• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
THAT K-SWISS BAR FROM DANNY

NvsWTUZ.gif

Danny came aggressive, and that bar amongst others brought the nostalgia of Danny's unpredictable bars back for me.

Missed the first, dunno who I got, but these are some good ass battles right now.

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Iron's 2nd round

I don't even know what to say

That was MASTERY

That was some GOOD ASS RAPPING

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I think Iron just showed Rum the difference between a top-tier and a legend.

Rum did his thing but uh, damn. Iron shut that room DOWN

Damn. I felt bad for Rum Nitty in that third and he wasn't wack, but how do you beat those rounds. Clear W for Iron, at least a 2-1, but clear. Those second and third rounds could not have been better, good god.

I'm actually stunned at how good and buttery smooth that shit was.

Iron is on some other shit, bruh fuck JC, Iron vs. Lux

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Stream came back on with Magic choking and someone getting him water...

EDIT: ..well that was anticlimactic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best 3 of them thangs in a while lol

Chess, B Magic, and JC to a lesser degree all disappointing with the chokes tonight.

Chef Trez is moving up right now and I'm pretty happy about it.

EDIT: Chess choking through bars about him trying to defend himself for choking, and WeGoHard is putting in overtime work on hyping SMFH.

Last edited:

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Chess' pacing is awkward...it is making this a drag to watch..Trez is on point though, that clumsy chef line was crazy

...SOMEBODY CALL TIME!!!!

That was painful...Trez with an EASY 30! Trez took Chess' spot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
This battle should get vaulted. It's that bad. I bet Cortez' bodies in the vault aren't as bad as this.

One of the sloppiest and worst performances I have ever watched.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
That was AWFUL! I agree, if any battle should get vaulted....jeez....I just wanna watch Nitty-Solomon again...

Hmm...not sure what to make of Red and Brizz...but really dope event! Can't wait to rewatch some of these. Love the Champion sections and Avocado production!

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best 3 of them thangs in a while lol

Chess, B Magic, and JC to a lesser degree all disappointing with the chokes tonight.

Chef Trez is moving up right now and I'm pretty happy about it.

EDIT: Chess choking through bars about him trying to defend himself for choking, and WeGoHard is putting in overtime work on hyping SMFH.

I just watched JC vs. Twork and you disrespectful for putting him in the same sentence as them choke artists lol.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
JC VS Illmac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gov-cG6_89s

This battle is FIIIIYAAAAAHHH!!!! Seriously, JC was on point with the punches and Illmac hit him from every angle. I gave it to Illmac 2-1 (2nd and 3rd), that fortune cookie bar, the midround freestyle on his hoodie...the angles, the schemes....Illmac just did too much.

Honestly, i've slept on Illmac for a long time, but he has really impressed me and made it into my top 5 this year. Beating Chilla, JC, and Iron Solomon this year...i'm glad I decided to start paying attention.

Last edited:
OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
KOTD: Pat Stay vs. Charlie Clips.

KOTD: A. Ward vs. Pnut.

Few thoughts:

Pat Stay vs. Clips is so awful and forgettable of a battle, they both lost.

Aye Verb vs. B Dot is incredible. One of my battles of the year. When we talk about the old Verb, this is what I'm talking about and it brings back all those feelings that made me a Verb fan. I have to watch it again to see how won it but I vaguely remember edging B Dot.

Rewatched Prep vs. Chef Trez after seeing the CHAMPION on it and them listing a bunch of super hot bars that Prep spit and I can't say he got bodied anymore.. he did good. I still think Chef Trez won, but Prep had enough moments to keep his battle rap pulse going. I don't know where he goes from here but it seems like the consensus is that Prep edged it so I guess that's good for him?

Rewatched JC vs. Twork, and SageShinigami you're right, it wasn't nearly as bad as Magic or Chess that night, mostly some longer fumbles, but I still REALLY enjoy that battle. They bought brought it, I just think Twork turned up something crazy in the 2nd and 3rd. Honestly, I think it's his best performance to date, and is a great addition to his resume that will help him move up, crazy when you pull off a W against your favourite battler. Some ridiculous name flips and wordplay.
Stomach shot, that's for anybody small and testin'
The shot perfect, but how you gonna criticize the form if you didn't see it?

