• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one is the funkiest game to ever exist?

• Jet Set Radio (and JSRF)

Votes: 67 70.5%
  • ToeJam and Earl

Votes: 28 29.5%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The release of a new ToeJam and Earl reminded me that the originals were still in my backlog, so I checked them out. Turns out, these games are extremely funky in every sense of the word, from the aesthetics, to the gameplay, to the music (and especially the music, in the 30 minutes I spent on the first game the OST just got stuck on a loop on my head), everything that's in these games is super funky.

Now, as we all know, Jet Set Radio is the funkiest game franchise to ever exist, or so I thought. But after experiencing a little of those games my views have been challenged: which game can be officially called "The King of the Funk"? If you know about any other game that's even funkier, please mention it.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
One of them has overt Herbie Hancock and George Clinton influences and the other doesn't.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I don't really like playing either, but I much prefer Jet Set Radio's presentation and music over ToeJam and Earl's.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like Jet Set Radio's music more, but you set the battle of FUNKINESS. Jet Set Radio does not have TJ&E's level of funk.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I prefer ToeJam & Earl a fair bit, but 2 mostly sucks and 3 is a seriously bad game so that kinda hurts the franchise as a whole.

I always found Jet Set Radio pretty overhyped personally, but I would be all-in on a new version of JSRF day one if that ever happened (I think it will!).

Funkiest though? Space Channel 5.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Toejam and Earl because it was more fun/funny to me. And those characters designs are classic.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you grew up on Toe Jam and Earl games, I find it hard to believe the majority would pick Toe Jam and Earl. JSR oozes Funk(and even JSRF) to the extreme.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Jet Set Radio and Future have one of the best soundtracks for a video game. You won't see anything like that again, I fucking bet.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think people are voting the one they think is the better game instead of the funkiest one.
I still think JSR wins.

FirstGratefulIbis-max-1mb.gif

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I prefer Toejam and Earl because it was more fun/funny to me. And those characters designs are classic.
Unless you grew up on Toe Jam and Earl games, I find it hard to believe the majority would pick Toe Jam and Earl. JSR oozes Funk(and even JSRF) to the extreme.

Yeah I voted them as they were a big part of me wanting to get a Mega Drive back in the day. Used to see the game running in a video game store and I just so wanted them. This was before Sonic was out too. So they have meaning to me, whereas Jet Set Radio is kind of just 'eh, whatever'. (haven't ever really properly played it)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Jet Set Radio.

I fucking hate ToeJam and Earl and that awful early 90s 'tude humour. Hated it then and hate it now. It thinks it's far funkier than it actually is.