• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Received mine as well and the box has been mauled by the postal carrier who decided to cram it in my mailbox. I've got a return already on the way, hopefully it goes better this time. If I'm going to pay $70 for a Blu-ray, it needs to be in New condition when I get it.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Speaking of which, I just finished watching the Fear of Victory episode, and the animation was really nice.

Turns out it was animated by TMS. Can't help imagine how this show would look if every episode was animated by TMS.

TMS did the following episodes:

• "Fear of Victory"
  • "Two-Face, Part I"
  • "Feat of Clay, Part II"
  • "Harley and Ivy" (layouts)
  • "The Demon's Quest"
  • "Read My Lips"
  • "Never Fear"
  • "Over the Edge"
  • "Growing Pains"
  • "Mean Seasons"
  • "The Demon Within"
And I believe they also did Mask of the Phantasm, tough the movie does not look as good as their episodes.

Also good animation in my opinion was by Spectrum, another Japanese studio. They did:
  • "On Leather Wings"
  • "P.O.V"
  • "The Forgotten"
  • "It's Never Too Late"
  • "Vendetta"
  • "Heart of Ice"
  • "Robin's Reckoning, Part 1"
From Spectrum on Wikipedia:

On the commentary track for "Heart of Ice" on the Batman: The Animated Series, Volume One DVD, producer Bruce Timm stated that Spectrum was responsible for airbrushing Mr. Freeze's helmet in every frame that featured him. Such attention to detail ultimately drove the studio to bankruptcy; most of their staff members are now working for Production I.G

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
TMS did the following episodes:

• "Fear of Victory"
  • "Two-Face, Part I"
  • "Feat of Clay, Part II"
  • "Harley and Ivy" (layouts)
  • "The Demon's Quest"
  • "Read My Lips"
  • "Never Fear"
  • "Over the Edge"
  • "Growing Pains"
  • "Mean Seasons"
  • "The Demon Within"
And I believe they also did Mask of the Phantasm, tough the movie does not look as good as their episodes.

Also good animation in my opinion was by Spectrum, another Japanese studio. They did:
  • "On Leather Wings"
  • "P.O.V"
  • "The Forgotten"
  • "It's Never Too Late"
  • "Vendetta"
  • "Heart of Ice"
  • "Robin's Reckoning, Part 1"
From Spectrum on Wikipedia:

Phantasm was animated by Dong Wang. BB: Return of the Joker was TMS.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dong Yang was fine in the first season, but from the second season onwards they became consistently good, with some exemplary work on episodes like Harley's Holiday and Second Chance. That carried over through the bulk of their DCAU work

The one bad animation studio was Akom. My god were they a bad choice for this show. They mangled every script they got l, including Mad as a Hatter. They did Feat of Clay part one and TMS famously did part two and the difference between those two episodes is just night and day.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Dong Yang was fine in the first season, but from the second season onwards they became consistently good, with some exemplary work on episodes like Harley's Holiday and Second Chance. That carried over through the bulk of their DCAU work

The one bad animation studio was Akom. My god were they a bad choice for this show. They mangled every script they got l, including Mad as a Hatter. They did Feat of Clay part one and TMS famously did part two and the difference between those two episodes is just night and day.

100% agreed on Dong Yang. I always forget they did Harley's Holiday and Second Change. Their later work on DCAU is really consistent and well done in general.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to bump this. Was this a limited edition? I want to buy it now that I can afford to but from what I see on Amazon it's only available from third party retailers.

edit: Is this it? https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Complete-Animated-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B07J33MNCV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548696209&sr=8-1&keywords=Batman:+The+Animated+Series+blu+ray

People are giving it low reviews.

Your link is the standard edition and that's the MSRP. I'd wait for it to go on sale which I'm sure will happen frequently. You should be able to get it for around $60 then.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
So I grabbed this set at Best Buy and there was no code in the box despite the outside advertising it. I contacted WB and they sent me a Vudu code. Is there any way I can link my iTunes and Vudu accounts so they'll show up on iTunes or do I have to use Vudu if I want to watch it now?

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
So I grabbed this set at Best Buy and there was no code in the box despite the outside advertising it. I contacted WB and they sent me a Vudu code. Is there any way I can link my iTunes and Vudu accounts so they'll show up on iTunes or do I have to use Vudu if I want to watch it now?