JC vs. Illmac is good, I didn't think it was that exceptional though given the hype around it. I thought JC was about as good if not better in his Twork battle? IMO I got Illmac clearly in the 1st and 2nd edging it, and then JC clearly in the 3rd, nothing much seemed to hit in Illmac's 3rd and it took him a while to get going, whereas I think JC had that round as soon as he hit that return of the mack bar. This really is Illmac's first battle on the east since the WRCs? Crazy.

Also, Ty Law is back on URL as a one-off on the Survivor Series card, it seems. Vs. Fettucine20 =/

Last edited:

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
KOTD: Pat Stay vs. Charlie Clips.

KOTD: A. Ward vs. Pnut.

Few thoughts:

Pat Stay vs. Clips is so awful and forgettable of a battle, they both lost.

Aye Verb vs. B Dot is incredible. One of my battles of the year. When we talk about the old Verb, this is what I'm talking about and it brings back all those feelings that made me a Verb fan. I have to watch it again to see how won it but I vaguely remember edging B Dot.

Rewatched Prep vs. Chef Trez after seeing the CHAMPION on it and them listing a bunch of super hot bars that Prep spit and I can't say he got bodied anymore.. he did good. I still think Chef Trez won, but Prep had enough moments to keep his battle rap pulse going. I don't know where he goes from here but it seems like the consensus is that Prep edged it so I guess that's good for him?

Rewatched JC vs. Twork, and SageShinigami you're right, it wasn't nearly as bad as Magic or Chess that night, mostly some longer fumbles, but I still REALLY enjoy that battle. They bought brought it, I just think Twork turned up something crazy in the 2nd and 3rd. Honestly, I think it's his best performance to date, and is a great addition to his resume that will help him move up, crazy when you pull off a W against your favourite battler. Some ridiculous name flips and wordplay.
Stomach shot, that's for anybody small and testin'
The shot perfect, but how you gonna criticize the form if you didn't see it?

JC vs. Illmac is good, I didn't think it was that exceptional though given the hype around it. I thought JC was about as good if not better in his Twork battle? IMO I got Illmac clearly in the 1st and 2nd edging it, and then JC clearly in the 3rd, nothing much seemed to hit in Illmac's 3rd and it took him a while to get going, whereas I think JC had that round as soon as he hit that return of the mack bar. This really is Illmac's first battle on the east since the WRCs? Crazy.

Also, Ty Law is back on URL as a one-off on the Survivor Series card, it seems. Vs. Fettucine20 =/
I saw Clips/Pat at the PPV and after that swore to never watch it again...nothing could make me watch that battle again, it is up there with Moneybagz-Swave/DMV battle earlier this year as far as terribleness.

A. Ward beat PNut pretty clearly, give him Chilla next! He's ready!

Twork fucking spazzed on JC...there are moments where you can't see JC...he's just covered by Twork...push him off of you...something...jesus lol

You didn't think that boston accent line from Illmac's 3rd was hard? I thought that was nasty lol. I agree his first was extremely potent though...but that was my favorite round from JC....and I didn't feel it was a 3-0...so I gave it to him.

Fetti gon' die! Wavy gon' die! Prez/Ryda should be good if there are no chokes.

SO WHO'S BATTLE RAPPER OF THE YEAR!?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's either JC or O-Red. JC got some debatable Ls at the end of the year but that's because he forced some of these people to bring their best material and do the best they could. Twork was out here getting 30'd by Mike P earlier in the year, and I heard he aint do too well against Cortez either, but he faced JC and did literally everything perfect.

Sidenote: I'm normally with all the foolishness in battle rap, but B-Dot can gtfo. He got 30d by Verb lmao. Hotep ass lame.

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I took stock of a lot of the battles that came out this year and I think there are a ton of contenders for battlers of the year, at different levels of competition, but:

JC
I think he's the frontrunner for most because he has a good balance in terms of the level of competition and how well he did in them and the story he built for himself: Beat Craig Lamar and Chess, debatables with Chef Trez, Bigg K, and Illmaculate, BUT he lost clearly to T-Top and Twork.

B Dot
Not that many battles, but perhaps the highest percentage of battle of the year contenders or at least he's the most consistent with the least battles? Can't remember if the Cortez battle was this year but both his Verb and Emerson Kennedy battle are up there and insanely good performances.

