.

As someone that was a casual comic-book fan it was first and foremost a fun game. However it was a brilliant gateway into the whole of the Marvel Universe introducing the more niche characters, locations, history and discovering the hero teams by mixing and matching teams. Just wandering around and speaking to Vision taught me so much about the backstories and bigger story-arcs to that time that it felt like I getting an encyclopaedia as well as a game. The whole thing felt like a passion project and not a quickly knocked out game.

Arkham City also deserves a lot of praise for letting you have all the equipment at once and not coming up with some bull to knock you back to a single bit of equipment. For the first game that trope made sense, but doing it with the 2nd would have cheapened it.

Origins takes some deserved hits, but it was also the first game I played when I got my GTX680 and was able to play with everything on ultra including the snow physics which coming straight from a 360 was a revelation. So I may have a fondness for it that others perhaps won't.

I gotta give it to Bats still but Ultimate Alliance 1 was so fantastic to play with my brother. X-men legends was fun for us but UA was so much better for settings and stuff.

Arkham Knight gets ripped on too hard imo, and I rip too hard on a lot of stuff! It's still clunky, but all the Arkham's have pieces of that. Certainly not the pinnacle (still asylum tbh) but still a very good entry in a very good franchise.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd put Injustice 2, Spider-Man 2, and MvC2 over them.
But yeah, a solid 4th place.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Each Arkham game is like playing a Batman comic from a different writer. I love this series.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
The first game I played on my new tv in 2009 was Arkham Asylum. Man it was amazing.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think Arkham City is technically the best game since it's like the middle ground between the tight design of Arkham Asylum and the flabbier Arkham Knight with its overlong Batmobile sections and multiple endings. My favourite however if the first one as I felt more like I was playing a Batman movie as its story and level design was more focused. Overall each game has its own strengths.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. The Arkham Trilogy is amazing and the best ones in the market.

But Spiderman also had good games like Spider-Man 2, Ultimate Spider-man and Shattered Dimensions.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I played the first game after a bundle and I found it awful. The combat was just spamming buttons, the levels were a mess and story wasn't interesting at all.

The bloom made it all worse.

Spider Man 64 (AKA Spider Man 2000) is my personal favorite. 2002 was also good.

Deleted member 24766

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I found City and Knight to be fairly mediocre. Really didn't like either of them that much, and I've absolutely loved Asylum.

Same. I felt that there was just *too* much in City/Knight. It felt both small and crowded compared to the tight setting in Arkham Asylum. It didn't help that Knight was a very generic story for batman.