I think you can only use Vudu

Oct 27, 2017
Silly question, but the book in the limited edition isn't only available in that set, right? Those LE prices are crazy.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Been watching a lot of this lately....goddamn it's still so good. This might be my "desert island" TV show.

Best Batman media ever...I'll take that opinion to the grave lol.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Silly question, but the book in the limited edition isn't only available in that set, right? Those LE prices are crazy.
i have the LE, but i thought the book was only in the set. I hope so honestly, as the LE set doesnt have much of value over the standard. I just wanted to make sure it didnt go out if print like the original set did.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I got all these ripped. And my son loves them. But goddamn they list the shows in a different order from imdb, tvdb etc. Makes it so media center master downloads the wrong information for certain episodes.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Orly?
Is that setting in media center master? Or do I have to point it somewhere else?

Cause I did it in disc order. If I could have media center master redo it that way, my ocd could rest.

I'm not familiar with Media Center Master, but in Kodi (I'm assuming MCM is just for the database/library info), if you go to the file view, bring up the context menu on the folder, select Change Content/Set Content, then Settings and you can select DVD order as an option. From there I believe you can then scrape it and it'll scrape based on the DVD ordering. It's been awhile since I last did it though.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
The production order is the correct order.
thanks. That really helps my current situation.

I'm not familiar with Media Center Master, but in Kodi (I'm assuming MCM is just for the database/library info), if you go to the file view, bring up the context menu on the folder, select Change Content/Set Content, then Settings and you can select DVD order as an option. From there I believe you can then scrape it and it'll scrape based on the DVD ordering. It's been awhile since I last did it though.
oh, poop. I don't like how Kodi scrapes at least how it did it years ago, so I always use media center master and let it set everything up for Kodi. It creates the folder, the xml, downloads all the pictures and stuff.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
oh, poop. I don't like how Kodi scrapes at least how it did it years ago, so I always use media center master and let it set everything up for Kodi. It creates the folder, the xml, downloads all the pictures and stuff.

I never really explored the other options even though I know they exist so I never really learned all the ins and outs of going that route. I know for some it's easier to modify and manage the data so I get why some people would go that route. I've just been using the stock scraping built in for ages that I've just gotten used to how to work with it. I'm sure I'm doing things more difficult than it has to be but it's just sort of routine and habit now.

From my side, I go and rename the files to the format I want, put them in the folder where they belong and then I just tell the library to update and it will scrape the data. Kodi can export the xml and pictures if you want, otherwise it is just stored in the SQL database but it does download all the images. Is there a reason you want the xml files and images instead of just in the database? I accidentally did that once and it just cluttered up all the directories. I'm still cleaning that up.

That all said, tvdb has the info for air order and dvd order in their database so you might want to see if MCM can somehow utilize that data from there. I would love to know what I'm missing out on though by not venturing outward with other content managers that handle the database info.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017

Just to clarify, there is no separate book in the set, the book is the case that holds the discs. If you want that, you could get the UK version. It has the same book type packaging, but without the Funko Pops. The discs slide in at the side instead of the top though. Alternatively, the French set is the cheapest and occasionally goes for 30 €, but it's just two 5-disc plastic cases in a cardboard sleeve.

Edit: The French set also doesn't include the two movies and digital copy.

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I never really explored the other options even though I know they exist so I never really learned all the ins and outs of going that route. I know for some it's easier to modify and manage the data so I get why some people would go that route. I've just been using the stock scraping built in for ages that I've just gotten used to how to work with it. I'm sure I'm doing things more difficult than it has to be but it's just sort of routine and habit now.

From my side, I go and rename the files to the format I want, put them in the folder where they belong and then I just tell the library to update and it will scrape the data. Kodi can export the xml and pictures if you want, otherwise it is just stored in the SQL database but it does download all the images. Is there a reason you want the xml files and images instead of just in the database? I accidentally did that once and it just cluttered up all the directories. I'm still cleaning that up.

That all said, tvdb has the info for air order and dvd order in their database so you might want to see if MCM can somehow utilize that data from there. I would love to know what I'm missing out on though by not venturing outward with other content managers that handle the database info.
I just like that it does it all for you. The only thing I do is drop it into my main root folder. Then MCM creates the appropriate folder and moves the files, renames them.
But also the xml is useful for creating sets. I created a set for Nolans batman called the dark night trilogy so it puts them all together. Same with Man with no name trilogy. I'm sure you can modify the same way with kodi. It's just how I've always done it. When I first started with XBMC I let it do it and I didnt like it. But that was 2012 or so? I'm sure it's gotten better.