Glueazy
Okay he doesn't have the highest level of competition, but I don't think he's had a bad performance OR bad battle this year, they're all great, and I think I have him winning in pretty much every one. Bedaffi Green, Nu Jerzy Twork, Geechi Gotti, and maybe even the Danny Myers battle?

Nu Jerzy Twork
I'm not the biggest fan but what he's done this year is impressive as fuck. Clearly beating Qleen Paper and JC are no small feats, and standing up to Glueazy, Ill Will and Cortez helps too.

Geechi Gotti
Again, not the greatest competition but put on vs. Saynt, Danny Myers, Stuey Newton, Glueazy, and turnt up to have a debatable battle of the year contender with Ave.

Bigg K
I think he flew under the radar because he's lacking clear Ws, but has faced some super real competition. Let's not forget he had a battle of the year contender with JC, and also went up against Pat Stay, Pass, and O-Red. Those are all big names.

Tay Roc
Besides getting bagged by Charron, he had an okay battle with Rum Nitty, edged or beat Dizaster and Chess, and faced Hollow Da Don. That's some of the highest competition you can get RE: Dizaster & Hollow. I don't know who faced better competition except...

Charron
Beat Tay Roc, Verb, and I think Serius Jones too? Can't remember but.. those are some fucking names. Is and continues to be the most impressive thing out of KOTD.

Ave
He might be disqualified for the bar stealing stuff depending on who you ask, but don't forget he held his own against O-Red, Suge, Geechi Gotti, T-Top, and clearly bodied B Magic. Good names and lots of battles, and he's never wack.

Mike P
Mike P is my underdog this year, TBH. He always shows out, does so against decent names, AND the battles end up being good and replayable. Debatables against Chef Trez, Twork, Suge, and a W against Big T. Not bad, but the biggest thing putting him ahead for me is good, replayable battles.

Suge
Has been on fire this year. Hitman, Ave, Ill Will, & Mike P, that's a great variety of styles of decent-to-big names he's faced and done well against, can't be ignored IMO.

Illmaculate
I don't remember his battle vs. Chilla, but I can't see Illmac giving a horrible performance, and if he's faced Chilla, Iron Solomon, and JC this year, he deserves to be in this conversation.

Hollow Da Don
Beat Dizaster and Tay Roc. Only two battles but.. he beat two of the biggest active battlers.

Chef Trez
Just like Mike P, I think Chef Trez not only had solid performances but also produced great battles and moments all year round vs. Mike P, JC, Prep, Rum Nitty, and Chess. Pretty much all mid-tier or higher names.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just a quick run through threads in compiling this so I'm probably missing battles, but IMO there's way more than JC if you look beyond the great storyline JC has created for himself.

I think many can be argued as not having enough battles, stiff enough competition, or not producing enough great, rewatchable battles (all depends on what you value) relative to JC, but Mike P, Chef Trez, Suge, Bigg K, and Ave especially have pretty well-rounded years without Ls as clear as the ones JC took to T-Top and Twork.

Mike P, Chef Trez, and Suge are probably my MVPs this year. They put in work, and put out consistently great performances. Chef Trez can be iffy at times, but he makes up for it in memorable bars and freestyles.

Also, if this year has showed us anything, it's that URL needs to continue what they have been doing all year in terms of rebuilding burned bridges and getting old talent back on. I hear they're working something out with Bigg K, and I don't know what KOTD can do if they lose Bigg K too. They lost some of their best up and coming talent (Geechi and Franchise) to URL too, and URL absolutely DOMINATED this year in good battles.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Damn its been over 2 years since I stopped following all this. Need to get back now!

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
URL: JC vs. Rum Nitty. I think I got JC 2-1, clearly in 1st and 3rd. Hard battle to watch only because they need to #StopStopping.

Rum Nitty needs to battle Chilla Jones, then JC/Chilla/Nitty/Danny will have all battled each other.

EDIT: Finally watched Oops vs. Xcel. Great battle, awful crowd, I think I got Xcel at least 2-1. Clearly in the 3rd.

EDIT2: Yeah, I think Chef Trez is my battler of the year. He had the most great moments for me, and also many of my favourite battles this whole year, including vs. JC and vs. Mike P.

