• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Last of Us or God of War?

• The Last of Us

• God of War

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jan 11, 2018
God of War in each and every way. I didn't like The Last of Us as much as ND's other output. I'm hoping part 2 will resonate with me more.

Last edited:

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would have to go with God of War purely from a nostalgic perspective. So many memories with the first PS2 GOW and now it evolving into something truly spectacular.

TLOU is amazing in it's own regard nonetheless.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm surprised the poll is as close as it is. While I really love God of War, The Last of Us is in my all-time top 10. I adore the game's tone, impactful melee/combat, music, animations, voice work, survival horror elements, atmosphere, etc.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I can't take seriously anyone who says TLOU has bad gameplay. It might not be innovative and it's serviceable at worst but bad? No way in hell.

OT: I really can't choose. Both are some of my favourite games this generation.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
And as per every other thread criticizing TLoU's gameplay, the pople who find it bad are probably the kind of people who hardly know how to QCF/QCB or DP in FGs, use dodge offset in Bayonetta or even bother finding mid-level mechanics in action games. Not every TPS needs to have crazy ass mechanics like Vanquish (love reload canceling here) or tacked on RPG lite stuff (Tomb Raider comes to mind) in order to be considered great gameplay, but oh well, that's pretty much how it goes every single time.
Just for the record, items in TLoU have different properties and mechanics, some smaller and some more noticeable, but nah, bad gameplay.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Last of us. Easy. Last of us is the best plot by the side of Witcher 3 I have ever played in a game. God of War is not even on the top 3 of this gen.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us, mainly because it's one of the best paced video games ever made. It also features the best acting I've ever seen in the medium and as a story driven game, that's a big deal. I prefer TLoU's gameplay as well.
The beginning of TLOU is not paced well at all tbh

I whole heartedly agree that the story and characters are still beyond what GoW did but I disagree that it has "perfect" pacing

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
God of War.

Last of Us was a bore for me. Don't like post apocalyptic zombie settings at all.
But will get the sequel due to the LGBTQ representation

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The beginning of TLOU is not paced well at all tbh

I whole heartedly agree that the story and characters are still beyond what GoW did but I disagree that it has "perfect" pacing

The intro is amazing, but the opening hours are indeed a bit slow. However, I personally loved every second, as it established the world and provided a good level of investment into it and the characters. There was never a dull moment for me in this game.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also refuse to believe that the people saying "TLOU gameplay sucked" even played the game

That gameplay was sublime, it had visceral close combat and satisfying shooting mechanics. The crafting system was simple yet highly practical and effective - along with the UI in general. Especially playing it on higher difficulty levels

I think TLOU greatest fault about its gameplay is that it wasn't innovative and was overshadowed by the exceptional storytelling that this game had

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Come on....l both amazing and yo BLOODBORNE GOT ROBBED.

Bloodborne is developed by Sony Japan Studio and From Software, not just FS. It's developed by Sony directly. They didn't just publish it. It's a Sony game so it absolutely should be included.

Last edited:

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
One of them I've played many times and will play again and I bought it twice. The other I may or may not play again and probably wouldn't buy twice.
One was great, the other was good.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I loved God of Wars story to death, but Last of Us made me feel actual emotion for a video game. I had never felt any type of sadness for a video game before, no matter what it was. Never in my life have I shed a tear to a video game until that and I haven't since either, it was such an emotional journey that no game will ever be able to top for me.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
The Last of Us takes this easily.

God of War disappointed. It was a good game, but missed the mark in a few areas.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
As a pure game I say god of war, a video game thats the whole package, then I say the last of us.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
God of War's character development was all over the place and a lot of character building events within the narrative felt cobbled together between set pieces, often feeling like a switch was turned on/off for dramatic effect. I also think the scavenging and resource crafting was much more cohesive and fit well with the tense visceral combat in The Last of Us, more so than the loot grind of God of War and the endless menus in a supposedly seamless game.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's God of War for me ultimately because I prefer melee combat over shooting. They're both rad.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us does characters better than God of War, but I voted for God of War because of the combat. That is not to say I hate combat in The Last of Us, but I find God of War far more repayable.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
IMO everything was better in GOW. The story in Last of Us was predictable as hell. Moving through the same sort of environments. Gameplay wasn't great either.

God of War It felt like you really had to expect the unexpected. You might be going all around a dead giant, talking to a world serpent, going to another dimension.
And the combat was so good I was disappointed when the game ended cause I could keep doing that for hours more.
And even the story, the whole idea of combining all the different mythologies was super interesting

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
I prefer action over stealth, so GoW wins for me. You play as a God and you fucking feel like one too.

But story-wise, six years later and TLoU is still unmatched, IMO.

Oct 26, 2017
They are both great, but the overall gameplay in TLoU is what gives it to God of War. Then I consider replay value. I'll never replay TLoU, and I love it. God of War I already want to replay.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
God of War, I prefer its combat and the way it tells its story without stopping the gameplay nearly as much. I also just prefer fantasy environments over post-apocalypse in general.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
It's God of War for me. I think it's satisfying and surprisingly deep combat sets it apart from most other AAA games for me. I didn't get into the sneaking and shooting combat of TLoU as much, even though it certainly has its strengths.

And I absolutely loved the world of God of War. It really felt like I was constantly looking at concept art that was being perfectly translated in-game while playing GoW. I think the art design was a huge aspect of why I ended up falling in love with this game, it really goes above and beyond most other games I've played. If I had to guess, I would say that a good 20 minutes of my playtime was spent admiring the realm travel room. That one room is just insane with the amount of detail and care put into it, and it is probably my single favorite room in any video game.

I'm not trying to say that TLoU isn't a beautiful game, because it most certainly is. I just enjoyed the Norse setting in GoW more than post-apocalyptic America in TLoU.

In the end, GoW felt more like a "game" to me, if that makes any sense, and I think that's why I enjoyed it more.

They really need to fix the camera in the next game though.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
This ones not easy.

Both are unforgettable total package type games that I can't get enough of. I think I'm still a sucker for the types of things ND does with character/dialogue/moments still, so I'll give it to TLOU.

But it's not like GOW lacks in that area at all

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU has way better story
GOW has slightly better gameplay
Overall TLOU has more of an impact on me

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
TLOU no contest for me. The atmosphere created on that game is one of the most unique in gaming, ever.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TloU and it's not even close. That game was a genuine masterpiece. God of War was just a really good action game.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
Both are excellent and incredibly well done.

I've replayed The Last of Us almost yearly when it came out, but not so much anymore. I just started and finished my first play through of God of War last month. I voted God of War in the poll because I preferred the combat more, but now that I think about it, I'm leaning towards The Last of Us. The Last of Us's story also left a bigger impact on me when I had finished it.