• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Last of Us or God of War?

• The Last of Us

• God of War

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the-last-of-us-review-stimulated-boredom.jpg

god-of-war-open-world.original.jpg

The Last of Us and God of War are among the most praised, most acclaimed Sony first party games of all time, and are probably the peak of the publisher's output, and the unique aesthetic and vision for the medium that Sony has. Which of these two do you like more, and why?

The Last of Us, when it launched in 2013, was an utter revelation, and set the tone for every Sony first party game, including God of War, to follow. In terms of thematic coherence, characterization, and storytelling, I feel The Last of Us is unmatched. God of War, on the other hand, has a more expansive world, better designed levels and combat, and is admittedly far more technically ambitious.

Which of the two nails the landing for you better, and why?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The Last of Us. It's a new IP, it's new blood, God of War I never cared for and new God of War's "maturation" of the franchise comes across as pretentious to me, so The Last of Us it is.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
The Last of Us by miles. It's not even close.

The storytelling in God of War is nowhere near as good as TLOU.

MetalGear?

Nov 8, 2017
Wow, I honestly can't pick one. A year ago I would have said TLOU in a heartbeat, but now it's a whole different world. Gun to my head I guess TLOU.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
God of War. I feel like we'll get more games about a bunch of survivors trying to make it in an apocalyptic world ruined by a virus or infection for years to come. God of War seems like something we'd see a little less of, and while I'm into TLoU for the characters, I'm into God of War for pretty much everything that it is.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're both about tied for me. They both are pretty much at the top of their genre in basically every area. While TLOU may ever so slightly have the better story telling, God of War has the better combat hands down.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I've been a massive GoW fan since the series' inception, it's one of my favourite franchises of all time... but I have to give this one to TLoU. It's more confident, better paced, and just much, much better in general at doing what it tries to do.

they're both the same damn games

Joel and Ellie

Kratos and Atreus
How incredibly reductive.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
God of War, by a long shot. I never felt bored while playing GoW, and it has much deeper gameplay than TLOU. TLOU is a bit better in narrative though.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It's close, but I find Joel was written more nuanced and detailed, and I find Ellie more likeable as a character and sidekick than Atreus. So it is TLoU in the end. I did enjoy every minute of God of War though and it is a fantastic game alike.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I can't vote, as I haven't played the new GoW. But before this GoW, I've never been a super fan of the old GoWs. I found GoW2 to be the best, but it's not even close to TLOU for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't particularly think either of them are that great as "games", I do love their stories and they are amazing presentation wise, but out of these two.... TLoU.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
I don't think TLOU2 will be able to top GoW for me. I'm not even sure if if GoW2 will be able to top GoW for me. The game was an experience.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU, because God of War didn't live up to expectations for me. It underwhelmed both as a hugely acclaimed game, and as the first PS4 entry in the series. GOW 3 was way more satisfying for me.

I'm less in love with TLOU than many others here are, but overall it's very memorable and Ellie was great. The DLC was especially wonderful.

So yeah, TLOU easily. Its cinematic sensibilities, well-delivered and memorable story beats, the pacing, the opening.... it's a genuine classic for me.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
God of War.

Parent/child thematic similarities aside, I think I just slightly prefer the gameplay in God of War, I definitely prefer the fantasy setting, and I like that I get the impression at the end of God of War that both Kratos and Atreus have positively grown as people and they did it with each other's help. The Last of Us does not make me feel quite as enlightened... It's a brilliant stroke of storytelling, but I've leaned just a bit harder on videogames as escape to ease my own mental health issues and the heavy bearing of The Last of Us's conclusion does NOT provide the same relief that God of War does.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God of War 4 is so much better it is not even funny.

It has good level design, story and gameplay and characters. The Last of Us left me let down when I was finished with it.

Dec 16, 2017
I never loved a God of War game until last years. I'm currently more interested in a sequel to that game than Last of Us, but that's because I thought Last of Us ended perfectly.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've been a massive GoW fan since the series' inception, it's one of my favourite franchises of all time... but I have to give this one to TLoU. It's more confident, better paced, and just much, much better in general at doing what it tries to do.

How incredibly reductive.
I feel the exact opposite about it. GoW does everything better and doesn't sacrifice the "Fun" aspect of playing the game. The Last of Us wasn't very fun to play through, gameplay wise.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us, mainly because it's one of the best paced video games ever made. It also features the best acting I've ever seen in the medium and as a story driven game, that's a big deal. I prefer TLoU's gameplay as well.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
God of War for sure. It plays like a million bucks and at some point, people are going to sour on third-person craftsneaks with waist-high walls and crumbling handholds.

Jul 20, 2018
I liked TLoU more when it came out than like GoW, but my tastes have changed so that I prefer GoW.

EDIT: To expand, I like the gameplay, setting, and art direction more in GoW. I do think TLoU has a better story, but that's not as important to me.

Also GoW has Mimir and TLoU doesn't so there's really only one choice here.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Last of Us

God of War story was completely botched and felt cut in a lot of places. Characters felt unlikeable. Boss battles sucked.

Last of Us had fantastic supporting characters. Every act built up a likeable character or an interesting character. Story felt well put together.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This.

I'm a ND fan but TLoU gameplay is mediocre.

It nails everything else though

God of War is the better game overall

I feel like saying the gameplay of TLOU is mediocre is doing it a disservice. The fact that that the Multiplayer was so good and is still played to this day is only because the gameplay is good.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'll take the easy route, since I love both of them, and say that since The Last of Us has a great MP it ll get my vote.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love everything about The Last of Us. A complete package. God of War had a few shortcomings and held back certain elements for the sequel.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
God of War easily because of the Greek/Norse mythology. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. I never really got into TLOU universe as much as I did GoW.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I've just finished God of War a few days ago and played The Last of Us for the second time recently too.
Damn.....it's tough to choose......the way TLoU handled it's narrative was exceptional but then the level design around the whole Lake of Nine concept in GoW was also fantastic......I can't really put one above the other,but I guess if you put a gun to my head I'd say TLoU because I felt it broke new ground more.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I feel like saying the gameplay of TLOU is mediocre is doing it a disservice. The fact that that the Multiplayer was so good and is still played to this day is only because the gameplay is good.

Seriously. I don't understand how people can keep saying "the gameplay sucks" when the MP was held up as being genuinely engrossing.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
God of War. It's an all around better put together game and a redemption of a stale series. It's story is good and it's gameplay is good. The sum of its parts is better on the whole than TLOU. TLOU isn't even Naughty Dog's best game. Uncharted 2 still is. TLOU is carried solely by its story. The gameplay is lackluster and is somehow a further regression from Uncharted. Say what you want about realism and what not, the game was not fun to play as a third person shooter. Resident Evil does a better job of what the last of us attempted gameplay wise.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this isn't even a discussion for me, it's the last of us. the quality of writing and character work in the last of us is on another plane of existence compared to god of war

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I played about 3 hours of God of War and i can see why its considered a masterpiece but it isnt clicking on me and i dont really know why. Theres something about the gameplay that bothers me. Ill try it again after i get a bit tired of Apex Legends tho. So yeah, Last of Us for me at least for now.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
The Last of Us, by far for me. I think it's more enjoyable to play, tells a more compelling story, has stronger characters with better performances and is far better paced. It also had a great multiplayer mode. TLOU is one of the few games that I have no real faults with, whereas I had a number of issues with God of War.