Last edited:

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Iron Solomon VS. Illmac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEEx6qI8VEk

Great battle, I dig the consistent angles and narrative. It is sorely missing from battlerap these days. They both did great, but Illmac's first was the standout round to me. The battle was a lot closer than I had previously thought...but I give it to Illmac 2-1. It isn't a complete 30 like when I had first watched.

Illmac has been my favorite this year...but otherwise Mike P or B. Dot. They both have great pens, rapping ability, and they know the importance of putting on a performance.

Ill Will VS. Daylyt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dtRyQ3RnJE

Yeah, this is some fire right here. This might be my favorite Ill Will performance..at least in terms of his writing.

The JC gas against Nitty was so damn strong, he didn't stand a chance in the building...I was feeling a lot of what Nitty was saying...but I can't say he won...JC 2-1.

Last edited:
OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
So many exceptionally great battles coming out on Christmas.

URL: Tay Roc vs. Dizaster. DAT AVOCADO EDITING ON SMACK! SMACK VOL2 delayed to March 31st, got pushed back, seems like all streams will be with Avocado prospectively, which is great.

BullPen: Loso vs. B Dot. Another great battle, super debatable. I think I edge Loso every round, personally, but it might just be his great flip of the legendary Qleen moment that has me biased.

Iron vs. Illmac is the most debatable of them all and I got Iron 2-1. Ill Will vs. Daylyt, wow, yeah that might be some of the best writing and focus I've seen from Ill Will. I got him 3-0, although that first is definitely debatable.

Geechi vs. Ave needs to be the New Years battle. So thirsty to watch that again.

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
KOTD: Ganik vs. Gully 2 event trailer. I have zero interest in any of these matches.

Out of nowhere, Shots Fired Battle League: Geechi Gotti vs. The Sarurus. It's surprisingly fire even though it's a bit sloppy, great performances from both of them. I got Geechi 2-1 in the first and second, but I can easily see it the other way.

Why are battlerap media people so weird? *sigh*
Yeah.. shit is wild and wild embarassing SMH. We needed CHAMPION more than we previously thought.

Last edited:

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Geechi/Saurus is surprisingly pretty entertaining...the chokes had me nervous, but they turned it to a solid bout. Shame Geechi has to go away for a min.

I think I got B. Dot 2-1 against Loso. Lots of content to dissect in that battle, which makes it hard to call.

Tay Roc 3-0 or 2-1 against Diz. Diz proved he could adjust to URL in the first and then completely botched the last two rounds...not sure what the hell he was thinking in the 3rd.

Yeah that Ganik VS. Gully card isn't too crazy. But Krome (he arguably beat JC) and Eddy I are dope, so their matches with Chilla and Ness Lee could end up being surprisingly fire. Also, kinda surprised Saynt and Nun Nunn aren't on the card.

Last edited:
OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
County Ground Battle League: Chess vs. Ty Law.

I think Ty Law tried to get too obscure with all his references in trying to be difference. Chess fumbling as usual but I think he hit harder when he did hit.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, lots of hits and misses from Law in that battle. Chess says some cool stuff but can't keep it together. Decent watch.

Kinda hyped for SS this Saturday. Holmzie/Craig Lamar, Wavy/Twork (HUGE potential for an upset, Twork literally said he was sleeping on him), and Prez/Ryda could all be crazy battles.

THE TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Tgh3pPLJ0

Last edited:

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna catch up on Survivor Series now. GODDAMN at that announcement...wasn't expecting that at all. Lol retiring lol Ars gonna die (then again I said the same thing when he battled Lux...still lol)

Sidenote: KOTD better hurry up and make Daylyt VS. Lux happen on their platform.

Saynt VS. Eddy I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCPuVc_XZ_4

Ton of potential, minus the chokes. Eddy I has a lot of personality, Saynt has bars.

Last edited:

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Griz is solid, he writes some pretty creative stuff. I'm glad he mentioned Craig and Born being similar, i've thought the same thing. Two talented dudes and that either can't catch a break or keep it together. They just lose alot, despite having a ton of potential. Good battle though.

Calicoe VS. Brizz Rawsteen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KckLO2o8Bc

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Avocado editing bringing URL battles back down to under half an hour again, bless. Battle is whatever though. Like Brizz/Calicoe, has it's highs and it's lows and moments when it's just spinning its wheels. I think I got Will 3-0 too though.

