• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Last of Us or God of War?

• The Last of Us

• God of War

Results are only viewable after voting.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU without a doubt.
Better story, better gameplay, better characters, better.

GoW thx to the settings has more wow environments, but thats all.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
What's wrong with unskippable cutscenes?

It absolutely kills replayability.

Don't get me wrong, I always appreciate a good story cutscene, but forcing the same cutscene down my throat everytime I play the game is just painful.

How about making it a choice?
People who never skipped cutscenes no matter how many time they played the game can still watch it while people who just want to enjoy the gameplay can choose to skip it.
It's not about how good the story is, no one wants to watch the same shit over and over again, seriously developers make it an option will ya?

Feb 26, 2018
It absolutely kills replayability.

Don't get me wrong, I always appreciate a good story cutscene, but forcing the same cutscene down my throat everytime I play the game is just painful.

How about making it a choice?
People who never skipped cutscenes no matter how many time they played the game can still watch it while people who just want to enjoy the gameplay can choose to skip it.
It's not about how good the story is, no one wants to watch the same shit over and over again, seriously developers make it an option will ya?
You can skip cutscenes in TLOU and GoW.
Edit: they patched it in pretty fast I think in GoW

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
GoW is the greatest game of this generation*. But it doesn't exist without TLoU breaking all the ground in the generation before it.

In other words: TLoU.

*until TLoU 2 comes out.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
GoW by default. It has flaws but it was definitely more enjoyable.
The Last of Us is probably one of the worst games I ever played, it just did not clicked at all for me.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Tlou has such a good story, left me thinking about it years later. Gow is amazing too but it's always tlou for me.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
The Last Of Us. It's not by much, but it's definitely noticeable. I've just started to play the new GOW recently and it's just not as polished. It looks phenomenal most of the time, but in some scenes/areas, lighting is fairly poor imo and animations in general are not as well done as in TLOU. Also TLOU still, to date has one of the best MP.

(On a side note, I think it's fair to mention, that there probably is a huge difference between the budget of the two games and most of the issues of GOW just stem from lack of money/men/time. That's why I think it's still a big achievement, and I can't wait to see what SSM will cook up for the next game.)

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
God of War, it beats TLoU in all aspects for me personally.

I can't vote, as I haven't played the new GoW. But before this GoW, I've never been a super fan of the old GoWs. I found GoW2 to be the best, but it's not even close to TLOU for me.

I strongly disliked the older GoW games for a number of reasons, I love this one however. It's one of my all time favorite games now.

Both are filled with unskippable cutscenes so both can fuck right off.

You can skip cutscenes in GoW. ;) It was patched in fairly quickly.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
At the end of the day GoW had better gameplay and more reply value, especially with skippable cutscenes. I still hope they improve that more in the next game with less climbing, walking story time and in game loading.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
TLOU.

Because I found it engaging and exciting and interesting and fun and I loved the characters.

GOW on the other hand I found just... generally okay and forgettable in every regard. The big snake and the tortoise house were cool though.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
God of War because I love epic fantasy stuff and God of War is pretty much the pinnacle of that. GoW 3 is my favorite game of all time and God of War 2018 was pretty close in quality.

I'd also say Uncharted 2+3 and Horizon are better than TLOU. But they are all mighty fine games.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
TLOU is one of the best games of all time and is easily better.

That's not to say God of War isn't fantastic as well though

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
The last of us by a significant margin. It's easily the more impactful story, especially the supporting characters shine way more and the combat offers more options. Perfectly clearing a combat scenario on a harder difficulty by stealth is exhilarating, as are the mechanics to rescue a situation when stealth goes to shit. Throwing a bottle at an enemy and rushing them for a quick kill is one of my favourite takedown mechanics in gaming.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
God of War has the better combat, even though the combat in The Last of Us is great as well. The narrative and world building in TLOU is much better though. Both the supporting cast and the main cast are written in a much better fashion than in GoW. The gameplay in TLOU also merges better with the narrative imo. It's Tlou for me.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
TLOU. Better pacing, and better integration of the narrative with the gameplay limitations. The gameplay in both games is inconsistent and nothing to write about, but TLOU compensates the game's weak points better with better narrative and less bad pading.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
TLoU belongs in my all time top 3 together with Half-Life and Bloodborne, so that has my vote.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I went for TLOU but they both do there own thing incredibly well. It's almost unfair putting them together.