I'll check out if MCM will let you select DVD order. Cause that would Def solve my problem.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I saw this when waltzing through JB Hi Fi 2 days ago, snapped it up instantly.

Gonna binge on the whole thing, and it's gonna be great.

Oct 27, 2017
90.86. They have 2 left. Want me to grab you one? I'm actually headed up there this evening.

Nah, I'm good, my friend. To be honest, I already have a LE sealed, but am not gonna open it after seeing the prices are rising. And I thought (as said above) that there was an actual book in there (rather than it being a disc holder)

If the differences with the LE are just the funkos and the lithographs, then, I'll wait for a sale for the plain one. Thanks again, though.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I saw one in a target clearance bin for 50 - 60 bucks a couple months back, but I strongly prefer the normal edition, though i admit I don't know what it looks like under that hideous smashed box with funko pops.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I'm good, my friend. To be honest, I already have a LE sealed, but am not gonna open it after seeing the prices are rising. And I thought (as said above) that there was an actual book in there (rather than it being a disc holder)

If the differences with the LE are just the funkos and the lithographs, then, I'll wait for a sale for the plain one. Thanks again, though.
Okay cool. They were still there tonight. If anybody wants them, let me know. Always down to help out fellow Era members.

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I returned two LEs to Amazon even though I got them at the lowest preorder prices. Gonna buy the standard once I have some vacation time to watch.

And before you shake your heads, they shipped them both in bubble-wrap envelopes. So the books were pretty much dinged.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I just like that it does it all for you. The only thing I do is drop it into my main root folder. Then MCM creates the appropriate folder and moves the files, renames them.
But also the xml is useful for creating sets. I created a set for Nolans batman called the dark night trilogy so it puts them all together. Same with Man with no name trilogy. I'm sure you can modify the same way with kodi. It's just how I've always done it. When I first started with XBMC I let it do it and I didnt like it. But that was 2012 or so? I'm sure it's gotten better.

I'll check out if MCM will let you select DVD order. Cause that would Def solve my problem.

I should look into it a bit more. I'm probably putting more effort into file naming than I have to from the sound of it. How does MCM know which file to name though? In the case of the movie can it also name bonus extras? For a TV show how does it know which file is which ep to name? I just assumed auto naming wouldn't work because it wouldn't know which file ripped from MakeMKV is which content.

On a different note, Kodi has the concept of sets and it auto creates them from your library. You're also free to add and modify the set or create your own. That was probably added after you last looked at it but if you're at all curious, it's there now. If it was there and inadequate at the time, you probably have a better idea of what it's weakness was than me though.

Hopefully you can find a resolution to the DVD order too. The data is definitely there in tvdb so hopefully it's just a setting.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I should look into it a bit more. I'm probably putting more effort into file naming than I have to from the sound of it. How does MCM know which file to name though? In the case of the movie can it also name bonus extras? For a TV show how does it know which file is which ep to name? I just assumed auto naming wouldn't work because it wouldn't know which file ripped from MakeMKV is which content.

On a different note, Kodi has the concept of sets and it auto creates them from your library. You're also free to add and modify the set or create your own. That was probably added after you last looked at it but if you're at all curious, it's there now. If it was there and inadequate at the time, you probably have a better idea of what it's weakness was than me though.

Hopefully you can find a resolution to the DVD order too. The data is definitely there in tvdb so hopefully it's just a setting.
so i checked and MCM can't do dvd order.

How it handles files though. For movies it does detection on each file and tries to figure out what movie it is based on the file name. If it finds it it offers a list of movies with the same name and lets you pick. If it can't like for some reason it couldnt figure "marvels dr strange" with some other stuff on the back end. I just give it the IMDB number and renames it, makes a folder for it, moves it, creates the XML and downloads all the fanart and official art.

For TV shows i still have to create the folder structure with TV Show Name/Season01 then name each file s01e01 but there's literally no way around doing this.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Batman Beyond is coming out! October 29
D_yHuubXUAEQKkN