Not fucking w/Calicoe vs. Brizz, they each had their moments, but when even the trailer is mediocre, the battle couldn't have been much better.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was really looking forward to this battle...the build-up was GREAT...and to see it come to this is really disappointing. I'm trying to figure out how this battle was in the making for so long...Jimz did all that talking about how this was his best material ever...and everyone is talking about how lackluster the battle was, even before the punch. This was supposed to be Jimz moment and it was completely ruined. Also, this is a really bad look for battle rap. I hope ARP gets to keep that venue.

Sidenote: Gully VS. Ganik......*crickets*

SAVE US SMACK!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
More footage of the brawl afterwards.

Jayblac putting way too much money into this unstable culture of people who don't want to be professionals. The Maths, the Goodz', the Dizasters... they need to be blackballed, I'm sorry. There's more than enough talent to go around that don't steel off on people.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Jimz blog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctLzu7jxr0A

I used to hate Jimz....like really hate him...but he i've really become a huge fan of his, his blogs and battles are really entertaining whether he wins or loses. I'm still interested to see how he evolves from here.

Anyways, can we get some battles please...

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
URL: Stuey Newton vs. Xcel.

Stuey continues to show out, shame he isn't moving up really, still battling around the same comp. I got Stuey in the 1st and 2nd.

T-Top vs. JC coming out on the 13th. Might be T-Top's best performance. Felt he was significantly underrated in Champion of the Year discussions, so many solid performances and I don't know how he got overshadowed despite the names being really good too.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Stuey is super duper average (that is why he isn't moving up lol). This battle did nothing to change my opinion of him (the PH balance bar was kinda hype; the *ch,ch,* jason bar was fire; drake techs for ex bar was aight). Xcel 2-1 ( I put my faith in work, my gods a vice; ratchet lick off sets like cardi-act; I raise the tech stock no nasdaq; oxy, russian, kgb leading into the little cable/satellite scheme was aight), his schemes are well put together without a crazy amount of reaching. Stuey performed better vocally, but this is pretty solid for Xcel (he didn't choke, projected well, and was consistent).

JC stans already getting tight. There is more to battlerap than your pen game, clearly they learned nothing from the Bigg K battle. Illmac, Bigg K, T-Top; JC has a difficult time against opponents that are also competent writers and excel in other attributes. Jokes, delivery, angles, gimmicks, all matter and they always have.

Can we take a moment to shoutout Jay Blac and O-Red for COTY....Blac is setting himself up to be a legend in the culture. He has laid a pretty great foundation!

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I can see Stuey being average in the grand scheme of things. Ultimately, if you don't make noise or make moments, you won't move up, and for the most part Stuey hasn't.

I think JC hype kind of levelled off after the Nitty battle. We ALL had him as battler of the year up until after SM6, but we can't just ignore what came afterwards, especially getting smoked by Twork. JC thinks he can make up for lacking charisma with straight bars but he can't, and I think (like Champion criticizes) when he keeps stopping it cuts into that one biggest strength. Probably my biggest problem with all the WeGoHard guys too, they keep stopping and extend these battles so long that you end up hating both the battle and them as MCs. I think I've kind of grown tired of Chess because of that even before he started choking up a storm.

I've gotten into Champion and COTY recently too and Jayblac is definitely doing a great job. I can't help but think it's straining him financially though, he's putting thousands of his own money into this honestly fairly unstable culture. It's growing, and he's taking a huge risk in investing his time and all into the culture which is fantastic but man, I'd hate for the continual bullshit events in battle rap to have this backfire on him.

That said, COTY was dope and I'd love to see the adjustments they make for next year. Just tells me what I need to catch up on from the last year. They really need to sort out the voting system, arguing system and get some other people like Caps and Battle Rap Chris in there, felt a little too URL biased even for my tastes lol

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
YOOOOOOOO T-TOP VS. BIGG K FOR SMACK VOL.2.

Bigg K has been fire at every point in his career but I'm so ready for him to do his thing in a small room like his breakout Half Past 7 battle.

SMACK repairing all their burned bridges has really pushed them far ahead of other leagues in the last year TBH, the difference it made in the match ups and good battles is so noticeable.