TLOU is a few years old now but for me was ahead of its time in terms of storytelling, pacing etc. I'd never played a game done to that standard before.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Both fall into a category of being decent games where I don't quite understand all the fuss around them. Of the two I'd pick God of War though, I'm much more of a melee combat guy and that was more fun then anything in TLOU. Liked the world design in GOW too.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Both of amazing but if I have to choose one then it would be TLOU. I don't understand why ppl say the gameplay in TLOU is lacking because a lot of the gameplay mechanics are very tight for the Mp. Imagine it has a BR mode, I think it might be better than PUBG.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
God of war I know what it is, have played it (well the older games) and liked it. I also like the mythos. Killing gods and monsters is a fun pastime activity.

The last of us I don't even know how the gameplay is. Only thing I know of the game is that Ellen Page is a main character and that you sneak around in ruins (if I remember the reveal trailer correctly)?

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
GOW, better gameplay it seems. I am thinking TLoU will be more or less "point and shoot, haul large box here, climb large box"".. but we will see.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
God of War gets my vote. TLoU had a better story but it just doesn't hold up gameplaywise today imo, I tried to play through it again when the remaster came but I dropped it after just a few hours, the linearity of it all annoyed me. GoW is linear too but not in the same way and it has more interesting gameplay with the axe, loot and upgrade mechanics.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to say God of War simply because GoW 2018 finished with a cliffhanger and I can't wait to see what's going to happen afterward. The Last of Us was at the very least equally as good, but the game had a great, powerful ending and for that reason I feel less in a hurry for the follow-up.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
TLOU has a better story than GoW but GoW has better gameplay. Still, I think TLOU is a better game overall.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
The Last of Us is better on every front, story, characters, music, art, level design and player agency.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us. The game was excellent and they had the nerve to include a multiplayer that could have been a standalone game it was so great.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I got a lot more out of God of War. I liked its intro a lot, but The Last of Us was a little too by the book on the whole. Not-zombie stories where the biggest threat is isn't the the infected monsters, but ...MAN just don't have much flavour any more. That was even more the case for the gamedesign. Walking into an area with chest-high walls made me audibly sigh and wish for that section to be over with as soon as possible. Beyond that, you were engaging in what felt like filler content, so your co-op partner could yap on like a Let's Play with audio commentary, or watch cutscenes in a story that I wouldn't watch if it were a movie or TV show. Most of my indifference stems from not liking the type of story they wanted to tell, so I can understand that liking the zombie genre will undoubtedly result in a very different take.

God of War also sometimes contained similar "filler" content, like the token box pushing puzzles, kicking ladder/rope down, and just traversal you can do on auto-pilot. The main difference is that I was interested in what the game had to say, which made the light puzzles and busywork click. Heck, God of War even pulled that off with just riding on a slow little boat. The core of God of War, its combat, is of course the biggest differentiator, and it's stuff I find inherently more fun and engaging than TLOU's offering.

The Last of Us is better on every front, story, characters, music, art, level design and player agency.
Surprised you say that, since it's one of the most overt examples I can think of as a game where the player has no agency. The final stretch really drives home that the player does what Joel wants, and not the other way around.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I really can't choose, both games have excellent gameplay with ok story and an always present obnoxious little partner lol.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
It's really close. Both of them are excellent story driven games. I'll go with The Last of Us but only by the hair of a gnats nut sack. Both had me gripped and struggling to put down the controller. God of War really surprised me because I despised the previous GoW titles. I expected to love the TLoU because, well, Naughty Dog.

I can't give any honest assessment of why I chose TLoU, because I can't really think of a fair comparison. Both are brilliant in their own right.